Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Jang has gotten better but yeah his videos were extremely bitter for a while. It was kind of unwatchable. Felt like every video would have a section where he would, like, imagine what people might say in the comments about what he said, and then argue against that for a while.

Also, I wrote another article for BrickNerd. Wheeee

https://bricknerd.com/home/molds-over-time-part-2-how-part-updates-change-build-techniques-10-19-23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Racingbrick is my favorite by far, since he covers the techniques, elements, and actual build much more than the other guys. Jang and Tiago are fine. MandR isn't even in the conversation - unless he suddenly became radically better in the past couple years. I have him mentally filed away as pure clickbait trash.

edit: also Jang does his homework far less than the other reviewers. He clearly doesn't watch designer interviews or keep up with new elements so he frequently doesn't know if an element or technique is new, and misses details and "why is this in the set" type stuff. Which is fine, if you like the more off-the-cuff casual review style, but it's definitely less comprehensive.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 20, 2023

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is there a channel that ever does roundups of just new pieces and recolours for a wave? I use Tips and Bricks on Instagram for that currently, but it's still set by set.
No, but NewE started doing it monthly about a year ago and is an invaluable resource. If you only visit the site for this and this alone, it'll be worth your time.

https://www.newelementary.com/2023/10/what-are-new-lego-parts-for-october.html

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know why Lego is so averse to making that part or similar parts. They must think it goes against the spirit of Lego or something. Couldn't tell you why but it's my only guess. It would be insanely useful though.
I don't know but at this point, they've developed SO many techniques for stud inversion that it may simply be not fun or even not needed for the designers to have it. I mean, it's such an obvious piece that it must be missing due to specific opposition to it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Oh god I've discovered Bricklink Studio.

How the hell is this free program on par or better than some $1000.00+ cad platforms lol.

Real question. How good is bricklink for sourcing many many copies of a single piece, like lets say 1x13 liftarms?
BrickLink is usually the best option, but if it's a current production part that exists in low quantities on the aftermarket, PAB can be a good (sometimes better) source. And, if you just need a truly unbelievable quantity, you can join an RLUG and get in on the annual bulk. One of our members is working on an enormous trussed bridge and ordered about 1400 1x15 technic liftarms in green. There is no seller in the world on BL that has that many.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

veni veni veni posted:

I think they are officially out of ideas

ijyt posted:

gently caress that is such an ugly green
questionable take zone

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

Gotta camp out for that pirhana plant
Guess you'll be needing this, too

https://flickr.com/photos/193696423@N08/53314783557/

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yeah I immediately reverse engineered it so I can make one for myself at some point, and then hosed with it a bit because I can't leave anything alone and, I mean, it's LEGO. Mostly just structural reinforcement stuff. It's a fantastic MOC and I kind of really want one + a copy of the piranha plant now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

How tight, in real life, would that outter red ring be?
Not tight. It sort of rests against the rounded yellow plates, which is nice. None of it is exerting pressure on the face of the flower or anything.

The main stability issue I ran into with the original design is the stem. The designer used the astromech droid body piece in lime to attach the leaves, which does not have an axle hole through the length of it, so it could not be reinforced at all - the stem, and the weight of the entire head, was just resting on a simple 4 stud connection. I was very much worried about the weight, so I changed the stem to a fully Technic ball jointed design that attaches to an axle that runs through the entire base. The leaves are instead attached to the top of the ? box now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
And again, absolutely 100% all credit to the original designer, Dicken Liu. I checked their Rebrickable before I did anything to see if they are the sort who tends to post instructions for their MOCs, and they are not - they've posted just one model, back in 2019, on RB. So I decided to reverse engineer instead, which is also just good practice - I highly recommend it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

Do you have instructions? Because yes, I need this next to my pirhana plant

I think I didn't ask my question right though:
If the model was just that red outter ring, would it hold its shape? Is it a tight ring attached to the rest of the model or is it like four quarters held in place by axels and spaced perfectly on studio in such a way that couldn't be achieved in real life so in real life when you display it there's going to be gaps in the ring itself?
I posted the instructions earlier today in:

THE DISCORD SERVER (join the Discord server y'all)

I'm reluctant to post them anywhere more "public" like a forum since it definitely feels like bad manners to do that to someone else's work. PM me if you'd like, though.

Yes, the ring is sturdy and holds its shape fine. It is geometrically within system. The clutch of the sides of it, where there's a 2 x 2 round plate and 2 x 2 round tile w/ hole in between the big round Technic elements, may be a bit weaker since they don't have a full "unit" of axle holding them, but the geometry of the ring itself is seamless.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
mandatory if you buy that set for sure

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
marvel big ol' tower officially revealed

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/the-5201-piece-lego-avengers-tower-76269-is-the-ultimate-mcu-set-and-even-comes-with-a-kevin-feige/

Some very cool new parts, at least, like 1 x 4 tr. black bricks (the new shade, not the older tr. brown)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Another instance of loving around with someone else's MOC! I've been playing a good deal of Cyberpunk 2077 lately, and there's a fantastic MOC by Jerry Builds Bricks that's been around since before the game ever came out of the Quadra Turbo-R V-Tech, something of a hero car from the pre-release footage.

I like it a ton of course, but you know me: I have to mess with everything. First, here's a reference image:

Now here's a slightly modified version of JBB's lovely model.

The obvious stuff is that I changed the yellow to metallic gold, re-shaped the nose, and completely re-did the interior, but there's a buncha minor stuff, too: I added mirrors, changed the wheels, re-colored the rear deck, and smoothed out the hood scoop. All credit to JBB! This was fun to mess with. Really cool original design, especially the sides and taillights (which I did not change at all).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
The whole set kind of sucks except for the Dragon Knight torso (and that fig really should have had the dope-rear end dragon helmet, too). Definitely the worst of the nostalgia bait classic theme tribute sets so far. It doesn't feel like a creative modern re-imagining, it feels like they were tasked to re-create the original and realized they just don't have the right pieces.

edit: The market stall is fine. The mini builds are cute, the color scheme is nice, and the angled roofs are a nice touch. Should look great in a winter buildings setup. Pretty good snowman and tree, too.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 13, 2023

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
It's a grill. A small one, for barbecuing. It has a red lid. It is made out of LEGO bricks

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

https://flickr.com/photos/bruceywan/7950784748/

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
cat dead, details later

Also, this will be a Christmas gift for a friend born from a conversation about subjects LEGO probably won't make a set about. It's the Twitch Streamer Selling Her Bath Water set!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I did not just lose a cat, I simply overestimated how many people have seen Re-Animator! Y'all are very much missing out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mB7iMd8L8Q

and for all my fellow dorks who watch a lot of youtube video essays, let the existence of this movie poster bring you new joy when you see this hbomberguy thumbnail:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Last day for the APOLLO MOTEL if anyone wanted to pursue it through the BrickLink MOC Pop-Up Store, by the way!

https://www.bricklink.com/v3/moc-pop-up-store/54/Apollo-Motel

Something to note: if you want, you can just buy the instructions by clearing everything out of the auto-generated carts it makes afterward. Or, you can hold off 'til I throw this bad boy on Rebrickable, which I will be doing shortly after the Pop-Up Store program ends, so please don't actually feel rushed and FOMO yourself into spending money that you otherwise wouldn't have. Don't be emotionally manipulated into actions you're not entirely comfortable with! Capitalism!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

HootTheOwl posted:

Is there a time limit on the pop-up?
I bought the Apollo motel instructions but haven't had the chance to download them yet and they're already sending out emails suggesting everything is over and delivered
Officially speaking, I'm hosting the instructions through the end of the year

Unofficially, imma just leave 'em up 'cause whatever, and you know you can always just hit me up directly for a copy if you ever need to!

Dogen posted:

Too thin plastic where the anti studs are on a pale color I think.
This is correct. Many lighter colored 2 x 1 and 2 x 2 curved slopes have this issue, but it seems worst on cool yellow and vibrant yellow. That said, cool yellow also has really poor color matching in general. I know it doesn't get talked about as much as dark red or lime green or whatever, but I imagine that's because LEGO doesn't often use a lot of it in one place. When you do, it's very noticeable. Here's the back of a guitar I built out of cool yellow. The vast majority of these pieces came from Pick-A-Brick Online in the same order, so it's not like this is a case of used vs new condition or older vs newer manufacture.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Borsche69 posted:

359 pieces for like 85 bucks is one of the worst loving things i've ever seen lol. i dont give a gently caress about minifigs anyway but the insanely sad magneto and a cyclops with no leg printing are just a sadness multiplier. i'm not trying to be mean towards anyone's purchasing decisions, i've bought dumber poo poo at worse prices, but goddamn does that suck
There's also at least a dozen stickers on that bad boy. I feel like at the 20c+ PPP threshold y'all can give us some prints. This thing has essentially no redeeming qualities if you're not heavily nostalgic for its subject matter.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Weird picks. Twilight makes sense if they're doing something new with the franchise I guess, but the botanical garden is just a larger but less interesting version of the Friends one. Easy pass unless they blow me away with the redesigns.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
cars are lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks pretty cool.
Oh, neat. Pricey (likely due to the sound brick) but I like the colors chosen a lot. That's gotta be a Chris McVeigh, right? It looks like it has the same moveable needle mechanism as his 70's Radio.

edit: jfc that model is 9 years old already