Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm in enterprise IT doing Powershell, and our network has it locked down pretty hard. We can't create remote sessions or use Invoke, I have to push a script to the target machine and invoke it with psexec.

It makes doing a lot of things much harder than it has to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Yes, allowing psexec is way better :smith:

Yeah.

My favorite part of my job is going online and finding a really elegant bit of code I could steal, except it won't run in our environment because Our Swiss Overlords have very definite ideas about security..

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Wicaeed posted:

Another suggestion from the same person that proposed completely disabling PowerShell in our environment.

He wants to use completely random computer names for every device. Every. Device.

Laptops. Printers. Domain Controllers. Switches. Routers. Servers. Application Servers.

Like, I get it. It is harder to snoop your network and find out useful information. But at some point someone, somewhere has to WORK on the loving thing.

Some people just want to watch the world burn, other people seem to want to be set on fire.

Are they trolling your management ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

-d is the correct switch to delete an SPN record, I had to do that several times last week for a cranky SQL Server.

Oh hey, guess who just got handed a list of about 1000 client machines that need to be migrated from SCCM 2007 to 2012 ? I pray they aren't in a hurry, I have a LOT of reading to do.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sheesh. Look at all these admins in luxury jobs where you can just create a GPO when you need one. We're about 15% of the global organization and we have to put in a request ticket for every GPO we need. We have the GPO Author role, we just can't create, just edit.

We also have a root-cause investigation open in to how a batch of SPF records were deleted from DNS, sending tens of thousands of emails to partners directly to spam. It turns out the vendor for the third-party app involved see this so often, their phone support agents can troubleshoot SPF records.

There's a lot I don't miss about being the only person who can (or should) touch infrastructure in a job, but not having a team on another continent able to approve, deny, or break all my poo poo isn't one of them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We might have to chip in on that, we'll have easily 1000 Win7 machines on the network in January.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

Solarwinds SAM

Solarwinds exists only as a service where you give them the contact info of someone you don't like and they make your enemy's life miserable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Quest software is pissing me off ever since Dell sold them to Private equity.

Really ? Uh oh, we just deployed about 1300 KACE clients.

Using PowerShell scripts I wrote :-)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

charity rereg posted:

Thanks, we haven't gotten ours yet. That'll be fairly easy to deploy then.

I wonder how it'll work for us, we bought a subset of another business units' larger purchase. Probably have to keep meticulous track of the number. I only had to buy 200 out of maybe 10x that on the order, I think they were expecting to receive a sheet of keys. Oh well, cheaper and easier than getting those machines on 10.

I may end up managing a thousand or so extended support machines. Hurrah !

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

Just curious, for the extended support people, are these machines running programs that require Windows 7, or are these a bunch of office machines for which there's not the organizational inertia to upgrade?

Both ! I have systems running $2 million dollar MRI machines that are on 7 or even XP. We don't have an upgrade path for the software, and replacing the $2 million dollar instrument would also involve demoing part of the ground floor to get the goddamn things out. Extended support is a rounding error in that equation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

charity rereg posted:

Like I still think this is the difference between "really really big office" and "enterprise" - the costs for even 3 years of support on a lot of this stuff are rounding errors to us.

Yeah. I multiplied the $20 cost for extended Win 7 support by the number of Win 7 machines connected to instruments and... we have workstations that cost more than that[1]. We'd spend more than that in Change Control meetings[2] to plan the implementation of me deploying the .exe that registers a machine for extended support by pushing acouple of buttons in KACE[3]

[1] Computational Biology has some compute nodes with 2 TB RAM.
[2] We spend a lot on catering.
[3] It also involves some copy & paste in the generic "deploy an executable" script. I only have to touch two variables defined at the top of the script.[4]
[4] I should make the command-line switches a variable.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Does the native Files app not do this in a satisfactory way?

Does files do that on a modern iPad ? 'cause that'd be super handy for a thing at work.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

You know what they say, it takes a village.

And the idiot is in charge of developing licensing schemes for Microsoft.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

klosterdev posted:

We've had good experience with Sophos, at least compared to moving away from the disaster that is SEP

I'd be a broken man if the team that manages SEP for us wasn't super helpful and responsive.And if at least some of our instrument vendors weren't providing detailed breakdowns of what exclusions they need.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

explain how to tie a shoe to someone who doesn’t think they need to understand shoes, knots, or feet.

I'm pretty good at step-by-step documentation for the lay public, but even in those I'll provide summaries at the top of each section. "Now we're going to set the network adapter to DHCP, with manual DNS servers xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and xxx.yyy.xxx.xxx, now here's every click to accomplish this. That lets someone who knows what they're doing skim through and get the specifics they need, and gives some overview for the novice who needs their hand held throughout.

And for documentation meant for other techs ? Set these two parameters in control panels, then open up gpedit.msc and enable these three policies.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

But the Startup folder in the users app data/roaming/blahblah is missing. If I add a task to create it will windows just pick it up automatically?

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup might exist.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

If you give one of the affected machines a static IP, can it ping the DNS and/or DHCP servers its supposed to be talking to ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We just went to 15-character minimum, no special character, 1-year expiration on generic accounts. Like all the labs use on the instrument stations. I foresee a steady increase in sticky note and label printer usage over the next few years.

And yes, we have been featured in a photo essay at DEFCON.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

You don't want to install LTSC branches on desktops, the official word is that Windows 10 LTSC is for, like, aircraft control computers. I think there are some technical limitations why certain apps won't work on LTSC, but also I think it's a ploy by Microsoft (that I happen to agree with) to make LTSC as painful to use as possible, otherwise every enterprise would just install LTSC and do big fleet-wide upgrades every 5 years like they did with XP/Vista/7/8/ etc instead of sticking with the rolling releases.

I manage ~1500 LTSC systems. Instrument control machines, mass spectrometers, MRIs, plate reader robots, liquid chromatographs (we've got someone who figured out how to do 2D liquid chromatography). And that number is going up as the Win7 systems get migrated.

All pets, no cattle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

If your use case can not tolerate automatic updates, it shouldn't be running Windows 10 desktop edition and probably shouldn't be running Windows at all.

Ask me about vendor Linux systems. I was hands on with a Fedora 10 system earlier this month.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Hint: It's not the number of logins for each generic account. I've got 12-22 uses per generic account in some of the labs I support. We only get a handful of machines a year out of 1500-1600 falling off the domain without being offline for 3+ months.

Of course, AD at enterprise scale is in perpetual closed beta since MS just can't, simply cannot, do regression testing for AD code in test environments that look anything like our production environments. So poo poo happens, it just hasn't for me in your situation.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I live in Google Meet for much of the week. You can share a window, your whole screen or just a Chrome tab. I would recommend using Chrome for Google Meet so you can take advantage of that. Google Apps is pretty well integrated with Meet these days, if you're in a meeting you can present the spreadsheet from the tab with the spreadsheet open in it, instead of trying to find it in the list of open tabs. Protip: if you select the tab and then switch back to the Meet tab, the Apps tab you were just on will at the top of the list.

I would kill for the option to do remote control sessions in Meet. People in the labs could finally shut up about TeamViewer. It's about the only full feature it's missing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Lucky me, there's a good chance I'll get some training and hands on experience with Intune before layoffs knock me out.

:yotj:

For stuff I'm actually super excited about, my Nexthink for Lab Systems PoC has 15 systems and has already picked out two systems that need an upgrade; one platter to SSD and one machine where loving oracle.exe is trying to use 14GB of RAM on a machine with 16GB physical RAM. They're both problems that my team can fix with other people's money, but people selling us instruments costing six or seven figures will bundle appallingly underspecced computers with the instruments.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

incoherent posted:

intune is a full rear end job if you're spinning iOS, MacOS, Windows, and Android plates. Once you dial it in the only challenge is keeping your packages up to date.

One of my current projects is evaluating InTune for the lab environment and comparing it to KACE, which we currently use for proactive support, reporting, and security patching. The proactive stuff is taking advantage of a KACE feature called Custom Inventory Objects. Those run any single command line command, batch or PowerShell, and store it as a field in the database. I can do things like have every machine run 'wmic diskdrive get status' at every check-in and alert if the phrase "fail" shows up. You can stretch "one command line statement" out a lot if you're willing to get liberal with semicolons in PowerShell. I think I have 5 in a check on the size of a specific folder I wanted to report on.

We're gonna spend a couple of quarters on this and I'm gonna and up reporting that they complement each other, but there's no compelling reason to ditch our on-prem AD until Global wants to move the whole company.

LOL, that can wait until I retire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I've been out of the BOFH game for a while myself, but isn't RAID 10 vastly preferred to RAID5 nowadays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Spyderizer posted:

This customer has been on Intune for a while, so there's a shitload of policies and I can't see anything in there that looks like it might set that. Is there anything I can query that can tell me what MDfCA has seen in Intune that's generated the recommendation? I've tried advanced hunting and azure monitor but I might be either too dumb for this or the necessary log passthrough might not be enabled.

Quasi-related question from someone still in an onpremAD environment...

Is there a gpresults equivalent for Microsoft's cloud GPO thingy? Any way to get a report of what policies an endpoint is getting from InTune et al?