Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wtf lego thread? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'll be getting the plane and car, but the two set pieces don't interest me at all.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

It's super pretty but lol at 500 bucks

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cranes is the most logical answer, I guess, but they're not actually something you'd see like that.

Cool idea though, I might recreate something like that if I get around to it because that scenario was a daily occurrence for like half my life.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I build LEGO to deal with anxiety. So I'm kinda confused by all this. It's the only thing I've found that puts me in that mental state other than surfing. Surfing is clearly better but LEGO is a bit easier to do when you live far from the ocean.

E: and I deal with the anxiety of spending too much $ on LEGO by telling myself that I can always resell the stuff later to get my $$ back. Or most of it. Or even more in some cases.

Same except instead of surfing I ski and snowboard, but I live in the Netherlands and with the pandemic it's been a few years.

The summer is always rough for me with 6+ weeks of basically working 24/7 so afterwards I treat myself to a big set so I can unwind for a couple of days.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah that looks amazing

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Metoron posted:

Please stop moving the Lego thread without prior input from the posters, it doesn't matter how much any of the mods think "Oh the Lego thread will be fun in this forum", it has been previously asked to stop moving the thread because it puts weird expectations on the Lego thread regulars to adapt to a forum culture that they did not ask to be sent to.

I don't even dislike BYOB, I think they're alright people, it's just annoying that we have a mod doing the same thing that the thread asked not to happen again when it was previously sent to the financial forum.

Pretty sure it was an april fools thing and not a serious move and it'll be moved back soonish.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I like the new colors and I think the people complaining are being overly sensitive after the last move. Also, I can't wait until my nephew is old enough for me to build sets with him. When I ordered the 3-in-1 castle I bought a second because I wanted to have both the castle and an alternative, but then decided to leave the second in the box for when my nephew is old enough. Then I got some points to spend on lego on our equivalent of amazon and I bought the 3-in-1 pirate ship for him. They'll be sitting in a closet for a couple of years but in like 3 or 4 yours he's going to have the best birthday ever.

e: No pets, sorry, so here's a lego pet for the new page:

Taeke fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 2, 2023

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

treasure bear posted:

some times i like to take a block and just leave it on its own, thats the power of lego

Hey Riley

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Awesome

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Looks like it because in the picture the whole egg is also upside down.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Better get the Tallneck if you don't have it yet, even if you're not a Horizon fan.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Hey new person I haven't said this to yet, get the Tallneck while you still can.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Infinitum posted:

I actually keep meaning to build this, but I don't have anywhere to put it really :(

Yes you do.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I had two weddings back to back a couple of weeks ago. First were good friends and I gave them (along with some cash) the bonsai tree with a note along the effects of "a moment of zen after after the stress of planning a wedding. Second was my best friend and I gave them the flowers with a note saying "just like these flowers, your love will never wilt" or whatever.

Both were the perfect gift, even though none of them are lego people. It's original, will become a part of their decor so it has staying power, and in my case because I'm really open about lego being my hobby and having it all around my house and stuff it's also personal. Maybe especially for non lego people sets like that make an awesome gift because it's a novel way to spend time and leaves you with something fun and pretty to display.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Buy it and make the display space for it. It's downright statuesque.

Like even for my elderly aunts and uncles and stuff it's an eye catcher among the many sets I have displayed around the house.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Beasteh posted:

Question for you all

What set was the most fun for you to build and display? What did you feel gave you the most value and was worth the purchase?

Tallneck.

Also Pirates of Barracuda Bay, Carrousel and Treehouse but those, while worth it, were pricey.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I want more Horizon sets so loving bad

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

The few times they’ve done preorders in recent memory, you just need to sign up to the Lego Insiders program and be ready to order at the time it goes live because the three hamsters powering the servers with their hamster wheels will quickly get overwhelmed.

Yeah, I remember with the Tallneck I was an hour late on the first batch and it was sold out but managed to order on the second batch literally within two or three minutes of getting the email only for it to delayed a couple of times because I still wasn't fadt enough.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Prophet of Nixon posted:

2024 Creator 3-in-1 has some really nice looking things:
https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Creator/year-2024/filter-HasImage

Definitely interested in the Peacock and Giraffe, and Watering Can/Flowers/Butterflies set, and maybe some others.

The doggo polybag and dragon are super cute

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Wizard of Oz is well known in the Netherlands, for what it's worth.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

What no Drizzt?

It would've been a serious misplay to focus on Drizzt instead of doing more generic characters that can be mixed and matched so people can create their own thing.

I've been playing DnD off and on for two decades now and I never gave a poo poo about Drizzt or any of the famous DnD characters. I can't even name any others, lol, aside from some from the Baldur's Gate series.

With the spike of popularity during covid times I think that if they were to use existing characters it would've made more sense feature critical role and dimension 20, or the new movie, because that's what people are more familiar with now. I think most people in the market for DnD lego aren't all that familiar with Drizzt to be honest, because that's ancient history by now. A Nott the Brave or Caleb or Jester would do much better nowadays. But again, I think having generic characters people can project their own characters on is the right move.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The 3-in-1 creator sets. With a 5-10 minutes limit you can't go too big but they offer a good bang for your buck. There's some really cool ones like animals that would have a wide appeal. There's a really cute new dragon that's 10 euros that could be build in that timeframe.

Anything above 15 bucks is definitely going to take too long, I think.

The deep sea creatures (shark) is also a great choice.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The 3in1 Fantasy Forest Creatures is also a really cute build.

There's also a 3in1 Vintage Motorcycle that has some technic elements if you want to go another route.

If you do want to go a bit bigger there's the White Rabbit which is cool, but also I think that's more of a 20-30 minute build if you go fast, longer if you're inexperienced.

Brickheadz could also work if you know what they'd be interested in.

There's also a couple of smaller flower sets (like 2 roses, sunflowers or lotus flowers) that could work for your audience, but might also not be as interesting or much fun to build.

I think if you're wanting to spend $100 on 4 sets you'll end up with sets that will take much longer than the time frame you have in mind.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The DnD set arrived and boy, is it a big box. 30 something bags, I'm kinda intimidated. I think this is my biggest set so far, a title previously held by apocalypseburg which is only slightly smaller now that I checked.

I also got gifted a flower trellis set (which will be a gift for my mum) and the mimic which I built this afternoon. It's cute but it's also kinda annoying that it doesn't close all the way with the tongue sticking out.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Lmao wtf?

Like I already built it and I'm not strapped for cash but also it's not that impressive?

I mean it's pretty cool but it's a simple build amd with some color changes I think I could make a couple of others with 95% accuracy.

Getting a third or a quarter of the price of the dnd set back sure is tempting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

lmao the parents knew something like that was going to happen to they aimed a camera at it