Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

Has anybody dealt with producing emails but having to redact something from one of the attachments? Is that possible without doing the production in print?

I thought basically every doc review database had that ability. Each attachment is a separate image that can be redacted and you're not producing the raw files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m not using any doc review software. This is just in-house responding to a TPS. I don’t have that much to produce. I’m already producing the contract that needs some light redacting, but some of the emails I’m producing have the contract as an attachment too.

I’ll probably just send the redacted contract, remove the attachments, and ID the emails I removed the contract from. Will I get sanctioned?

Print everything you need to produce but redact to PDF, redact the PDFs, and then produce those. Including the emails with attachments that need to be redacted but do not need to be redacted themselves.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You can redact in adobe.

by the way, highlight your redactions once you're done, ctrl-c, open word, ctrl-v

make drat sure that what you redacted doesn't show up, because it's real easy to just add a black square over the data but leave it there in copyable format and every year some poor soul goofs

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Having it replace CLE would be good.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

As long as there's an equal expectation to give zero effort or attention to it (which is what an acquintance of mine supposedly did while making up hundreds of pro Bono hours during the downturn when she had no work to bill)

having it be an option to replace cle, not mandatory; pay attention to your pro bono work!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, Nightmare mode:

What would make a state CLE setup be more effective?

required comprehension tests following the CLE for non in-person classes beyond the "type out the code to prove you listened"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

if they wanted people to understand those, they wouldn't have told everyone exactly where the code should be, imo

my personal favorite was that 12 hour long online cle i did required you to press a button every so often that would pop up to show you were paying attention

but when the button would pop up it would bring itself to the front and grab the os priority so you could not miss it short of not even being near the computer

that was great, more cles should do that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Pro bono would work well if, say, the government taxed everyone and set up funds for free legal services and paid lawyers to provide them. Of course then if you accepted LawAid or LawCare funds you would have to deal with every idiot in the legal questions megathread at $90/he so maybe that sucks actually.

$90 per hour with zero overhead is a $172k/year job, assuming you take a month of unpaid vacation a year and work 40 hour weeks otherwise so, uh, that's a pretty good deal. You'd have to pay for your own benefits but w/e.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

We'll never have a nationwide lawyer licensing service so this doesn't do much benefit. Dropping CA, NY, and FL lawyers onto North Dakota oil fields isn't going to help anyone there that needs a ND lawyer.

just abolish ND and allow NY or CA to annex it as a colony

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nonexistence posted:

It's always surprising to me how many attorneys have to actually convince themselves they're right. If one side isn't bullshitting there's usually an honest open question as to the law or a critical fact that reasonable minds could disagree on, but rather than just say "oh ok I'll just paint this in the light most favorable to my client because that's my job," some attorneys honestly must convince themselves that they are objectively right and any other position is obviously wrong, and I'm not talking about just grandstanding to others like that's the case. Like just play the hand you're dealt, there's no need for the cognitive dissonance that your pair of 7s is a royal flush.

It makes perfect sense, because you're more believable if you appear to believe in your position. Also, cognitive dissonance means you tend to start believing what you say, even if you knew it was bullshit to begin with.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nice piece of fish posted:

So in the US, law enforcement is under no obligation to inform about rights and such if you're merely being questioned without some form of detaining going on, regardless whether or not you're an actual suspect? hosed up if true.

it makes sense in the abstract: the police shouldn't need to read people their rights when they're interviewing witnesses who nobody suspects at the time. further, it is important that there be some sort of notification when things have progressed from "you were around, what did you see?" to "we think you did it and you're not free to leave"

the problem, of course, comes in the grey area between the two and naturally the police are happy to push the envelope and courts have been largely happy to let them

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nice piece of fish posted:

Want to hear something hosed up? Russia is like a, maybe not favourite, but pretty common vacation goal for norwegians (let's face it, you have cheap and decent food and booze). Guy went over there recently, beat his wife so bad she ended up in the hospital, came back home and police couldn't prosecute the fucker because... it happened in Russia. And in Russia, you get to beat your spouse once for free!

Since the norwegian penal code only allows you to prosecute criminal acts that are illegal both in Norway and in [country in question], the guy walks.

Frankly, my opinion is that this is a failiure of the legislature to predict hosed up laws in other countries and a failiure to follow the state's positive obligation to prosecute after ECHR art. 3 from the more dynamic interpretation of preventative duty from latter years Court practice. I would have loved to sue the state over this poo poo. Probably would have lost but gently caress if it isn't wrong.

i can see how you would reason yourself into such a law, not wanting to criminalize (to use a us-centric example) a 19 year old who drinks on vacation abroad, or someone who smokes pot in amsterdam. but it seems pretty basic to exclude crimes where there is a victim and that victim is also one of your citizens.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

this is one of the funnier documents i have read in my time and i suggest you all read it, and then snicker to think about what is going to get unleashed when it's no longer about nonsense like the ordering of trials: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/4594533/7-11-18-US-Oppo-Manafort-Motion-to-Continue.pdf

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

lmao did this dumdum not know his calls were being recorded

the best part is that, by definition, he did this after he got thrown in jail because mueller intercepted his attempts at witness tampering

so he should have gotten it beaten into him that everything he said and did was getting watched by mueller even if someone forgot to mention all jailhouse calls are recorded!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Staryberry posted:

Has anyone sought professional help to deal with burn-out? I'm in a job that should be the best job for me, (no commute, relatively low stress, flexible, reasonable hours) but I'm miserable. I'm overwhelmed by my totally reasonable workload, and every time I enter the office I am paralyzed by a mix of anxiety and malaise. I don't know if this is linked to being a lawyer, being in this area of law, being in this job, or if I'm just a broken person who is bad at work. I don't know if I need a therapist or a career coach or what. I spoke to one career coach who charged $10,000! I suppose if that guaranteed I wouldn't be a ball of sadness for 8+ hours a day, it might be worth it, but I doubt there is any such guarantee.

That sounds like an anxiety disorder and/or depression which is a common and treatable medical issue. Talk to your doctor and get a therapist/psychiatrist referral.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GET MONEY posted:

What characteristics make a person likely to really enjoy a biglaw job? Other than a taste for self-flagellation.

cognitive immunity to stress works for me

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

It was to change the headlines away from Trump being Putin’s rentboy.

It was because Cohen had already leaked it to the NYT.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Whatever happened to Warszawa?

i thought we just went over that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

One is a likely crack addict whose complaint doesn’t describe anything I can verify. The other is a frequent flyer that can’t describe why his damages are higher than the amount he owes us. Maybe he’ll settle for wiping his balance, but talking to him I’m 50:50 on that.

Both pro se of course. Obviously if the damages are less than two billable hours, just settle. But that sucks. The damages alleged here are $25k (jurisdictional limit) and $5k, respectively.

sounds like a good chance for you to stretch your in-court litigating muscles against some pro se plaintiffs

counterpoint: if you lose to a pro se expect to get mocked about it for the rest of your career

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Vox Nihili posted:

That's grotesque.

that pretty much sums up any aspect of the texas legal system you can name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jesus gently caress this thread is eight years old