Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I hope it's Iowa tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

Pook Good Mook posted:

I won't lie to you, I'm really happy with my job, and for me things worked out. But I didn't NEED a specific job to be "make it work," and I wasn't really giving much up in opportunity cost (aside from the free trips I was taking). But I'm fairly unique among my friends, many of whom are already changing out of law. For the love of God, we aren't being contrarian to be contrarian, we are all smart people who get paid to give advice, don't go to law school.

Don't think I'm not seriously taking these warnings under advisement. It's just this school was a long-held dream, and the alternative in my home country is literally the polar opposite opportunity -- though a literal fraction of the cost.

I could always test the waters by just going for 1L and if I suck after a couple semesters I'm not out THAT much..

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I hope it's Iowa tbh

Me too. I just don't think we could call our alumni network "extensive."

And Iowa Law is no one's "long-held dream."

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 19, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Do something else. If you can succeed at law, you can pretty much succeed at anything.

Go be an actuary or something.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

CaptainScraps posted:

Do something else. If you can succeed at law, you can pretty much succeed at anything.

Go be an actuary or something.

Too much math for my tastes

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

GET MONEY posted:

Too much math for my tastes

Put in the hours. If you can do big law, you can learn math.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Eminent Domain posted:

I appreciate that a new sacrificial 0L appears as the last one finishes bleeding out.

It's the circle of life, except Scar is dropping Simba off of Pride Rock into a pit of hyenas.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

GET MONEY posted:

Don't think I'm not seriously taking these warnings under advisement. It's just this school was a long-held dream, and the alternative in my home country is literally the polar opposite opportunity -- though a literal fraction of the cost.

I could always test the waters by just going for 1L and if I suck after a couple semesters I'm not out THAT much..

How useful is an American JD in your home country?

Rack up the debt in America, bounce out with your JD

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

If ya'll are bored, click the "?" for GET MONEY and enjoy.

Thanks. I like how I didn't remember him yet posted this months ago

me posted:

you're an rear end in a top hat who selectively reads things to only see things that already fit his point of view, you'll fit in perfectly.

He's a tech guy going through a mid life crisis so who gives a poo poo

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

He's a tech guy going through a mid life crisis so who gives a poo poo

Why don't people just buy porsches and start sleeping with the marketing interns? That's way more financially responsible than going to law school.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GET MONEY posted:

Of course, but it seems like a floor of A- or ~3.7 for biglaw consideration (with median being ~B+/3.3-3.7) and grading standards have that at ~30% of the class.

Do you know how grading curves work?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

This dumbass thinks that law will be "researching archaic statutes" to write "ex parte motions." Think about what a gigantic misunderstanding of law practice he has. And now he doesn't want to learn math, but would rather spend 200k and 3 years to come out of school earning 35k/year as a rural family law attorney.

Goddamn think about this. The insanity of a thread of people WHO ARE MOSTLY SUCCESSFUL telling you this isn't what you think it's not with it. Instead you're going to go with some matlock inspired fantasy.

YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET INTO A WORTHWHILE LAW SCHOOL.ah gently caress it go to law school

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
He also can't make a decision over the course of months. Definitely cut out for it

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

EwokEntourage posted:

How useful is an American JD in your home country?

Rack up the debt in America, bounce out with your JD

I'd have to do another year of accreditation, but the American school might actually be better reputed than the Canadian school I'm in at.

homullus posted:

Do you know how grading curves work?

Isn't it they have to give a fixed amount of A's/B's/C's? So if I no longer have to be objectively good, just relatively better than my peers (yes I know they are probably extremely good too).

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This dumbass thinks that law will be "researching archaic statutes" to write "ex parte motions." Think about what a gigantic misunderstanding of law practice he has. And now he doesn't want to learn math, but would rather spend 200k and 3 years to come out of school earning 35k/year as a rural family law attorney.

Goddamn think about this. The insanity of a thread of people WHO ARE MOSTLY SUCCESSFUL telling you this isn't what you think it's not with it. Instead you're going to go with some matlock inspired fantasy.

YOU WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO GET INTO A WORTHWHILE LAW SCHOOL.ah gently caress it go to law school

Lol, that was facetious. Things like this sound fun to me, but for the alleged stress: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=228583&start=250#p8082724

And you guys fully talked me out of the regional TTT w/ scholly I had before, but now I actually got in extremely late off the waitlist to my dream school so I'm faced with the decision anew.

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 19, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Name the school

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Name the school

Ya seriously, this makes a huge loving difference.

Or it would, except for the fact that you've already said that you need biglaw to "make it work." Whatever school you got into, the advice is still: don't go absent a full scholarship.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 19, 2018

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

I think it's pretty obvious from my post history. Someone guessed it further upthread.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

GET MONEY posted:

Of course, but it seems like a floor of A- or ~3.7 for biglaw consideration (with median being ~B+/3.3-3.7) and grading standards have that at ~30% of the class.

This is true, especially since I'd be in a whole new jurisdiction with zero familiarity. I'm not going for the money at all, but like I said it becomes a necessity should I take on the debt.

I haven't per se, but I've been self-employed for a stretch, so I'm semi-used to not being able to sleep/putting out fires at any hour. If you love what you do you never have to work a day in your life, right? :jerkbag:

Nah

I have this to the point people have questioned whether I'm actually human

:coolfish:

Yeah go to law school, you'll definitely get into Biglaw and life will be awesome and you'll make partner.

Can you please do me one favor though and post periodic updates in this thread? Thanks!

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I am one of the most successful people ITT and I practiced law for 1 year out of law school before loving off to go do something, anything else

now I'm about to hire some lawyers to do things and basically pay them to spend time doing things I don't want to do

do not go to law school, but if you do, definitely document your life in detail so toona can laugh at it with the rest of us

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
This thread should open a law school

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Name the school

He said it's the third best school in its regional market.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

GET MONEY posted:

I think it's pretty obvious from my post history. Someone guessed it further upthread.

you sound like a joy to work with, employable biglaw guy.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Adar posted:

do not go to law school, but if you do, definitely document your life in detail so toona can laugh at it with the rest of us

This is the best part of the thread. We keep getting fresh meat, despite our best efforts, and then the former fresh meat get to make fun of them to take some of the sting off.

I am finishing up my 3rd week of vacation, nothing has gone right (broken bike, food poisoning, hot assaulted, and sick today) and it is still way better than playing at being a lawyer, even a cushy govt one. So go to law school, come to California, get state job, take advantage of like 5-6 weeks of vacation?

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

He said it's the third best school in its regional market.

Nah, it's the first best now.

nm posted:

So go to law school, come to California, get state job, take advantage of like 5-6 weeks of vacation?

Is that an option for a foreign invader like myself?

GET MONEY fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 19, 2018

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

GET MONEY posted:

I think that's just called the best

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

I thought law was about precision

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GET MONEY posted:

I'm halfway there. Is that an option for a foreign invader like myself?
I don't think we require you to be a citizen.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

nm posted:

I don't think we require you to be a citizen.

what's the visa category though? it's not like H1Bs are even a real thing these days

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nm you got assaulted? That sucks

Maybe this tweet can convince got money to do the right thing
https://twitter.com/rajandelman/status/1019772202344906753

In terms of my legal life I
A) have been trying to provide advice to a friend who got stiffed out of 200 bucks of security deposit. Everyone I suggest wants 300 dollars up front or more. I don't have the time or money to represent him pro bono. It sucks.
B) my father in law is suggesting I go into IT compliance where I'd need to get certifications. I think at this point I either go for a relativity cert or this compliance cert , since the only way out of my doc review pit is to train in something else and this is much more reasonable than going back to school. Worried about the time and energy to do this but after ten years I guess it's time to give upa (something I did too often early and not enough of late) . It's either this or I go back to making mid 50k and driving 4 hours a day to various courthouses to do a bunch of default evictions until I get evicted myself.
C) a former coworker of mine at the foreclosure firm ended up on my document review project (her second one ever) and mentioned she'd applied to the same job opening for combined discovery and foreclosure litigation that I'd seen. Took her seven interviews and she finally got it. I never got a response to my application. She came over and high fived me out of the blue when she got it. Thanks.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

evilweasel posted:

cognitive immunity to stress works for me
Yeah, that helps.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What's everyone's record on deliberation?

I just had a jury come back with a 12-0 defense verdict after 8 minutes and 8 seconds. Shattered my firm's previous record.

9 hours is my shortest, conviction for conspiracy to import cocaine, three accused.

We don't get many jury trials up here and they're all serious.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Are there any veterans in here that have gone to law school? A handful of the t14 schools offer full rides via the Yellow Ribbon program.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's ucla

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If so:

From their website:

California Resident: $45,660.87
Non-Resident: $52,154.87
Health insurance: $3,901.94* (required unless you can show comparable coverage)

Off campus cost of living: $23,214

Total estimated cost of three years, including the mandatory insurance: $237,812.43.

Not including moving fees. Assuming you make approx. $50k per year as an IT guy in a corporation (likely an underestimation) - $150k in lost wages, not including any unforeseeable opportunities (promotions, networking getting you a new job).

You are going to lose about $400k on a maybe. And that isn't including interest on the loans.

And you need to do a fourth year to certify in Canada

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

Ah, so I'm guessing that 80% scholarship is off the table? Could you negotiate up to a full ride at the "third best" school in light of this development maybe?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

UCLA isn't the third best school in the market because despite the geographical and cultural divide, Stanford and Berkeley exist.
And USC has so much alumni pull, it is hard to say, strictly, that getting a job out of UCLA will be easier than USC.

Adar posted:

what's the visa category though? it's not like H1Bs are even a real thing these days
This assumes a work visa as big law ain't getting a visa for a first-year associate out of ucla.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 19, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GET MONEY posted:

I thought law was about precision

The practice of law, at least at the biglaw associate level, is 75% trying not to sound like an idiot even when you have no idea what's going on and 25% answering work emails at 1 am.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

nm posted:

UCLA isn't the third best school in the market because despite the geographical and cultural divide, Stanford and Berkeley exist.
And USC has so much alumni pull, it is hard to say, strictly, that getting a job out of UCLA will be easier than USC.

Texas? Definitely best in the market. What the hell was the third best? Houston? Total cost of attendance at Texas for three years at $225k, excluding opportunity costs.

Do it.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

nm posted:

This assumes a work visa as big law ain't getting a visa for a first-year associate out of ucla.

Technically, USC is now better than UCLA for biglaw:

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/usc/
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/ucla/

41.1% + 2.9% clerkships vs 36.9% + 3.6% clerkships.