Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

The Rage posted:

The X-Wing's release date was May 4th, so it was up for sale, not on sale.

And they look great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Torael_7 posted:

Sigh. The thing can't go on sale soon enough.

And I may have to buy up a few of those cockpits for my own use. I like interesting cockpits in my own creations...

It's pretty cool, it has a great side profile. Don't know why they didn't print it, and the stickers for it seem... stickier than normal Lego. It comes with doubles, which is good, because I hosed up applying the largest sticker first and you can't reapply once it gets stuck due to the clear part getting all cloudy, although I've seen people suggest using water to apply it. Which vaguely recalls to me a childhood memory of model airplane assembly...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Rage posted:

Plus I'm not sure how many children were waiting with their saved allowances just in case the B-Wing went on sale.

I kind of get the feeling maybe it wasn't selling all that well. I considered buying the set when it came out, AND I considered it when it went on sale for half price, but frankly I am just not all the enamored with it. So, yeah - I think people maybe buying an extra set was not unreasonable, but I'm kind of hoping that these sets are as unpopular so the people who bought 25 are doing lego a favor by clearing out stock that they were going to have trouble selling.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Rage posted:

Strangely enough, eBay is showing that even right now the people who bought out extras at half price are profitable. They're selling for around $150, which is still a deal for people who want the set, saving $50, and the people who bought them are making ~$30 after shipping and eBay fees. So it might not be a huge profit, but theres still some being made. And eventually once the set is truly discontinued, there'll be people freaking out that they didn't get one, and buy it for above original retail.

I guess the lesson is, no set is ever really a failure. Especially as smackfu points out... UCS star wars set at half price.

Although wasn't the UCS jedi starfighter a bit of a bust? I remember those were still available when I was getting back into lego and were super cheap.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The summer star wars sets were at my local Target yesterday, and they cleaned out the last attack of the wargs set that I wanted that had been on sale :mad:

So if you were looking forward to the AT-TE or gunship, they might be around. After getting the UCS X-Wing I think my SW lego appetite has been sated, especially considering those are new trilogy sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Picked up the BTTF set at the store for my wife while finally grabbing Arkham Breakout. It looks pretty cool! They didn't even have it on the shelf, the guy said they just got a few and were down to the last one when I asked about it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

My wife has some plan involving stopping Tom Riddle from becoming Voldemort brewing on her desk at work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

Holy poo poo guys I have an actual for serious no foolin' for realsies Back to the Future lego set sitting on my computer desk right this second. It seriously blows my mind that I just typed out the previous sentence. :monocle:

You guys are so behind the times, my wife's has been on so many adventures at work. I want to have her bring it home and bring back the "one does not simply ______ into mordor" meme in conjunction with the black gate but I haven't pieced together what minifigs should be involved.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Ah yeah, got Gordon from the bane vs batman DK set, one more reason to get the IM3 boat for the extra IM suit too!

Plus War Machine, which was basically the only reason I got that set although the boat turned out to be cool. Plus I like collecting my favorite actors in minifig form. Incidentally, is there a Russel Crowe out there besides Jor-El?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That plane of yours, President Kucinich, is awesome. Like what you did with the pistols there.

They do that with the British-looking monster hunter's car, as well. I think from the werewolf monster hunter's set. It is a cool little technique.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Magic posted:

I've hit a similar point myself. Funnily enough, ALSO having just built the Avengers escape set (which honestly just wasn't too great. I'm not a fan of those types).

It exists solely to sell the giant hulk figure.

I needed him to be riding around on the quinjet, so what can you do?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ka0 posted:

I think this is the best overall Supes set out at the moment, but does anyone have it? Should I get one?

Christopher Meloni minifig? What's not to like? Time for a Law & Order: SVU MOC

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They still have various monster fighters sets at my local target, tru, walmart etc, including those two

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Double VIP points would be a compelling reason to get something expensive this month.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I imagine he says "arrrrgh matey" in a very loud robo mechanical monotone

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well I got the Fierce Flyer to get a better roc for Gandalf and then realized you can build a giant squirrel out of it as well. So I guess I have to buy another one.

Edit: I guess it's a beaver? Also I got the Galaxy Squad Eradicator mech for Halloween and it is pretty badass. I haven't gotten many no licensed theme things since getting back into Lego and it is cool to see how much the designs have evolved, especially the weapons.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 1, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Arrrrrgh matey I'll be having all yer pirate mechs

Is what I'll say at the lego store when these come out before being thrown out by security

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Metalbeard mech is everything I have ever wanted in lego, or anything really. Also that cop car looks pretty cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

FingersMaloy posted:

In store gift with purchase/coupons at the register. I got a VIP email that said something was happening this weekend online, too.

The thing I saw this morning was triple points and free shipping and exclusive set.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lizard Combatant posted:

That'd be my pick. Still waiting for that UCS Slave 1 too.

Man that would be amazing. Also a Slave II of any variety would be cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

Bag End was a lot more dense than I was expecting, that's for sure. It's a cute little set, though, and my daughter love playing with it.

This is an across the board trend to have smaller but more dense and detailed models. It's really noticeable in Star Wars where they're on the third iteration of some vehicles. I think it's a good thing, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Well I now have all the galaxy squad sets. Thanks a lot whoever posted the Eradicator mech a while back. At leasts it seems like it isn't selling that well so they won't make any more.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

jeeves posted:

I do have to say, maybe it is just the lack of cool space themes lately (Star Wars is getting a bit tiresome, especially with the focus on Prequel poo poo), but Galaxy Squad has grown on me, especially the bug sets. I still feel it kind of has the same problem Alien Conquest had of the alien ships being way cooler than the human ones, but the Galaxy Squad ships look a bit more interesting than the Earth Defense Force.

The two orange squad sets and the green squad set are pretty rad. I like the ship part of the Titan, the tank seems a bit spare by itself tho. All the larger bug sets are cool.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Ka0 posted:

Galaxy squad rules and now I'm sad they probably won't make a red team speeder vehicle or somesuch. Goddamn star wars.

The one that comes with the crawler is a speeder that turns into a ... smaller speeder and a flying wing. It's kind of cool, especially when both parts are together, although then the robot has nowhere to sit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

They put out new Batman sets at the Lego store today. I only noticed because some Man-bat Attack sets were sitting on the counter, they hadn't shelved the rest of them yet and it was lunchtime. I was picking up Tower of Orthanc so I limited myself to Man-bat Attack, but I'd assume the other sets in the back of the manual came in as well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

FingersMaloy posted:

I picked up two Ninja Turtles sets last night. My first sets with flick missiles. They are cheap and look stupid and I hate that they are in every action theme. My 2006 Batmobile with the dart launcher is so much beter than the present Super Heroes Batmobile with flick missiles.

It looks like there's a new batmobile out with the new batman sets, I'm just looking at the picture in the back of the Man-bat Attacks manual (the new batcopter set) and I don't see any visible projectiles.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The best LotR set is clearly Helm's Deep + Uruk-Hai Arny

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Got this set because it was really cheap and secondly LOOK AT THAT BEAVER.

THATS WHAT I SAID WHEN I GOT IT but I thought it was a squirrel at first. The one I have is serving as a superior ride for Gandalf to the one that comes with black gate/orthanc, but I really want to grab another one to build that beaver.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Will it be the same basic build as the recent licensed pirate boats, I wonder? It'd be nice to see something different.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Metalbeard's Duel is amazing. I didn't know he had a sword until I looked at the box in person. It's the perfect fusion of my two favorite things, pirates and giant fighting robots. My wife also picked up the Cloud Cuckoo Castle and three minifigs, two of which ended up being pantsless guy :argh;

I really went to get the new batman riddler chase set, but they aren't getting more until Monday annoyingly.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It would be amazing, but I imagine the mindless Simpsons consuming horde is bigger than the Futurama one. Although they do still make some pretty good Futurama toys, I got my dad the robot devil kidrobot sculpture for Xmas.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did we know the next cuuso set was ghostbusters yet? Because it is.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Red posted:

Yep, but I don't think there was a concrete release date. Is there one?

Not that I know of, I just hadn't seen anything about it, but I guess it's old news.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Szymanski posted:

UK Amazon has low pices on Galaxy Squad. Interceptor is £10.99, Bug Obliterator is £20 (was £60) and the swarmer was £3.99 for a while.

The obliterator is a cool little set.

I have all the galaxy squad sets and am kinda sad it didn't seem to sell that well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Szymanski posted:

I had the Mech and the Titan, not really impressed with the Insectoid stuff. Really want the vermin vaporizer to drop in price.

I picked up the insectoid stuff for cheap on amazon and actually ended up liking it. I feel like the dual function of the mech was somewhat forced.

The vaporizer is also a decent set. They had all (almost all?) the GS sets on clearance an none on display when I was in my lego store earlier this month so I can't imagine they'll be around a lot longer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I saw it on vacation just now. It's been out in the Caribbean all week already I guess? Pretty solid.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Captain Magic posted:

Great movie. I really loved every second of it.

I hope there's a retool for Wyld Style's cycle somewhere to give it a jet mode.

This is pretty much what I thought for about 5 minutes after that part of the movie.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Plus you know the extras will be awesome.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Lego patent application! That is some mega nerd business right there (in a good way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I was curious how they would handle it as well, because that whole sequence would either be too long a cutscene or introduce some very weird gameplay. I think they handled it fine, I won't spoil it just in case.