Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Day 5 of our SEP definitions not updating properly. We had to reinstall our LUA for :reasons: and it keeps erroring out that definitions files are missing, support plx halp :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Gyshall posted:

Uninstall SEP, install ESET, never worry about antivirus again. Seriously, it's 2014

Are you talking about having to repaint the window or just a reconnect dialog? Full screen or windowed? What does the network topology look like between domains? (IPsec, RDP through firewalls, etc.)

Jesus christ if I had this choice I would do something about it. Too bad I'm a lowly sys admin (jr sys admin? I dunno my job title is Technical Consultant) for an MSP and my client is our largest client, they make the calls, we've attempted to sway them to other AV programs but so far have been unable, it's a loving nightmare.

This is apparently something that happens every 6 or so months where LUA just decides to break, but it's never broken this badly and it might not be on our end, it might be an issue on Symantec's end. This is driving me up the wall, giving me pretty bad anxiety atm because I just got promoted to this position and then everything loving breaks that I'm supposed to be taking care of. oh well gently caress it, I put in a ticket with Symantec and we'll see if these jokers can figure it out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Co-worker of mine found something interesting over the weekend.

His roommate has a macbook for work, it's joined to their domain blah blah blah. Well, said roommate has a lovely laptop for home use and can barely play games, he asked my co-worker if he knew a way to get around UAC so he could install games from steam on the macbook. Co-worker said that he might know a way, but that it probably violates company policy and if he does it, that anything that happens after is not his problem. Roommate was ok with this.

So, my friend booted to an OSX CD, re-partitioned some of the drive and installed OSX on the new partition. That new partition uses completely different credentials but is able to access everything from the primary partition, i.e. all his work stuff.

I'm curious if this works on windows as well, because it seems like an easy way around security protocol unless the drive is encrypted.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So apparently SCCM licensing has changed? Anyone heard anything about this?

It was mentioned in one of the threads a page or two back, I forget if it was this one or the working in IT thread... I think they are charging more per server or something?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Cross-posting this question to hit a wider array of people:

I know this has come up before, perhaps in another thread, but I can't find the info now and I was foolish and never saved URLs of the recommended sites.

What sites do you guys frequent to stay up-to-date on technology or general websites you use in your IT life?

I mostly use spiceworks forums and SA and then follow links to learn things/find out about stuff, but I'm looking to expand my list of sites to visit a couple times a week to look at discussions/news. Any recommended blogs, news sites, communities or whatever are very welcomed

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Going to move this to CoC once I get my thoughts together and look at this some more.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 21, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Couldn't you make this two steps? Export the name of all the objects in a OU to a .csv such as ou1.csv then have ps read ou1.csv and move those objects?

But it won't know which OU to move them to? We are going from 8 OUs to 22 OUs, the current OU structure and what objects are in them isn't going to matter or help with the structure we're going to. Actually our current structure.. now that i think about it, is 9 OUs, 1 OU has 2200 objects, 6 of them have 300 or so in each and the last 2 have the rest.

Unless I misunderstood what you were saying.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

skipdogg posted:

There's a powershell thread in CoC that is really useful

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

This may not be the best way to do it, but I would add a column to your CSV that has the target OU in it, move the $targetOU variable into the for each loop then do something like this

code:
$ComputersPath = Import-CSV c:\myfile.csv

foreach ($item in $ComputersPath){
$computer = Get-ADComputer $item.CompName
$targetOU = $item.OU

Move-ADObject -Identity $computer.DistinguishedName -TargetPath $targetOU -Confirm:$false
}
I didn't check your code to test it, but that's how I would approach it

You already have 22 files, each one of those is for it's own OU right?

Yes, 22 files each represents an OU we are creating, the files contain only location name though, we have 2 objects per location (HOST000001 and GUEST000001) and the file is setup as 0000001, 0000002, 000003, etc

Also, thanks I didn't realize there was a PS thread in CoC (I honestly didn't even think about it)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Trying to do some WMI filtering on GPOs and I've got a question because I keep running into syntax errors doing what I'm trying to do (possibly because you can't do it!)

I've got a few filters setup that look at Win32_OperatingSystem and others that look at Win32_ComputerSystem (specifically using name like "blah"). I'd also like to setup a few filters that look at both computer name AND operating system to apply a GPO, is there anyway to do that, or am I going to have to drill into item level targetting (please god no)

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sacred Cow posted:

1 Primary site, 1 Secondary site and 1 Distribution point across 2 Forests
Several thousand clients
About 60 Collections
Not using OSD yet(plenty of test images/TS that work successfully)
Patching every Patch Tuesday
Using Endpoint Protection
Not using Compliance Settings
Not using any Intune services

If the consultant cost more then $0, they will not go for that idea.

I feel like you most likely work for my client.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sacred Cow posted:

Probably not. We're a bare-bones IT department for a small private company. We got bought out recently and I'm sure most of you know how that usually works out.

Ahh ok, well let's just say that the client I am currently assigned to is pretty much what you described

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Coredump posted:

Just double checked everything this morning. The SID's are different, so the machines have been sysprepped correctly. The new machine does kill the trust relationship of the existing pc and take over as the computer linked to the object in AD. My question is, can this be stopped? Is there a way to have the AD check to see if there is a computer objected in AD and stop the new one from joining? We have people who are not checking names properly and will add a new computer to the AD and kill the trust relationship of a computer in a classroom causing all sorts of issues.

Automate the process so people aren't manually doing this?

I just wrote a vbscript (don't ask, I wanted powershell, they said no for now, in 6-months when our backend is refreshed I'll be allowed to do the powershell version), it takes a csv of objects I'm creating, checks if that objects exists, if it does, it logs the information and moves to the next object, if it doesn't already see the object in AD it will create it and do all sorts of other fun stuff. The nice thing is that this whole process is automated, the CSV is a feed from one of other systems, so now that it's setup and tested I don't do shiiiiit.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

hihifellow posted:

I posted it halfway up the this page and it's not a bad idea, especially if you have nothing managing local admin passwords except a spreadsheet you hope people keep updated (or worse, the same password for everything (like us :cry:))

As far as impact it's pretty drat minor. I mean if your AD is held together with rope and ritual sacrifices yeah it might break something, but if you're in that situation you've got more important things to worry about.

We use ERPM to manage 5 7 local users on 2207 guest VMs and 2 accounts on 2207 host machines and then another 100 or so users on our backend systems, and at some point I think we will use this because the actual default admin user gives us terrible trouble when trying to use ERPM to spin (randomize) the password. We will probably let this mature a bit first though because we already have enough problems to handle without adding a completely new one.

Don't ask why we do it this way (the massive amounts of local users that is), I've been told that at the time it was the best way to do what we wanted (honestly after working here for a few years, it does seem like it was the best way), but it will be nice when we upgrade our 2207 remote locations to server 2012, and when we upgrade our production DCs to 2012 and change functional level from 2003 to 2012.

Boy was I pissed off when I wrote a PS script to move all the AD objects around for an org structure only to find out that it wouldn't work in our production environment because the AD PS tools/hooks didn't come around till 2008 R2. I was especially angry because literally 2 days before I started writing the script is when we changed our QA functional level to 2012 as preparation for our massive backend/frontend upgrades.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 15, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, what's everyone experience with modifying intra/inter AD Replication timing?

I've asked a few a people and the overwhelming response I've got is ":aaa: that will use a lot of bandwidth!" and I've replied well how much exactly?

The kicker is no one is able to give me specifics and I'm really pushing towards just putting down 5 minutes for everything because it seems like a good number and there's nothing bandwidth intensive using our intra-site links.

Thoughts?

lowest replication can go is 15 minutes though, unless we're talking about different stuff. We have 5000+ devices in our environment and have no issues, we have 5 different sites defined as well.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Great post, I have no idea why it took me so goddamn long to find an answer for this question. Curious, do you work for MS?

Most of that information is found pretty quckly when googling sites and services (ok maybe not REALLY quickly). I spent about 4 hours one night trouble shooting some domain issues and learned a boatload about sites and services and other stuff, I'll see if I can dig up the one link I found.. it was basically a boatload of info on sites and services in one page...

*EDIT* well after googling for a bit I can't seem to find the drat website. Apparently when I'm half asleep I'm better at googling than I am when I'm wide awake and well fed

MF_James fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 19, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I'm getting conflicting information when googling for this stuff so here goes...

Doing a quick and dirty fix for some website issues we're having with our 2003 machines while we wait to convert to 2012. What I want to do is turn OFF compatibility mode for all intranet websites, because the default is to have it on and it's screwing with some website(s) that updated recently.

I'm pretty sure the policy I should be screwing with is: Comp Config\admin templates\windows components\IE\Compatibility view "Turn on Internet Explorer 7 Standards Mode"

Now I've seen conflicting information as to whether enabling or disabling this setting will achieve what I want.

I'm attempting to test this, but I'm currently fighting with some QA machines that apparently do not want the setting or something, it's hard to diagnose because I can't actually use gpresult or anything that will tell me WHAT GPs are currently applied to the computer. Anyone dealt with this before that can say whether the setting should be enabled or disabled?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

peak debt posted:

You can buy technically legal Windows 10 keys from Russian resellers for less than 20 bux so spending 1300 on an MSDN license is probably a bit overkill. Especially since you have to be extra careful about how you use that MSDN software and stay within what's allowed.

As for packaging utilities, if you need something more comfortable than Orca, I'd recommend Advanced Installer. It's got a good UI and you can buy the lowest paid edition for $400. The only important feature that one is missing is creating MSP files but those are hardly used now that nobody cares about saving bandwidth anymore.

To find out what group policy is currently getting applied on a PC you need to run rsop.msc

I don't know this for sure, but I feel like compatibility view settings should be more of a user policy than a computer policy.

oh hey I was right, rsop gives access denied once I try to drill into the different configurations.

You're probably right about user vs computer though, I just was messing with the computer policy since that's where we have a few settings already configured, whereas in the user area we have no settings configured.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 4, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I had to go through this before - we changed an Intranet page to actually render properly in newer browsers, and the public IE compatibility list didn't know that the page it thought should run in this mode didn't exist any more.

If you control the web servers then send the X-UA-Compatible header which will override whatever IE wants to do with the page:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676913(v=vs.85).aspx

sadly we do not control the site and it's highly unlikely we will be able to ask them for any sort of change, we're stuck fixing it on our end.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

dox posted:

Here are some good customizations for Windows 10 OSD-- most of everything else stays the same. Just make sure to make new Task Sequences for 10 after upgrading MDT.

The loopback address should be configured as the 2nd/3rd DNS server.

Yes, this, it's still what microsoft recommends. You do have multiple DCs up that you can use as DNS servers.. right........... right?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

What's the best way to deploy a GPO? For example, I want to...

• Set the Taskbar Buttons: Combine When Taskbar is Full
  • Customize Notification Icons: Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar

Google tells me the first options defined with...

code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\

DWORD TaskbarGlomLevel=1
The next one is already a GPO...

code:
User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Start Menu and Taskbar\Hide the notification area
Do I make a new GPO or do I just add these to the already existing Default Group Policy GPO? I've noticed this registry key doesn't exist do I just add the key manually?

I would think it comes down to a few questions: Do you actually use the default user policy and not have any others linked at the highest level? Are these 2 settings going to apply to every user always? Does it make sense for it to be there, or do you have another GPO that also acts as a defacto default policy applied? If yes, I would guess they would be a good candidate for the default user policy. I don't see a reason to complicate things and cause longer processing times with multiple GPOs that are going to apply to all your users. What you want to avoid at the very top level GPOs is filtering of any kind because you should just be creating them at lower level OUs if they are going to only apply to certain groups of users.

If there is no actual GPO setting then, yes, you will have to make a straight registry edit. I'm not sure regarding that specific item. I think with reg edits what you want to do is set it to "Apply once and do not reapply", but this could be incorrect after doing some quick research, because apparently in 2008 there can be an issue where it will fail to apply but then won't try to re-apply, and there might be a straight "create" option so that it only re-applies when the key doesn't exist. I haven't done a lot with straight reg edits, most of those were already built into our GP so that might be slightly off.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2015

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Moey posted:

I am in the same boat Docjowles. Too much stuff to migrate it, too scared to rename in. I could lab it to see what happens, but for now I will leave it on the back-burner.

even labbing it there's likely a bunch of poo poo that you can't test or just won't see because you're 1 dude (with maybe a few helpers) and your owrkplace is hundreds if not thousands of dudes + workstations and servers and oh my god we renamed it and now 70% of people can't log in and the other 30% can't access $webhostedapp$

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Group Policy question here.

We're rolling IE 11 out to certain testers, everybody else stays on IE 9. Previous GPO management used the deprecated "Internet Maintenance" administration. I've created a new GPO replicating all settings to "Comp Config / Policies / Admin Temp / Windows Compon / Internet Explorer" administration. I want this new policy to target IE 11 machines, and the old IE 9 policy to be ignored (just to make sure the old policy isn't doing something I should have covered).

I have an AD security group with the IE 11 computers. New policy is targeting these machines, works fine.

IE 9 policy has been set to "Read : Deny" for the IE 11 Computers group. The user accounts are still pulling them in, though, so the policy still applies. I cannot filter on user account because users may move around to a computer with IE 9.

I've also dicked around with WMI filtering on the IE 9 policy so it filters out computers with IE version 11 installed, but can't get it to work (returns no results and doesn't apply to anybody).

What's my best solution here? Shouldn't the Read:Deny prevent the policy from applying to the user account anyway? What else can I throw in there to make sure the IE 9 policy doesn't hit computers in the IE 11 Computers AD group?

My first question would be... why are your users and your computers mixed together? That's going to cause all sorts of hell for group policy unless you want everything to apply to all users/computers... I don't know a way around what you're experiencing because I've never had issues where users are falling into the same OU as computers...

Like a sane structure would be forest --> Users OU and at the same level a Computers OU, link any policies that are computer policies to the computers OU and anything that's a user policy to the user OU.

Although you are the one with the really hosed AD environment right? That's pretty hosed if you've got all this poo poo falling together...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

^-- also yes, what he said.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

They're not, and I guess maybe I'm just being lazy about fixing the old policy.

Old policy is applying to "Authenticated Users" which hits computers and user accounts, and is currently applied to a top-level OU. Sub-OUs are separated by department / branch, so there are 22 OUs with "User" and "Computer" containers. I guess the real answer is to change the scope links from the 4 generic to the 22 specific OUs they should be applying to and avoid linking it to any user accounts.

I was hoping for an easy Security Filtering option, but doesn't look like I'll find one.

Your link order matters, as well, so check this out rq:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757050(v=ws.10).aspx

basically stuff linked at the lowest level will overwrite stuff linked at the highest level, link order matters etc. If you are doing Something at the top-level domain and then doing it in the lowest child OU level, the child OU will win out, but if you are doing it 2 different ways I don't know what exactly will happen (there are a few instances where you can do the same thing 2-3 different ways, after testing, generally there's a correct way to do it)

Also, the link order within the OU matters, stuff processed last (so higher link order number iirc) always wins.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

This just in: Not every company handles budgets the same way, loving SHOCKER

MF_James
May 8, 2008

cached credentials?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

is there an easy way to find out what local policy edits have been made to a machine?

I am hoping there's something like rsop/gpresult that will only look at local policy edits. Trying to figure out how someone got some stuff to work on one server so I can document and migrate to another, there are a few local edits that I've found, but I'm pretty sure there's more that I'm missing and there's too much poo poo to go through by hand to figure it out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a service that keeps getting stopped and disabled. I found out the trigger is when group policy updates.

Anyone know any policies that would do that? There's just a zillion of GPOs to look through and nothing seems to match. :(

Well sounds like you've got a GPO that sets that service as disabled. Pick whatever OU in GPM you're having issues with and start looking at the details of each GPO and ctrl-f for the service you're looking for. You created your own policies, we can't tell you what is doing it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

What's crazy is that it's not a normal service like the spooler, it's a custom one.

My understanding is that with group policy, you have to go out of your way to specifically disable services.

I don't see it in the GPOs, it's really twisting my brain up.

Maybe some devious architect made a policy to disable this service years ago on the off chance that we'd one day buy this product, install it and *trap sprung!*

Do you have a test environment experiencing the same problem? Disable GPOs 1 at a time, or all at once and see what happens.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sickening posted:

Remove the folder that local group policy is saved in. This is one of the first thing I do before trying to figure out mysteries such as these.

To all of you using local group policy in 2016, gently caress you forever.

YYUUUUPPPPP

We just decommed 50-60 servers and replaced them with new VMs/hosts etc. The amount of times i had to dig around in local policies to figure out why poo poo wasn't working was astounding.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

This sounds like one of those "there was a good reason at the time" stories that everyone involved forgot about.

Yuuuup, Also, give it 3-5 days, everything will explode, and it can be pointed back to this policy that no one remembers making or why, but clearly there was a point because now everything is smoldering ash.

(just kidding :))

Also, the fact that you can ctrl-F and search the settings of the policies is a huge help when you're walking into a bunch of policies you did not make and you're attempting to figure out stuff just like this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

We do GPO by OU somewhat, but it's tiered and not a monster, we also only have like 20 GPOs total and none of them are monsters.

We do some security filtering and WMI filtering (yes I know that's not preferable but it was the easiest way)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 15, 2016

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

What I am not doing is making an OU called "Marketing Printers" and putting everyone who needs access to the Marketing printers in that.

Yeah this sounds stupid, I would probably kill someone that did this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ugh going to go loving crazy trying to figure this out, wonder if maybe one of you guys could help.

I've got 2200 remote machines with ~10 LOCAL users each (they are all named the same across all the machines), and running server 2012 R2. 90% of these users have hosed up file associations for xls/doc type files, don't ask, it's awful and I'm pretty pissed the "project" team that caused this problem does not have to fix it. So, domain level USER GPOs are out of the question, which sucks because there's a group policy user preference item that would do exactly what I need. I've tried this: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...ailto-protocol/ and it did add a reg entry for the program I selected, but did not seem to actually do anything useful, unless I'm dumb and did it wrong. Server 2012 and on hashes user registry hives so I can't just load hives, delete keys, import and unload, it will just return to what it was before (kind of).

Anyone dealt with something like this have any ideas? I've got a microsoft ticket open, but uh they keep sending me "fixes" that are domain user GPOs. Switching to domain users is the end-game goal, but it's not a possibility at the moment.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

That sounds awful and you have my condolences for having to support what sounds like an awful setup.

I'm not familiar with what you mean by Windows 2012 hashing profiles and a quick glance did not bring up anything relevant, but cant' you just have a script that iterates through the relevant users in HKEY_USERS and sets the settings you need (or wipes it out and lets the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE settings take over or whatever you need to do)?

I can't find the info I found before, but, if I load a user hive as my admin account, then delete the keys, import the keys I want, and then unload the hive, log the user on, nothing will have changed (essentially), if I then log the user off, load the hive again, I see the same registry entries that were there before I hosed with it. I found somewhere that talked about how user registries are being hashed in windows 8/2012 which causes this not to work.

Which means what you're suggesting won't work because it's essentially what I already tried.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

buffbus posted:

I haven't had the misfortune of supporting local accounts in a domain setting but a possibility is applying the user side preference as a loop back gpo linked to the computer ou.

Hmm this sounds crazy enough to work, I'll give that a go, worst case I waste 30 minutes.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Swink posted:

I've got Domain Controllers running on HyperV 2012R2. The VM infrastructure cannot update group policy from the domain controllers, while physical infrastructure can.

This includes other virtualised domain controllers - sysvol replication doesnt occur.

Everything else is fine - DNS and AD objects replicates fine, all clients can use the DNS services with no issues. The problem is specifically with other virtual machines trying to update GP. This includes other VMs running on other HyperV hosts and even VMs running on my PC with virtualbox. (my Physical PC has no problem)

The clients get errors like this:

code:
The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows could not obtain the name of a domain controller. This could be caused by a name resolution failure. Verify your Domain Name System (DNS) is configured and working correctly.

The LDAP call to connect and bind to Active Directory completed. 
dc-1.domain.local
The call failed after 21015 milliseconds.

Group Policy failed to discover the Domain Controller details in 42828 milliseconds.
The only common thread is that virtualised boxes have the issue. What could it be?

You are selecting the correct VLAN on the virtual switch, right? The NICs on your virtual machines are also configured correctly (domain suffixes etc), right?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

buffbus posted:

Is the AD domain name a subdomain like corp.company.com or at least a publicly reserved but not used variation of your company name? If the internal domain is the exact same name as a different public service and you are relying on split-brain dns zones to make it work, you are going to have a bad time with a lot of things which includes remote access to company resources over a tunnel. Cloud services will suck too once you get to that point. Clients and even most servers like to cache those resolutions.

Yeah this is likely going to be the first answer to your problem, you could have layered issues, but this is the first thing to do.

We just went through this recently for our own domain, we have roughly the same amount of users/servers you do, it was not too terrible.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Also, if the new shortcut will have a different name than the old shortcut, you can put a delete shortcut for the old one. I'd generally recommend using an update option for the new one rather than any other option, if the shortcuts are the exact same name/target typem update will, well.. update it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

HKCU is indeed linked to the user who is currently logged in. You can limit access to RegEdit, but you cannot limit access to HKCU and have programs still work properly. HKCU is where any setting that doesn't reside in a .config or .ini file exists for a user.

HKLM is the registry for that machine. Generally, this is locked down so that only administrators can edit it. You CAN give normal users rights to keys in HKLM if you absolutely need to.

How software uses those keys and what keys need to be edited depends on the software. Very generally speaking - a key for a setting will only exist in HKCU or HKLM, depending on if the software expects the user to be able to change the setting or not. Again, generally speaking, if there is a key in both places HKLM exists to serve as the "default" and HKCU exists to allow the users to set their own setting, so if the key exists in both places HKCU will win.

A very useful method to figuring out how registry keys are impacted when you make a change in the UI is to use something like RegShot. It will allow you to run a "first pass" which records registry settings, then you make your change, then run a "second pass" and it will tell you the differences. Try to make small changes at a time so you can more easily see the impact. It can also monitor folders and files to look for changes in other places, like AppData, ProgramData, or (ugh) Program Files.

Learning how to dictate (or set a preference on) user settings is super useful and something every Windows admin should know. It starts becoming really important when you deal with rolling out software, especially on things like RDS or Citrix.

Also, I think we've had this conversation before, but this is what Group Policy exists for. If you aren't going to get access to it, tell them to either give you the tools to do your job or stop asking you to do poo poo you don't have the proper access to do.

Nah let's just manage our domain by doing edits on EVERY loving MACHINE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

my googlefu is failing me atm.

We've got an RDS farm, 2 brokers and 2 session hosts. The farm itself is fine, but for some reason people can individually connect to servers via IP. Let's say the loadbalanced name is "RDSGateway" and our 2 session hosts are 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2. Load balancing works fine overall, but I can plug in 1.1.1.1 or 1.1.1.2 to individually hit the servers, which shouldn't be possible, or at least it wasn't when terminal services was the thing on our 2003 servers. Is this just a change in behavior or do we have something set incorrectly?

We do not have an RD gateway server configured, just the 2 connection brokers and 2 session hosts.