Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
No Prop 8 discussion? Everyone too busy billing all day with strep throat like me? I love us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

evilweasel posted:

That's what I'm doing right now, but I legitimately don't think they did anything bad so I'm ok with it. I've lucked out on not getting on the side I dislike of cases.

For one matter I've got I'm on a side I friggin DETEST and it's amazing how easy it gets to shut that off.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Kalman posted:

Not really - we do a lot of alternative fee arrangements and we still have to bill. Both because the entire model is really set up to understand things on the billable hours model, and because without attributing hours we have no way of knowing if the AFA is properly priced in the first place. AFAs aren't intended to get away from the billable hour so much as they're intended to provide some cost certainty to a client, preferably with room to negotiate if there's a severe under or overrun in cost.

Plus there's still a ton of industry resistance regardless of what big clients want. If you're a BigLaw associate trying to bring in some young companies who can't afford your billable rate, chances are (like 99.99% chance) partners will laugh at you then tell you to jump on something else instead.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Do we have anyone at Weil and are you OK?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Colorblind Pilot posted:

What makes you think they're laying off first-years?

I mean that's what I thought too. It's not an outrageous assumption. But you probably know than we do. The bigger point is layoffs are scary especially at a shop that is so reputable, and they are especially scary for new associates. It's not like we have books of business to use as bargaining chips. Or even know what the gently caress we're doing half the time.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

tau posted:

Working on the league setup now. Sent out the renewal notices, but if you don't want to play let me know ASAP so I can remove your team and get the players back into the draft pool. THIS IS A KEEPER LEAGUE. MAX OF 3 KEEPERS PER TEAM.

Who's in this year?
- me
- SV
- CmdrSmirnoff

Season starts September 5. Draft will likely be at least two weeks before that. Keeper deadline a few days before draft time. Current keeper deadline: August 23.
Current draft date: August 25, 8:30pm CDT.

Money?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Let this be a lesson to never be candid, keep a low profile and avoid all personal contact:

Sigmachiev: Hey, have a happy Thanksgiving.
Partner: So, you're not coming in tomorrow?
Sigmachiev: No, got a flight to Seattle but I'm staying late tonight and working from home tomorrow.
Partner: Lol, what's that for you, 6:30? We'll have to talk about this when you get back.

Full disclosure: I'm well above the billable goal.

E: Also, don't wish anyone well like ever.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Paging Sulcrist - holler atcha boy sometime on our firm's internal messaging deal.

E; Assuming you came back and didn't clerk, i might be wrong, been out of the loop around these parts.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Hello brothers and sisters. It's been a while. Wish I had some sort of triumphant return post like I won the lotto and I'm out of the industry, but no. Just bitching that my Vault 20 firm isn't matching Cravath and I'm now being paid tens of thousands of dollars below the new market rate. Don't go, no jobs, die alone and feeling under valued and inferior to your peers.

Shout out to my good brother in a secondary East Coast market who is going through this as well. I'll internal message you tomorrow.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

HiddenReplaced posted:

Must be rough working at Wachtell.

JK JK - LOL @ [redacted]. Sorry - they can't give you a raise, they're too busy forking over $250k signing bonuses to SCOTUS clerks in a desperate bid to make it seem like they aren't the loving Walmart of biglaw.

I've got a whole separate tank of negative energy when it comes to the SCOTUS clerk bullshit. I'll stop by the IRC and vent properly here soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

evilweasel posted:

Also, when drafting something, partners will repeatedly redraft or eliminate stuff they themselves put in. Edits aren't a criticism of your work (or theirs) so don't bring it up that it's their own stuff in there they're editing, they can change their mind too.

Do not, ever, just accept someone's track changes and move on. They will be full of typos. You're expected to correct those, especially since doing edits in track changes means it's hard to spot some typos like extra spaces and double periods and doing stuff in track changes always creates those.

This is from a few pages ago but wanted to add that it's also good policy to ask how the lawyer above you likes to receive edits in track. I personally prefer Word since as a midlevel I manage the docs most times, but most partners prefer PDF.

Also didn't see anywhere in the summer associate tips to focus on being a good person who is excited to be there. Especially if you're trying to do deals, the single biggest thing I look for in anyone, whether it's a candidate, a summer or a junior, is someone who I can trust to be in the trenches with me on late nights and weekends. You can be the most brilliant person but if that's not part of your game you are pretty much useless to me and the partners. Otherwise smart lawyers can and do get fired for that.

Hope everyone's well. Welp, back to my biglaw private equity hell.