Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If a punt stays on the field, but is not touched by any player, how long can the ball sit there on the ground burning the clock before it is considered dead?

What about a blocked FG (Leon Lett against the Dolphins)? If something like that happened at the beginning of a quarter, I assume the Cowboys can't just stand there staring at the ball for 15 minutes while the clock ticks down.

Also, regarding Leon Lett's Thanksgiving blunder, what would have happened if one of the Dolphins had slide tackled the ball instead of Leon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That clears things up for me. Thanks much!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Along those lines, I was wondering about the shoes the players wear. It seems like Nike or whoever holds the contract makes several different styles of shoes, and them decorates them in specific team colors for the NFL players to wear. Do they just make a few hundred pairs of shoes for each team and call it a day, or do they mass market the exact same shoes that the NFL players are wearing?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

It's also an NFL foul to have an ineligible number uncovered (nope, no good reason there either)

Wouldn't the tackles be ineligible and uncovered most any time there isn't a TE next to them?

If it is 3rd or 4th down and the offense moves the ball past the 1st down line and then fumbles and loses possession, does it go down in the stats as a conversion? If it was a pass, would the QB get credit for a completion?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That clears things up. I thought being covered meant the guy was lining up right next to them.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Reading that description makes me think that it won't generate much interest because the rules make it a game that is somewhat similar to football, but not really NFL football at all.

I don't remember if it was this thread or something I was talking about with a friend, but I thought it would be kind of cool if the Pro-Bowl game was played by the losers of the AFC/NFC conference champion games with some incentive involved to win.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

A Violence Gang posted:

Punt returner also has to be not a goddamn moron and know when to fair catch, and I'm sure all of us have a shining example of someone from your team who could not achieve this.

For every problem, there is a simple solution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBWYvCo8Rvw

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

When they change the markings on the field, for example the Superbowl, how do they get rid of the old markings? I guess on grass, you could just wait long enough and mow it, but what if you don't have that kind of time? What about turf? I'm picturing some guy driving around on the field on some industrial carpet cleaning vehicle.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

What is that design painted near the sidelines of the 50 yard line at the Patriots stadium that looks somewhat like a gray face guard with a dark blue outline and yellow lines radiating out from it?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In a play with a bunch of laterals, how do they figure the stats? Does each person who handled the ball get some rushing yards credited to them? What if it was initially a pass - does the end result of a bunch of laterals count as passing/receiving yards?

If a penalty is declined, does it still show up on the penalties/yards stat, or is it like it never happened?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Any idea why the home team is allowed to have two more people in the bench area?

What factors do teams consider when deciding if they want to defend left or right after the coin toss? Seems to me like it wouldn't make any difference since they switch every quarter.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Why don't they spread the Superbowl hosts move evenly? It's not like if they had the Superbowl in Green Bay or Buffalo people wouldn't show up.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

If Tomlin had been flagged for being in the way, how would the call have gone? Meaning, would Tomlin had been directly referenced, either by name or as the HC, or would have been a call against the Steelers in general?

I don't have an answer, but do you have a video clip of what you are talking about?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Was there some change to the length of the season in the 90s where they added a week? I seem to remember something changed to allow all teams (instead of just some teams) to have bye-weeks but the logic of that doesn't make sense.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I figured it out. It was 1993 where they added an extra week so all teams would get two bye weeks. Not sure why they got rid of it, though. Seemed like a good idea to me.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is there a lot of useful information for the defense on the wristband the quarterbacks wear? Like if he got sacked, would the defense gain an advantage by getting a good look at what is on there?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Can punters influence the bounce of the ball? Like get it to stop dead or bounce deep if the returning team decides not to field it?

With so many players switching teams every year, how do teams handle playbook security? I'm wondering if there are situations where a very important game is on the line and one of the players previously played for the opposition team if the coaches might look to them for information that would give them an edge.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If a team has the ball on their own goal line, is there really any penalty for taking a delay of game penalty? As I understand it, it is 5 yards or half the distance.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Can anybody explain, or point me in a good direction for a non-biased objective write up, why the last Superbowl ended up being so lopsided? I can guess that the first safety probably rattled Denver, and the Seahawks were in top form, but I'd assume there's more to it to have caused Denver to fall apart so badly.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That was very informative and entertaining. Thanks!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In overtime, if team A kicks onside and recovers, then scores a field goal, does team B get a possession, or is it over?

Edit: nevermind, google is my friend.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 12, 2014

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Could also include "Giving him the business" and a clips of Ed Hochuli whenever he explains something.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

For the last 3 years or so, Phil Sims in Madden football has been telling me that when an offense stays on the field for a long time, the defense gets tired and they make mistakes. Doesn't it stand to reason that the offense would also be getting tired and more prone to making mistakes?

edit: I mean in real life. I wasn't asking a question about Madden football.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Rooster Brooster posted:

Smart Football just posted a really nice glossary of football terminology that might be helpful to some 1st Downies out there.

I'm trying to figure out, like on a scale of 1-10, how dumb I am. I've been playing Madden Football for 5-6 years and I only knew (or at least had somewhat of an idea) about 10% of that stuff. Do most of the people posting in the gameday threads know all this stuff and I just have some sort of learning disability?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

For further questions, are there generalizations about divisions/conferences?

In 2010, Seattle won the NFC West with a 7-9 record and that was good enough to get them home field advantage going into the playoffs. Last year, Arizona (also in the NFC West) had a record of 10-6 and didn't even get a wildcard spot in the playoffs. Even if they had won their last game to go 11-5, I seem to recall that they still wouldn't have gotten a playoff spot. Things change too much from year to year to have generalizations like that.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Is a spike or kneel counted against the QB rating/stats?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He was the only one of his generation to both receive both overwhelming success and praise while also refusing to gracefully vanish

Phil Simms. Even 30 years later he is still in my life every time I play Madden; telling me the most painfully obvious things. "I can tell you one thing - third and short is easier than third and long."

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Are all of the athletic facilities and administrative offices generally located within the stadiums, or do they do some of that stuff in nondescript office buildings?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Now that I think about it, it makes sense. If I was going to have my team to come in and review film or whatever they do when they aren't playing, It would probably be a pain in the rear end for them to have to come to work in the stadium when Garth Brooks is playing or whatever else they do with the stadiums the rest of the week.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I assume there isn't a rule against it, but is there any good reason why a team wouldn't want to run up the score?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was referring to the NFL with my question about running up the score. Being that it is a business, I would assume "good sportsmanship", "professional courtesy", and "feelings" don't matter when it came to marketing a team and the slim chance that a playoff spot is decided by PF/PA.

Deteriorata posted:

Also, players get frustrated and will tend to foul deliberately and cause injuries and start fights when they're incapable of stopping the other team legally. It's generally better not to provoke such reactions in the first place.

Good point.

Deteriorata posted:

When it's clear to everyone that you're the better team and could score at will, it doesn't really gain you anything to go ahead and do it. It just makes you look like an rear end in a top hat, like beating up on a cripple.

In the NFL, does that really factor in? Fans are pretty diehard, so I would think that being a dominant team would outweigh being an rear end in a top hat and beating up on a cripple. I don't know any Seahawks fans that felt bad about the last Superbowl.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

El Seano posted:

So after watching the 30 for 30 documentary on Bo Jackson I was blown away but also as somebody that had only heard the name before tonight skeptical.

Was he actually that good or was that just a very well put together documentary? I mean some of the clips they show were admittedly ridiculous like switching sides of the field on a run play but was he overall this dynamic force and the best RB in the game at the time as they claimed or have they just stitched together the best parts and made it sound great?

I'm not going to name any names or point any fingers, but I think somebody in this thread has never played Tecmo Bowl.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Does a quarterback have any special protection if he is trying to stop a cornerback from advancing an interception?

If a quarterback fumbles while getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage, is it still considered a sack? If the running back fumbles while being tackled, is that considered a tackle on the defender's stats? What if the running back just gets it knocked out of his hands (assuming he clearly had possession) and he never actually goes down before the play is ruled dead?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

What was the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against Cincinnati at the end of the ARI-CIN game last night? I get that it has something to do with the defense calling out Palmer's cadence, but I don't understand what that means at all.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That makes sense. I was thinking he somehow knew the snap count and was alerting his teammates which didn't seem to me like it should be illegal.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

When quarterbacks call out stuff on the line, they always sound very gruff and manly. Are there any NFL quarterbacks that have soft feminine voices or a gay lisp or anything like that? I'm talking about the pre-snap shouting, not interviews and such.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the ARI/GB game, Larry Fitzgerald got a penalty in the second half for (I think) unsportsmanlike conduct when he hit another player. The commentators were saying it had something to do with him moving towards the goal line instead of perpendicular or reversing direction or something like that. Sorry it is so vague, but I had no idea even what they are talking about. Can somebody tell me what the significance was with what direction he was going?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, they've loosened up the assisting the runner rule a little bit by allowing teammates to push from behind (the "Bush Push" ruling), but otherwise the runner is on his own - precisely for the reasons you specify. Runners would be pushed, pulled, carried, even thrown over the line prior to 1910, resulting in horrific injuries.

It's "legal" in the end zone only because the play is over and the ball is dead once it crosses the goal line, and thus the assistance is rendered after the play.

In the situation where a player has a clear shot to the end zone and a teammate is trailing him, was it ever an assisting foul for the teammate to pat the runner on the back while yelling "GO GO GO! YOU GOT IT!"? Just wondering how strictly the assisting rule was/is enforced.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

El Seano posted:

Also how the gently caress did the Pats win 11 games and still not make the playoffs? Surely there cannot be many more examples of winning double digit games and not making the playoffs?

Arizona went 10-6 in 2013 and didn't make it. Even if they had gone 11-5, they still wouldn't have made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Playing Madden 17 and fumbled on a kickoff return. The commentary says something about a new rule where you can't advance the ball in that situation under the two minute warning. Does that only apply to the receiving team, or is it considered a dead ball when recovered no matter which team recovers?

• Locked thread