Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've been getting into The Champs lately. Really entertaining podcast that feels refreshingly outside of the Earwolf/Nerdist family by simply having guests of color. Hosted by Neal Brennan and Moshe Kasher and punctured throughout with sound clips from Tim & Eric/Portlandia's DJ Dougpound.

Guests have included J.B. Smoove, Sasha Grey, David Allen Grier, Flying Lotus, Lexington Steele, and Blake Griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

But don't you see, one time Chris Gore yelled really loud in a restaurant and they APPLAUDED him and that's why Improv4Humansis4Pussies (that never happened).

I only listen to Improv4Humans based on the guests, so I was dying with laughter at the Eric the Paid Intern compilation episode. He is a cartoon character.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thomas Lennon going to town on that dumb big rock at LACMA on one of the new Pod F. Thompasts is the best.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Hey Bros. Heads up, just listened to a podcast with this broad from Groundlings who was a founding member of SNL. She wasn't funny to me, so clearly she doesn't know how to improv. Either that or she's old.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

New The Champs with Chelsea Peretti and Riff Raff. Can't wait to listen.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

indigi posted:

It was a decent episode cause of the Chelsea half but I hate guests like Riff Raff and JB who come in and can't say one actual thing for the entire show. I guess it's funny at first, but that's not why I love the podcast.

Yeah it became kind of a mess. Which was a shame because Chelsea actually let her guard down for once when talking with Moshe about creepy fans. I'm sure most people unaware of Riff Raff hate him after that episode, but you could tell he was playing it up after hearing Moshe and Neal (mostly Neal) ask him condescending questions. The part where Neal wanted him to finish his lyrics as a game was cringe-worthy.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I tried to get into Chelsea Peretti's podcast but the callers are terrible and walk all over her.

Are we listening to the same podcast? I don't think any of the callers got in a word until like 4 or 5 episodes in when she addressed that some people thought she was being too mean.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Chelz is hilarious, but IMHO it's very easy to see why some people don't like her. You either hate her or love her. She's abrasive and an rear end in a top hat and whiny but unless you listen to her long enough and realize these are just a few of her many defense mechanisms against most social interactions, then you're just gonna think she's abrasive and whiny and an rear end in a top hat.

On a related note, I got free Laugh Factory tickets this Wednesday and she's on the bill :parrot:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Al! posted:

Sometimes I can't tell if the guests on Improv 4 Humans aren't very good improvisers or if they're just on some next level poo poo that I can't begin to understand.

The lack of audience really hurts it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Pete Holmes is a fantastic stand-up and seems a like a genuinely nice dude. But he also seems like the most insufferable person ever and I would caution you from comparing yourself to him. I subscribe to YMIW but in 2012 it dropped from essential listening because WHO HAS THE TIME to listen 150 minute-long podcasts about THE SAME TOPICS every time. I saw one was uploaded in January that broke 3 hours. I'm sure there were some awesome conversations about how Pete lost his religion for the umpteenth time or how There Will Be Blood was a good movie.

I did listen to the latest YMIW which was funny. But the best part was hearing both Kumail and Emily loudly sigh when Pete said they should stop talking about a subject because it was "too showbizzy." Chelsea posted on Instagram pictures of him wearing sunglasses inside a restaurant at Sundance and I was like "yeah that makes sense"

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 12, 2013

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

A question only podcast nerds would come up with: Which hosts are the pitchmen during commercials? If I'm driving or doing the dishes, I won't fast-forward commercials.

I give the title of best pitchmen to the Sklars. I feel like they were 1920s boardwalk salesmen in red and white striped suits in another life. Worst is Kulap whenever she does a "voice." Her Jackee sounds like someone drowning, not a sassy black woman.

And, have any of you ever used Legal Zoom or Stamps.com?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Call Chelsea Peretti was great this week. Adam Scott should join the podcast permanently.

I was just gonna post that Adam should be permanent guest host. He has kind of the same personality but he's less mean and calls her on her poo poo.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Politicalrancor posted:

Because Maron is a bitter rear end in a top hat and Pete Holmes is an affable nice guy?

Haha yeah that's how television works, everyone.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

soru posted:

You think Marc Maron being completely insane and impossible to deal with doesn't affect his opportunities to get work?

For the first 25 years of his career, yeah. Now? Well, he has his own TV show and is THE elder statesmen in comedy so I think he's doing alright.

Also, to whomever said at least Pete Holmes made cable: IFC is cable.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

3 hours would fine if Pete ever discussed something new. I feel like he's slowly turning into Hamburger or Shucky Ducky with all his forced catchphrases and laughter.

People can talk poo poo about Dane Cook's stage persona and act all they want, but at least he isn't like that in conversation. Pete is Dane Cook's act personified.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Ultimately a lot of comedians got down on TJ for giving Dane poo poo in a public forum when Dane claims he was 'trying to work out new material.' When Dane went on Rogan's podcast, Deathsquad of course got involved and everyone shat on TJ for a while. TJ apologized, I think Dane apologized, too.

It's not entirely dissimilar from the Jay Mohr/Bert Kreischer incident, but that one is weirder.

Exactly. It's one thing for an audience member, who admits she's never been to a comedy show, to go interrupt Daniel Tosh and write a Tumblr post berating him for a joke. It's a WHOLE another thing for a colleague to do it. I thought TJ was 100% entirely in the wrong in that situation and I bet you he regrets it.

Whether you're an audience member or fellow comic, if you have a problem with what's being said on stage, talk to them like a man and have a conversation. Don't live tweet or tumbl or any of that nonsense. Especially when there's no video evidence so it's your word vs the comic who everyone loves to hate (but the comic you won't ever admit that you laughed their rear end off to Harmful If Swallowed in high school).

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I tried to listen to his podcast even semi-regularly I probably wouldn't be able to stand him.

Weren't you the dude like a month ago who said you were like Pete Holmes and posted a list of the reasons why?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

If you guys haven't jumped on the Doodie Calls poo poo-stained bandwagon yet, now's the time. This week's episode has 3 hilarious poo poo stories from UCB's Anthony Atamanuik and it's only part 1 of a two (heh) parter. It's a good palette cleanser after listening to men pretending to be giants of the early 20th century literary world.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Binowru posted:

Man, I think I'm about ready to give up on Sklarbro Country/County. Same jokes over and over, unfunny characters (except for James Adomian), and Dan Van Kirk is painfully unfunny. I'm torn about this, as this is a podcast I've listened to from the start, and I still love the Sklars as comedians. I just wish their podcast was, I dunno, better.

I've been skipping County unless the guest is really good.

DJ Dougpound quit The Champs. Scared how the show will be without his drops or innocent questions amongst the talking of his more boisterous co-hosts.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That Gallagher episode of Probably Science was about as nutso as I imagined it would be. Even though he sounded crazy on WTF, I cut him a little slack because Marc did ambush him in an angry Air America way in the manner he avoided when say, Patrice O'Neal spoke about women. But when he's going on about Mexicans, he just sounds like a crazy man on the sidewalk. He could be making lots of money on Fox News if he was a little more stable.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The live ones are the only ones worth listening to anymore. The one with David Angelo and Morgan Murphy was pretty loving funny.

Then I made the mistake of listening to David's solo episode which is basically Pete Holmes learning what currency is as a man in his mid 30s.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Killer line up on You Made It Weird today.

It really was, but I got creeped out by Pete calling Chris Thayer "Weird Boy" over and over and over again. I know he's just kidding, but it felt very uncomfortable by the 18th time he referred to a friend, who remained silent through a 2 hour show, by some jerky nickname. I wanted Chris to say something back to cut the tension, but like Jeselnek said: It's hard to be friends with your boss and vice-versa.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

cross-posted from the recommend podcast thread:

Is there a podcast where working TV writers talk about the craft and relevant industry news? I listen to several podcasts (Writers Bloc, Nerdist Writers Panel) that are interview-based, but I'm looking for something along the lines of John August and Craig Mazin's Script Notes.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I haven't seen @midnight yet, but it's sure made going on Twitter during the time it airs unbearable this week. Just a whole lot of unfunny hashtag games like #badcereal

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The Barry Katz one is fascinating because Katz is a fascinating guy. It's more of a serious discussion though, if that sounds interesting at all give it a go. It's pretty short too, compared to the usual Todd Glass shows.

e: Oh and you get to hear the story straight from Katz about when Todd lived in the entryway of a house and would walk outside every hour to pee because he didn't want to climb the stairs to the bathroom, I'd heard him tell that story on Jay Mohr's podcast I think.

Barry Katz has his own podcast which is pretty good if you're into really inside showbiz stuff. He interviews executives and agents/managers and producers and writers and gets lots of really great guests. This week's is the dude who produced Duck Dynasty so I skipped it, but in the past he's had people like the creator of Saved By The Bell or Chris Albrecht, formerly of HBO.

I can never figure out Katz personally. He comes off as such a likable and levelheaded guy, but every comedian talks poo poo about him. Jim Bruer understandably did so on the latest WTF because of the Buddies disaster, but Maron was piling on him as well. He used to have such great clients (commercially, critically not so much) but lost them all except Jay. Frank Caliendo left him after his show ended. Dane Cook left him after he discovered his brother swindled millions from him. Whitney Cummings left him after her show ended. Chappelle and Louis CK were once clients too. If you look at his current client list on IMDBPro, he would probably be on the streets if it wasn't for the 10% he gets from Jay Mohr. It's like Bill Bellamy and Cheri Oteri.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

So I assume you prefer just the two of them and a guest? Because that's what Country still is. County is DVK+non-sports stories.

I agree that Country is still better in the old/current format. There are plenty of "crazy police blotter" stories on other podcasts.

County might as well be spun off into DVK's personal podcast. He seems like a nice dude, but I don't get why he dominates that podcast. Nobody is listening to it to hear him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I wonder why Kindler never makes fun of David Letterman and Marc Maron but always goes after Leno and CK. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the first two employing him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Dancing Potato posted:

I bailed on the Casey Wilson episode after about an hour when it seemed that it was only going to be about meditating and eating froyo. The problem isn't so much the length, it's that Pete's become so consumed with work and his obsessions that every episode hits the same topics.

Also when he tries to force the conversation when the guest isn't into it. I too turned off the Casey Wilson episode after an hour. He would bring up something about meditation, Casey would say "Yeah..." or "Mhhhmmmmhm" and Pete would charge headfirst into a bit he thought up of on the drive to Meltdown.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

roach cum puddle posted:

Ranman Liedtke baked a cookie that looked exactly like an iPhone then drove around pretending to talk on it so he could get pulled over then take a bit out of it in the cop's face. Ended up getting pulled over while live-tweeting the whole experience of being brought to the slammer for unpaid parking ticket warrants.

After the whole Pace thing, I don't believe it for a second. A photo of a police station and a cop car behind him aren't enough for me, especially when you add in all the @replys he's made to websites telling them to properly credit him for the prank.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

You guys ever seen the Modern Comedian with Todd Glass throwing a dinner party? If you like cringe humor, you'll love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtBujEncAg

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

It's a high cost I think because Graham and the CFN are hiring an entire crew to do the documentary. If this was just passionate podcast fans who work in the film/tv industry, the cost would be a hell of a lot less because they know how to edit and shoot and own or have access to some semi-decent equipment. Still, 135k is a lot for what will essentially be 150 sit down interviews in Los Angeles cut down to 120 minutes.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

That's awesome, although according to the clip Ice-T didn't have the fake Ice-T call up OUR fake Ice-T. The fake Ice-T called our fake Ice-T on his own and then sent it to the real Ice-T.

Coco got a big rear end.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The last 4 episodes of her complaining about Los Angeles have been unbearable. Poor you, getting paid to write dialogue for the gay characters in Mulaney for 3 months in sunny LA instead of looking for the next print/internet writing gig in the frozen snow-covered wasteland of NYC.

edit: That was a little harsh. But as a local, I can't stand when out-of-towners come here to make money and then complain about the "People in LA" when what they really mean to say is "The ultra homogenized above the line mostly-white people I interact with inside the entertainment industry"

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 9, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

To be fair NYC is better than LA.

I love NYC. But I would never want to live there in present time unless I was rich or had rich parents.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anyone listen to last week's You Made It Weird with some former Nickelodeon star? She talked a lot about her short-lived relationship with Detroit Piston Andre Drummond and how he sucked at kissing and just a lot of gossipy private stuff. Well, TMZ picked the story up yesterday and all of a sudden today, her nude pics leaked.

I'm not saying it was Andre... but then again, he did put up 17 points and 26 rebounds tonight so he's definitely feeling something.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Are you guys scared Earwolf is going to eventually charge you to access the archives a la WTF or something?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Yeah the Apple Podcast app was straight garbage when first released. But 2.0 came out around the release of ios7 and it does everything it needs to. No switching to iTunes to search for podcast either.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Shnooks posted:

Eugene Mirman has a podcast? I had no idea.

What's it called? He also co-hosts like every other episode of Neil Degrasse Tyson's Startalk.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I've had a free subscription to Rolling Stone for the last couple years (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415037&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1). In that span, I have yet to see them give a score lower than 2 stars to a single album. That's the magazine you guys are mad at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Don't judge it by the sneak peek, every show has a bad trailer. I don't even know why they try to drum up publicity with those. "Pilots are never that funny... Let's take all the out-of-context punchlines and cut them together!" I wish networks would put some money into producing cinematic teasers a la FX. Doesn't matter if it's Louie or George Lopez's latest corny sitcom; they make me interested, at the least.

• Locked thread