Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm out! Sweet freedom! There is light at the end of the tunnel!

My last day is Saturday. Of course, the customers, in celebration of my leaving, have complained more than usual today, but I refuse to let it get to me.

Hold on hope, fellow call center goons. Eventually you too will escape.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Once more into the breach for me.

Looking to work my way into IT, I took a tech support call center position. On the plus side, it seems like a pretty good place to work, great benefits and casual attitude.

Speaking of casual, it pisses me off so much that most call centers don't allow casual dress when it doesn't matter in the least bit. We literally never see a customer, do khakis and ties really make people more productive than jeans and shirts? Is it just born out of some "this is how business is done" bullshit mentality?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well my new gig has a casual dress code and I couldn't be happier (Yay California!). It always infuriated me that we never dealt with an actual customer face-to-face yet were forced to wear business attire. Personally, I always enjoyed casual Fridays so much more, or even better were Saturdays when it was just like 3 people in the whole building so we could basically wear/do whatever as long as we still took calls.

Anyway, the new job is tech support, so I look forward to delivering many hilarious/enraging stories to the thread!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cuntvalet posted:

You guys actually get 100%s? I've never given anything higher than a 97%.

Because you've never heard a perfect call, or because you're forced to find something to mark the person down for so that they can "improve?"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Loving Life Partner posted:

This week is outstanding customer service week, we got a nice company branded hoodie, a smoothie/coffee bar one day, and a hot brunch yesterday (scrambled eggs, sausage, juices, fresh fruit). It's pretty nice :unsmith:

For us it's called Customer Care week. We got T-shirts, free cupcakes, a cooked brunch on Thursday and on Friday a huge grilling thing with steak and chicken. It was awesome.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Today was my first day on the phones all on my own. It's amazing how quickly I fall back into call center mode. On the plus side, most customers are friendly and chill and the calls go pretty long so it makes the day go faster.

At least all my supervisors are impressed with my phone manner. I guess my years of call center experience are good for something after all...more call center work.

:smithicide:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Our servers went down today. That means instead of the usual high of 10-15 calls in the queue, we hit 70. With nothing to tell them other than "Yes, we know, we're fixing it, I can't tell you when it will be fixed."

That was a fun Monday.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Caught an hour and a half long call 2 minutes before my lunch break. I was drat near ready to pass out by the end of it. Thank god I have the next week off for Thanksgiving.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

taremva posted:

Am I the only one here who does not dread my job?

I like mine because our call center doesn't focus on bullshit stats and the managers are all pretty chill. Plus we're allowed to wear basically whatever we want, which to me is a huge plus compared to other call centers I've worked at that require business attire. Also since I'm in tech support now instead of sales positions like my last jobs, people are usually more friendly because they need help with something, though you do get the occasional rear end in a top hat every now and then.

I am worried about burnout hitting me at some point down the road though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I am fully expecting Wednesday to be completely slow, so of course it will be randomly busy as all hell. Still, only a 3 day week, at least! This is the first time I've actually gotten paid time off at a job, which is a sad thing to be saying at this point in my life.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The flip side of the ID thief wet dream is the person who refuses to give out information :ohdear:over the phone.:ohdear:

You called US. We didn't call you. I answer, identifying our company name. We're a publicly traded company that makes literally hundreds of millions of dollars a year. We're not going to steal your credit card and sell the number on the black market. I don't get this paranoia at all.

poo poo, I can't even charge people's cards at all, only perform refunds. The only reason I ever have to ask for a credit card is if there was possible fraudulent activity on the account.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So a position as a Trainer opened up at my company and I applied for it. On the one hand, I'd get off the phones and make more money and it'd be a great job. On the other hand, I would be training new grunts to man the phones. It feels like some cycle-of-abuse metaphor.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I am down to the final two for the trainer position at my company. Pray for me, fellow call center goons. I might just have my ticket off the phones for good here.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I got the job! :yotj: Today was my last day on the phones for good. I actually left a note in my last incident saying "LAST CALL FOREVER, I AM A TRAINER NOW!"

I start on Monday, the old trainer gets to train me (Who trains the Trainers?) for 3 weeks, then we're doing a new hire class in April. So I get to hit the ground running, I'm super excited for this.

cuntvalet posted:

I just took my Quality Analyst test to get back to being a QA. I'm really nervous and the company/client has really shaken my faith in them since the whole fiasco, but fingers crossed for this call centre goon, as well.

Best of luck! Maybe we can be the start of a trend of call center goons going all YOTJ.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aerofallosov posted:

And a lot of call centers are toxic because of those arbitrary, nonsensical rules (They brought us pizza because it was busy but we couldn't eat at our desks, nor could we go on do not disturb to go GET and eat the pizza. SO we got to sit for four hours smelling pizza. Thanks, guys).

I've read this whole thread and this might be the cruelest thing I've seen so far. That's just hosed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

At my call center, you don't get a heads up on the termination meeting, you just get tapped to go see your DRG supe with your supe supe and they tell you its game over, then you go to HR for an exit interview.

I think they give you a chance to resign as well, for some reason?

This totally seems like a super-scummy way to deny unemployment. Cuntvalet, my sympathies, but at least you're in Canada and don't have to worry about your unemployment being denied.

If you do get fired, don't take it personally (hard as that is), take a week to chill and enjoy not working in that hellhole, then begin the job hunt.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ZeroDays posted:

Never say this in the presence of anyone in a call centre. People kill to get any time off the phones, and that includes even the most boring, redundant training courses.

As someone who was promoted to running these training classes, I give great thanks for this. People who I take off the phones to train are in the best moods because for the time I have them, they aren't taking calls.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

So do you not find it annoying when they ask you a bunch of questions plainly intended to just draw things out?

Not really, because it's a break from me standing up there and talking my head off for hours at a time. I try to make training as fun/engaging/interactive as I can because otherwise it would be boring/exhausting for me and for the trainees.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

For goons who do outbound calls, I have a question.

Is it ruder or more annoying for you if I just hang up instead of stay on the line and say no until you give up? I'm specifically talking about sales calls. Time Warner calls me every month or so to offer TV, which I don't want. So I tell them "Love your Internet service, but don't want TV!" but then they have to go through their 3/4 pitches even after I've rejected them.

Is it easier if I just hang up as soon as I realize I don't want anything? I figure it's not fun for the phone rep to constantly offer their scripted rebuttals, but I wonder if just hanging up hurts their stats or their feelings.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

You make 55k for taking calls? Wow, you've got it good!

poo poo, I got promoted off of the call center floor and I don't even make that much, and I live in LA!

If I was making 55k when I was taking calls, I wouldn't have minded staying there for a while either. You are spot on about the nice part being "Clocked out, going home!" and not having to think about work when not at work.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

For me, it was taking a mental attitude of "That call is over with, I never have to talk to that person again" after the bad calls and trying not to focus on those. I tried to focus on the "good" calls where customers were friendly and grateful for my help. As soon as I left the building for the day, I threw on my earbuds and blasted some jams that would pick me up and get me dancing/singing. I would never talk about work outside of work, except maybe to tell friends dumb customer stories for a laugh.

Mornings were sometimes difficult, and there were plenty of "Maybe I should just call out today..." moments, but my company's perfect attendance bonus (an extra paid day off per month) was too good to pass up.

E: VVV I didn't make 55k, that was Breetai. I made $16/hour, which was livable, but not amazing.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 6, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Y'all need to learn how to compartmentalize your thoughts. Despite years of call center work, I've never answered the phone by using my work intro or had nightmare thoughts about callers. Granted, maybe I'm the lucky exception and should check my privilege.

Alternatively, most call centers don't drug test, so 420 smoke :420: everyday. That should help with the voices, or at least make them more fun to talk to.

E: VVV Sorry if I came across as lovely to people who might have actual mental problems from call center work. If that's the case, please seek therapy.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 6, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

martyrdumb posted:

Screams or a single curse word on their own get a first warning from me. If he didn't calm down, it would be an instant hang-up. I've never worked anywhere that didn't let you hang up on abusive callers, as long as you warn them first.

My call center has a policy that hanging up on a customer for any reason, even verbal abuse, is grounds for termination. :smith:

However, they are cool with you taking off your headset, standing up and getting a supervisor to take over the call if someone is really getting to you. :gbsmith:

This is the only kinda-lovely policy we have, we're pretty great about everything else.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I did phone surveys for my first ever real job when I was 16, they are totally anal about being precisely verbatim, because they are terrified that the person reading the question could affect the respondent's answer in any way.

You worked there for 2/3 weeks total? Don't stress about it, this will be viewed as a minor blip in your life and 3 years from now this whole thing will be a "Oh, hey, I did phone surveys once." story you tell.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

New fascinating hatred:
People who can't wrap their heads around their billing, but especially people who freak if they have 2 payments "in the same month", even if one was delayed to like, the 2nd and their normal due date comes due again on the last day of the month.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TWICE IN THE SAME MONTH!? :argh:

Some of us have our budgets set up in a way that we like paying the same amount every month and not paying double one month then nothing the next month. I know it all shakes out the same in the end, but it can make your budget for that one month pretty tight, particularly if it's a large bill.

E: VVV Oh, I misunderstood. Yea, then it's the typical customer idiocy.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 1, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

Our trainer is a HUGE Star Trek fan. You get her going and she'll go for awhile before going "oh, I should be training you".

loving :laffo: this is me but with Star Wars. My last training group was starting to catch onto it.

Also, any sort of football-chat (particularly if it's about the Bucs) always makes me go off topic for at least 5 minutes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Point of reference, its not a regular thing, but people will start crying or freak out from the stress. Its hard to pick out what stress because it IS a call center but I don't think that is normal...It really disturbs you to see it and no one knows what to do about it.

I had this happen one day before work at a previous call center I used to work at where I sold magazines. Constant short calls with nothing but upselling and hard pressure tactics. I just broke down crying in the car, waited till I was done, walked in and said that I felt sick so they would let me go home.

Bad call centers are soul-crushingly awful. Good ones are tolerable at best.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

cold-calling

Here's your problem. Find an inbound call center, and preferable one that's more customer service focused and not focused on selling or upselling. You will be a million times happier.

Cold calling is the god drat devil. At one point at a previous job they asked me if I wanted to switch from my inbound role to an outbound cold calling role, and even though it would have been more money I declined because gently caress that poo poo.

E: VVV The power balance shifts significantly when the customer is dependent on you and not the other way around.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

My wife's call center just told her she can't go to her doctors appointment because there is a client walkthrough.

What the gently caress? Like the client is going to go "WHAT IS THIS?" at the site of an unoccupied workstation?

"Do you not chain your workers to their desks so they can't leave? *harumph* I believe we'll be taking our business to a more dedicated operation!"