Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I am almost 50 and have rediscovered my love for Lego. My hands shake to the point that I can't paint traditional models and building these really helps calm my anxiety and PTSD. Plus it's cheaper than golf. For now.

My question is, is there a way to get a heads up about when sold out models will be back in stock? Specifically the new MacLaren formula car.

I just jumped to the end of this thread, looking forward to working my way back. Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm pretty sure the website has an option to notify you when they are in stock.

I can't get that to work. I have tried on 3 different platforms. I know that things like double points get leaked out, didn't know if inventory was similar

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Thank you, this is perfect.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Did some more work on my Tumbler today. This is a table that isn't used here, and that chair is never pulled out. I left to get a bottle of water in the next room and came back to this.

I really want to share this with a statement of how you don't have to wait until December to feel the Christmas spirit but I don't know if any of my friends and family are as juvenile as I am

Man gently caress those back wheels. This is only my third set as an adult, the other two were Technics and this one step with the back tires can suck my rear end

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The_Doctor posted:

The foreman came by to inspect your work, I see. Excellent.

She swung by during my previous build to let me know where I screwed up

Sorry its blurry, she was quite animated about it

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
How common is it for a set to be missing a piece? I'm on my third one and was surprised that I had some left over for the first two, and for the first part of this one. But here I am on step 7 of 11 and I'm missing a small piece. Should I open the next bag to check or is it just a thing where I have to order it?

:smith:

fake edit: this was factory sealed

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have a cardboard box lid I use to separate the pieces for whichever bag number that I'm on. I don't have that many pieces left so I know it isn't being obscured and I'm pretty sure it didn't fall out :( It is a very small piece but it is very noticeable if it wasn't there.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The fastest and easiest solution is to call up Lego customer service because as soon as you hang up you will find the missing piece.

This one had me :)

I have already contact customer support and they are sending me a new piece. I figured it would be easy, I was just wondering how common this was overall. I appreciate everyone's input here for the new old guy

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I did the Senna as my first kit back into this since I was a kid and am working on the Tumbler now. I think the Senna is a fantastic experience. After day one my wife got home and asked what was wrong. I told her that only 6 of the cylinders were firing and she was astonished to see that yeah, you can see the pistons moving.

The Tumbler is great (not 100% done yet) but to me it isn't as much "fun" as the Technics that I've done. I was excited that there were very few stickers to attach, as my hands shake terribly. But then I was disappointed that all of the stickers are inside the car and you can't see them anyway.

I enjoyed the Ferrari 488 as well. For $50 (or $40 on Amazon if you can find it) the Senna is definitely a great choice.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

What are you, chicken?

I want you to know that this made my whole day

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bird with big dick posted:

I got my childhood lego out of my moms basement and was surprised to find there was a single set of instructions, I figured there weren't any that survived.

I had two or three of those moon plates to go with my Blue (I think) Lunar Lander kit when I was a kid. I donated my suitcase of Lego to a good friend's kids a few years ago and I'm glad they went to a good home even though I had no idea I would get back into this. That set must have come out 40 years ago. Yikes.

omg chael crash posted:

New Lego Star Wars game is a lot of fun

Agreed! I wish you could play co-op online. I seriously don't understand what is keeping them from doing that. Wife and I had a good time playing last night but it would be better if we didn't have to Split Screen :(

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Before I go too hogwild I was wondering if it is worth it to go through the trouble of designing something on stud.io and then ordering the parts or in the end if it is just going to be way too expensive.

But then again there are people here that are going to drop $160 on a 195 piece kitchen, so I guess "expensive" is relative :) I need something to drop some money on for my birthday this summer and my project might be that thing.

xzzy posted:

I'm just over here waiting for last month's big ticket item to become available again. Stock will show up eventually bug ugggh the wait.

Same. For me it is the Formula Car in the Gulf livery

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

No R2 mount?

This is a family establishment

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
In news that no one cares about but me, I just finished my Tumbler kit. It was a really cool exercise in seeing how things get put together at angles. A lot of the details of it get lost since it is all black, until you look closely. It's my favorite Batmobile and my third kit as an Adult.

Until the McLaren F1 comes back in stock I will be focusing on a project I'm doing in Studio that I can hopefully complete and be able to order as a gift to myself for my 50th birthday this summer. I'm terrified at how much it will cost, but I think in the end it will be pretty cool. Fingers crossed.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

New Wave Jose posted:

Where do you guys look at the upcoming sets?

Crystal Ball Technic set 45589

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I don't know what you guys are talking about, the Tumbler is the exact correct size for the mini figs that came with it

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Is there anyone here with PMs or would exchange emails that had experience making studio projects into real things? I have a decent amount of time into a project and before I do too much more I would like to touch base with someone that can shed some light on tips. Thanks in advance.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Cojawfee posted:

That's a wifi router

That's no router...

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

RatHat posted:

I hope they put the heaviest sets on the bottom

You'd hate to spend the money and then have it fall to the bottom and end up all in pieces

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

bird with big dick posted:

My May 1st orders finally arrived. These keychains are pretty nice, are they real Beskar?

Yes

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I don't want to turn this into the typical Goon Derail about SNL but they did a pretty funny digital short this week that had my wife laughing a little too hard. And today she brought it up again. It should cue up to the right moment but if not, FF to about 1:56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhGTtWsW9F8&t=116s

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Had knee surgery yesterday, just woke up to an email from Lego saying the McLaren Formula 1 Technic set if back in stock. I've looked every day since April, I'm so happy. Plus I will be getting both gift with purchase items, so this almost takes away the physical pain I am having! :)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

They had a McLaren behind the counter at my store yesterday, I assumed on hold, and I asked about it and they were like “please buy it, we don’t have shelf space for it.” So I did.

Lol meanwhile I couldn't find any. Including my local store.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BaconCopter posted:

It looks like the LEGO Technic Ferrari Daytona SP3 set is popping up in a few Youtuber's feeds. The boxing of the set is drat slick, rather impressive and upscale for Lego.

It looks pretty spot on to me and the paddle shifter gearbox seems exceptionally neat. Solid win for all of you Technic heads.

OMG that looks so much better than the other Technic Ferrari

edit: Holy gently caress, that price tag

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 24, 2022

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
My hands shake from age and substance abuse when I was younger and anxiety when I was still this age. Painting models is out of the question, which is why I enjoy Lego so much now. Kinda wish I had picked two different kits to start with though (the McLaren was first)

Even with everything working against me, the only crooked sticker is on the front of the McLaren, under the nose so you can barely tell. There was one sticker on the back of the Ferrari that didn't make it on, but it is very thin and completely unnoticeable.

It feels like I picked the entirely wrong kits and it still turned out well, despite my best efforts.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

GlenMR posted:

Starting with Technic is unquestionably bold, but like your said, they look great! If fine motor skills are an issue, I'd probably avoid the Architecture line, but you've got plenty of options.

Way ahead of you about the architecture line, but not because of my hands lol. I'm going to stick to cars. I'm going to stick to cars. I'M GOING TO STICK TO CARS

sorry, I have to keep repeating it

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Pyroclastic posted:

I learned today that Van Gogh is my mom's favorite painter, and Starry Night is her favorite painting.

Shame we're past Mother's Day and I'm still months out for her birthday...maybe a retirement gift?

Maybe just a nice gift out of nowhere? I think people like those too :)

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Folks in a thread about spending a lot of money on plastic bricks for children not able to understand sneaker culture has made my morning complete :)

Nike.com allows you to customize a whole bunch of different models of shoes, and they cost the same as in the store. Plus free shipping and returns. I've used it a few times with great results, and have gotten a lot of comments from sneakerheads in the Wild. But yeah, that whole scene is loving crazy go nuts.

Sitting on the fence about the Technic Ferrari. I was surprised it was still available this morning, and by the time I get around to justifying it, it will be sold out I'm sure :(

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

The_Doctor posted:

Shoes get bought up by sneaker heads using bots, so anybody trying to physically buy them online is going to be SOL. I remember trying to get the Adidas Miles Morales shows for my partner for Christmas, and the site just blinked and they were sold out. Literally the whole stock was gone in less than ten seconds.

Oh I get that. It's the same with a lot of other consumer goods as well (PS5, etc). Even though I'm not into that scene, I understand the basis behind the hype and the FOMO.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Putting together the McLaren F1 and the front suspension is amazing. It is really cool to see how it all comes together and really appreciate not just the engineering in the actual car, but how they make it happen with plastic bits and bobs. I'm not an F1 fan, but I love that livery. It's beautiful so far. And long. Holy crap is it long. Which is also the title of my sex tape.

And I just ordered the new Ferrari. May God have mercy on my bank account.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
All of my orders show up destroyed, nothing but pieces. Luckily they're all in bags in the box, and the box is fine.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
VIP points show up once the order leaves the factory right?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Need a little advice. I'm working on my first project in stud.io and I was hoping to hear what I could do to increase my chances of getting the bricks I need. For instance, would I be better off with 2 2x4 bricks instead of 1 2x8 if all things are considered equal in that it doesn't affect the overall structure?

I'm still a long way off from actually trying to see if I can order and build it, but I'm in a good spot to make those changes going forward. Thanks.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

HootTheOwl posted:

There's an option in the color picker to exclude colors that don't exist, and there's also a (not very accurate) number of dollar signs to suggest price.
if you upload it to your bricklink account, it'll actually give you the option to pull all the bricks for you. (You can edit the cart itself, but there's no way to tell it you don't want foreign sellers, for example. I usually get the premade carts and then try to combine them into fewer packages)

Thank you

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

refleks posted:

I just built the McLaren Senna technic (42123) to prepare for the F1 McLaren (42141).

Been a while since I built anything technic so I was kinda worried I would miss a pin somewhere in the beginning and bite me at the end, but it was fine - has a little wheel on top to turn the front-wheels, and a little engine with cylinders popping up.

I did however have to spend an unconformable amount of force to get a lot of these single bush modules (6282140 - https://brickset.com/parts/6282140/single-bush-2-module-dia-4-9) into any kind of beam or other hole.

I don't know I'm just rusty or if there was some issue. Seemed like the edges on the actual pin of it were too wide for the holes.

I posted this a couple of days ago but I'm working on the F1 now and the front suspension is crazy. I also had to go back 20 pages of instructions because I screwed up a step. It had to do with the springs up front.

I'm also having issues with that piece.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I ordered the Ferrari Boxer last week, it is arriving today via FedEx

I ordered the Mopar two car set on Tuesday and it is coming via lasership.

I find this interesting trying to decide if it is a function of which warehouse it is being sent from or a package size thing, which is bullshit because you said size didn't matter and that it was a "good" size for you, Brenda.

Sorry about that, really got away from me. Anyway just interesting to me.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Almost done with my 4th set. Sets 1 and 2, no problem. Set 3 was missing a piece and now set 4 is missing a piece. I know that poo poo happens but I would have thought that this problem was rarer than this.

Worst part is that I'm trying to finish this F1 before I open the Boxer that arrived today. I also realize that this is a pretty high class problem.

This loving guy is ruining my day, 13 pages from the end:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Habibi posted:

99% of the time, a "missing" piece has simply gotten caught inside one of the bags, or in a corner of a sorting bin, or something. I've sworn up and down on a dozen occasions that a piece was missing...only to find it after retrieving a part bag out of the recycling bin, or buried in the rug next to my work area, or on me, and so on. To date, have never actually had a truly missing piece.

I'm pretty sure the first one was on me but I was very careful about the parts bags for this build and have put my finger on each piece left to make sure I wasn't missing it. I have looked everywhere it could be, and searched through my "extra pieces" from my other kits and it just isn't here. While I can't say with certainty that it isn't my fault, I can't say that it is either because I have been very careful :(

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Lego’s quality control is really good when you consider the vast amounts of tiny little bits that end up just fine in millions of boxes. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the huge production bump in the amount of high piece-count sets they’re releasing now has had a negative effect on quality control.

I said what I said out of anger, I'm better now :) I totally understand that poo poo happens and I'm very grateful that they offer the replacement in these cases. I mean, it's not like I'm going to send it back out of anger lol.

If something is wrong with the Boxer, that's a different story. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Fuckin nerd