Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

RatHat posted:

Supposedly an upcoming GWP, looks incredible. For that many pieces I'll probably require a pretty big purchase though

Looks like it's this winner getting made: https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/3a0cb2a7-395f-400c-8e0b-c3428041a8fe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I try not to drown this thread in BYGGLEK nonsense, but here are two (of four) designs I'm working on right now that I'm kinda proud of:

I really like the longship. These are alternate builds of the ikea bygglek set? Did you pick one up or are you doing it all digitally?

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

I can see it being a display piece in a non lego nerd house, a cool retro object like the typewriter. The mini builds and scene don’t help that though, it’s like they couldn’t decide between retro object and leaning into the gaming nostalgia.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

I remember the sheriff's safe had instructions that were zoomable and you could rotate the model.
We know Lego has a CAD and even encourages using studio. Why can't their digital instructions be as good

There are more of them in the app that have the 3D instructions now but it looks like they’re prioritising the kids sets. For example almost all the Monkie Kid sets do, but in the recent technic sets it’s only the 7+ aged ones.

edit: all of this years speed champions have 3D instructions

Destroyenator fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 14, 2022

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm gonna take a stab at why Galaxy Explorer may not have had as wide appeal (assuming this is actually the case).

Remaking set or themes like the big pirate ship or a western town (would 100% buy this) is a little different to a quite faithful update to what was pretty crude design.
Don't get me wrong, I had enough classic space in the big haul of lego donated to me as a kid to have some nostalgia for it, but the early designs are still very basic in that they're a cockpit and engine on top of a flat wing.
So it's not just the case of doing a new pirate ship or castle that harkens back to an older theme, but now with modern techniques and pieces - it's fully recreating the same dated design just with less visible studs and some more detailing, which is going to limit it's appeal to just people nostalgic for that specific era of classic space. Totally updating the design may have attracted a wider audience but alienated the intended demographic, so if it is a case that it didn't perform as well, it may just be that they overestimated the appeal of the look of classic space to people who didn't grow up with it.

The new pirate ship was my first adult LEGO purchase. I'm nostalgic for a lot of the sets people have just posted (those holograms!) and had the space monorail, but I have no interest in remakes of those sets. I'd maybe be tempted by a modern space base/ship in the style of 60350 with adult level complexity and the detailing the pirate ship had (and some jetpacks). I guess I'm nostalgic for what was fun to me rather than the actual ship designs.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

I don’t think IDEAS reviewed sets can become GWPs based on the current rules. The ones that have been GWPs are all pulled from the competitions, not the regular voting.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

I think a lot of the pushback was also that it was a super low effort submission. If it was something like your MOC there might've been a different reaction.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

Gonna unironically argue, Kpop stuff could actually make some super cool Lego sets beyond just fan appeal (even though it would mostly be that, yeah). It's not like Sitcoms where the subject is a couch in a 1990s living room -- the music videos have a lot of artistically creative and interesting backdrop designs to pick from. Not sure if I'll be getting it but I'm genuinely curious how this BTS set ends up doing.
Definitely more interesting than the sitcoms, I'm also curious how it'll turn out.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Zwille posted:

Yeah it’s the same for me, I guess it’s because it’s marketed as a kids toy too, as indicated by the stud shooters :v:

All modern LEGO sets, regardless of age rating, are designed to be fully “safe” for a child to fall on from any angle and not poke an eye out. For every step of the build process. You’ll never find an official build that requires a fixed exposed axel beyond a certain length, or something like that spike that doesn’t either flex or have a really weak attachment.

The architecture skylines are a good example, they’re all on clip attachments for that reason.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

the holy poopacy posted:

Honestly it's actually a pretty clever move, it's got a very appreciable millennial fanbase that in my estimation seems to be mostly comprised of people who are open to buying Lego but aren't already buying a ton of it.

I know at least one person who’s one (and so far only) adult LEGO purchase was the Home Alone house. There’s an appeal in those bigger nostalgia sets you can build with your family.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Zwille posted:

I haven’t tried the ship build yet but I love how alive PoBB looks as the island build and how you can see the insides more. Also I keep adding period or beach accurate mini figures like the surfer or castaway dude to it and it’s getting rather crowded.

Yeah, I feel like you lose so much of the detail in ship mode. I had an Ancient Warrior from minifig series 21 attacking my settlement until I had to pack up to move house. Still need to start the rebuild…

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Skios posted:

The Architecture set for the Lego House is available now on Lego.com for Europe and the UK. £44.99/€49.99.

I was in Billund last year and was sure I was going to pick this up, but in person it was a bit bland. I ended up getting the Orchids, no regrets.

The actual House itself was a great time.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Zedd posted:

I've also been eyeing that set and considering I'm not buying many sets still does this mean it will retire "now" before / when the 2022 set comes out so grab it when you see it on shelves. Or that they use this Christmas season as it's going away sale so to speak?

Brickset has them all the previous ones retiring on the 31st of December so they all get three Christmases in their two and a bit year run. It should still be around until the end of the year. https://brickset.com/sets/subtheme-Winter-Village-Collection

That doesn't guarantee they don't run out of stock as they're winding down though.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They could sell them in clear bags if that was the intent. What's the benefit of this "I'm not touching you" game where you can feel them out in an opaque bag?

I think it’s for kids who want a small toy and the parents don’t want to spend forever with the kids deciding which of the 20 they get. They get a marvel or a star wars or a generic lego fig that goes with their other sets and there’s some excitement in the opening. They were never interested in feeling out the bags.

It would be really interesting to know how much of the cmf sales are going to kids versus collectors. All we see is hugely biased by who’s going to be on reddit.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Seems like they could just put some otherwise nonsensical code on the back in small print to satisfy the collectors

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

There’s a couple of other LEGO House exclusives too, like this one https://www.brothers-brick.com/2021/03/01/the-next-lego-house-exclusive-set-revealed-40502-the-brick-moulding-machine-news/

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Saithir posted:

Still need to figure out a way to decorate the flat ground somehow, because a straight plate is really boring.

Bunch of white slope pieces like the bottom of the probe droid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

deoju posted:

Ice Planet was cool. Transparent neon orange chainsaws and skis were, are, and will always be rad. :colbert:

Also without the skiis how were your spaceships swooping down to land? There’s no way wheels can ever look as good