Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Read the words, Kaladin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:hmmyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't know if you didn't catch it but this needs spoiler tags

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NikkolasKing posted:

So of Sanderson's works, I've only read all of Mistborn and Stormlight. Even then, Mistborn Era 1 is significantly more brutal than Era 2. As I noted earlier, Era 1 does not shy away from rampant, unambiguous descriptions of violence and sexual violence.

Is this just a product of the times? Sanderson appealing to the Fantasy market of the 2000s and maybe stepping outside his comfort zone? Or are other works of his similarly non-sanitized in these areas?

The first third of Warbreaker, uh,

My partner and I listened to it on audiobook ages ago. We felt physically ill because it's (this isn't spoilers, as a matter of fact it's a content warning) a protracted, extremely detailed walkthrough of the terrifying life of a young girl traded into an arranged marriage per a postwar treaty, all power imbalances, threats, and sexual expectations included. There's eventually a twist, but Jesus H. Christ this was an extremely uncomfortable book to listen to for HOURS.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Torrannor posted:

Realmatic theory: Crucially, the corpses of Devotion and Dominion being stuck in the cognitive realm, where distance does exist, is the reason why AonDor is so location dependent. Investiture likely returns to the spiritual realm upon being used

'Scuse me, someone called for a plumber?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regarding Ghost Kelseir's position at the head of a huge shadowy organization, The Last Empire makes it clear that Kelseir's original success as a thief had nothing to do with magical power. He was the apex predator of the Scadriel underground purely due to his leadership qualities.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Imo Sazed is in denial about his true nature

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can't believe Steve Jobs died of

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CapnAndy posted:

For the record, the clues are that Hoid mockingly calls Thaidakar "The Lord of Scars" and notes that, if this uppity behavior continues, he may have to go administer another rear end-kicking. The list of people whom Hoid has beat up has exactly one name on it.

Pretty sure he beats himself up all the time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:911:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mordiceius posted:

When are we going to the Shardblade graveyard?

How far along are you? Do you actually want to know anything about this?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Favorite book: Oathbringer

Favorite Magic System: Forgery

Favorite Radiant Order: Edgedancers

Favorite Cosmere Characters: Teft, Breeze, Shai

First Sanderson Book: The Gathering Storm The Final Empire

Favorite Sanderlanche: A Memory of Light Oathbringer

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 9, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Arrath posted:

Oathbringer has the best sanderlanche, don't even try to pretend otherwise.

Did he always look so small?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunzie posted:

Feels pretty likely to me that this is a false dichotomy and there will be a secret, third option - our heroes will just have to find it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tunicate posted:

shallan IS chanarach, she had a mental breakdown when killing her daughter and out of grief and guilt convinced herself she was shallan instead

Full Stormlight I now need to very carefully reread Rhythm for any hint that she feels connection to the other heralds.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CapnAndy posted:

pik can I interest you in This 100% canonical bonus chapter in which the deepest, most closely guarded secrets of the Cosmere are revealed for the first and only time

Jog my memory, is there a moment somewhere where a soulcaster is reaching out to or briefly touches a stick?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yeah wait for Saladin to start actually putting some brain cells together on what he specifically can offer people who are suffering like him

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

at least it ended pretty fast

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

smackfu posted:

Thanks to the thread advice, I’ve been reading Mistborn Era 2 after Oathbringer and enjoying it. Is it correct that I have to read Rhythm of War before the last Mistborn book for some spoiler reasons?

I don’t really want to do that.

Not really, 90% of us read Hero of Ages years and years before RoW.

Whoever gave you that impression is making up their own pickiness about how and when you should be asking questions about the interconnected nature of the magic and people of the Cosmere.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lawnie posted:

Surprise! Malazan is now in the cosmere!

just to be clear, this is a joke right

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

scrolled past your post and had a god drat panic attack

Jesus don't even joke about that holy shiiiiiiit

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you're paying a lot of attention to whatever the everliving hell is going on with Shallan, and that's good

no amount of attention will be too great. tracking her story almost requires a conspiracy theory wall with yarn and names and pictures and dates

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

socialsecurity posted:

You'll be happy to know there is a ton of Bridge 4 merch out there, if that is your thing.

I have 200-ish points of ultramarines sitting around here somewhere

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DarkHorse posted:

I know Brandon wanted the first letters of the book titles to form a ketek but "The Knights of Wind and Truth" felt clunky besides the obvious problems of the sounds not working right either, it seems like he decided to simplify it and give up on that.

There's also no reason the in-universe book couldn't be The Knights of Wind and Truth

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Way of Blings
Words of Sapience
Oatbinger
Theorem of War
Trimmed and Couth

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Louisgod posted:

Seems like the perfect cosmere book to read to my kids given its innocence and charming characters.

UHHHHHHHHHH I hope you're not reading it to them blind, it doesn't seem like you've gotten smacked by the I'm just kidding, it's lovely all the way through

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

funkymonks posted:

It feels like it would take a Dawnshard to mend a splintered shard. Rysn muses in chapter 19 of Dawnshard:

“The will of a god to remake things, to demand they be better. The power to change.”

attitude adjuster

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hoid, pre-shattering

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pik_d posted:

Huge mega big spoilers (technically a Rhythm of War spoiler if you look closely enough)

https://www.tumblr.com/cosmeretrek/740853920130351104/link?source=share

"so indecent!" I'm dead

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Narsham posted:

Two more pieces of SA speculation that bubbled up out of my head while reading the December 23 part of the thread. SA spoilers only:
We know Kaladin’s parents. We know little about Hesina’s family save that they were high-ranking. What if she’s related to Taravangian? That would make Kaladin related to Taravangian, and might restrict Odium’s ability to mess with him in the future.

That would be such a massive bummer for Kaladin that it almost seems likely.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

WoR - Chapter 34

And now Shallan somehow has a shardblade. Okay. What the actual gently caress is happening.

strap the gently caress in, you're gonna need more red yarn

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mordiceius posted:

"Well, buddy, the answer is -"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DarkHorse posted:

Prison break Kung Fu Hustle style in Emperor's Soul

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I think that one way to approach Kelsier is that he had proper perspective and adjustment many aspects of his life but wildly extreme or psychopathic lack of...proportion? in others.

Everyone has blind spots; Kelsier has quiiiiite a few. That doesn't mean he can't be a good mentor or genuinely love the people close to him. People are complex.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Well of Ascension - Chapter 22

LOLOLLOLOLLLL Breeze was actually banging a King’s daughter. What a chad of a man.

remember his full name

just remember it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this has to be a joke

I checked, it's trivially not accurate :/

it would also make no sense in many languages

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm rereading Stormlight.

oh yeah, Shallan has that portrait of Taravangian

So that's a thing :stonk:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

quote:

Renarin - I want more time with him. There's some weird poo poo going on with him and his spren

I feel like Renarin has to be slow rolled a little bit because, just from the surface, truthwatchers do some absolutely incredibly crazy poo poo

edit: and of course without spoilers, there's cause to believe his crazy poo poo is going to be even crazier than the usual crazy poo poo

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 15, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Nope. It was never explained. So I guess we wait for Book 5.

I hope so. I forget where the tentative plan for each titular main character was provided, but apparently the plan is for book 5 to be Szeth's main book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I have finished Rhythm of War and I can now talk all Stormlight Spoilers! Praise the Stormfather!

I found this wild theory in the comments underneath the Prologue video. I have to agree.

Taln never broke :dukedog:

Let it be known that the planet broke before the guard.