Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

It's supposedly coming out on September 7th, so it will probably be announced next month. The only certain (well, 95% certain) Criterion announcement this month is the von Sternberg set.

Any word if they are handling the other IFC releases (Red Riding, Enter The Void, ect.) I know they are a way off but I'm still a bit curious. Also I cannot loving wait to buy House on blu-ray, god that movie was so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Adrianics posted:

My copy of Picnic Of Hanging Rock, which I ordered because of this thread, arrived today and I can't wait to watch it once I've gotten my days' work done. I'm looking to watch more of Peter Weir's work because I'm a huge fan of The Truman Show and Dead Poets Society. Just wanted to leave a note of thanks for pointing me to it :)

With their current streak of releases I really hope this in the December release plans from Criterion for us region A customers.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Harlock posted:

Should've been the 'I'm too old for this poo poo' edition.

How does a stick of dynamite remotely fit.

I think it was in the opening credits for Lethal Weapon 3 (after they cut the wrong wire on the bomb and blew up the building).

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Maybe Taxi Driver will be through Criterion now that Sony and Image are joint-producing stuff.

If criterion (who wants to do Scorsese) is going to do Taxi Driver what are they odds the color correct the final shootout so it's as Scorsese originally intended.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

What? I just haven't been buying a lot of Blus. I am being frugal, despite not needing to be.

Then you'll be happy to know our sources point to the Barnes and Noble 50% (60% with membership) off criterion sale is starting Nov. 1st.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I assume those documentaries are really long because that's not really 2 disc material if they aren't

I assume they'll be like the docs on Zodiac and Ben Button. If that's the case they will be very long and very much worth watching.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Heads up that season 1 is now 18.49. A great deal for those who've been waiting to see the series or those who want to upgrade from dvd.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 27, 2010

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

drat, I should have looked at the last page. It's Sony, so you know it'll be perfect. No less than a new 4K off the negative supervised by Martin Scorsese, most likely.

I just hope the final sequence will be color corrected one day. The washed out colors work but I want to see it as how he first planned it damnit.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Yay!

It's about time, I really hate it when TV shows take forever to be released on blu-ray/dvd. I'm looking forward to the commentaries as well, those cement it a must buy for me.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Multiplesarcasm posted:

These movies are all solid, diverse and revealing looks into a wide variety of sports topics. I can't recommend them highly enough and if the price goes down about 25% it's on my list. Very pumped they decided to go blu-ray on this and package them all together.

I'm with you on this, the series is the the best thing ever to come out of ESPN (I still can't believe it was Bill Simmons pet project). The documentaries The U, Once Brothers, Muhammad and Larry, Pony Excess, The Two Escobars, and The Best that Never Was are absolutely great and award worthy.

100 bucks is still too expensive for me but I'll buy it when it goes on sale.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 27, 2011

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Somehow I've accumulated 3 copies of The Big Lebowski (it came in a couple different box sets), so now I can turn them into some classic western blurays.

edit: I might be forming an addiction to westerns:

You're missing The Wild Bunch, and the blu-ray is really loving good.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

So is Children of Men the greatest, rarest Blu-Ray in history? Because it came to me in the mail today. There was a sale on Amazon and I ordered it -- in November of last year.

"Your order is now complete."

No Amazon just screws up and things get dead lettered, happened to me with 2001. The rarest blu-ray of a major release is probably Zodiac.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Out of curiosity, what the hell is going on with Zodiac? I think it's been on my wishlist for years but it just never drops below like $25, before shooting up to "collector's" prices. I keep telling myself that it has to be rereleased in greater quantities, yet here we are.

Paramount discontinued it, the Brit version is region-free and about 20 bucks right now.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Hey, isn't a View to a Kill worth it just for the Duran Duran track? I'd gladly pay 30 bucks to have that song in HD quality. It's also the one with Christopher Walken, so it's actually a fair amount of fun.

Even though it's bad I'll always have a soft spot for it since it was the first Bond movie I ever rented. Octopussy is the same, being my actual first, my dad kept me up to see it on TBS when I was six or seven and it got me into Bond.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

OK thanks for that, I was just surprised that the video only got 1 & 1/2. All this talk of Robocop makes me want to watch Robocop.

As someone who owns both get the blu-ray, the old DVD is not formatted for widescreen viewing. It does have a great commentary thought.

And yeah the quality is pretty poor but it's nowhere near as bad in motion, it's noticeable but it's such a great movie it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Jeff Dunham is a piece of poo poo. I just thought I'd put that out there. I'm not even going to waste any thought on finding a clever way to say that. Or attempt to get into detail. He's just a loving piece of poo poo and he probably hates himself.

Every comedian hates himself/herself.

• Locked thread