Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like the Rock Hall and the Football HOF, but I was also 15 when I last went to them despite going to college in between Canton and Cleveland. $23 doesn't sound too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You can get a package with Red Zone but as far as entire games, I believe Gamepass is your only legal option.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Watch and find out?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sunday Night games are at 8:30 EST.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

swickles posted:

I don't know why on long field goal attempts teams don't just stick the tallest guy or whoever has the highest vertical reach to try and block it. I mean, I know you have a return guy, but there are some circumstances where you want to commit to the block, like if its a FG to tie the game as time expires. Then a return is worthless, just stick your project 6'8" WR back there to try to block it.

Is this post from before the Iron Bowl?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I am looking to move to Chicago, specifically Humboldt Park for the first couple of months. I know there are a ton of Michigan State alums in the area, so does anyone know a good bar to go to for their games?

Are there also any places dedicated to showing Lions games for all of the Michigan transplants? I know the NFL has its coverage rules, but I would guess there are places with Sunday Ticket or something to give them access.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coco13 posted:

Here's Eater's guide to the best Chicago bars to watch your team's game at. Looks like your weekends are at Grand River.

Looks like a decent distance from where I'll initially staying, but that's just through November. I'll keep that in mind, at least for Lions games.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol good luck, Chicago's a Northwestern town

Gameday in Evanston was cute.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Ain'ts" was a pretty common nickname for the Saints for most of their existence, so it's easy to make the assumption that it's intentional.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

For the last 3 years or so, Phil Sims in Madden football has been telling me that when an offense stays on the field for a long time, the defense gets tired and they make mistakes. Doesn't it stand to reason that the offense would also be getting tired and more prone to making mistakes?

edit: I mean in real life. I wasn't asking a question about Madden football.

It's much more tiring to chase somebody than to run away from them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

This is really dumb and not football related, but what does the abbreviations in

"N _____:

V:_____ "

mean? Like people constantly post.

Have you not noticed that people post it in threads with "Week [blank] N/V"?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No, I understood what he was asking. I was curious if he noticed the thread titles because his wording was "like people constantly post" and didn't mention the threads themselves, implying that people post them outside of N/V threads.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Double post, but I have a question: What's the point of eligibility rules for college teams in transition between divisions? Georgia Southern is 7-2 playing a full FBS schedule, but they can't count as a Sun Belt champion or even make a bowl game unless there aren't enough eligible teams. That seems really dumb.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FreakyMetalKid posted:

If it can't be quantified, it may still exist, that's fair. However, if there's not a correlation between long drives and points or long drives and wins, then it's probably not a factor worth yapping about so frequently.

I don't have the time or desire to attempt to do a lot of math myself on it, but some facts about the Pac 12:

Colorado is 8th in the nation in time of possession at 33:30 per game. They've been holding down the bottom of the Pac 12 South.

Washington State is 30th in time of possession and bottom of the Pac 12 North.

ASU is on top of the Pac 12 South and ranked 9th in the country. Their TOP is 92nd at 28:42 per game. Their opponents have the ball longer!

Oregon is on top of the Pac 12 North and ranked 4th. Their TOP is 122nd at 25:55.

You can probably pick out some cases that lean the other way, but at least out West, keeping the other team's defense on the field is not the way to win.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

TOP is determined more by play style (and a good defense) than quality of offense. The service academies always have the ball a ridiculous amount because they run on every single play and they try to shorten the game against their athletically superior opponents.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This got buried so I'll ask again:

Henchman of Santa posted:

What's the point of eligibility rules for college teams in transition between divisions? Georgia Southern is 7-2 playing a full FBS schedule, but they can't count as a Sun Belt champion or even make a bowl game unless there aren't enough eligible teams. That seems really dumb.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rotten Cookies posted:

Is the AFC east a big running division? Does any division have a lot of hurry-up offense or anything? I guess, if you had to give each division a one or two word description, what would it be? Can they be generalized like that?
Not really. There's too much coaching and player turnover from year to year to really do that, and it's a copycat league in general. You can stretch and say the AFC North is usually a smash mouth, hard running and defense division because the Steelers and Ravens are traditionally like that, but even that's pushing it. In the 60s when there were two leagues, the AFL was considered more wide open offensively, but that was a very different time.

You could probably generalize about the quality of a division or conference over the span of a few years, but not style.

Double edit: If you're really into conference or regional identity expressed through play style, get into college ball. Which you should do anyway because it rules harder than anything on earth.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2014

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crayfish posted:

Would an NFL team based in Omaha be a terrible idea? Imagine they moved the Bills there and made them swap divisions with Detroit or something I dunno.

Please explain to me why this is stupid, thanks lads.

Because Omaha is a non-existent media market and presumably everybody in Nebraska is far more interested in the Huskers than any pro team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
What are the advantages and disadvantages of coordinators being up in the booth versus on the sideline? I imagine being able to see everything from above helps, but different coordinators seem to have different preferences. Norv Turner appears to be upstairs, while Joe Lombardi is on the sideline, for example. Pat Narduzzi stays in the booth for three quarters and then comes down for the fourth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SkunkDuster posted:

Are all of the athletic facilities and administrative offices generally located within the stadiums, or do they do some of that stuff in nondescript office buildings?

The Lions play in downtown Detroit but their practice field and I presume headquarters are down river in Allen Park.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

A question about fake punts/FG attempts. If the punter or holder runs or passes the ball instead, or the ball is snapped to someone closer to the line of scrimmage, is he considered to be the quarterback for that play?

Can you rephrase this? Like are you asking if it would be roughing the passer should he be hit in the head or after a throw? Because "considered the quarterback for that play" doesn't really mean anything.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes. The running back direct snap is a common trick play in college. Anyone behind the center can receive the snap.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rick posted:

Explain the "reporting as ineligible" thing in the Patriot/Raven game to me, and why it was so effective, please.

Because Shane Vereen does not have an offensive lineman's number, he is normally considered an eligible receiver and free to move downfield. But by declaring to the official that he was ineligible and lining up on the line of scrimmage, he was effectively acting as another lineman. It worked so well because 1) nobody ever does that, so the Ravens were accounting for more receivers then there were and 2) the referee only has to announce when someone with a number between 50-79 is eligible, not when someone else is ineligible (which is why it's an illegal formation when a receiver is "covered" by somebody parallel to him and he still goes downfield).

I think. Somebody else can probably explain it better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Whether or not they go probably depends on the owner (I think Jerry Jones goes to every Cowboys game), but yeah I'm pretty sure they have reserved boxes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

turbomoose posted:

Relating to the eligible/ineligible stuff, like on a short and goal situation, do teams name random linemen eligible, even if they just run it? It just seems like you would have to do that otherwise the times you actually send a lineman as a receiver would be really obvious.

You have to declare that somebody with a number between 50-79 is eligible in order to have six linemen on the field, regardless of what play you are going to run. Usually teams send in a third tackle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

With professionals, I have no problem running up the score. They're paid to be out there. There's enough parity among the teams that they should be able to mount some sort of defense regardless of the situation.

I draw the line with amateurs. There are often huge disparities in talent, and many players are still learning the game. College, High School, and youth ball are the Not Cool zone for running up the score for me.

You should always run up the score in rivalry games. Or to make sure a team knows their place like Jim Tressel did to Northwestern.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Are you the sort of dude that would dunk on a ten year old, then shove him and yell "suck it, bitch" because that's basically what running up the score on Idaho is
Are you not?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

the very same Jim Tressel who is the only Ohio State coach to lose to Northwestern in about 40 years. Thanks for playing Justin Zwick, champ.

I know, that's why he had to mercilessly crush them in every ensuing game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

axeil posted:

Michael Jordan being the most famous example. He once was up against Muggsy Bogues (who is very short), stepped back and said "shoot it you midget."

Micheal Jordan did a ton of trash talk the reporters in the 90s didn't cover.

*shoot it you loving midget

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

El Seano posted:

Nah I'm from the UK, I did however see that video on youtube years back where somebody literally runs out an entire quarter on one run play running back and forth down the field like 8 times, it's hilarious.

One thing I'll say, having been an NBA fan for about 10 years now is that the lore and stories of the NFL are a million times more entertaining. In so much as this sport just has some crazy motherfuckers in it. It's a shame I can't really seem to find many more good documentaries than what 30 for 30 did. I caught an interesting one on Tom Brady and the quarterbacks taken before him, loved that. Also saw a decent one on Brett Favre. I'd love to watch more if you guys can recommend any.

In terms of Bo just showing up and playing they mention that in the doc that he would have a play down after two or so attempts and that led me to thinking that I can understand a pass play being hard to learn what with four or five runs to memorize and the timings involved, but how hard are run plays to learn really? Isn't it just a case of knowing where your blocker is running and which angle you're running at? I always had the impression that the hardest part of a run play was reacting to the defense once the ball has been snapped and seeing where you have some daylight to run.

"The U" is the football doc to end all football docs.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with current football but there was also a brief, beautiful period in the 90s where fullbacks were catching passes constantly and I miss it. Seriously like 90+ receptions/year for fullbacks. Or a fullback (Larry Centers) at least, maybe two.
Cory Schlesinger wheel routes were one of the only highlights of the early Matt Millen years.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He's not from here

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fans turn on guys for it all the time, usually saying they're putting themselves ahead of THE TEAM and WINNING. Then they forget about it because it turns out that paying your best players is often important to having a winning team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm gonna go with "they forgot"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ross Angeles posted:

When did they retire 85?

If they retired it after Ebon had it, they won't make him change his number. Kinda like Mariano Rivera and #42

They just got Ebron last year. I believe it's been retired for quite a while.

Then again they didn't retire 20 until the late 2000s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WobblySausage posted:

Anyone have some good recommendations for football books? I'm open to anything really. I'd like to read about football strategy, fictional stories, autobiographies, team biographies, etc.

If you haven't read Friday Night Lights then your life is unfulfilled

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

I mean if he checks in as eligible and then lines up ineligible, is that a penalty, or is he just ineligible?

I think he would just be ineligible, which of course is a penalty if he then goes downfield. Maybe illegal formation?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Probably dumb question, especially considering I've been watching football since I was in kindergarten:
Why isn't spiking considered intentional grounding?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Thought it might be something like that. You already use a play to do it so I guess it's not worth punishing for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I have a question, and it's to do with who gets to see what games on TV, so allow me to frame it: I am a Detroit Lions fan living in Detroit and the Lions game is at 1pm ET, at home and sold out. What games would I be able to watch over free to air TV? I guess the Lions game would be on Fox at 1pm, but would there be a competing game on CBS at 1pm that I could watch? If there's a Fox doubleheader does that mean I'd get the Lions game at 1, another Fox game at 4:25 but also a CBS game at 4:05? I'm genuinely confused, due to the fact that over here we don't have regional games or anything like that

You you would probably get a Fox doubleheader and the late CBS game, assuming the Lions are hosting an NFC team

• Locked thread