Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Pretty much all the podcasts I listen to are already mentioned (Jordan, Jesse, Go, The Best Show on WFMU, You Look Nice Today, Doug Loves Movies, plus Comedy and Everything Else and WTF sometimes). A couple I haven't seen mentioned:

Stop Podcasting Yourself: A couple of Vancouver-based comedians who usually have a guest on and talk about their lives. Really funny, and recommended if you like JJGo and YLNT or other similar shows. This one and The Best Show are the two I listen to first whenever a new episode is released.

Grandma's Virginity: I just started listening to this a couple of episodes ago, and they're only on #12 so it's still early. Also 3 people sitting around talking, but I find it really funny. There are characters occasionally, which I liked (for reference, I didn't really care for the episodes of CDR I heard but love Wurster's characters on The Best Show)

It's pretty hard to describe podcasts you like, isn't it? Hopefully some people will check these out, though, because they're both pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

COMPUTER SECRETS posted:

Lil' Gary is the best, followed by Ice T. I cannot get enough of his failed business ventures. I hate that food critic they've had a couple of times though.

The episode I listened to had the food critic. Maybe I should give CDR another chance. I need a longer commute so I can keep up with all these shows.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
As a fan, I can understand the criticism. There are times during JJGo where Jesse gets stuck on an opinion or something and it brings the humor down a bit. He's definitely more of a host than a comedian, so if the guest isn't funny or doesn't interact well with Jordan it can keep the episode from being great. It's still a rewarding listen for me, but as of right now I wouldn't say it's in my top 3.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I miss the Best Show :(.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Mister J posted:

Yeah, what's the deal? I know he was talking about quitting a few weeks ago, but I assumed he was joking . . .

I'm assuming it was planned and he was just trolling the audience. I know Tom's had stuff going on like the Matador Vegas stuff and Gonerfest. Plus the WFMU schedule was just released, so if he really was quitting TBS probably wouldn't be on there.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
So glad The Best Show is back, though I'm still waiting for it to be up on iTunes. Also, I checked out Podcast Eating Challenge on this thread's rec and I like it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

NecronSchmecron posted:

I thought this was done on Jordan Jesse Go! a while back and it was determined to be stew.

I think this new podcast is just those old segments cut out.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I turned 2 people on to Podcast Eating Contest today by playing them Michael McDonald Game clips.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

I made this the other night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zNNVbdoyEQ blow it up and spread the word!

Yeah, that was one of the things I found actually. I haven't gone through the back episodes so I hadn't heard it before, so I listened to it at work with a friend and he was hooked so then we listened to the new episode. Then I played both clips for my wife and she thought it was hilarious, too.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Re: The Podcast Eating Contest
It's a bummer for you guys who can't get past the belching. It's just "a thing". It's funny and endearing. Like I said, I think it's funny that people seem to get so worked up over it. If you were just sitting around with your friends and one of them belched would you have a fit and leave?

From what I hear their Christmas Extravaganza is going to be wild!

Yeah, it never would have
occurred to me that people would have such a strong reaction to the burps. I don't think they're hilarious or anything (though the guys' reactions are often) but I consider it a natural byproduct of them drinking and having fun. PEC is definitely in my top 3 at this point in any case.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I can understand thinking it's not funny, but do you guys really come close to vomiting when you hear burps? It seems so innocuous. I mean, different strokes for different folks, but it never would have occurred to me if I hadn't read it here.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

brainsforbrains posted:

It's someone belching directly into your ear, not from across the loving room. Ask someone with you right now to belch right in your ear and tell me it's not really a big deal.

Maybe that has something to do with it. I always listen in my car or on computer speakers.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Ok, this is weird: I got word from Reilly that if you guys that hate the burping can think of some other subtle running gag and they like it, they will forego the burping totally throughout 2011.

Also, he said that there's no belching for at least the first 1/3 of the Christmas Special.

I'd also like to give a shout-out to all the impotent Teamsters!

Ha, yeah I had just emailed him last night and he said the same thing. Also, on my suggestion he said they may start taking audience submissions for the Michael McDonald Game!

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
And who thought standing on stage reading old tweets off of your phone would make good TV? Too bad they couldn't have just made a Doug Loves Movies show or something.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
If anyone wants to see what Spike from The Best Show looks like, here's a youtube video he posted. Don't click if you want to keep it a mystery.

I wasn't expecting him to be black. I always pictured him looking like Tobin Bell or something.

I hope my mental image of Larry the Perv never gets spoiled.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Banned posted:

Don't want to poo poo up this thread any more than I previously had, but if any of you are still curious about the tale of Dan Nainan, I made an update to my blog:

http://dearnotabby.tumblr.com/post/2944268339/i-know-everyone-is-tired-of-this-poo poo

I'm embarrassed I let him get to me like that, but whatever. I already clicked send.

edit: I'm just going to post a separate thread. Go about your business as usual, pardon the interruption.

If it makes you feel any better, it looks like they didn't let his Filet Mignon rest enough before serving. I also love the fact that he's trying to make you jealous of his Chocolate Sundae dessert (with the works!).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Wyld Cannon posted:

Today's CDR was a instant classic. Paul F Tompkins and Tom Scharpling are amazing together (Check out their two parter together on Comedy And Everything Else if you enjoyed it). I don't listen to the Best Show, but I would assume PFT has been on before. Are there any standout episodes that anyone can suggest?

Check out 7/21/09. It features PFT in studio and the infamous "Gathering of the Juggalos" segment.

https://happyvalleynews.wordpress.com/tag/the-gathering-of-the-juggalos/

Incidentally this was the episode I started listening, and I've been hooked ever since.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Sorry! At least there's a consensus.

The one thing I would say about The Best Show is a lot of its humor is based on long-form jokes and repetition from week to week, particularly the Jon Wurster bits. It's not Arrested Development, and you don't need to start at the beginning to get anything, but I think the longer you listen the more rewarding it is.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Maarak posted:

let me rephrase then, the link on that page for the actual episode with PFT talking about the juggalos doesn't work for me.

Here you go, Best Show Archives. The Juggalo bit starts around 1 h 27 m on 7/21/09.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah, I'd rather download it at home and listen to it because streaming at work is frowned upon. If anyone has a working MP3 link or the file itself, please share it :(

edit: http://files.dropbox.com/u/280367/bestshow-tom_and_paul_ponder_juggalos.mp3 I found a 24 minute clip of them talking about it, but would rather hear the whole show.

Full show (haven't downloaded this so can't vouch for the contents etc):

http://www.mediafire.com/?2121tjdnudd

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

Is the latest Doug Loves Movies hosed for anyone else? It's like i'm listening to it on shortwave radio underwater.

Yep, me too.

Edit:

Doug on Twitter posted:

Bummed to find out that the audio on the new #SXSW ep of DOUG LOVES MOVIES is poo poo. Will pull it and try to fix asap. Sorry everybody.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 18, 2011

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Best Show this week was awesome. I wish Rob Schrab took questions as I was very curious about his experience making the Scud video game for Sega Saturn

If you're interested in hearing more Rob Schrab interviews check out Grandma's Virginity episode 29. He's on for over an hour and tells some great stories (and some pretty gross stuff).

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Decline posted:

Tom Scharpling is taking the week off and it looks like we've got "Man and Wackiman" filling in. I find Wally Wackiman a bit annoying - it usually seems like he's trying to push his own gimmick at the expense of the show. He's not all bad though. I'm a big Hatch fan and really loved his old show on WFMU. The dude knows his disco.

Wackiman can be really funny - I love when Tom flusters him and he starts losing the voice. I usually skip the fill-in episodes and use it as an opportunity to catch up on my other podcasts, though.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

shotgunbadger posted:

Oh, well ok then, still weird that someone in entertainment can't handle that stuff.

Maybe he just meant he can't take control of the show and shut up the heckler as well as someone like Louis CK would, not that he can't handle it emotionally.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Stop Podcasting Yourself is a good '2 guys talking with a comedian guest sometimes' podcast. I like it better than JJGo, actually. I don't listen much anymore, but I would if I had more time in the car.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Zohn posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jnxmmm2jrmm

For everyone else who has an irrational hate of Jesse Thorn, may I present to you the lost episode of Jordan, Jesse, Go. Basically in a nutshell, last year the Penny-Arcade guys were on a book tour and were told they were going to be interviewed by "the Sound of Young America guy". So they show up to Jesse Thorns house, are forced to wait with him an hour before Jordan shows up, and what follows is one of the most venomous and awkward hours in podcasting history.

At this point accounts vary, but basically from what I understand Gabe and Tycho called him out on being unprofessional and such, Jesse Thorn refused to release the episode citing quality reasons, then briefly put it up to calm the forum flamers, then pulled it again, and then finally Thorn and Gabe and Tycho all sort of washed their hands of the thing and moved on with their lives.

I'm not particularly a fan of Thorn (used to listen to JJGo but haven't in about a year) , but I've listened to that episode and imo the Penny Arcade guys come off way worse and less professional. Of course, I'm no PA fan either. It was probably just a bad situation due to miscommunication, but I think the lesson we can all take away is don't trust your publicist and know what show you're going on beforehand.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Zohn posted:

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. The PA guys basically act like assholes in order to purposely derail the show because of a perceived slight, and I find the end result absolutely entertaining.

Yeah, considering how it was buried, when I finally heard it I was surprised how listenable it was. If I didn't know the history I would have just assumed it was another show with guests who didn't match the tone of the show (see: The Uhh Yeah Dude episode). Of course, I also don't know why you would have someone on your comedy podcast who you've never really met before.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Whats this mean? I know what Nerdist, Todd Glass and Hardwick all refer to, but it doesn't make much sense.

quote:

(There is going to be a) Nerdist-linked Todd Glass-hosted podcast.....Hardwick you beautiful bastard.

I think?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Which episode of The Best Show features Four Loko? I've just started listening to this show, and I love it.

2010 holiday party, 12/14/10. The previous episode had just Mike drinking it and is also funny, but this episode is epic.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm curious, does the Best Show use that 6 minute long repetitive intro every single time? I listened to one and it wasn't for me so I moved on, but I find it really weird that people bitch about 30 second gig plugs in other podcasts but this show has had nothing but praise, despite having easily the longest and most annoying intro I've ever heard in a podcast

That was the first thing I thought the first time I listened. Holy poo poo, this show has 3 theme songs? If the episode I listened to didn't have Tom talking before the themes like he sometimes does I might have never made it to the good stuff. It's really hard to skip on the WFMU app, too, because the timeline is so small and it's a 3 hour podcast. Luckily I usually download it so I can use the <<<30 second feature on my phone.

Actually, most podcast streaming apps I've tried suck and lose your place. I think This American Life finally fixed it so I actually use that one. It's nice to free up the space on my phone, but then I would have to take a screencap whenever I get out of my car so I can get close to finding where I stopped.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

GuitarJunkie posted:

For someone that uses "stupid" and "dumb" no less than 5 times to describe someone, you should have at least spelled psychadelic right.

drat it, internet. I can't tell if anyone is joking anymore.

it's psychedelic

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Decline posted:

I like Wally Wackiman, but Z Man gets on my nerves. I read the Friends of Tom boards and the fragility of his ego is pretty surprising. It's not personal, but sometimes it seems like he thinks Tom and the show owe him something.

That said, the last two episodes have been fantastic. Tom's talk of demon summoning was hilarious.

Yeah. I do think it's hilarious that when Wally gets flustered he starts talking more like Z-man, but then a couple of weeks ago when Z-man called in and started getting worked up he started sounding like Wally.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

wafflesnsegways posted:

The latest episode of The Indoor Kids is hilarious. There's like 30 minutes of Starcraft talk, which I didn't understand. Then around the 40 minute mark, a really awkward husband-wife conversation (or non-conversation) comes out of nowhere, and it's amazing.

Yeah, that was pretty great. I was on the 3rd episode catching up but I skipped ahead to hear the awkwardness. I wasn't a big fan of Duncan Tressel Starcraft chat, though, and I'm not interested in hearing another discussion on sex vs violence in videogames. Other than that I've really been enjoying this podcast.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Mogambo posted:

I have to disagree with the praise for the latest episode of Indoor Kids. The guest was an enormous douche and the gushing Starcraft fanboyism was loving unbearable ("Starcraft is the only real game, everything else is for babies.") Then he went into his "whoa look at how deep I am" stoner theories at the end that I turned the episode off. Huge disappointment after the great Tom Lennon and Paul Scheer episodes.

Yeah, that dude was pretty annoying the whole time. Like I said, I'm starting from the beginning so I was hoping this was an outlier rather than a general decline in quality.

"Starcraft gives you skills you can use in real life"

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
What the hell is wrong with Pete Holmes? He and his ridiculous "Haaaaaaaaaaaa" laugh almost ruined the last Doug Loves Movies for me.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

HateTheInternet posted:

Does anyone recommend a particular point where I could jump into the Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling? Is starting at the very beginning advised? Archives go back over a decade and it looks pretty daunting.

Nah, I wouldn't start at the beginning. In addition to probably never being able to catch up (1500 hours and counting), I've listened to the first episodes and they're pretty different from what's going on now. They're interesting, but Tom was still in the process of forming his radio personality. I'd just jump in - though this week's episode is #500, and while I haven't heard it yet it may be kind of self referential for a first-time listener. It may take you a few episodes to get into the rhythm of the show and start appreciating the recurring references, but once I did it became pretty much my favorite thing in the world. The 7/28/09 show is coincidentally the week I started listening and it's widely considered to be a great one, so if you just want a taste to see if you'll like it, that's a good one to try. (don't get too attached to Paul F Tompkins, though :smith: )

Finally, yes there are really 2-3 theme songs in a row at the beginning of the show. It makes more sense during the live show when Tom plays music at the top, but they have to cut that out of the podcast for licensing reasons. Just skip the first 5 minutes or so.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I haven't listened to JJGo in a while, but I still make sure to check out Jordan Morris episodes of Indoor Kids, etc.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

SKULE123 posted:

What were the digs at PFT like? I know I should be listening to the Best Show.

Like DangerDummy said, they were pretty cryptic. Mostly just an extension of his riffs on LA podcasting culture, some things about friendships ending and how sometimes it's not up to you, etc. Anyway, it seems like they've both moved on.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Beeez posted:

Is it really a "shtick"? I haven't listened to a ton of The Best Show, but part of the reason I haven't is because he seems like a legitimately obnoxious person who has a real cult of personality around him. Sorta reminds me of Adam Carolla with less ignorant political opinions.

Yeah, you can really tell the difference when you hear him on other shows. Check out some of the shows he's done with Marc Maron, etc. That said, obviously the persona is a big part of the show, so if it doesn't agree with you then you probably won't be a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Red_Museum posted:

As far as reasons for putting the podcast up late, Dave from Stop Podcasting Yourself has a pretty good one this week.

http://t.co/t7NNPINp6Z

Yeah, holy poo poo indeed. I started listening to the episode on my run this morning and it's a good one.

• Locked thread