Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
My drummer just bought one of these:

We're probably going to try out a bunch of pedals in front of it for high-gain sounds but that power section really does a lot for down-tuned stuff. Fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Schlieren posted:

If it turns out the speakers are old and need to be replaced in my amp, what should I get?

It's a MusicMan 212 HD 130. I play bass out of it as well as guitar; guitar for practice, gigs and recording, and the bass for recording purposes only (and it sounds fantastic in this regard by the way).

Some sort of Webers would be nice, but I'm thinking that's a little bit pricey for an amp worth about $500 or so, especially considering I just threw $300 into it for tubes, biasing, and a crapload of other work, and it's still a bit too noisy to justify a lot more.

Something from here or some place with similar pricing would be nice, but I don't know anything about something this specific...

If your guitar speakers are shot maybe you should take that as a sign that you shouldn't play bass through them.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Schlieren posted:

Sounds way too good out of this amp not to do it so I think instead I'll try to find something that can handle both reasonably well but thanks for this incredibly obvious suggestion!

No need to get snarky, if it's so obvious you would be shopping for bass speakers or bass cabs already.

For the record the Orange AD140 I posted earlier sounds nice with bass when run through an Ashdown bass cabinet. Lots of guitar amps with a clear and powerful low end will sound good with bass, the only real disadvantage is that bass cabinets and bass speakers are often designed for lower impedances - not many guitar amps have 4 ohm taps.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Schlieren posted:

Except it's entirely possible that part of what sounds so good are the guitar speakers as well as the amp itself...

you were asking about replacing the speakers...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Schlieren posted:

I get a fantastic results (according to my tastes), considering the equipment I use. It's entirely possible I'll shred guitar amp speakers, but it's also entirely possible that at the SPLs I'm generating, there is an option out there that will still work for my guitar amp, and be robust enough not to deteriorate terribly rapidly, and still sound fantastic for guitars. These particular (stock, original, 35 year-old) speakers have had bass ploughing through them for three years and only recently has there been any buzzing anywhere in the amp. I'm not even sure it's not something else just rattling around, I still have to take it to my tech.

If it works, it works, I guess. I would at least try a couple of bass cabs - you'd find out if it's the amp or the guitar speakers that you like. You might even prefer a different set of speakers

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Sirius Sam posted:

Hailz. Just finishing up a powerviolence band, I had the 140W Orange I posted earlier and a 70s HH 4x12. I need something to use for new bands now, what does that Fender sound like? I like loud and bassy and I could chain a couple of distortion pedals up front if it doesn't get filthy enough. I'm sure I could ebay one of those.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

Doesn't look too bad for a cheapo bedroom bass practice amp. For $35 it's difficult to go wrong as you could probably flip it for $50 if you don't like it

I've found it can be really hard to shift cheap amps.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A Sunn 300W PA just turned up locally, does anyone know how these sound as guitar amps?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

answersyouseek posted:

Despite the fact that V-4B's totally rule. V-4's aren't great live amps for guitar because they aren't that loud. Sovtek Mig 150H's though are great. They are essentially the discount version of a JCM 800 but they are built way more robustly because they use Russian military grade parts.

V4s are ridiculously loud. And Sovtek never made a Mig 150H...?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Zakalwe posted:

The difference is you actually play your guitar, play it live and don't spend all your time obsessing over $50,000 Dumbles and PTP wired limited edition tubescreamers rather than rocking out

The really telling factor is the copy you'll see when those guys are selling gear. Lots and lots of "taken out of the box once", "couple of hours use on the tubes" etc etc

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

After The War posted:

This is something that really doesn't get brought up enough. It's really a different type of sound, and certainly not an inferior one. The "clean tube amp with distortion pedals" sound was a hallmark of 80s and 90s postpunk, grunge, alternative, etc... partly because old Fender silverfaces and Big Muffs were cheap at the time, but also because it was such a different tone than the big Marshall stacks the cock rockers were touting. It was definitely the sound of my 90s adolescence, so it's the kind of rig I use today - I'm the only one showing up to punk shows with a Twin and pile o'distortion pedals, but people keep coming up after the show to say how much they loved my tone. To each their own.

This really is a great point. There are a lot of channel-switching high-gain tube heads on the market because they're easier to sell at a high price! Distortion and fuzz can sound incredible with a decent loud, clean amp.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

After The War posted:

Well, they certainly have their use - nearly every form of metal requires tight preamp distortion, for instance. And, if anything, most of the guitar press seems to consider channel-switching to be inferior to those low power ultra-simple amps we were talking about earlier... never mind that they have to be driven louder than people can handle at home to get "that sound" (which isn't always stylistically appropriate), or that they're too small for situations a lot of us play in. Sorry Bad Cat, but I'm just not your demographic

They can have their uses, sure, it's just the inflated sense of value that I find strange. As you said, the guitar press loves them and every young guitar player raves about new all-singing models and post tons of Mesa shots in GAS threads. It's just odd that people praise them for certain genres, like metal, but conveniently ignore the thousands of metal albums done with pedals in front of amps. It seems like the sort of "common knowledge" that doesn't get questioned.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

RetardedRobots posted:

How do you get 11 tubes? 4 power tubes, 3 preamp for each of the two channels and 1 rectifier?

I have an amp with 5 preamp tubes and 6 power tubes.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
The Valveking does not sound like a 5150.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There's a Mace at my practice place that I believe is the more powerful version of the Deuce. On guitar it sounds like Skynyrd, also sounds pretty good as a bass amp.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Declan MacManus posted:

Also when you replace your tubes, make sure you're wearing gloves, and if you can't wear gloves, wipe down the tube after you've put it in. The oils on your fingers collect on the glass and create hotspots that wear out the tubes faster.

Yeah this isn't true.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That does seem a little pricey. You could even get a new 6505 if you just want a hair metal amp in that price range.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
A slave out doesn't bypass the high-power output. With every amp I've used it on it just lets you use two amps at once but with the preamp sound from one amp coming through your slave amp as well.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Smash it Smash hit posted:

That is what I meant, say if Amp A is all tubes and you do the slave out (preamp out/ext amp out) then you will only be getting the preamp tone of AMP A into AMP B. However the power output of AMP A, the power tubes, will not effect AMP B therefore if AMP B doesnt have power tubes, you will not get that natural break up.

Once again, this is all theory from me, and I could be completely wrong. I would actually like to know for certain because I have been debating buying a slave for my v4.

Yep, that's usually how it works. A tube power amp doesn't always sound "better" though, if you play bass or down-tuned guitar a high-powered SS slave amp can do a really nice job of reinforcing the low end.

Why use a slave amp with a V4? Is it not loud enough(!) or do you want to run more cabs(again,!!!)?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Hypnolobster posted:

It's fine.

I have this at home

120 glorious 1980's watts into a 2x15 and 2x12 :v:

Ha, I just saw this go up on Facebook like 20 minutes ago.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

comes along bort posted:

On the other hand nothing sounds like an Ampeg VH-140 (not even the various Crate versions). It's one of those things like the HM-2 that nobody's been able to fully replicate.

There are like 3 HM2 clones now

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Try a mini hacksaw, like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Smash it Smash hit posted:

If you can find a Peavey butcher, they are dirt cheap and emulate it pretty well. They are called the Mississippi Marshall iirc

The 80s Butcher, not the recent Peavey Butcher.