Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I haven't seen Casablanca, Gone With the Wind, Das Boot or The Third Man. They're all films that I've considered for years to be important and essential, constantly telling myself that I'll get around to watching them, but never actually bothering. I'm not sure why either; besides laziness.

Also, it occured to me recently that I have never seen Cinema Paradiso, he film from which this forum derides its name. I feel like I should be obligated to do so.

FFD, your list is loaded with shite. As a punishment, you must watch Transformers.

Edit: Twin Cinema, you beat me to the punch so I'm going to suggest to you the obvious choice of Citizen Kane. FFD, you dodged a bullet.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Hellbunny posted:

hmmm... dear me.

I haven't seen any of these, what do I do now?

Tell him to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

4. Sleuth - Certain goons keep raving about it.

Yeah, well what do they know?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

I finally got around to watching Casablanca, which was assigned to me all the way back on page 1. Peaceful Anarchy, I'm catching you up! Also, you watch Greed because it sounds like you're really thrilled about it.

Casablanca is such a dense and richly populated film that it's a treat to just spend some time in Rick's cafe. I could see myself watching the film repeatedly just to experience that again. So much stuff happens in that drat place. There are so many characters coming and going and the omnipresent Captain Renault (Claude Rains) who is always where he is least wanted at any given time. It sags somewhat in the second act, but soon gets back on its feet and into its breakneck pace until the thrilling conclusion. I wish I'd watched this a lot sooner.

I've decided my list wasn't really suitably formatted so I'm going to do this properly.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind I've heard this is some kind of work of perfection, so I'm not sure why I never bothered with it.

The Third Man Another one that is universally raved about that I just never bothered with for some reason.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Something about this film and its cultural impact has put me off watching it for years. Likewise for my next entry.

Friday the 13th I mean, these are kind of considered "classic" horror films, aren't they?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Arkane posted:

Falling asleep during The Great Escape is downright unpatriotic :911:

This is true if you're British too.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

What about people who aren't British, American or Australian?

Who cares about those guys?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

The Third Man is an excellently paced thriller with plenty of humour and a doomed romance thrown in for good measure. The viewer is kept guessing with new questions arising constantly. When one mystery is solved, another is raised and when there are no more mysteries left, we end with a gripping sewer chase. The film makes brilliant use of shadows too, effectively extending the frame with looming sillhouettes. I'd like to see that kind of technique used more often.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind I've heard this is some kind of work of perfection, so I'm not sure why I never bothered with it.

The Third Man

The Seven Samurai I have no excuse for this as someone who has enjoyed other Kurosawas and other samurai films.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Something about this film and its cultural impact has put me off watching it for years. Likewise for my next entry.

Friday the 13th I mean, these are kind of considered "classic" horror films, aren't they?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

thegloaming posted:

Clumsy, you have forsaken me!

I was stepped over!

I'm sorry. That was remiss of me. You get to watch 12 Angry Men. You can thank me later.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I think I am literally the only person who likes the plantation scene in AN Redux.

I literally like it too, so you are literally wrong. Literally.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Gone With The Wind for being incredibly long is a damned powerful film about a woman's growth from a young girl, driven by unrequited love, into a skilled manipulator and uccessful business woman. It gets alarmingly grim at times, but as a character study it's not only wonderfully compelling, but it also speaks of a time when Hollywood could present a strong woman without making her some kind of super assassin.

Atheistdeals.com, you should watch Citizen Kane.

Casablanca

Gone With the Wind

Any Werner Herzog apart from Bad Lieutenant.

The Third Man

The Seven Samurai I have no excuse for this as someone who has enjoyed other Kurosawas and other samurai films.

Professor Clumsy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 4, 2010

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Brian, you have an interesting list there, but I'm going to pick Bullitt for you so you can witness the greatest parrallel park ever captured on film.

A Nightmare on Elm Street was a mixed bag. It ranges from a visually inventive exploration of the fears we hold in our youth, particular an irrational distrust of our parents, to poorly performed and exploitative shlock. The be honest, it didn't sit well with me and I really hated the ending too.

Casablanca

Gone With the Wind

The Third Man

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Rio Bravo I've never really been a fan of Joh Wayne, but I've always wanted to see this one.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Mistletoe Donkey, please enjoy Alien.

I don't think I was quite prepared for the silliness of Friday the 13th. A group of young idiots go to work at a camp in order to have it open in time for Summer, only to be murdered by somebody for some reason. The fact that the identity and motive of the killer is kept a secret for so long is probably the weakest element. It's hard to care about the characters when they aren't really intended to be likeable for the most part and it's hard to be interested in the situation when all anybody ever does is moan about the faulty generator, even when everyone is dropping like flies.

When we are finally treated to the killer reveal, it's just Psycho in reverse, which isn't actually as bad as it sounds and it is resolved with a decapitation, which always goes down well. I also enjoyed the little music motif ch-ch-ch ah-ah-ah. I'm gonna start doing that to scare people.

Casablanca

Gone With the Wind

The Third Man

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Rio Bravo I've never really been a fan of Joh Wayne, but I've always wanted to see this one.

Friday the 13th

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

ProfessorClumsy, I'm gonna go a little outside the box and give you Woyzeck, a really wonky Werner Herzog movie I saw not long ago that, frankly, I just want a second opinion on. I feel like it's the most under appreciated of the Herzog/Kinski collaborations. If, however, you want something that's a bit more of a critically well-regarded consensus for "intro to Herzog," I'll give you the option of Aguirre, The Wrath of God instead.

For the sake of completion, I will watch both.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I don't know about you guys, but Solaris has been better than some sex I've had.

You're doing it wrong.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Maybe you're watching Solaris wrong.

I haven't seen it at all, but... come on.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Solaris is better than the time I lost my virginity. It's probably better than the time you lost your virginity too.

Well this I have to see.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Rangi, I'm guessing you either forgot that you already got started in this thread or you really really didn't want to watch Annie Hall.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

To be fair, Dirty Dancing is pretty good.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

You have to write something about the drat film, not just say that you've seen it. I will start probating people who ignore this.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Monicro posted:

Whoops, sorry about that. I'll watch that from now on. :shobon:

Start now. I want to know what you thought about King Kong.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

penismightier posted:

That's such an odd response. Most people are really thrown off by the tonal difference between the two. MASH the movie is fuckin MEAN.

It is, but it's also zany as gently caress. Compared to the TV show it goes to much greater extremes in both areas.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

On a related note, I hate that you can't get the original cut of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly on Blu-Ray

http://www.amazon.it/Buono-Brutto-Cattivo-Aldo-Giuffre/dp/B003IVI0GE/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305659901&sr=1-2-fkmr0

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

eggsovereasy posted:

I've never seen any of the Godfather movies.

You may want to read the OP.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

dreadnought posted:

1. Any Robert Altman film: Better start out with the most shameful. I'm from Kansas City and still haven't seen a single one of his films. Figured I'd start with either Nashville or Gosford Park, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Somebody make this guy watch Popeye.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

People talking Altman in here and not mentioning Popeye. It makes me sad.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

a short old movie??? hallelujah

You don't actually like films, do you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

12 Angry Men - Was ok.

You don't really like films, do you?