Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Counterpoint: I got hugged once in 5-6 years of family law. It was one hug too many.

Edit: also I never gave back money.

I consider it my advertising budget. If people are happy, I get more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

sounds like you gave a girl 100 bucks because she's hot

I also gave the 60 year old lady with a $100,000 estate a capped fee last week but that's not as good of a story.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Nice piece of fish posted:

You slept with her didn't you.

Not even with your parts

The mediator listened to this lady bitch for two hours, took me outside and said "she's so crazy I wouldn't hire her to pick up branches from my yard."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nm posted:

I got tamales from a woman who's theft charge I got dismissed (which kept her from being deported). She was accused of stealing tamale ingredients.
(Allegedly) stolen tamales, best tamales.

I got hugged by a few clients, mostly it was weird. I don't do human contact. Though after NGs (or hangs followed by dismissals), I totally get it. They were all women, and mostly all DUIs. Tamale lady did not hug me. She was smart, food is the true way to please me.

Oh man I love when people give me tamales

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Just cite Leviticus or the code of Hammurabi instead

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This is my baby. He's the best.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

I don't know what g&s is and am not going to look it up. Plus I'm too busy discoing around Japan in Yakuza 0

This is more me.

Majima is the best videogame character I've seen in years.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

I'm enjoying Kiryu more but I'm only at chapter 5. Majimas intro was phenomenal though

kiryu being 100% serious when fighting Yakuza crime lords and also 100% serious when karaoking or answering the phone is phenomenal. It's really got metal gear vibes of tonal whiplash that elevates the material

The loving massage place with majima my God

Ok

So

Yakuza 0 Majima isn't the same Majima as the rest of the series in terms of temperament. He's like Japanese Deadpool. But way more awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lycnnem2kFI&t=0m16s No spoilers in this.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Why is he wearing that hat

Also why are kiryu and majima forced to wear shirts so much, there's no reason they should ever do that

Because he owns a loving awesome construction company

Go do all the karaoke songs. I mean it. They're the best.

My wife: "Every Kiryu sub-story is the same. Someone does something wrong. Kiryu makes a stank face and beats everyone to death."

Me: "Is there anything wrong with that?"

Her: "Nah, I think it's great."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 8, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Eminent Domain posted:

This streak of opposing parties not showing up for their family law hearings is making my life super easy. Karma's due to spike my wheel any day now.

I hate defaults in family law. They're much more trouble in the long run because the defaulted party goes "This is bullshit I never got my day in court!! This isn't justice! I'm not doing this poo poo!" And turns into a loving lump or challenges the judgment.

I lost my poo poo, laughing in court. I was doing a default judgment today. My client was appearing over court call. He would not shut the gently caress up. Every question I asked him would result in a rambling three minute speech.

I have reasonable control of him and shut him down. Then the judge starts asking minor questions. And the guy would not shut the gently caress up. And the judge is waving his hands and rolling his eyes and making hand gestures at me trying to get him to stop.

And I'm just losing my poo poo silently laughing, shoulders shaking and head in my hands in front of the courtroom. A good day.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm doing a protective order hearing in front of a Judge today. The other attorney is a baby. Like two years younger than me. And I've never heard of him.

And he's a silly young man who thinks he can win this P.O. when his client is in jail with $500,000.00 bond for assaulting my client.

And I go in expecting him and he goes, "Did you get my notice of appearance?"

I did not.

And some old dude walks in who owns the living poo poo out of the courtroom. Just complete comfort, shreds up and down and back and forth.

It's to the point where I'm impressed.

I still win but run home and google this dude.

"Chief felony prosecutor for (county) for 15 years."

Oh. That makes sense.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Yeah I hit a deep depression yesterday when I was working my rear end off and was like "I'm going to have to fight these assholes for payment. All of them."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I think I'm going to have to start upping my game and dressing better. I used to purposefully dress a little shaggy to have people underestimate me but at this point my client base has evolved to the point where opposing counsel are flashy as hell.

gently caress.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I am glad I do not do that kind of law and instead my law is all "My ex is withholding my three year old because she made a sexual outcry to the policeman he took her to to tell the policeman my boyfriend stuck his finger in her butthole" law.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Do something else. If you can succeed at law, you can pretty much succeed at anything.

Go be an actuary or something.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GET MONEY posted:

Too much math for my tastes

Put in the hours. If you can do big law, you can learn math.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Here's a day in the life of a solo family law practitioner:

7:30: Wake up. See whatever hosed up in the night. Do e-mails, hop in the shower, dress for work.

8:30: Court. Likely a prove-up.

9:00: Usually some sort of hearing. I'm in court 3 to 5 days a week.

11:30: Get back to office. Pick up phone messages, start making calls.

12:00: Usually a consultation.

1:00: Lunch.

2:00-5:30: More consultations, phone calls, drafting, emails. Hearing prep.

5:30: Gym.

7:00: Fix the poo poo that broke when I was in the gym.

7:30: Cook and eat with the wife and dog.

8:30: Games and emails.

10:30: Reading

11:30: Pass out.

4:00: Wake up with anxiety, toss and turn for an hour.

I'm here 6 days a week. Sunday it's from 12-7ish.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
This week's situation:

My client insists her husband is cheating on her with another woman. Insists on it.

I bring up this concern with OC. He says there's no other woman.

My client goes "I got a picture of her from one of his friends" and shows it to me three days later.

The other woman? Also my client.

I call OC, tell him I'm probably out due to a conflict. Client 1 and Client 2 both beg me to remain as lawyer and even say they'll sign conflict waivers. I think I need to get out from Client 1 because the same loving judge is hearing both cases.

He says, "Found out about Kim, huh?"

Fucker. He knew the whole time.

That whole situation is hosed up.

Client 1 (wife) is friends with client 2 (friend) who is friends with client 3 (girlfriend). Client 2's husband cheated on her with Client 4. Client 5 is Client 1's mom.

So out of 7 people, I've represented 5 of them.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 22, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I see a lawyer in the Courthouse that I've had one case against. She works for big firms.

"Hey Scraps, I'm looking for an associate. Want a job?"

"Nah."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm going to quit this poo poo, I'm a terrible businessman.

How do you say "Jesus loving christ I'm not finalizing your divorce until you pay me you loving deadbeat? NO, two weeks later isn't acceptable because then you'll just avoid me."

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 25, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'll think about it.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I shook down three clients for money and made $4500. Crisis averted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CaptainScraps posted:

I had jury duty in the civil courthouse today.

The courthouse where I am four days out of the week. Every week.

So I get into the venire panel and I recognize Plaintiff's counsel. He was the guy I was told to watch to learn how to try cases seven years ago. I tell that to the Judge and the venire panel and he laughs.

And then, instead of trying for strikes, Plaintiff's counsel does his damned best to prime the jury pool. And I'm helping. Because every time he asks the easy questions, he has me hit the hard questions. Things like:

"Does anyone think these kinds of accidents preventable?"

*holds up card*

"Yes, Mr. Scraps?"

"Almost all of these accidents are preventable if the employer is willing to spend a few dollars insuring the safety of their employees instead of thinking about their bottom line."

And

"Why would an employee do something dangerous?"

*holds up card*

"Yes, Mr. Scraps?"

"Unequal bargaining power. The employee probably needs the job a lot more than the employer needs them."

Defense counsel was PISSED.

Fun fact, they ended up giving Plaintiff $500K for his injuries sustained from falling off a ladder.

I asked a different judge what should the lawyers have done and he said, "The defense counsel should have approached and asked the judge to send you home ASAP. It was worth wasting a peremptory strike to have that poison out."