Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

When I went to the PAB wall at the Brighton (England) Lego store, I was slightly disappointed because it was almost all bricks. Proper bricks like 2x4 blocks in various colours. None of the nice interesting little bits that I was hoping for. There were stairs, orange flames and stems/flowers, but nearly everything else was bricks, so I passed.

Also, a large cup was £11 ($16), so... uh, no.

At least you get a cup.

Legoland Windsor Lego Store does PAB ... by weight. You can be as clever as you like putting them in the box but it matters not one jot.
As a result I can honestly say I've never seen anyone using the PAB section in the last 2 times I have been.

In other news I went shopping yesterday:

I probably shouldn't be so happy about a box. But it was nice to find a decent condition box for my earliest LEGO.

Plus. Set 50. And I remember having it as a kid. How old does that make me feel? Especially when I glance over and see a recent set I bought which is over 10,000 in set number.
Still, I'm well chuffed. Now to sort all the orriginal pieces from this set and set about building some of the godawful, but cute, suggestions on the box.

I also picked up the Spanish Armada Flagship.
I can honestly say I had never seen it before, had no idea it existed but it is soooo pretty. I'm looking forward to building it later.

(image hosting my own)

toochilled fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Just a note for anyone in the UK that The Mirror is giving away free Lego sets all this week.

I think it is all Toy Story 3 too.
Today's was a Buzz figure and a little space ship. Not bad at all for the price, even if the paper itself is poo poo.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Lord Commissar posted:

gently caress.

Where the hell am I going to put this?

No idea here either.
I have to get it though. Best set I have seen for aaaages.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
I finally found some S3 in the UK today in Argos.
Also they had a poster for them at Smiths, but no figures.

I picked 15 at semi-random.
I don't know if it is just this box but on about half you couldn't see the identifier bumps at all and they were very, very faint on the rest.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
The free sets in the Sun are great.
Yesterday's had a ninja and SEVEN swords.

That means for £2 I got 8 Ninja's and 56 Swords.
Today's skelletons have no chance.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes, nothing more likely to make you totally self-conscious than being a fully grown adult male, fervently manhandling Lego packages and neatly sorting them into piles, while soccer moms stroll past with their kids in search of the Nerf or Barbie section to get a gift for a youngsters party.

Chance of weird looks 100%

Not that it stops me of course.

I found an easy solution to this, if you have the money.
Just buy loads of them then feel them up at home.

Open and keep your 16 and the rest put in a bag in a box under a bed. Then when you find yourself short of money sell them on eBay.

I know this sounds scalperish.. but I've been unemployed for the last 3 months (have just got a new job though, hurrah!) and my rent for one of those 3 months was paid for by selling S1 and S2 spares I had on eBay.
Odd as it sounds to say investing in LEGO seems to give a lot more return then any bank at the moment.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

einTier posted:

Wow. Someone actually bought that thing.

I'm actually considering buying up the line.
It's like LEGO Torchwood. It is awful, but stupidly fun.

Plus they do look a lot (well, a bit) better in person then in pictures.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Is season 6 of the Minifigs still going to be the last they do? Or have the sales massively above expectations changed the plans?

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
Nice one.
I've yet to see any series 5, although the local Tesco was nice enough to tell me they had them but would only put them out once the rest of their series 4 had sold.
Sadly since they still have a box and a half out, and it seems no one locally is buying them I may have to wait a while.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

satanicmantis posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard - surely they realise if no one wants the old ones, and people want the new ones, you bring them out and put them on sale? Can't believe you're trying to spend money and they're not allowing you. I work in a Tesco store and would bring them out for anyone who asked (after having felt them all up during my lunch break and buying all the best ones, obviously).

I can only agree!
Any chance you can get a transfer to Streatham Tesco?

I popped to Croydon at the weekend and got a bundle anyway. Managed to get most of what I wanted, except the 2 I want most (Gladiator and Gorn).
Also got the pack of the 11 Doctor "not LEGO" Minifigs which I must admit are very cool, although I would still prefer LEGO to licence it propper.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
I grabbed 5 more blind today.

I now have 3 Dwarfs!
I guess they will help replace the Dwarf battle set I'm currently selling on eBay!

Also found the Harry potter Quidich set on Sale for £5, so I got 3 of them.
Not bad for a set with 5 minifigs.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I got my Pudsy Bear today, it's the cutest goddamn thing.

I picked up a few of these the other day, 99p in ASDA!, and can confirm it is one of the cutest sets ever. My wife has already spirited one away for her desk at work. Good piece count in that nice yellow too.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

I have an extra few DJs and another bat guy. I'll see what else. I'd like some Romans and a evil pirate, actor and bavarian kid. Are you in the states?

I'd sort you out if you were in the UK, but shipping costs might make it uneconomical as it is.
Minifigs though. I have all the series so far, plus 138 duplicates to sell in future. I'm not sure if I should be annoyed at the money I spent, or happy that they wil be worth more in the future.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

hxcorpse posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, or disappointed, if they put out a Wild Wild West theme complete with robot spiders and Will Smith.

I would buy the hell out of that.
It is, unashamedly, one of my favourite ever (bad) films.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

Based on the small sample size I got today, S10 is 100% mechanics. Interesting.

Count yourself lucky.
I bought 10 and got 5 Skydivers....

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Merchant of Death posted:

I pulled out some 20+ year old figures I have and compared them to CMF 10 and some from LOTR. The plastic doesn't feel close to the same quality as the ones that they are putting in sets now. Comparing bricks, yellow bricks seem to be the worst offender they are noticeably different in the way the plastic feels.

I know.
It amazes me that the early series minifgis I am putting on eBay (spares that I haven't bothered to sell till now) are going for silly money but classic spacemen seem to go for dirt cheap.
Don't get me wrong, I like the minifig series and have them all, but a choice between those or the more 'classic' figures and I'll take my spaceman army anyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
I've been assuming it will be the wave after the movie series, but can't say for sure. I'm sure someone here will know. Also, hopefully...

I don't suppose there will also be a Winter Olympics series like there was for the London Summer Olympics? That would be great if there was.