Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yellowing is -not- real?

Yellowing is sort-of real, this is the #7190 circa 2000 Falcon, http://brickset.com/sets/7190-1. I bought it used and had to replace a few parts, getting the color match to the old grays with the combined ageing was a pain in the rear end. Figure I am close enough at this point and can't drive myself too nuts about it. The set is also missing Princess Leia but I can't pull the trigger on a $25 minifig. Bad enough this set has some weirdly expensive parts like $3 tan hinge bases and $15 ribbed hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I was a sort-by-color person but changed my ways once my collection got bigger. If you go back to my post, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328496&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=811#post467772900 you can see I have them sorted and bagged by type. I can also look them up in Rebrickable where I have them entered by color and I can look them up by part type.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
The Final Battle is a great set besides the minifig you get the flying ant build and the cool Yellow Jacket minifig. I just packed up the set but kept the Minifigs out so I could do this:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Free Batman Phantom Zone Polybag with AMC advance movie ticket purchase.

AMC Stubs® members will receive a FREE AMC Stubs Member Exclusive LEGO Batman set* when they see THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE in RealD® 3D on opening weekend.**

*February 9 - 12, 2017, while supplies last. Offer valid only at participating AMC® locations. Offer valid only at participating RealD 3D AMC locations.

Not sure if this link will work, pulled it from my email.
https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/...m_launch=%25%25

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

ElwoodCuse posted:

Did it have a name? All the ones here are Dollar Tree.

It is called 99 cent store, think they are only in western us?

Edit: here you go http://99only.com/

tomapot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 10, 2017

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Colonial Air Force posted:

My oldest brought home one of those Schoalstic book catalogs, and they have a Lego Batman Movie book with an exclusive Batman in a tartan kilt and broadsword minifig. I'm really tempted....

Go for it, the tartan minifig is awesome. Bonus points buying from Schoalastic which supports your school.

I didn't realize they had the 99 cent store here in Burbank where I'm traveling for work. Second store I tried had some, I grabbed a couple Funpack: LOTR Gollum & Logoles & Gimli, a Wu and a Zane Ninjago, Bad Cop and a Benny Spaceship, Chimea Cragger and an Oz Wicked Witch.

If I wasn't flying with only a carry on I would have grabbed a few more. Mostly I want them for the minifigs. I've got a few incomplete mixed sets from a Craigslist bulk buy and having a minifig to throw in when I sell off the stuff I don't want makes it easier.

I don't have Dimensions so if anyone wants just the discs just let me know.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Barnes & Noble stores are having a 25% off sale on Lego sets over $40 (I think). Plus B&N get another 10% off. Gave in this morning and picked up Krennic's Shuttle for $60.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

NickThorn posted:

This is the same for me :)

Monsters and Lego have the perfect combination of fun and horror that I love about Halloween.

Count me in as wishing I had gotten back into Lego when Monsters was still around. I did find a nearly complete 9468 Vampyre Castle in a garage sale haul of mixed Lego parts. I think that's my favorite find so far.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Question for you folk, I picked up a lot of mixed Legos off Craigslist last night and found about two dozen of these non-Lego figures. Anyone recognize what they are?

Pretty excited about this bulk Lego haul, looking at least the 7781 Batmobile Two Face Escape, 6206 Tie, 7261 Clone Turbo Tank and 6209 Slave 1, with minifigs for $75. Going to take awhile to sort and rebuild but that's part of the fun for me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Feenix posted:

While not the most glamorous of the ships, I think I am all about that UCS Snow Speeder.

And yes even moreso to that Fishing Shack.

I think that might be my first UCS buy. I have a soft spot for all the Hoth stuff

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

EvilJoven posted:

I once drove up to a house, knocked on a door and a guy in a tank top and track pants handed me a ziplock baggie with 20 grey wheels inside and I handed him a fiver. Lego is literally plastic drugs.

Based on all the padded envelopes I get delivered yo my house from Bricklink sellers I'm surprised I'm not under surveillance.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Holy crap all those minfigures, wonder what kind of offers this guy is going to get.

https://newhaven.craigslist.org/tag/6066871201.html

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think the best part about the adventurers (and Indiana Jones) was the classic cars. Sure army trucks and Nazi poo poo is kinda neat (hillariously expensive second hand. . .) but even the other vehicles are awesome. I think my favorite Lego build is that he dusenburg from Indiana Jones 7682.
I picked up a few sets off of Letgo which included Indiana Jones sets. I'm willing to part with a few of them when they sell but I'm hanging onto 7622 Race for the Stolen Treasure because those old trucks rock.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Crotch Fruit posted:

Please post what you have and how much you want for each set, I need more Indiana Jones vehicles in my life. . . 7622 is an awesome set, I love the army truck, just kinda wish it wasn't a Nazi truck.

7621 Indiana Jones and the Lost Tomb
7623 Indiana Jones: Temple Escape
7624 Indiana Jones: Jungle Duel
7625 Indiana Jones: River Chase

I think they are all complete with instructions but no boxes, except for Temple Escape. That one is missing minifigs and the ball that rolls down the track. I'm on vacation and can check in with you next week.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

RodShaft posted:

I want to do a wedding set for some friends of mine that are getting married. I need a black dudes head with nerd glasses. Is there any current sets with such a head I could grab? Smaller the better.

Use this site http://goatleg.com/headid.html and play around with the head colors until you find one that is a close enough match. I tried "dark flesh" and came up with these matches https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?searchName=Y&catType=P&catID=238&colorPart=91&q=-&q=

If you find match click on the part number and it will bring you to a list of sellers of just that part.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=3626bpb0212#T=S&C=91&O={"color":"91"}

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I added another snowspeeder from a craigslist bulk lot, bringing me to 5. Time to find a better way to display them.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

I count 6? :shobon:

5 normal size and 2 microfighter size. Im thinking something like this, just stacked up on these knock-off plates. Hoping to find something a little more sturdy and streamline.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

deoju posted:

Where'd you get those plates? How are they? I could use some, but the lepin plate that came with my detective office was concave.

I got them from Amazon, they are knockoff lego so the are kinda flimsy and the uprights don't snap in well so I have to be careful when moving them. They hold up well enough once I have them in place though.

Found the order:
Premium Clear Stackable Base Plates - 4 Pack 6" x 6" Baseplate Bundle with 30 New an... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0145AYKJW/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_43ehzbSXHCGG1

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Drove about an hour away to snag this Craigslist lot for $50. A bunch of great sets in here for selling and for keeping and another snowspeeder for my collection. Have a bit of sorting and rebuilding to go through.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah goddamn. I'm jealous that is a fantastic deal. Even if the sets don't end up being complete you made out like a bandit.

If you end up selling stuff can you sell me that wampa and check if there is a Taun Taun in there?

Edit: What is that big set above the slave 1? is that mega blox or something?

Will do.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, it is. Which means the loose bricks are potentially infected. :stare:

Infected with Megablox and glue :bang:. Seems to be contained to only a few spots / sets but I'll have to be thorough when I rebuild. As far as megablox, I've been at this for a few years now, I can usually pick them out when sorting by color/weight/sound. The plastic is all wrong and stands out compared to Lego.

Electromax posted:

I'm surprised that even lasted an hour on CL. How does someone sell stuff like this for $50? Ignorant grandparent who found a box in kids room? Punishment? You'd think whoever spent that money would have at least some concept of the original cost of the sets even if they were gifts... maybe someone died or something?

I was surprised as well. I saw it on Friday night and started texting her on Saturday around 10am. I think it was because it was under the Hudson Valley listing and it was outside the city. Seems like the kid had gotten older and they were cleaning house, mixed with some garage sale stuff. They did pull a lot of the minifigs though.

veni veni veni posted:

Most of the Legos I see on CL are the opposite where the seller shoots for the moon on the price because someone told them Legos were valuable or whatever. Yes I would love to pay $250 for your 10lb tub of Legos that are actually mostly mega blox.

True, I see a lot of grossly over priced Lego on CL. Either the set hoarders or people who throw some random blocks into ziplocs and expect to get $15 / pound. My rule of thumb is to not spend more than $100 unless it is a really good deal, be patient and wait for a good deal to pop up. I've got this lot and another smaller one I picked up a few weeks ago that I still need to sort through. 'm currently sitting on over 100 sets, small to large, that I'm looking to sell. I've had some of them on CL but I'm going to setup a few tables at a local flea market this weekend to get back to a reasonable level of Lego in the house.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Humphreys posted:

Yeah postage in Australia sucks, it's slow and expensive. I put it down to low population and huge land mass - but I'm probably wrong. I'm going to be paying $204.99 for the SV with shipping cost of $35, or I buy that and a set that's aprrox the same price like the getaway racer for $32.99. I'm ahead a few bucks and also have a cool little ratrod looking technic:

https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Getaway-Racer-42046

That was my first and only Technic buy so far. Great little build and looks boss sitting on my desk.

veni veni veni posted:

I love the gray look of SW stuff but simultaneously resent that 80% of my Lego parts are gray because of it.

I used to keep my spare parts sorted by color until the greys and blacks got to be too much to sort through, then I switched to part type/size. Sucks when you add in the old greys as well.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
They've got about 6-8 Saturn V sets on the shelf at Lego store Downtown Disney Anaheim.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I'm not a huge Technic fan but this collection in amazing, https://newjersey.craigslist.org/tag/6151687757.html

drat this Formula 1 is nice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Feenix posted:

I like some Technic but am not fervent like I am about Lego. But that F1 is awesome. Is that old and out of print??

I had to look it up since it was so nice, looks like a set from 2000.
https://brickset.com/sets/8458-1/Silver-Championhttps://brickset.com/sets/8458-1/Silver-Champion

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Feenix posted:

Hopefully its my son or daughter. I was sorta pondering that today. On my Lego bulding table, as I was putting the boosters on my Saturn V Stage 1, i noticed I had the Ultimate Batmobile, UCS Snowspeeder also on the table. That's almost 600 bucks in Lego acquired in the last 30 days. Then under the table is the Land Excavator at 300 and next to the Table was Assembly Square.

Then I mumbled something about thank goodness I'm already married and had had some sex...

[ed]

If that happens, then my next hope is it's some kid who doesn't realize what a score they just got... and not some speculating rear end in a top hat.

Standby while I update my will...

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I just put together a 2006 #7781 Batmobile Two-Faced Escape from one of my Craigslist buys. The PDF from Lego was crap and all the black pieces blurred together. I had to look for build videos and pictures to try and piece it together.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I'm assuming since it is an older set there were not as many 3rd party photos or build videos like the newer sets.
Think I got it built right:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Strife posted:

Naw, looks fine to me! :stare:

After rebuilding four 2006-era Batman sets all I can say is f' Batman and all his black parts and the crappy lego instruction scans. That sucked the fun right out of it.

Wound up with four sets.
7779 Batman Dragster: Catwoman Pursuit
7780 Batboat: Hunt for Killer Croc
7781 Batmobile: Two-Face Escape
7782 Batwing: Joker's Aerial Assault

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Hopper posted:

By cops and robbers I ment that line with the swamp based bank robbers, the only fun set in that line is the hideout shack that looks like a Louisiana swamp meth lab. But it is play sets, so fair enough, kids like them.

Not that I'd buy it but thought the swamp police theme looked fun. Hadn't thought about the meth lab angle but sure looks like one.

Only problem is that airboat is too nice, a methhead would have taken it apart by now.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

That one is awesome, too.

Someone thinks Friends sets are for girls.

From a few weeks ago, if any of you Friends fans are interested I've got a Heartlake News Van that I'm looking to sell off for $10 plus shipping.
https://brickset.com/sets/41056-1/Heartlake-News-Van

Here's a bad photo:

Edit: $5 plus shipping

tomapot fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 5, 2017

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

ShaneB posted:

Is there a typical way people like to purchase used Lego? Like if I want to disassemble something should I do it in reverse order and re-bag it and stuff?

I might be odd but I like to buy crap like this.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Came across a couple of these mini sets in one of my CL bins, digging their simple design.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

veni veni veni posted:

Got my $18 shipped "box of 300+" canopies today. Dude was playing fast and loose with his description of "canopy" as there are plenty of random trans blocks and even a few single studs in there, but goddamn I could not be happier with this purchase nonetheless. MOC spaceships for life here.

Let me know if you have either of these:
4474 Trans-Dark Blue Windscreen 6 x 4 x 2 Canopy
2507 Trans-Dark Blue Windscreen 10 x 4 x 2 1/3 Canopy

I need them for this guy, https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6462-1#T=I and would rather not go buy them. I have a bunch of extra canopies and other parts to trade.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Chris Knight posted:

Upper right, is that a 4228 blue inverted? I've needed a replacement one for my 6297 All Terrain Vehicle, for basically ever since mine originally came with a warped one.

Yes it is, taking a closer look it is in really rough shape, all scratched up. If you still want it PM me your address and I'll send it out for free.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Bought a few LOTR sets and they were all assembled...until I dropped the box. So much brown and grey :doh:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
The MF sits right in my sweet spot of nostalgia. I was 7 or 8 when the first movie came out and I've gotten into Lego as an adult. After buying just whatever looks cool for a few years I've settled into a few sub-themes. (Besides the bulk stuff I buy/sell on Craigslist). The MF is definitely something that should be a must buy. I can afford it and it looks awesome but don't think I can convince myself to spend $800. Its kinda nuts.

Guess I won't have the next size up to go with these guys.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

The_Doctor posted:

You're missing one.

Thanks for the reminder I have a link to the instructions for that one floating around, have to get around to building it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

djfooboo posted:

I always regretted not getting the CMF Monsters. How bad are they secondary market?

Waltzing Along posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LEGO-SE...9QAAOSwawpXt5sC

Not bad. Not sure what they were at retail but the markup is minimum. $70 for the set isn't bad at all. Approx $4 a figure.

I have some for sale on Craigslist https://newjersey.craigslist.org/clt/6280485553.html. Used but great condition, you get the goon discount for $3 a figure + shipping. I have the complete series except for the zombie business man and the plant guy.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I picked up another box of mixed sets from Letgo for $45 a few months ago. Not as great a deal as that last $50 collection (don't think I'll ever beat that). I picked it up for the #4483 AT-AT legs I saw but it had about 30 sets of different types. Besides the typical Star Wars sets it had these hockey guys and Mars Mission sets. The real kicker is this Dino Attack chopper, the thing is massive. Don't think I'm keeping it but it was fun rebuilding it.

Here's the photo from the ad

hockey guys

Mars sets

Bad-rear end helicopter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
By the way, those astronauts in the Mars Mission sets are assholes. They've got these things that they pin the Martian down on so they can put them in the orange prison tubes on their ships. You know it's not going to end well for them.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 16, 2017