Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Does BigLaw ever get better? 2nd year and Im tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

nm posted:

Yes, when you use that job on your resume to get a sweet government job and rediscover weekends. (Also, loans gone in 10 years.)

The only point of big law is loans gone in like 3 years. this $3000 a month better be doing something.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

nm posted:

Sanity is worth something.
Also pensions and vacations you're expected to use. I get like 5-6 weeks of vacation with one week mandatory vacation. It is pretty sweet. I turned down probably $40k more per year for this job, and I don't regret it.
You can't enjoy money if you don't have time to spend it on cool poo poo. (Rent and leased cars are not cool poo poo)

When I started law school, I did it with the promise of a job in a minor local governmental office. I was seduced, and regret my decision every single day. I don't even get the cool leased car because of loans, and drive an 11 year old toyota :(

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I dont really get stressed out easily and it usually isnt hard to figure out who is competent and who to give the horrible tasks that require no thought to that they cant gently caress up.

All tasks can be hosed up.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Who knew there were so many litigators in the world -- all binders and paperwork.

For transactional work, I have almost no paper anything -- the only time I ever have paper copies is because the partner prints out the doc and puts in hand marks. Young partners use track changes though because it's 2016.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Arcturas posted:

Do people not know how to use metadata scrubbers? There's approximately one million different apps and plugins for Word, Adobe's apps, and Outlook that will auto-scrub everything going outside your firm's e-mail domain. Most of them link in to your DMS as well.

Yeah -- my firm has the meta data scrubber pop up automatically before any document goes to an external address. You have to stop and think for a second whether you want it scrubbed or want to retain the meta data.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

So maybe a recommendation? I had a family friend ask me today for an attorney that can help them through an identity theft situation. I am a transactional lawyer so not any help at all.

This would be in Houston/East Texas.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

When do you get to leave big law for a sweet 9-6 $250k in house job? 4 years or so?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

nm posted:

Fun fact:
Americans will always bitch about how hard they work regardless of how hard they actually work.
Exception is govt lawyers in this thread because 1. We like to brag 2. We want everyone else to get on the gravy train.

I've billed 52 hours so far this week (Sun - Wed)...I billed 5 today.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

RFX posted:

10 court days for trial - nearly 2 full weeks (dark on Mondays) and we've been in jury selection + trial since Tuesday.

And yeah, my plan is to try to do a couple of hours each night and on weekends to stay at least close to hours target and I should be able to make up the rest over the course of the year, it's just always awful to start behind. One day I too will become a government law goon and will no longer have to worry about billable hours. If anyone has any idea on how to do that, as a transactional attorney, while staying in southern California, I'd love to hear it.

In House life is the only way.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This was my Con Law prof :(

http://news3lv.com/news/local/unlv-law-professor-in-critical-condition-after-brutal-attack-in-henderson

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

Nope, it was a former cop turned judge up in Denton County. He started flipping through our 80 page divorce decree and I told him "Judge, it's 80 pages, do you think we forgot anything?" "Point taken, counselor."

In other news, I had dinner last night with my cousin's fiancee, who graduated from University of Houston Law Center and passed the bar and didn't have a job.

I asked what he wanted to do and he told me he wanted to be in a big firm because they made so much money.

I started laughing.

I went to UHLC, I work in big law, I don't exercise, I don't eat right, I work 100 hours a week and I see my family that lives in the same city as me less than my sibling that has to fly here to see them. Basically tell him he's better off for it.

Also - it's pretty impossible to break into big-law as a junior out of a poo poo tier school like UH if not through the OCI process.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Point: I paid off my law school loans today. It took 3 years.

Counterpoint - 900 hours billed in Q4 (kill me).

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

JohnCompany posted:

Congrats! Drinks to both celebrate and forget!

So when are you moving in-house?

As soon as I find a good one. I just missed the holy grail. At the beginning of December, the Astros published an opening for AGC of my hometown baseball team, I didn't find out about it until yesterday, the position was filled and the ad pulled down on Dec. 30.

Here I am still billin' hours.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 5, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Signed a deal last week, didn't work at all last weekend, billed an hour today. Life is good, maybe this profession isn't so bad after all....

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

For those that made the transition from Big Law to In-House (or even better, out of law to a business role), how did you actually do it? I get dozens of emails and calls each month about lateralling to other firms, but have never once heard from a recruiter regarding an in-house position. I'm completely ignorant on the subject of how to make the transition. Our clients are mostly PE, so transitioning to a client is near impossible as their in-house lawyers are essentially SEC compliance and fund formation/maintenance and I know absolutely nothing about either of those fields (and they sound relatively boring).

So for those who have made the switch, how did you do it? how did you find your job? how did your comp structure change (was it drastic?) and am I just looking at a grass is greener situation where in house will just be more of the same poo poo?

It's a little early for me to be thinking of it as I'm still a 3rd year associate (conventional wisdom says the sweet spot is years 5-6 for the the transition), but I need to start looking forward at this point, I'm not sure I can stomach the job day in and day out without some sort of future goal away from the firm.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

HiddenReplaced posted:

This is why you aren't getting calls about in-house jobs. As a midlevel / senior associate I get contacted about in-house gigs pretty regularly.

As for getting jobs through PE clients, depending on skillset sometimes even if they won't hire you for the actual fund they will hire you to work for one of their acquired targets.

Yeah - there is always the hope of joining a portfolio company with sweet incentive equity, but those jobs are very few and far between.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kimsemus posted:

I'm finishing my 1L year, and landed an internship at the U.S. State Department, I wonder how lucky I got versus how much already having a security clearance helped. My career services office said it was a 11 out of 10 position since I want to go back to working for the fed anyway. A few of my classmates are pretty salty about it, so I don't know.

V10 or bust homie. No prestige in serving your country - Weil will be much better equipped to deploy your unique talents in service of sophisticated clients.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I take my first vacation in three years and I get the loving flu coming home. And I got a flu shot too.

WTF do you do that you've had no time off in three years? My firm lets us free a few times a year.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The difference between "vacations" and "trips" is very real.

For awhile, I considered weekends that weren't spent billing vacations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

A few days/pages late, but this guy has all the traits needed to be a good lawyer. Dead inside, eyes that say "my kids hate me", mild sociopathy, obsession with inane details, smug self satisfaction (the INTELLECTUAL RIGOR OF CONTRACT DRAFTING).

Basically this dude is the only good lawyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0XWSBAe-1U&t=77s

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The most law school thing ever written:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/move-over-moot-court-budding-deal-lawyers-get-their-own-competition-1489496400

quote:

Elizabeth Roberts, a 24-year-old student at University of Southern California Gould School of Law, said she initially wanted to work after graduating with children going through the family-court system. Then she learned more about business and finance, including through the deal competition, and was hooked.

“I went to law school thinking I wanted to help people,” she said. “I’d like to tell myself I’m still going to help people” by becoming a mergers-and-acquisitions and debt-finance lawyer. But in any event, “it’s really interesting work.”

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

The picture might be even better - I hate these guys already.

http://imgur.com/a/kdL5r

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 28, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Old guy in the corner suite
Works upstairs and checks my timesheet
He's there just to make sure we bill hours,
Without ever taking a shower

Partner in Charge
Of our days and our nights
Partner in Charge
Of our souls and our cites

And I sing, I want,
I want Partner in Charge of me

This is....my life :(

I guess I don't cite things

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

im surrounded by horrible bitter lawyers intent on being complete assholes to everyone else that's "beneath" them and then their animosity is skyrocketing as their poor planning backfires on them and god I just don't want to work anywhere ever again

that being said is there a good term for white collar working class. everything I've ever done has been assembly line style but my shirts don't have my name on it as much as I'd like them to

Get your initials embroidered on your cuff like a decent member of society.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

I think the most important thing I learned in my first year in law school is that I don't want to be a loving lawyer

One year of my life wasted is better than 3 years + a lifetime of doing something I don't want to do. Dropping out. Thanks in advance for the congratulations.

You'll never know the prestige of a v10 though? Is life even worth living without that?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

[I'll won't] experience the joy of making a bunch of money that I never have a chance to spend because I'm spending 80 hours a week doing busy work for assholes and then get fired after 10 years because there's a whole new crop of desperate millenials who will do the same work basically for free [NTD: Revise to reflect that junior associate work will be replaced by Watson and other machine learning software rather than new law school grads]

Not that I'm criticizing the lives of anyone in the thread. Being a lawyer is a unique life experience and all of you seem to be owning the situation with as much dignity and grace as you can muster

Look - I don't know how many times I have to say this, but you really need to focus on your attention to detail. Our clients don't pay top dollar for you to make rookie mistakes like that. It's the easiest way to find yourself on the outside here. We want nothing more than for you to succeed, but at some point, we'll have to discuss whether this is really the right career choice for you.

Thanks - please revise and turn the comment with my revisions in the next hour or so.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Non Serviam posted:

It's ok if you don't like the job, and if you think it's not a wise economic decision to study this. There are many valid reasons to drop out or to choose a different career. Having said that, you can shove your condescension up your rear end. The fact that you couldn't hack first year of law school shouldn't fill you with so much undeserved pride.

Also, spelling and grammar are important, even outside of law. "You'll won't" experience any profitable job if you write like an idiot.

hahahahahha - I hope this is real.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

"Holy poo poo, I'm so glad I'm free from the life I was ill-suited for that was slowly killing me. If only I had listened"

Nah - that dude sucks, don't apologize. You made the right decision, shouldn't be embarrassed and coming to this realization at a young age shows a high level of self-awareness that will serve you well. Most of us didn't come to the conclusion that being a lawyer is incompatible with living a healthy and fulfilling life until it is much too late.

I hope you crush it in the future and am sincerely jealous that you don't have to be a lawyer.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Lotta advice here for the summer associates. It's all dumb - they will give you an offer if you do these two things:

1) Do your work on time (meet internal deadlines) and try a little bit.
2) Don't get wasted at summer events

Done - you have a job.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You posted this from work didn't you

:(

The correct answer is big law is stupid and summer associates should do other, cooler poo poo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

SlyFrog posted:

Except we have non-offered numerous summer associates who did those two things, but were otherwise annoying.

Like we literally non-offered the one I spoke about earlier who was constantly babbling about how she was experienced at life and knew things they younger people couldn't because of her age. Because she was a condescending know-it-all, and no one wanted to work with her.

So if "try a little bit" means, "Don't be a condescending dolt," then yes, I guess we have the same advice. But there are a lot of things you can do to irritate people. Some of which, at the right firms, will result in a non-offer.

We have only non-offered in my brief time for those two things. But, I'm a third year and new to this, so YMMV.

However, I have a distinct preference for older summer associates (likely not the ones you describe though). You have to train "K through JDs" how to be a lawyer and also how to have a job. It's very annoying.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The concept of K through JD really bothers me, even though that's almost what I did.

One of our K through JDs bought a $100k+ sports car. When the revolution comes, he will be guillotined.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

My friend was a SA at a major firm and her firm just decided at some point that they didn't need half of their summers, so she got cut with a good review.

It's not 2010 anymore, this kind of thing doesn't happen today.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

I didn't even know there were firms in existence that offer 401(k) match. Consider my eyes opened. I've worked at two places - v100 and v10 - both with no match for anything but HSA.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Sitting at graduation. Speakers have been going for 90 minutes. This is a pounding.

I was the graduation speaker at law school. I did 5 minutes - any longer is torture.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Being a lawyer is terrible. Law School is terrible. Law Review is the most terrible part of Law School.

Maybe this dude will parlay his top 7% ranking and law review into a job at my firm where the glimmer and hope in his eye will quickly fade into cynicism, alcoholism and depression.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

evilweasel posted:

law school was loving great

like 3h a day of classes, maybe 1h of reading, a shitload of video game time, no tests until exam time

i don't know how anyone could dislike law school

I went to a TTT and needed to be top 10% and law review to cop big law. No bueno.

E: You like big law too, so I think we are just personality incompatible.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 26, 2017

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Hey, I asked for application advice ITT a while back and displayed my massive ignorance and general shameful optimism, and now I'm more pessimistic but still making a go of it. Through the process I managed to whittle down my choices to either Wake or Bama with the understanding that I both enjoy the Southeast and that if I wanted to go home (Buffalo), the market in my home city mainly recruits from its t3 state school and my higher ranked out of state degree would stand a fighting chance in that sense (assuming decent performance). I could attend either of these schools for between 5-10k tuition per year, which didn't make me want to run and scream, I guess.

Today, I got cold-called by Cuse offering me full tuition. I hadn't really considered the school because I figured if I wanted to get a leg up on networking at home I'd just stay home rather than go to central NY. The school's ranking is obviously quite lower than my other options, but proximity to home and no tuition cost has me thrown off a bit. I don't have any biglaw aspirations, and have connections at a few firms and businesses at home as well as within local and state government. No explicit "yeah of course we'll hire you" or anything but a soft internship offer with a state office, which is a start.

On a more personal note, I've recently discovered my father and uncle are both in poor health and might not last three years. I think that may be clouding my judgment as to what's best for me, and I'd appreciate a more objective read. If nothing else it's therapeutic to express what I'm feeling, I guess.

Take the 'Cuse Money and stay home. Freedom of movement for a Bama or Wake grad is minimal unless you're top 10% or law review - you can't really count on either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don't really want to live/work in NYC, and Cornell didn't want to play ball. I could probably improve my 170 to 172 or so but i don't know if that would move the needle given my low gpa from ugrad

SUNY buffalo isn't particularly strong and they skimped out on aid because I live here. Cuse would be fine for the buffalo market though, I'll probably take it and get the most out of it I possibly can

Go regional. I had a bad UG GPA, 172 LSAT, went to UH and work in Houston. Bad GPA is tough to overcome.

You want to work in NY? Go to school in NY.