Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
even if you say specific piece it still counts because every single galidor piece is an affront to the lego gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this has always been one of my favorite MOCs, alien or no

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

I have just completed an update/rebuild of an old MOC, my hotel/saloon!

As compared to the 2010 version:

I had 2 main goals here:
1) I wanted to make it more stable, since the old one was pretty flimsy.
2) I wanted to make it fully enclosed, but still easy to access the interior. The original was just open on the back, classic LEGO / dollhouse style.

I ended up changing and updating a ton of stuff, though. Enjoy! Hopefully!

The roof and upper floor remove for easy access, like a modular building:

But I also made it so the rear walls slide right out, too! They come out as one solid piece each:

Details:

Some before & after comparisons:

this is all incredible and that water pump build is blowing my mind

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

Plus, their case had no Ron Weasleys at all:
good

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the real secret tech with Detolfs is turning them sideways and removing the interior glass shelves.

for legos that'll allow quite a bit of uninterrupted display space.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

deoju posted:

For displaying minifigs I've got some of these...
https://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html
The listed price is kind of high, but Michaels has coupons and sales all the time.
Each shelf is 37x8 studs wide. Modifying them to open on the other side was as easy as removing the wall mounts and installing them upside down.
Keep an eye on these for sales, I've definitely seen them drop to $25 each before(that's when I picked mine up).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Heh, that's cute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Lmaooooooo the comments are solid gold

CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG WAS THE CLEAR WINNER!!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man I hope that sonic set makes it, if they just make it like the submitted one it'd be a perfect affordable ideas set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oscar the grouch is now a dwarf living in a bathroom wastebin instead of a full trash can, apparently

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no Count minifig, no sale

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is santa a cop

he's the symbol of the surveillance state so I guess so

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sloppy posted:

I'm looking to refine my collection sorting, anyone have a particular bin system they really like?
I have a ton of these. I got them while they were on sale(the big ones were like 10 bucks a pop) so I guess keep an eye out for a sale if you like them, they're extremely sturdy and great for storage bins.

Small(I use these for minifig accessories and other very small pieces that I don't have a ton of)
Medium(good for general parts that you don't have a lot of)
Large(good for bulk and large pieces)
and use like, a big tupperware bin for huge parts like wings and baseplates and such.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah I want to say it's from like, late 60's/early 70's sets.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sloppy posted:

The best one was LEGOS MEGATHREAD, such a good troll.
the mod should occasionally add and remove the S to the end of LEGO in the thread title at random. don't give in to the cowards who want it to be Lego Building Blocks. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PriorMarcus posted:

New UCS Ecto One has leaked.

Same scale as the 89 Batmobile. $200, out on Monday supposedly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHAMmSQJ127/?igshid=8cde42i4txy3
holy poo poo that is gorgeous.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Megabloks might be decent now but they were rancid trash for untold years. I got quite a few megabloks sets from my aunt and they all degraded and warped over the years while my legos from the same time are still totally usable. Some, like the pink tube of megabloks my sister got when we were little, we're literally falling apart along with the canister they came in when we found them again, a sickly yellow and cracked all over. The tube itself disintegrated to the touch.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OSU_Matthew posted:

As far as disintegration goes, would that tube have been sitting in the sunlight or attic for a long time? UV or temperature extremes would break down most any plastic.
I remember when we dug up the area where the sandbox in the back yard was when I was little, we found scratched to poo poo but ultimately still usable legos in there. I really, really, really doubt you could say the same about megabloks.

Whether this is necessarily a good thing or not, however, is definitely up for debate. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

being a huge nerd about scale, it's been one of the hardest things about Lego for me. The UCS Starfighters not being to scale with each other drives me loving crazy lol.
you've never gotten into transformers have you, hopefully

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

veni veni veni posted:

Well, I only ordered one but I guess I’ll take a whole case thanks Amazon

https://imgur.com/a/ljOVUfZ
I had this happen once, the order got duplicated and they sent me 3 of a one-per-person item, and then weeks later the charge showed up, so I guess keep an eye out for that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good idea to include gifs of the mechanisms. Hopefully it does well!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Darth TNT posted:

Right. Cops never do anything good. They are all universally terrible. The world would be a better place without cops.
In addition, inspiring kids to be good cops some day is also horrible. And let’s not forget, Lego is a US company so it really should know better. Because the US is the whole world.
gently caress right off out of the lego thread with this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
insert mention of that article about how lego cities must be 90% police stations and prisons here

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

Can we please stop with this bullshit already in the lego thread before a mod has to remind you AGAIN. Just wanna talk about bricks man.
Police are inherently political especially now. Toys that play up the friendly, saccharine movie persona of small town cops are a problem. Lego has had a long, weird history of police sets, disproportionate to all the other town sets. Was that "removal in solidarity" thing by lego with all the cop sets a hoax or did it actually happen, I forget. If it's real, it's especially hosed in respect to them putting this out a few months later. They could easily have repurposed the parts for a different build like the above mentioned library instead of another police station in response to what happened over the summer.

Make a food bank set, a community center set, an arcade, a clothing shop, a fire department, something like that. Not this Pleasantville rendition of a cop hq.

To stifle discussion about why folks might have a problem with this sets existence really sucks

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 28, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Lego is not an American company.

"Police" doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, even within the same country.

This set was conceived and designed before the George Floyd protests- this modular police station is not a response to these by Lego saying "we stand with cops" :patriot: , or worse, "all lives matter" :downs:

It's also extremely US-centric to think this set (that again, was planned in advance) should have been pulled solely due to events in America- I guess the whole rest of the world doesn't get a modular because the entire nation of America poo poo the bed? As someone who doesn't live there, I say no thanks, but there are some to whom it is inconceivable that the rest of the world wouldn't deprive itself needlessly of a toy because the US offends its own sensibilities with regards to civil and human rights.

In the world of Lego, the minifigures take on whatever personality you're giving them. Your Lego cops are only bastards if you want them to be. The world of Lego is a peaceful cosmopolitan society, but notice like with any source of entertainment, there needs to be interesting conflict between characters in the form of opposing factions. In the Richard Scarry-esque world of Lego and long-established career archetypes, it would not be controversial to say that the police are the "good" guys (and conversely, they're only the good guys if you want them to be) that oppose a faction that explicitly commits crime (robbers who are the same color as the police, who depending on your sense of justice are the "real" good guys).

I won't be buying the set because I don't find it terribly interesting, and I will avoid making terrible performative jokes about guillotines and arson. My favorite modulars are the ones that go all in on the "mixed use" aspect, and are a visibly eclectic combination of different businesses (Assembly Square being the GOAT). I do see potential with this one and the Bookstore (turning the station into a giant Strand Books-style bookstore and the smaller blue building into the Police Station).
the gently caress The Police statements didn't originate with the george floyd protests nor did the lengthy, lengthy history of police brutality in the US or elsewhere. nor did the protests against police violence only happen in the US, it was a global movement, and cops in other countries are absolutely bastards, but that is for another thread.

lego sets, as I said, present a Pleasantville style depiction of police, all the imagery without all the controversy. there is a long history of toys(and most forms of media really) promoting cops as the Good Guys versus literally anyone else as The Bad Guys. This set should not have come out now, if ever, but especially now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 28, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Blue Moonlight posted:

They announced a second series for 2021. Barring contractual obligations, it probably did OK.

I did notice in the last catalog that there were multiple callouts instructing buyers of the base set requirement.

OFFICIAL

LEGO

THWIMP

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The lander? I enjoyed making it, at least. And it does look nice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

garfield hentai posted:

What do you all do with your boxes? I definitely don't see these as an "investment" or anything, but I do know that there's an aftermarket for Lego and it'd be nice to have the option of reselling sets if I wanted to. Does having/not having the box have a big effect on resell price?
It can have a significant effect, yes. Doubly so if there's an insert, like a lot of old sets such as the Mega Core Magnetizer had a big plastic clamshell insert that would like, display a bunch of pieces inside the flip-up flap cover, show artwork, etc. If you had that too, it can dramatically increase the value, but also dramatically increase the space it takes up. Meanwhile, just the box still gives a value boost, and can be flattened(I recommend carefully breaking it down so it can be easily glued back to its former shape without being obvious, or in the case of a lot of newer sets, just cut the tape with a skill knife and flatten it). Flattened boxes take up basically no space besides the surface area, I have a single big box where I keep all my flattened lego boxes and it fits almost everything barring the super gigantic sets.

I would say, even for smaller sets, if you have the space where you can have a box you can put all the flattened boxes in, it might be worth keeping the smaller set boxes too since most people will chuck those and thus they'd be a bit rarer. I remember trying to find a with-box M:TRON small set, the Vector Detector, was basically impossible when I went looking for one at the time. Hell, even looking right now, there are only five listings(sold or otherwise) on ebay that have the box, and one is super jacked up.

edit: I had bought a big lot of lego sets from the 80s/early 90s a while back that had boxes and instructions included, and when selling them I was getting a solid 25-50% boost by having the instructions and box with the pieces for the set. So it can make a big difference depending on the set.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 30, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Carbohydrates posted:

Whenever I buy a used set I specifically seek "no box / no instructions" because the box means nothing to me and all LEGO instructions are online by now. The fact that I do this in order to pay a lower price does indicate that people care about those things though, I guess!

Personally, I try to keep all my instructions, but I get rid of most boxes because I live in a 1b1b with limited storage. I keep boxes for IDEAS sets and other ~fancy~ boxed sets, though.
I have a few classic space sets with their boxes, imo they add something to it when displayed alongside the set.

my original space police lock-up base is being overrun by bananamen

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

fappenmeister posted:

The boxes were taking room in the garage, and I was going through some poo poo and couldn't handle the thought of them being there. :smith:
Oh, and that I was an adult and didn't need them anymore (but kept the Transformers wtf).

But it's OK now!
I think it was the "threw them out" part. Always donate legos.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Brawnfire posted:

Finally finished up and took photos for this suggestion. I did kind of a mono-hull hydrofoil yacht with a hip early 90s color scheme.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

davebo posted:

I was reading an article yesterday with a few 20-30 year postal workers saying this is the worst backlog they've ever had. I can only wonder how long it will take to work through it all while the normal influx of packages due to covid continues. I thought I was clever choosing an in-state bricklink seller but it's been at least three weeks now. I kind of enjoy the anticipation though, just because the cold weather would otherwise make me pretty unmotivated to go check the mailbox.

Got that harry potter train for xmas. Didn't realize it wasn't designed without power functions in mind, which... why? Do they not like selling expensive upgrades? Wasn't hard to google guides on multiple ways to fit them in though. Definitely my favorite engine I have so far.
I sold thousands of dollars worth of merchandise since late november. 80% of it still has not reached the destinations, including many christmas presents, and a lot of my customers are losing their minds. The tracking info on most of them hasn't updated in weeks so many think their stuff got lost and want a refund/open a claim, others are like "oh yeah I saw news articles about how hosed usps is right now, don't worry about it". luckily many of the things I shipped the first week of december just updated on christmas eve with their first tracking info(as in, the tracking numbers say "label created" followed by them being halfway across the country with the next tracking update, not even an update mentioning they were accepted by the post office in the first place) so that has helped alleviate some fears.

ChesterJT posted:

Uhh yeah? You made a mistake, those usually have consequences in life. You seem awful salty for a problem you created for yourself.
you are Let Me Speak To Your Manager made flesh

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cojawfee posted:

It's probably too much effort to keep scanning every bit of mail so everything just gets sent along without being scanned until it absolutely has to to be sent where it needs to go.
yes. every single package I shipped within a week period got sent to kansas to some major distribution hub before being scanned the first time. they presumably sat in a retain truck for a while until then.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's the joke

Also:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If M:TRON doesn't win then the majority of lego fans have no soul

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I picked blacktron, m:tron, and bionicle.

if they revive bionicle, I hope they go more for the spirit of the earlier sets, which were more mechanical in design and less organic/rubbery. the Metru Nui figures were really solid, though they could use a bit more variation. If they just do, like, better versions of the OG Toa, that'd be perfect for me. The original designs are simple and fantastic, but the original figures are very rigid compared to the highly articulated stuff later on.

edit: like one of the original promo shots of the six heroes shows them doing stuff they literally can't, like...looking anywhere but straight ahead. They do that with minifigs and stuff, bending them in spots they can't actually bend, it's always been a pet peeve of mine with lego promo images.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 19, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oxyclean posted:

The real original Bionicle is Slizer/Throwbot.
ah, the failed prototypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's the derpy wolf head piece. almost all the animal/humanoid heads are molded.