Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Heh, yeah. I think adult LEGO builders tend to forget how gingerly we handle our LEGO creations, and how rough a child can be on them. I had an old collection of LEGO that I fused into a big solid cube just to reduce it's storage space. I let my 2 year old niece play with last month and she managed to break it into multiple chunks in less than ten seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Revener posted:

Could you explain this?

Because the UCS Falcon can fetch up to $3000, and if Lego rereleased it then they wouldn't be worth any more than the new set would be. Hopefully some people won't notice the date and we'll get some good crazy posts out of it.

EDIT: HAH! I just noticed they even mention their Lego contact is Louis Friend.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 1, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Revener posted:

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to build it piecemeal? Or is the value entirely from being ~NiB~?

Yeah, the price is pretty much rarity at this point. And likely it would be cheaper to build piecemeal, but I'm guessing there a lot of parts that are unique to that set.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sean OFarrell posted:

Alright so this took me a few days longer to build/rebuild than I first anticipated but here's my Lego all nice and pretty

E: does anyone have the Kings Castle from Kingdoms and might be willing to sell it?

Is this a standard set, or a MOC?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I certainly hope it's better, as the first Lego Batman game was easily one of the worst Lego games (although Indiana Jones was pretty drat bad too).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, that can be a bit frustrating for sure. Still, I enjoyed the original series Star Wars ones, and the recent Harry Potter ones were pretty good. I didn't play the PoTC one, but it seemed decent in the QL that Giant Bomb did.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Man, speaking of stickers, not only are they a pain the rear end to put on, now I'm finding they don't even stick well. It's only been a month or so on some sets, but the stickers that are on curved surfaces are starting to detach from the underlying pieces.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

fosborb posted:

Harry Potter 5-7 is so bad I'm honestly hesitant about a new Batman.

Collision detection is loving awful. We've had to restart a level multiple times because a character with skills we need is stuck in a wall or under stairs or some bullshit.

Worse, it freezes consistently with two players UNLESS 1) you stick right next to each other, 2) turn the audio to mono, and 3) put out fires slowly. This is actually the official fix from the publisher.

It's so bad you still see rumors of recalls floating around on message boards.

drat, really? I played Potter Years 1-4, and that was great. I wonder why things went south with the sequel.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Saint Sputnik posted:

For shits and giggles I'm taking this fan survey Lego put out but it's just taken a strange turn

Eventually it's going to start asking you questions about whether you'd ask your Lego friends for help to extricate a lego brick from your butt.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

beato posted:

The BTTF Delorean just got 10k votes on cuusoo!
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96

And will never be made.

Almost nothing on Cuusoo with a license attached will ever get made. It costs way, way too much for a license for a one off product, let alone a small handfull of them. They were lucky to get Minecraft, and probably couldn't have afforded to get it for just one product release in a couple more years if Notch and crew turn into a high-ranking studio.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's like ancient Japan come to life.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Brown. That's why it's known as the Turd Rustler.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Almost looks like something from Samurai Pizza Cats.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lizard Combatant posted:

They kind of seem like the sort of thing you only receive as a gift from someone who knows you like Lego but wants to be infuriatingly quaint and give you something "different".

We could make a knock off of LEGO and call it LARGO, and we'd make bank with the confused grandmother market.

I think I had the prototypical confused gift-buying grandmother that all others were based off of. Virtually every present I got from her as a child was some cheap knock-off she thought was the legit thing.

"Hey grandson, I got you a Nuhtenno games!"
"... but this is a Super Megason IV.... I wanted a Nintendo."
"That's what that is, a Nuhtenno machine."
".... thanks.... I guess."

"Hey grandson, I got you some Legos."
"These are Mega-Bloks, grandma."
"Yeah, just what you asked for, Lego-Bloks."
"No, these are Mega-Bloks, they're different."
"I'm pretty sure those are the right ones. Mega-Legos is what you asked for."

The one time this happened with my parents was when I went from grade-school to high-school. They said I could have a gift, and I could choose something more expensive than usual. I really wanted this expensive Star Wars art book (hey, shut-up, Ralph McQuarrie owns) I had been eyeing for a while. My birthday comes, I open the gift, and....... Shadows of The Empire strategy guide? My moms response was "But it's Star Wars, they're all the same thing, right?". My little 8th grade brain was confused and disappointed.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 20, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ika posted:

I'm thinking about getting the imperial shutttle next time I am in the US, is there any chance I can talk someone at the lego store to giving me a discount to bring it closer to the may the fourth sales price or are employees not allowed to give discounts?

No employees are allowed to give discounts at any business in north america, not even the manager 99% of the time. Most business have realized people are going to buy their stuff no matter what, so there's no point trying to build relationships and loyalty with a customer via discounts since it won't matter to the business either way.

I think just about the only thing people haggle over these days is the price of vehicles and homes/property. Anything else and it's the stores way or the highway.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I don't know, I can't really fault Lego for going with a girls line. Their stuff was mostly gender-neutral for decades, and it was still a toy predominently chosen by boys. It's not like girls were scared off because the minifigs skewed male. They gave it their best and girls as a whole were not all that interested. There's only so much can you do without forcing the toys into someones unwilling hand. At least with a girls line then some girls will be more interested in Lego, and as they get older they'll be exposed to more of the main Lego lines and be all that more receptive to Lego in any shape or form. Hopefully that'll lead to a trickle-down effect with their eventual kids and eventually both sexes will be equally enthralled with Lego.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Those videos posted earlier gave the picture of LEGO deliberately switching tactics and marketing heavy towards boys though. Not saying you're lying or anything, I'd just like some source either way; LEGO being forced by a changing market or changing the market themselves. What about Paradisa? That line ran for a while iirc (and since it was a sub-theme of town, with normal minifigs, they had proper access to emergency services :colbert:)

No, you're right. Starting around the time the first Space, Western, and Castle themes started to emerge, Lego started skewing heavily toward boys. At that point you couldn't blame them, as boys were the largest market share of buyers of their product. It's callous, but when 95% of your audience is boys, big business isn't going to bother with girls. It got even worse when stuff like Star Wars became their hottest line, as there girls were completely forgotten by then.

Prior to all this though, Lego was very gender neutral though, which were the decades I was mentioning. Sets were very generic and the themes didn't really skew male or female. Apart from most minifigs being men, there was no real gender assigned to Lego. It just never caught on with girls like it did boys though, and as time went on, Lego saw the writing on the wall and started focusing their efforts mostly on boys.

As you say, they've had other girl-friendly lines like Paradisa, but they were all pretty poorly though out, poorly styled, and just plain boring to play with. Lego Friends is probably the first set for girls that has actually had a lot of effort put into it and and a good marketing campaign. Hell, ask any women over 25 if they even knew Lego had other sets for girls in previous years and I'm sure most will have never heard of them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

einTier posted:

Think of it as an investment.

My Lego is definitely an investment for me. I get to have fun with it now, and in a few years I'm going to gift it all to my niece when she's old enough. I have another niece/nephew on the way as well, so she can share it with them when they're old enough too. None of this Friends stuff for her either, she'll be getting Blockade Runners, Modular Buildings, Cars, Trucks, X-Wings, Pirate Ships, Haunted Houses, the works!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FreakyZoid posted:

And the pair of adult legs shoved in the fireplace.

They're 1x2 bricks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Any video game fans should check out Lego Batman 2. It's tons of fun, has on open world along with traditional levels, and it uses the score from Tim Burtons Batman films. Kids and AFOLs should love it!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jusupov posted:

I have the first batman and it was strange, could never really figure out anything in it. Played through the other lego games to 100% though. How does batman 2 compare to the other games? Last Lego game I played was the pirates one and it is atrocious with the insane loading times.

It's definitely more like the more modern Lego titles. Things are a bit more straightforward, but still with loads of item collecting and switching characters. The first Batman was a bit of a letdown, but this one is really amazing. Definitely one of the best Lego games so far.

Love the new talking characters as well. It's nice to have a bit more of a story now than simply characters mugging for the camera.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Umbra Dubium posted:

Wouldn't that practically guarantee that not all of the people who voted for it on Cuusoo would be able to buy it?

They were probably just hedging their bets because not everyone who voted will buy. Kind of like Kickstarter where once an item reaches it's goal, a lot of the bigger donations start being retracted.

It wouldn't do Lego any good to do a 100,000 run of the Minecraft set, then only sell a third of them. Better to do a small run first and gauge actual interest.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sapphaholic posted:

I wonder what happens when the parents take their kids to a waterpark. Do they ask all the ladies in bikinis to leave?

No, just the ones that still think it's 1980 and have a crotch beard poking out at the seams.

I wish I was kidding. I worked at water park for a summer, and literally every day we got complaints about "that lady over there has pubes showing". Sometimes guys in speedos too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MaliciousOnion posted:

Kick the complainers out for looking at women's crotches.

They'd lose to much money. I think looking at crotches and boobs is 80% of the reason anyone over the age of 14 goes to waterparks.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The_Doctor posted:

But surely any unsold sets could just be opened up and the bricks redistributed? I can't imagine Lego ever making a huge loss on their sets.

Yes and no. Sure, the bricks could be redistributed, but I doubt Lego has an automated system in place for taking already packaged product and then parting it out again. Not to mention the expense in creating those unsold boxes, plastic bags, instruction books, etc.

At this point Cuusoo is still and experiment, and I'm sure Lego doesn't want to dive into it completely until they see how well things sell.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zeether posted:

So Legoland Florida added a water park. With a lazy river that has inner tubes with special Lego baseplates and bricks to build stuff on them. The bricks float along the river in large tubs.

Lego has managed to one-up Rapids Water Park here.

How do the Lego pieces not get loose and then into the pool filtration and all that? Sounds like a trouble just waiting to happen.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Def int.

Word.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

InfinEight posted:

I can only imagine the creator learning what a hymen is, and then tearing his creation apart in a fit of accidental symbolism.

Oh man, where did all these red bricks come from? They weren't here before.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

djfooboo posted:

What is up with people on Flickr having "don't allow downloads" on their LEGO creations? Do they really think that is stopping me from downloading their stuff? If they are so protective of their work, why release it on the Internet at all?

They get their image copyright legal advice from Donna Barstow.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

I know the image in the back says it's a preliminary image, but it's weird they had the Sarlacc made out of blue translucent pieces.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got back with the new Recycling Truck and Big Rig Tow-Truck. Going to put on a Giant Bomb podcast, get some Barqs and Cool Ranch Doritos, and just geek out for a couple of hours.

This is gonna be so good, I might need a cigarette after.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got finished with the Big Rig Tow-Truck, and that was a really fun build. Ranks up there with the VW Van. There is some seriously clever design in it too, what with the gearing for the wheels and the system for how they attached the sliding bed on the truck.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool in execution, but if only it was a different ship. The Serenity is one of the ugliest ship designs ever.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've had turds that were better designed than the Serenity.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Lizard Combatant posted:

It must take practice being this wrong.

Says the man who hasn't seen my turds.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Hah, somebody sure takes their sci-fi a little too seriously.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was speaking from a design point of view. I mean, I think the show is terrible too (much like everything Whedon touches), but I was just speaking purely of the ship.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

mirthdefect posted:

Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hnHPCMOY4

I'm not too sure how I feel about them using the voices rather than the weird sound effects that they've had in the previous games, but I will still play the hell out of it.

They already had voices in Lego Batman 2, and it was so much better than the gibberish talk from previous games. They could actually have a unique story for once instead of pantomiming a preexisting movie or tv show.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Holy crapdoodles, my mom bought me the Haunted Mansion for my birthday! I've never even mentioned it to her either. She said that the last time she came over, she noticed my Lego stuff and the few modular buildings I had. After that, she drove 3 cities over to the nearest Lego store and looked for something similar.

Best.Mom.Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ChesterJT posted:

Seriously. She looking to adopt?

Hell, you never know. I used to get really great care packages from her (like, she sent me a DVD player once) when I lived on the other side of the country. Some of my friends heard about it and we're all "Man, I wish I could get that stuff.". She then met some of them when she came to visit one summer, and after that she started sending them some kick-rear end care packages.

Aren't moms great!