Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Finally read through most of this thread so time to post. I wasn't a big Lego kid but got into them with my daughter as she was growing up. I work in IT sitting looking at a screen all day, something about the slowing down to put a set together and the tactile feel of the bricks is appealing to me. I have a few sets that we built together when she was younger like the Harry Potters and the pirate ship. The latest editions are the Ghostbusters Ecto and the Marvel. I don't have any rhyme or reason to what I buy, other than what I can afford and what jumps out at me. I need to re-organize my shelves through if I continue adding.

Also, seeing this artic icebreaker set makes me want to mod it to look like the camp from John Carpenter's The Thing.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35290726&cp=2255956.2273442.2255962.3696486.10971509&parentPage=family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Running a garage sale today as part of a citywide sale. 3 people have already asked me if I have any Legos. Yes I do, but not for sale.

Also what's the thread's opinion on the BrickFest show. There's one nearby this weekend but the $20 entrance fee is a bit steep if all i want to do is check out the builds and browse through the vendors.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Suffered through root canal this morning so I took the day off work. Gives me time to put together the AT-AT I just bought. Besides this little guy has been looking for his daddy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Pyroclastic posted:

Just a head's up, but Costco appears to be carrying 6 of the Star Wars microfighters in packs of 3 for $24 each. I think they're the first or second series, but it's still a 20% discount.

Thanks, forgot to mention this. I picked up this set the other day it was the only one my Costco had.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
For any of you in the NJ area: Legoland center are latest additions to American Dream project
http://www.northjersey.com/news/aquarium-legoland-center-are-latest-additions-to-american-dream-project-1.1423036

quote:

A Legoland Discovery Center was announced as part of the Xanadu mix in March 2008 by Colony Capital, a year before construction was halted until 2014 due to insufficient funds. There are seven such centers in the United States, including one in Yonkers, N.Y., and another in Boston. Merlin Entertainments, the operators of the Sea Life and Legoland sites, describes the latter as “stepping into a giant box of Lego” toy bricks. Rides, classes, a party room, and a “4-D Cinema” — in which a 3-D movie is supplemented with motion seats, wind and strobe effects, rain and other stimuli — are to be part of the attraction, which is aimed at children aged 3 to 10.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

The Rage posted:

No Lego stuff from NYCC yet?

Didn't see any special sets, they were mostly promoting their new line.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I think I got a good deal off a local Craigslist ad. A grandfather was selling off some of the stuff he had bought for his grandson. Nice guy we chatted about collectables, and he showed me his train setup and collection.

I wound up paying $120 for #8097 Slave, #7749 Echo Base and #8089 Hoth Wampa Cave. He threw in the three smaller items for free.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Hopper posted:

But they look unused...what happened to the grandson that he doesn't need them anymore??? :ohdear:

Used, assembled then disassembled back into the numbered bags that he taped up. Real meticulous this guy and the kid was a master builder. The grandson is hanging onto a handful of more rare stuff like the death star.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Light posted:

For anyone interested in some CITY or CREATOR sets, it looks like they are 30% off at Barnes & Noble's website. Not all LEGO sets are discounted (I'm pretty sure the modulars and Star Wars sets aren't) but some are! You'll see the discount in your cart if the set you're interested in is discounted.

They were also having a bogo 50% off on educational toys but all their prices are list and it did not add up to much of a savings.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Postin' from the Downtown Disney Lego store.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Zodack posted:

Just saw a listing on Cragislist for 100 lbs of assorted parts for $2000. Among the parts was a visible Super Star Destroyer instruction booklet... it hurts to know that someone owned that model and it got dismantled and put into a plastic blue bucket.

How do people come up with those bucket of Lego prices? I've seen my local Craigslist with anything from $50 for a storage tub to 50lbs for $350 and everything in-between.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

NESguerilla posted:

Craigslist will never disappoint when it comes to dumb people. I swear every time I look for something on there I will find as many people asking more than retail for something that is readily available at stores as I do decent deals. Especially with lego though. Every time I browse Lego on there, there are tons of postings for things I could literally get at target right now for 50% less than they are asking.

For every good deal I've found there are about 50 bad ones. As soon as I see NIB with multiple sets listed I know it is someone asking above MSRP, even for sets I can still get at the store, who just bought a bunch and think they are going to retire on Lego resales. I'd rather hit a couple open box sets, assembled once, because I'm not looking to stare at a bunch of boxes for a couple years I'd actually like to build and display them.

That and the guy that lists his 40 minifigures, individually, and reposts every other day to float them back to the top. Clutters the search and makes it a pain to find new stuff.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Factory posted:

I'm thinking about selling some sets,
Would anyone be interested in an open Jabba's Palace, Rancor Pit, Parisian Cafe, detectives office, and Palace Cinema? PM me.

Just postin' to say that Factory is Good GoonTM who is helping me relive my Star Wars childhood.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Is the Batman Tumbler as cool a build as it looks? There's someone somewhat local that is selling a new one for $150. It is unassembled but open and blemished box, bags still intact. I'm not a resale first type of collector, so I'm just thinking about the build and display. Don't think I'll find one for cheaper than $150.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Captain Invictus posted:

The latest shop at home catalog is selling the firehouse super hard, with a fold out three page spread just for it and the ecto 1

I received mine yesterday and was like "a centerfold what is this, Playboy?" then I saw the firehouse and I understood.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

lorddazron posted:

Its a really cool build. Some really interesting techniques and an amazing level of detail. If its complete with minifigs then for 150 its a good buy. Took me about 15 hours or so to put together.

Be warned it is huge though.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the Tumbler. I was ready to make the 45 minute drive to go pick it up but it turned out the guy was coming down to my town anyway so I saved myself gas and tolls as well.

Gave my daughter the Dr. Who set for Xmas and my wife got me Wall-E and a few smaller sets so it was a pretty great holiday for Legos.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Baronjutter posted:

Hi lego thread! Never posted here despite being absolutely obsessed with lego as a kid. I had tubs and tubs of it in storage, but there was always one weird kit I had that I could never quite figure out. It was made out of light blue bricks none of my friends had ever seen. Everything about the kit seemed weird, I almost thought it was a knock-off.

I was in a drug store with my mom one day as kids dragged shopping generally are. This store didn't really sell toys, but they had a few little things on the counter. One of them was a strange blue and gray lego truck that I had never seen, and I was the kid who would pour over the catalogs and know ever kit. Over a series of months I'd ask if I could have this truck every time we went in or we walked past. Finally they relented and got me this weird kit.

A thread on lovely ebay collectors and "rare items" got me thinking about this truck, so I researched it and found it's this:
https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=1651-2#T=S&O={}

Those prices are loving insane. I don't have the box or instructions, and I think most of my stickers have fallen off so I doubt it's worth much. It's just nice to have the mystery solved. How this little drug store in Canada got some super rare not-for-sale promotional container truck I have no idea. I didn't even understand what it was when I was a kid, had no idea what a shipping container was since we have no railroads where I live. Funny enough I'm now into model trains and really really love anything about shipping containers. I guess I loved containers since a child!

That's a fun truck, my family had a business around the seaport so we'd see those trailers all over the place.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Arctic Base is simple to assemble but a neat set. Nothing spectacular, but probably the best set I got for playing with my kids. Plus, I love polar bears.

Agreed.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

bloodysabbath posted:

Honestly, that cave just makes me wish they had gone full batshit (ha) like they did with the firehouse HQ. You're already aiming at adults with disposable income with a set like that, why not charge the $350 - $400 and make a giant, gently caress-off sized Wayne Manor with a bat cave in the foundation level?

I'm so in love with this theme and pulls the nostalgia strings crazy. I wish they had broken this set up into a modular that I could add to over time. The $350 set my wife would notice but the $75-$100 sets over time I'd be able to sneak in until I had a full Wayne mansion / bat cave monstrosity. This thing is not complete until I have a bat cave entrance with the collapsible road block sign that I can drive over with the bat mobile.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Wifey got me a $50 Lego gift card for Valentine's Day, for the "other thing that keeps me up late at night". Now the question, be thrifty just spend the $50 or add it to cash to get something bigger and if I do how much can I add without it seem like overspending?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Hey guys, the catalog came in the mail today and I showed the Batman set to my wife. I said I know it is really expensive but it really hits my nostalgia spot. She surprised the hell out of me by saying $270 is not that expensive and you already have a $50 gift card. we'd just need somewhere to display it. Man did I marry well!

I have a bunch of extra sets I pulled from a few Craigslist batches I bought over the past couple of months. If I can unload them I'll have more than enough to cover the Batman set.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Apollodorus posted:

Do you have any sort of list of which ones are on sale? I can't seem to find any on the website.

I went to two of my local B&N and all they had were $90 Chimera sets left. Great price if you are into them, 50% off plus 10% as a B&N member. I almost talked my self into that ice elephant / mammoth set (sorry don't know the set numbers) but was a bit out of my price range for something I'm not collecting.

Somewhat related note, they also have 50% off Avenger Age of Ultron Pop collectible figures.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I'm at a conference and the have a Lego table with some logo'd pieces. Would it be in bad form if I tried to sweep them into my swag bag at the end of the show :)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Anyone still looking to trade Disney MF?
Need:
Buzz
Ursula

Have:
Mr Incredible
Syndrone
Minnie
Mickey
Stitch
Genie
Daisy
Peter Pan

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Wow, how did I wind up with like 3 Vaders then? Am I that lucky by buying up boxes of used Legos on Craigslist?

Speaking of which I've found that I'm addicted to the chase; hunting for deals, sorting through bins, keeping the good stuff and selling what's left. Trouble is my leftover parts inventory is getting huge and I'm getting that look from my wife.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
OK fess up, which one of you posted this:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

tomapot posted:

Speaking of which I've found that I'm addicted to the chase; hunting for deals, sorting through bins, keeping the good stuff and selling what's left. Trouble is my leftover parts inventory is getting huge and I'm getting that look from my wife.

Jumping off my last post, assuming this is the place to post my latest score. I saw this one on an app called Letgo. Two boxes listed for $30, got it for $25.

Looked like a bunch of random stuff at first but once I started digging through it got better. Found about 60 minifigs, a dozen that are collectible or parts of sets. Found a couple Star Wars sets and a little worn #3367 Space Shuttle.

The real treat was the nearly complete #4645 Harbor, #4867 Hogwarts and #9468 Monster Fighter Vampyre Castle. I've been wanting Monster Fighter sets for a while since I missed out on that series, so I'm pretty psyched.

I thought I landed the Dynamic Duo Funhouse but there were only some of the parts. I did find Batman's Cycle and most of the minifigs.

There were a 4 of those Lego board games (Hobbit, Hogwarts, Atlantis, Chima) so I wound up with the a bunch of those picture tiles and green and grey 6x6 plates. So many spare parts from those.

Going to get the missing parts from Hogwarts and Vampyre, keep those and the funhouse minifigs, and see what I can move of the rest. I anyone is interested in the Harbor set it is in really good shape and a fun set but not my style, shoot me a PM.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

Ok, so:

1) anyone in the UK seen the S16 minifigs yet?

2) what does this mean, Lego?

My guess is that it means "no camping" which is common for corporate conference rooms. They don't want you taking over a room for a a while day(s) just to have somewhere to work. Usually a result when companies move to open-floor work environment with all cubes or no assigned seating.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Dump vs organized builds: I'm one of those big Craigslist bucket of mixed lego buyers. All my non-new builds are from mixed up containers. Adds a bit of time digging through pieces and can get frustrating at times. New builds I'm a bit more disciplined.

Feenix posted:

So good!

I felt so happy as this came together.

That is a nice build. All you need is the surfer guy / girl minifigs now.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
For you Dimensions fans they have a ton of Fun Packs at Five Below stores for $5.

Edit: Photo wouldn't upload for some reason. They had 71220 LOTR Gibli Axe Wagon (looks cool so I bought it), Chima #71223 & #71232, & Benny Spaceship #71214.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 21, 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Any of you into the Lego trains? My last Craigslist lot netted me a few cars from the My Own Train theme.
#3740 Small Locomotive
#3742 Tender
#10015 Green Passenger Wagon

My CL ad with the descriptions and more pictures can be found here. http://newjersey.craigslist.org/tag/5731349207.html

PM me with an offer if you are interested.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 23, 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

xzzy posted:

Brick separators were introduced in 1990, but it was a mail order purchase from Lego.

Now Lego stuffs them in so many sets people incorporate them into builds.

I've got plenty of the orange ones that came with sets but found two of these wide green ones in my last Craigslist bulk buy.
http://brickset.com/sets/630-1/Brick-Separator-Green

tomapot fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 11, 2016

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Wasn't planning on any Star Wars sets but got the flyer in the mail for the Rouge One sets and drat if the Imperial Shuttle doesn't look bad rear end.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Gabriel Pope posted:

The old grays vary a lot with age and wear (which is why they were replaced.) The newer grays are pretty close to pristine pieces in the old gray, but most older gray pieces are going to have yellowed a lot.

I buy bulk used lots and I had to get one of those natural light bulbs because the old grays, new grays and just discolored worn out old greys were driving me crazy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Alpine Mustache posted:

Anyone ever been to a Brickfest before?
I have a 2:00 - 6:00 ticket for tomorrow in NJ, but i'm curious if they let people in earlier than their ticket time.
I don't remember choosing a time when i bought the ticket a few months ago but i guess i must have.

I don't remember last time I went, you might be able to swap it out if there are still openings. Have you tried emailing them? brickfestlive@meadowlands.brickfestlive.com
That guy Chad Collins who runs the thing spams the poo poo out of me every day about pre sale tickets and other announcements. I'm at NY ComicCon this weekend otherwise I'd drop into brickfest.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
This is why I've been reluctant to sell anything that requires shipping. I only sell through my local Craigslist and flea markets. It really limits my reach even though I'm in a major metropolitan area. Speaking of which, if anyone is interested in making an offer on a bunch of sets I am clearing out I'd be OK shipping to one of you fine goons.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=22732342 There's some padding in those prices, I expected to get the typical CL hagglers.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Captain Invictus posted:

"this is why"? This is one of two transactions out of thousands where I've had issues. It sucks, but it's not worth throwing out the entire idea of it.

Yeah, realize I'm probably overly paranoid but I've yet to sell anything through eBay so it's getting over the hurdle mentally.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Picked up a Harley minifig today for my daughter's stocking. Found it first shot at Toys r us but it was the only thing I was getting and the line was ridiculous. Took me 20 minutes to find at Target so I guess it all equaled out in the end.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
That Rebrickable website combined with my OCD tendencies got me to catalog about 13,000 parts. They are all the left over parts from my bulk Craigslist buys that didn't make it into builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Spent the holiday break cleaning up and redoing my display shelves. It was ridiculously cluttered. I put some stuff in storage and have room for a few more sets now.