Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

No, it has my real name and SBN underneath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainScraps posted:

No, it has my real name and SBN underneath

And? Not like you can't crop that poo poo out. show us your pussy.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

He didn't did it. He's a fake!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol if real you have to post it. You can edit it. Don't be a bitch

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I've seen it. It's real and fantastic.

The Dagda
Nov 22, 2005

Higher ed guy, if you think there's some tangible benefit to a JD and it doesn't cost you anything, ok. But I would like to emphasize that law school is really intellectually unsatisfying, and I say that as a big old nerd. I like being a lawyer and I think there are probably things about law -- both as a matter of formal theory and as a system that operates in society -- that could be very interesting, but law school isn't about that. It is somehow neither sufficiently academic to be thought-provoking, nor practical enough to teach you skills.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

I've seen it. It's real and fantastic.

That one is a copy. The real one is pink.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I do remember putting in by hand like the entire SEC and ACC football team roster names in NCAA football, and getting up to like ten years of a dynasty

Hell same, until my PS3 broke.

edit: and

algebra testes posted:

During Swotvac one year (whatever you Yanks call the pre-exam study period) I managed to start and finish Mass Effect 2 and Contract law study in the space of like 48 hours.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Dagda posted:

Higher ed guy, if you think there's some tangible benefit to a JD and it doesn't cost you anything, ok. But I would like to emphasize that law school is really intellectually unsatisfying, and I say that as a big old nerd. I like being a lawyer and I think there are probably things about law -- both as a matter of formal theory and as a system that operates in society -- that could be very interesting, but law school isn't about that. It is somehow neither sufficiently academic to be thought-provoking, nor practical enough to teach you skills.

it's amazing how ineffective law school is at anything besides hoovering up money from the government

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Sab0921 posted:

Being a lawyer is terrible. Law School is terrible. Law Review is the most terrible part of Law School.

Maybe this dude will parlay his top 7% ranking and law review into a job at my firm where the glimmer and hope in his eye will quickly fade into cynicism, alcoholism and depression.

law school was loving great

like 3h a day of classes, maybe 1h of reading, a shitload of video game time, no tests until exam time

i don't know how anyone could dislike law school

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

evilweasel posted:

like 3h a day of classes, maybe 1h of reading, a shitload of video game time, no tests until exam time

It's easy you just take it too seriously and study every night. Also, I had about an hour of reading for each class every day. Often two hours for property.

Maybe I could read for every class in just an hour if I skimmed through and didn't take notes. Is that what you did?

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 26, 2017

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think law school is interesting and difficult.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Kingfish posted:

It's easy you just take it too seriously and study every night. Also, I had about an hour of reading for each class every day. Often two hours for property.

Maybe I could read for every class for just an hour if I skimmed through and didn't take notes. Is that what you did?

looks like we got a gunner here folks, time to stuff him into a locker

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Can't be that difficult if you ended up top 10%

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Hi, that's me, remember?

You took the bar at least. And do you think if you had passed and had a job opportunity, you'd have strongly considered dropping out at ABD? Like I remember being there for my wife when she was writing - it was exhausting for her. Far more exhausting than I've ever found trial prep.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

We went to very different kinds of law schools.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 13, 2021

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

We went to very different kinds of law schools.

^How I feel reading some of these posts. Maybe I could have skated by showing up for class and cramming for exams but I'm skeptical. I made mostly A's but I probably spent an hour reading for each class meeting and closer to 2 hours per class for corporate/p-ship tax and for secured transactions. I didn't take any of the gunner litigation "I wanna clerk for RBG!" classes like con law II, federal courts, or admin law but I bet I would have spent a couple hours preparing for each class if I did.

I found the transactional law classes pretty intellectually stimulating. I did not find anything 1L stimulating. Tax law and other reg heavy classes kind of reminded me of the table top role playing games I played in middle school and high school, I think that's the appeal for me.

Thanks for reading my idiosyncratic review of law school. I'm a strange guy and it remains to be seen how I will actually like being a lawyer.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Maybe evil weasel is just super smart and doesn't need to study hard to do well.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Can't be that difficult if you ended up top 10%

Unironically I think it makes law students uncomfortable to admit that very often the top of the class just gets it better and effort out of class has little to do with success.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

gvibes posted:

Maybe evil weasel is just super smart and doesn't need to study hard to do well.

I dunno I have read his posts and I'm having doubts

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Law school was terrible only because it was filled with law students who terrible at being human beings.

All the law school parties I went to were like college parties if everyone was replaced with that one pompous Type A guy who was always saying "hey ladies I'm so smart I'm going to be totally rich some day OH MY GOD WAS THAT A SIREN OUTSIDE I CAN'T GO TO JAIIIIL. MY RESUME!"

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Law school owned for me but only because I rarely attended class and never voluntarily socialized with law students.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, I was younger, thinner, stronger, faster back then, clearly graduating law school weakened and enervated me. Shoulda gone on the 10 year plan.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Once I realized I wasn't going to be in the top 10% (after 1st semester 1L grades came out), I stopped giving a gently caress and it was great.
Also, the minute I could I basically just took bullshit "liberal arts and the law" and crim law classes the moment I could. If the class had a paper or presentation instead of an exam, I was there. poo poo, I even got good grades then.
gently caress giant lectures with exams. My 3L year, I had no exams in the winter and one multiple choice exam in the fall. gently caress yeah.

I didn't play video games so much as did track days and got drunk (at different points in time). I also found the very small number of law students who were cool (for law school), and I'm still good friends with them today.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

evilweasel posted:

I went to a TTT and needed to be top 10% and law review to cop big law. No bueno.

E: You like big law too, so I think we are just personality incompatible.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 26, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i played a lot of poker and got drunk

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
This is not a single redeeming aspect of law school. It doesn't teach you how to "think like a lawyer" or practice law.

It's function was to limit the labor pool of practicing lawyers to increase demand and income for practitioners. It has failed at even this task.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I never took a single family law course. Not one. And now it's my entire practice.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nm posted:

If the class had a paper or presentation instead of an exam, I was there. poo poo, I even got good grades then.
gently caress giant lectures with exams. My 3L year, I had no exams in the winter and one multiple choice exam in the fall. gently caress yeah.

This. God bless my "Islamic Law" class where the final assignment was officially a critique of the book but it was blindingly obvious the professor disagreed with the author so your actual job was to rip it to shreds. Wrote it midnight to 9 a.m., pulled out a bomber of chimay and necked it walking around the halls to hand it in (was my last paper). Then went to our end of the year concert and drank more all day.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

JohnCompany posted:

This. God bless my "Islamic Law" class where the final assignment was officially a critique of the book but it was blindingly obvious the professor disagreed with the author so your actual job was to rip it to shreds. Wrote it midnight to 9 a.m., pulled out a bomber of chimay and necked it walking around the halls to hand it in (was my last paper). Then went to our end of the year concert and drank more all day.

Look at this private school kid

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

Maybe I could read for every class in just an hour if I skimmed through and didn't take notes. Is that what you did?

I read really quickly, and picked up pretty quickly that what is important for getting cold-called (who the people were, etc) is completely irrelevant for the exams. Also the professors had a cold-call rotation and would go through everyone once before repeating names, so I could go for long stretches being fairly sure I would not get cold-called. Even then, the professors tended to more want to wrestle with the issues which requires way less rote memorizing/notetaking of stupid poo poo like the plaintiff's third job and middle name - I usually had a short list of specific facts about the case like the plaintiff/defendant's name that I could reference but I wasn't interested in taking down the entire history of the case which was flagrantly useless for anything but showing you actually read it.

Then, come exam time, it was time to exhaustively outline everything but they were all open book and you would be amazed at how effective looking at the table of contents or the index is to find the answer to a question.

It might have been more like two hours a night, but still. Even four hours a night would be way less work than actually having a job.

Sab0921 posted:

I went to a TTT and needed to be top 10% and law review to cop big law. No bueno.

E: You like big law too, so I think we are just personality incompatible.

I seem to be congenitally immune to stress, so it works out :v:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I can't comment on the JD vs Phd thing, but I will reiterate what others here have mentioned: law school is not interesting. The classes are largely a slog of memorizing case holdings and interplay of statutes. Moments of intellectually stimulating discussion are the exception. I personally do find a certain perverse joy in statutory workings, but that was more of a silver lining for a grind I was already invested in. I would never seek out law school for the "fun" of the classes.

I'm not saying I hated law school classes, but often people on the outside envision constant exciting, heated discussions on legal philosophies or something. More often it's highlighting the holding in an overly dense textbook and hoping you won't be cold called to recite the names of the corporations involved.

I did have some of my best years in the gym, though. Parties are a thing, but I was one of those nerds stressing out and studying too much. Being at a middling school as you watch the economy collapse around you is certainly a motivator.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I didn't memorize poo poo in law school, except fed Tax and MAYBE Civ Pro.

Our school liked open note exams, so I just made really good outlines and copied the relevant sections word-for-word on my exam.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I flat out used other people's outlines and still did pretty well. You can avoid cold calls entirely by just answering a few times here and there when open ended questions get asked.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I'm just going to add: hollingmonkulus and I took our conversation to PMs. He has a much better grasp of what he's doing than I think came across in the thread. I wish him the best of luck and hope it works out. There's a definite risk; most of us took that risk too. It did work for some of us?

Still, don't go, sign your holographic will with a pink kitty, die alone,

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Did you guys not have to memorize the estates and future interest rules?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Do ya'll donate to judicial campaigns? Is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

The only professor I had 1L year who even asked questions about the facts of the case or the holding was straight out of University herself. The majority of cold calling was about the analysis the court used or if the outcome might have changed if the facts were different in some specific way.