Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Psycho Mantits posted:

I know I should probably not be in this thread since I'm a total Sanderson novice, but I just wanted to say that I'm up to Chapter 9 of Way of Kings and am loving loving it so far. Easily the most engrossed I've been with a fantasy series since The Dark Tower.

Welcome to the club. Way of Kings is a fantastic book, but buckle up because it only gets more insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Psycho Mantits posted:

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Still getting a handle on the characters and world but I think my favorite thing about the book thus far, beyond the "magic and giant swords" stuff that appeals to me in the same way Final Fantasy and Dark Souls does, is Sanderson's prose. His style is easy to read while also being very engrossing. Makes the prospect of getting through a 1,000-page book (and several-thousand-page series) much more manageable.

My last dabble with a full fantasy series was The Witcher, which I finished and very much enjoyed overall but still struggled to get through parts of, since the plot meandered and the language (likely due to being a translation) felt stuffy at times.

To me, at least, Sanderson writes his books like a TV Show or Movie. It is straightforward to read and flow with. But when you start discussing what you read, use spoiler tags and tag the appropriate chapter. We'll love giving you bits and pieces to keep you going. And tell us all the predictions you make.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 66

So Moah is now a shardbearer. Indeed, this does not backfire, right? Also, it's cool to see Adolin coming around to Kaladin and locking himself up in the prison with him. That may end up being a deadly duo if they end up fighting together.

Also, I love Sanderson tells us (the readers), "So Shallan has a shardblade. No idea where or how she got it, but she does have one, and she knows how to use it." So overpowered.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

What sort of backfire were you expecting?

Giving Moash, the guy who wants the King killed, a full armor set and shardblade surelyyyyy won't backfire, right? Right??

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Ah, I see. I didn't know if you were afraid of a repeat of what happened last time Kaladin earned a set of Blade and Plate.

Hahahah..I'm a little terrified.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I reached the end of Part 4 in WoR and...

Here. We. Go—the assault onto the plains. Kaladin lost his powers and Syl. Shallan knows how to find the Oathgate. Somehow, Kaladin and Shallan still don't know each other's true powers. Ahhh, poo poo, this ending is about to be insane. Also, a green gem heart is new. I wonder if that is significant.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Side note: I heard you can read Oathbringer without having to worry about callbacks or Easter eggs to other books within the Cosmere universe. Is that the same for Rhythm of War?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

WoR - Chapter 84

"I will protect even those I hate..So long as it is right!"

Chills. Literal. loving. Chills.

Kaladin Stormblessed is a Knights Radiant. Ohhhhhhhh shitttttt. The way it all happened. My god. I see this scene playing out like Thor's transformation in Thor: Ragnarok where he suddenly feels worthy of his immense power because he realized he needed to be the person who would do what was right for all of Asguard (link for said scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LZU7TdvWA.)

Goddamnit, I love this book so much.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I finished Words of Radiance, and I have some thoughts, opinions, and predictions:

• Thank you Adolin for killing Sadeas. He was getting on my nerves. However, I think Ialai will become a problem since she ran the spy network and set up the assassination attempt.
  • Shallan will have to come clean to everyone about Veil. The Ghostbloods seem to be after much more than getting to the lost city.
  • Speaking of Adolin, it must suck that his brother, dad, cousin, and wife-to-be are all Knights Radiant. Why was he left out?
  • Renarin is in a position where he will become the leading man soon. Truthwatcher... so he can see the future?
  • Jasnah Kholin is back from the dead. Did she go to the Tranquiline Halls? Shadesmar? Who knows, but she seems to know way more now than before.
  • Wit is a God, or maybe the Satan of Roshar. He knows everything.
  • Szeth will become an anti-hero, isn't he? A blacl shardblade while learning from Nin. Yeah, he is a menace.
  • Taravangian seems also to have some powers or his blessing/curse from the Nightwatcher is hugely power. Hopefully, justice comes for him.
  • The girl with all those Awesomeness powers will be a Knights Radiant at some point.
  • BOLD HOT TAKE: All of Bridge 4 will get Stormlight Powers. They deserve it.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Wow, these are some cool predictions. You're quite wrong on some, and quite close on others. I think you will really enjoy Oathbringer.

I guess the Stormlight Archive books are your first Sanderson books? Sanderson has this big shared setting called the Cosmere. So his Mistborn books for example are set on a different planet, but it is possible to travel between these worlds, even if such travel is difficult and rare. There's some crossover, and SA is planned to be his big crossover series. But the books stand very well on their own, you won't have any trouble understanding things for not having read the other books. If you decide to try Sanderson's other works, I cannot recommend Mistborn high enough. And you should also definitely check out Warbringer, which you can read for free on Sanderson's website.

Back to Stormlight Archive, after Words of Radiance, Edgedancer comes next, both chronologically and in publication order. It's about that girl who's Awesome. You can safely skip that novella if you want, but you might be interested to read it anyway. And between Oathbringer and Rhythm of War comes the novella Dawnshard.

It's been a blast to read your posts. We always love to see new readers enjoy Sanderson.

I’m quickly breezing through Edgedancer. Then it’s off to Oathbringer.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Backed the Leatherbound campaign for Words of Radiance. Missed out on TWoK but I will not miss this one.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm sad that my alarm did not go off this morning. Missed out on the numbered edition.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

CapnAndy posted:

Jesus, maybe I should write a dozen bestselling, incredibly well plotted fantasy novels. Seems like easy money.

Brandon writes a short novel and gets a multi-million dollar check. Light work.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

big mean giraffe posted:

To be fair his 'short novels' are longer than most people's regular books. Dawnshard is a 'novella' and was 269 pages/55k words.

If I could, I would place money on him finishing ASOIAF

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Anyways, I am getting through Edgedancer. I like the non-serious tone this book has compared to TWoK and WoR. I just got to Chapter 3. Cool to see Lift navigate through Roshar with Wyndle with her 'Awesomeness.'

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ojjeorago posted:

He's said multiple times that he wouldn't because he's a completely wrong fit tonally and that Joe Abercrombie should do it.

I never heard of that. Then again, I’m new to Sanderson so I gotta go back and look at all his memorable quotes or sayings. I have not read anything Joe Abercrombie but judging by his last name, that would be a perfect fit.

big mean giraffe posted:

He'd be awful to finish that series and has said he wouldn't want to.

Honestly I think that series just has too many loose plot threads and it'd be a herculean effort to sort them all at this point let alone wrap them up in a way that fits the GRRM books.

Why the show went south at the end. Can’t do much.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Edgedancer - Chapter 12

Mr. Sanderson, why are you using the illustration of a man's dick tip to describe a building? Jesus Christ... Out of left field, too. I could not stop laughing at that for about 5 minutes.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I finished Edgedancer. That was a fun read. Life and Wyndle seem to be a fun duo. Which order will she fall under? Guess I will have to read to find out. Also, Nale is a broken man who doesn't want to be inherently evil.

Now, it's time to start the beefy boy Oathbringer.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

pik_d posted:

What Orders do you know so far?

Spoiler based on information you already know from Lift's Words of Radiance Interlude and the book Edgedancer. She's an Edgedancer.

Whoops, I need to go back over my notes. The orders so far that I know(From TWoK, WoR, and Edgedancer):

• Skybreaker (Nale, I think?)
  • Lightweaver (Shallan)
  • Bondsmith (Dalinar)
  • Truthwatcher (Renarin)
  • Edgedancer (Lift)
  • Windrunner (Kaladin)

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

big mean giraffe posted:

You can really tell he grew up as, and still is, a true fan at heart. None of the merch he does is cheap junk and he puts out a lot of really nice premium editions, along with doing so much to fight for small authors

I recently got a bonus paycheck. I have some bags of his on the way.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Chapter 7

Orodium. Child of Peace. Kaladin's baby brother's name sounds eerily close to Odium. But that is such an excellent image. Kaladin is hovering two feet off the ground, blue stormlight emitting from him, with Syl as his Shardspear. Then he just flies off. You should've just stayed loyal to Kaladin, Laral.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Well, I'm not wrong. :colbert:

She reminds me of my teenage sister. Not giving a single poo poo about the world and wanting to travel.

Minus having a spren who makes vines and turns into a rod/pole.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Finished Edgedancer

Absolutely delightful. I felt like it started off a bit slow and just when I thought I was close to hitting the point where I would lose patience with Lift's antics, things turned awesome.

- I feel like the "lol Lift is a quipy teen who takes nothing seriously" really lures you into to a false sense of understanding with her character. Her self-reflection toward the end hits that much harder. Genuinely made my heart break.

- Sleepless, huh? That sure is loving horrifying. Goddamn Brandon, is there something you need to talk about? I get the sense that the Sleepless aren't native to Roshar, but who knows if they're from something I'm missing. And maybe my suspicions are wrong, but I feel like they're not going to be massive players in the Stormlight Archive, though they will have the occasional presence. They feel like something created and inserted here as a tease that can be expanded on as part of some other series.

- Nale. I still don't like him. Dude has a broken brain but gently caress you for making your suffering other peoples' problem due to your own arrogance. Nothing drives me more crazy than someone who are completely rigid in their beliefs and actions.

"Hey, what is the main reoccurring theme of the Stormlight Archive?"

"Well, buddy, the answer is -"

Also, yeahhhh..

The old man made of cremlings made me tense up. That is a terrifying image. Jesus Christ. Replacing any body part at will and has to live in a dark alleyway to let his bodyparts mate and grow. Sheesh.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Chapter 8

So, there are Radiant combinations and tandems that, when combined, get new cool powers. That is sick.

Dalinar + Shallan = 3D Map with Topography.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Anshu posted:

Speaking from experience, my money's on "misheard the audiobook," actually.

Ding ding ding

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I'm not sure how the hell I will be able to read all of the Cosmere because Daddy Brando Sando continues to release new books.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Dodging walls of text like a ninja. Guess I gotta power through 3 books to get caught up.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

It is going to be loving bonkers around here when SA5 comes out.

I will finish Stormlight by then. So I'll be good to go dropping walls of text that new readers will have to dodge :lol:

Anyways,

Oathbringer - Chapter 10

Pattern said, "No Mating!" So no one in this thread can have sex for one night. Don't disobey the cryptic.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Chapter 19

I love how casual and unbothered Dalinar is in this flashback. He gets pissed off about himself that he lost his favorite knife that he decides to go for a casual stroll during a highstorm from one bunker to another, then when he can't open the door, he uses his shardblade to open said door, promptly scaring his men. Then, when Teleb doesn't turn up the knife, he closes the door, sees a glowing figure (most likely the almighty himself), flips him off, then enters back into the feast hall bunker soaking wet, then sits down even madder.

I aspire to have this mentality when I couldn't care less about something during an event.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Listened to the Oathbringer prologue today. UMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Buckle up cowboy. This only gets more crazy.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

DarkHorse posted:

It's definitely a highlight scene for me

Even better is the foreign dignitary is flabbergasted and Gavilar is like "yeah that's just how my brother is, any doubts about how formidable we are now?"

I stopped reading for a bit right after that scene because I was laughing so much at the bizarreness to it only to read the end of the chapter….

Dalinar is a unbothered, freak of nature. He’s also a madman. Using the knife that was gonna kill your brother as a steak knife is batshit insane.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Finished Part 1 of Oathbringer

First off, welcome back, Jasnah Kholin. Although the book doesn't explicitly say it, I will assume Wit is now in Urithiru as well since he waited for Jasnah to return to the beach at the end of WoR. I wonder how her dynamic with Shallan will be, considering Shallan saw her die and now has somehow risen again.

So that means there are six(?) Knights Radiant now in Urithiru:
  • Kaladin
  • Malata
  • Renarin
  • Dalinar
  • Shallan
  • Jasnah

I wonder how this plays out. Also, where the hell is Lift? She and Wyndle should have heard something about an ancient city led by the Knights Radiant.

Shallan seems so overpowered. She came face first with Re-Shephir and did not back down. She made the spren fear her. She looks like the most potent Radiant so far.

Also, what's up with Renarin? All Renarin ever does is freeze up in shock, write down binary code, and act like a little wuss. Man up and show me your powers, boy. You're supposed to be a Truthwatcher. Please show me the truth!

I'm intrigued by where Oathbringer is going because I am still determining where we could go. Deeper into the mountains and all the vast and unknown rooms and whatever lies awaiting there? All the voidbringers took over a city. Now what?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

The progression of Oathbringer is all over the place. Definitely lesser of a read than Words of Radiance, but it's still very good.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Louisgod posted:

Mods?? Ban this mofo

I've upset the Sando Bros. Uh oh

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

ConfusedUs posted:

I mean, on the one hand, Words of Radiance is probably the most consistently awesome Stormlight book. Everything just flows. It's probably my favorite of the Stormlight books, even if most of my favorite scenes are in Oathbringer.

The flow of WoR is so good with so many good scenes. I'm about 46% done with Oathbringer, hoping to finish by next friday.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Work has been getting the better of me, and that led me into a reading slump because, apparently, our bodies need eight hours of sleep. Anyways,

Finished Part 3 of Oathbringer

Thoughts and Opinions:
  • Kaladin. You are a bitch. You let Elhokar die to Moash of all people. Pathetic...
  • Shallan. You aren't as much of a bitch as Kaladin, but it is pretty clear you need to accept who you are and stop pretending to be other people.
  • Adolin: Continue being you. Handsome. Majestic. Funny.
  • Azure: You're incredible. I don't know much about you besides the fact your shardblade doesn't make people's eyes burn out, but hmmm.
  • Dalinar: What. The. gently caress. You led a jihad on a city and took your wife with it. I was not prepared for that entire scene. Wow.
  • Although the book doesn't say it, RIP to Skar and Drehy. Noble lads o7

Predictions:
  • Wit gets revealed to be a God or a Demi-God. He constantly shows up at the right time and place, disappearing into thin air. Hmmmmm.
  • Adolin becomes a Knight Radiant in Shadesmar. Elhokar almost became one before Moash drove a spear up his eye. So, the entire Kholin family has Radiant in their genes.
  • Jasnah breaks out our heroes from Shadesmar since we know she can go back and forth between the realms.

Bold Hot Takes:
  • Renarin uses his truthwatcher powers between Acts 4 and 5, revealing King Taravangian as a murderer and genocidal king.
  • Epic final battle descends on Kholinar.
  • King Gavilar is a psychopath who wants to bond all the unmade spren to royal cabinet members and bright words.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Torrannor posted:

Oh, you have no idea what awaits you. These predictions are very good, some of them are even mostly correct! But where you are wrong, you will be amazed by what actually happens.

By the way, you really ought to read Warbreaker. Imho it's optimal to read it before Words or Radiance, but you very definitely should read it before Rhythm of War. The e-book is free on Sanderson's website even!

It’s gonna be read right after Dawnshard. I got a good TBR going so I can fully enjoy RoW.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Louisgod posted:

lol I don't know why this made me laugh so much

As a therapist once said: “Let the past die.”

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Oathbringer - Part 92

It would be so badass for Szeth to become Judgement manifest and kill King Taravangian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I have finished Oathbringer.

Final Thoughts:
  • Dalinar Kholin went from only being able to relive visions and bond stones back together to COLLIDING ALL THREE REALMS AND RENEWING STORMLIGHT! The Bondsmith class is OP Asf. plz nerf
  • Speaking of that, that entire scene was epic. What a goddamn Oath.
  • I will have to wait until Rhythm of War to find out if Kaladin will swear the fourth Ideal.
  • Shallan and Adolin finally got married. It took them long enough.
  • Teft the Radiant.
  • Gavinor, Skar, Drehy, and Shallan's castaways live. That's cool.
  • How the hell do the Ghostbloods know about Sja-Anat? They have to have Grade-S tier spies.
  • So Renarin can see the future. This should be a godsend. Hopefully, he can see Taravangian actively plotting with Odium.
  • Speaking of King Taravangian, he needs to die. By the hands of Dalinar, Szeth, Jasnah, someone, please kill this old hag.
  • Jasnah, Queen of Alethkar. Not that it matters since Kholinar is being held by the Voidbringers but it's something, I guess.
  • I guess Wit saved the spren that would've bonded with Elhokar at the end? So, that does make Wit a Lightweaver???

I'm not going to go straight into Rhythm of War. My current TBR is:

All of Mistborn > Mistborn: Secret Histories > Dawnshard > Warbreaker > then finally RoW.

I want to take a detour since I've heard so many raving things about Mistborn and some bombshell easter eggs in RoW. I would have dismissed it if I hadn't read all that fun stuff.

This ending didn't leave me as excited as when I finished Words of Radiance, but I was more intrigued, if that's the right word. I am still determining where the story goes from here. With new radiants and new powers, Odium still lurks. Moash is now Vyre and wields an honorblade. . It's setting up for something, but I'm not sure what exactly. Oh well. I will find out in about a month when I finish my TBR.

E: Added one more point.

A Sneaker Broker fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 23, 2024