Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Murderers vs. Murderees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I believe "football move" used to actually be in the rule book until recently, now it's "an act common to the game" but it's the same sentiment.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I would love to coach some teenagers or something sometime, I have a ton of knowledge that's totally wasted on explaining why Mark Sanchez sucks to my roommate. Unfortunately Canada has a dearth of teams where you can volunteer

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

~*MY GIRLFRIEND*~

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Now there's a haircut you could set your watch to.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I just found a cool thing on Youtube, I didn't know these existed. Brian Billick (former coach of the Ravens) did little whiteboard demos for Fox Sports last year, and they're really cool for people who want to know a bit more of the advanced level stuff. It's a series called Billick 101.

Here's a cool one on the Wide 9, if you're wondering why Juan Castillo just got fired (or why Detroit is essentially the only team that can run this alignment):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNzGcVRbZws

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Yeah, I don't know where he's at now. Some of the ones he does with other coaches are a bit hard to follow, but all the ones that are just him on his own are great.

I wish someone would do a weekly 22-minute version of this, Playbook used to be super wonky but it's not anymore.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Kaepernick sucks pretty hard at line adjustments still, and the hard count is difficult to do because sometimes it fucks up your own guys as much as the other team.

But yeah, take a look at how many timeouts the 49ers take within 5 seconds of the snap because Kaep can't call a new play. I think it's just part of the confidence he'll get. They've also added a new rule this year that the QB can be called for a false start if he fakes certain movements as part of the hard count, they got Gabbert for it earlier in the season

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

For flinching his hands towards the center while in shotgun formation. It was shameful on all counts

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I can't wait for the inevitable documentary on the strike

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Reformed Pessimist posted:

I didn't see this talked about in the last few pages and I figure it's kind of old news but it came up with a buddy of mine so I figured I'd ask. Is there any reason to believe that Ray Lewis should have been found guilty of murder back when that whole situation happened?

My buddy who hates the Ravens, and the Harbaughs was bringing this up the other day, saying that Lewis basically walked because he's such a big sports figure and that any one else would be doing time. He firmly believes Lewis committed murder and got away with it.

Meanwhile my friend who's a Ravens fan, says Lewis was falsely accused and rightfully acquitted. Personally, everything I've seen of Lewis he seems like a decent guy. So, what's the deal here? Obviously both of my friends are biased here and I was looking for an outside look at Ray Lewis and that whole situation.

Your buddy is a loving moron. Lewis was charged with murder because he was a sports star, not in spite of it. This was soon after OJ and some other athlete excesses, public opinion was against him from the start. The DA wanted to make a high-profile case to boost his career, at least that's the thought because there was zero evidence to convict Ray of anything other than having lovely friends and burning his suit.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

It was incidental and Bill Leavy may in fact be retarded, yes

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

4th quarter, ~30 seconds left on the game clock, opponent just scored and is ahead, but within a single score.

Why do so many guys run the kick out, and don't settle for the touch back, especially if they are not named Hester?
Surely 3-4 seconds is more valuable in this situation than the small chance you pick up a couple of yards?

If they catch it and run it out without a designed play/4.2 speed it summons the spirit of Mike Westhoff who puts a surgically repaired boot up their rear end.

This doesn't happen, and if it does the ST coach will lose his poo poo.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

Along those lines, I was wondering about the shoes the players wear. It seems like Nike or whoever holds the contract makes several different styles of shoes, and them decorates them in specific team colors for the NFL players to wear. Do they just make a few hundred pairs of shoes for each team and call it a day, or do they mass market the exact same shoes that the NFL players are wearing?

I know some players like to wear their own shoes, I think they can even go outside the sponsor - kickers can, at least.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Makarov_ posted:

Here's another image with the gaps and techniques illustrated:

If you recall hearing about the "Wide 9" which the Eagles ran for a couple years, it involves the 4-3 DEs lining up outside the TE or T, whichever is the most outside in-line front blocker.

The numbers are used by the defence, letters by the offence.

Also the wide 9 is a source of controversy, as alluded to earlier, because it opens up huge running lanes if you don't have a very good LB corps. The teams that use it in recent years (Eagles, Lions) have pretty lovely linebackers. So maybe it works with the right guys, but I dunno. Good for penetration if you have a reasonable D-line, and the Lions front 4 are beastly (save for RDE or whatever Vanden Bosch played)

I think that Billick video goes into it. He's great with explanations, I wish he would do like a 30- or 60-minute version of Playbook every week on NFL Network. I think he works for Fox now or something. Even just him and a whiteboard with no production values is super interesting

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I have a referral link bt it doesn't make it any cheaper http://gamepass.nfl.com/nflgp/raf/UUMCHTKRDW8R

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

More criminals than Australia? Let's not be absurd

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Cloud the Cat posted:

If it helps I follow Port Adelaide in the AFL (Australian Football league) for any other aussies out there. I was thinking Buffalo Bills because they have a kick rear end name, not a clue as to their performance or standing though!

Looooooool at this post. You would be a Bills fan for about three weeks.

Bengals are a good choice, as are the Seahawks. They're on the West Coast of NA - what's the time difference like? Do they play games live, or on tape delay?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Rap posted:

If you don't have the fact they ask for, just post the fact you know!

this made me laugh v hard

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I don't even think the CLT exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

football fuckerman posted:

Actually you'll find that the worse teams in the league appear in 16 games but only play in 5 or 6 of them

I believe this is the motto of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

• Locked thread