Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

wafflesnsegways posted:

Ugh, Judge John Hodgman was super awkward this week. A family dispute that quickly dropped the dispute and just turned into an ugly family argument.

Yea it kinda dropped from 'oh ha ha brothers being brothers' to 'oh so yea you guys have some legit issues you should work out' about half in.

I really liked his guest bailiff though.

SpacePig posted:

Oh, no. That doesn't sound promising. I was happy to see a new episode in my list this week, but this doesn't sound good.

Well I personally found it funny regardless, just kinda a heads up that I hope you like chuckling at an awkward family dispute being dragged out on an internet comedy podcast. It's nothing TERRIBLE like horrid family secrets coming out or anything, it's just about half in the brothers kinda get this undertone of 'no, seriously, gently caress you man'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I did listen to the Flop House Bratz episode and I gotta admit it was ok but not outstanding. These guys laugh at their own jokes a lot and I think one named dropped Jon Stewart. But I also listened to their Wolverine episode and enjoyed it, I think I might need to get used to their style. Any other episodes you would recommend?

In fairness the Jon Stewart namedrop comes from the guy who works in the Daily Show. I love the Bratz episode but Wolverine is great too. Swing Vote was another good one, and Devil. I think I am Number 4 and Gooby and The Roommate were good. Also, that one about the serial killer at the sorority where they kept calling one girl 'Chugs'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Don't feel bad, Kevin Smith looking like a crazy child is always funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Like I said, one step away from being an IMDB commentator. Despite being a huge fan, I don't follow him on twitter for that exact reason. He's over it by now though, Cop Out is his new whipping post over Jersey Girl.

Didn't he do a whole dumb thing over Red State where he basically held a non-auction for production rights, only to give it to himself? He did something crazy with Red State that was meant to be a 'nya nya' to 'big hollywood' or whatever.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
How on earth can you be a dick to Demetri Martin? That man is like a human kitten.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eltoasto posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't like being covered in comedy jizz.

It really is the most appropriate ad, I mean what else happens after five minutes of a dude violently jerking it in your face?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lemmi Caution posted:

Seriously though, all their guests sound about eighty years old, and I am not a young man myself.

If you are not Bob Odenkirk you aren't getting away with it.

For someone obsessed with people hitting some 1999 MTV standard of being hip you sure are pretending the only way to consume media is to just channel surf/turn the radio on and listen to random local stations. Most of the guests go 'yea I'm into (genre)' and all, and then yea when the charts have someone not of (genre) they don't know the work. That's totally reasonable and normal these days. I'm into a lot of music and all and I have no clue who's on the assorted rankings and where.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hahaha what guest judges every week? How is that fair at all? If you didn't say 'Earwolf' that description would make me think some no name network of podcasts decided to do a guest-pull by doing a contest or something, that sounds so bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Maron is a legitimate scumbag dude and I have no idea why his 'style' is so loved. It's like if Barbra Waters somehow had less charm with his obsession with trying to force his guests to talk about how horrible and messed up they are, even ignoring legitimate good paths to focus on 'so really, are you an alcoholic, you know when I had a problem I didn't think I did either...' and sub-tabloid level interviews.

Maybe I'm tainted because my path to him went from hearing on interviews what a poo poo he is, hearing his standup and thinking he's not bad, and then finding WTF and rolling my eyes every five minutes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maarak posted:

David Spade manages to be funny for the first time I've noticed in years on this week's Todd Glass podcast. I was actually sad when he had to leave early!

David Spade actually can be funny when it's just him no script, he gives me the impression that he as a person is pretty witty and funny, but he just takes any role he can get and isn't one to rock the boat so he winds up doing a lot of poo poo roles.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

j8910 posted:

Check out David Spade on "Comedy And Everything Else" to see him being funny and awesome.

God yes, this is part of what got me to go from 'oh that dude on terrible sitcoms, gently caress that dude' to 'oh that dude who is horrible at picking good roles, yea he's actually funny'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Justin made a post on Sunday night about Skype crashing and causing them to lose a recording. I'm assuming it's related to the late schedule.

Yea there was also some monday tweet going from one of them saying like 'we're trying to get it uploaded maybe tomorrow', so obviously technical issues rather than moneyzone/question drought, which is the better option!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Same, they're great impressions but without another person trying to hold back laughter asking Cake Boss the difference between a cake bug and a cake virus to play off they lose a lot of 'oomph'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Why do people always get so worked up about the guests on Judge John Hodgman? I've listened to them all, and I've never gotten upset about one of them, the Cone-Hipster, the carry on girl or even this weeks.

Because usually when they're not the dumbest problems in the world, they're dumb people trying to be funny and so quirky but not realizing they're not funny.

Hodgman himself rules hard and is hilarious, I just finally unsubed because I can't stand enduring painfully unfunny people between the legit funny people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Disco Godfather posted:

White people problems, literally.

Yea like I get the goof is that he's 'arbitrating' over a meaningless problem and all but loving seriously how many hipsters can I listen to argue if crudite is an acceptable snack for ironic dodgeball team meetings?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
We Hate Movies and Flophouse are two of my favorite podcasts I listen to regularly. They're just so great at taking apart horrible movies while being able to talk about more than just the movie.

Speaking of, How Did This Get Made, I hear it improved a lot? I listened to the first like...fiveish and while I adore the people attached to it I just couldn't stand their shouting over eachother and literally using literally every literal sentence literally, but according to a friend who actually turned me on to We Hate Movies, they've gotten a lot better. Is that true? Where's the point when they turn good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea that was my issue with it too. I just identify easier with 'yep, watched this lovely movie, it was awful!' than 'OH MY GOD YOU GUYS THIS MOVIE IS THE WORST THING EVER AND IS JUST SO INSANE LIKE HOW DO THEY KNOW THEIR PLAN WILL WORK WHAT?!' It blows because Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas own so hard (if you've never watched The League, fix that, they're both in it with other hilarious people) but if I kept listening to HDTGM I'd have to start hating them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think the best moments of Complete Guide to Everything involve when someone says something terrible to the other and there's this second pause before the music. It's a short little stinger to make a joke funnier to me. But like above, I don't mind jingles and often enjoy them, so yea I can understand a dude who doesn't like them going 'agh this blows'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

My favorite Complete Guide To Everything cutoff was when Tim suddenly interrupts with "Did you just loving wink at me" Tom "No..." *music*

It's that or the one where Tim goes "Well that'd be why you don't get invited anywhere" and you kinda hear Tom start to say something before *music*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So ok, I've been feeling like giving things second chances lately, and one of those has been Kevin Smith. Smodcast is huge and dense though, so like, what shows are good, and what episodes of them are good 'first show' kinda things?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bango skank posted:

The first dozen episodes or so of Jay and Silent Bob get Old are pretty good if you're into hearing about the hosed up poo poo addicts do.

As a former addict I am into that! What's the tone though, is it like soul crushing 'yep ruined my life' or is it more like 'ok I've accepted this part of my history and can joke about it'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bango skank posted:

It's done in a joking manner cause Mewes is pretty much clean now and they do a running tally of the days since he last used at least in the beginning. The story about Mewes spending fourty minutes(something like that) in Smith's bathroom taking out all his poo poo and then hiding it over and over because he keeps thinking Kevin's standing outside the door is hilarious.

:getin:

That's good, I knew Mewes has been pretty clean and all so it's nice he's able to joke about it now, so Jay and Silent Bob Get Old, anything else in Smodcast family stuff extra good?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

My favorite episode, Crapture has been made into a Smodimation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCkbrNne3t4

Well this is great. I just listened to the most recent one and ya know, it's a lot better than I remembered. Smith is one of those dudes who he is funny but he's also a real prick at times, so I guess it's just a matter of finding the shows when the funny outweighs the prick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Trujillo posted:

I saw Brett Gelman last year at the Traverse City comedy fest on a show with Jeff Garlin and Aubrey Plaza. Even though it was a comedy festival it was Traverse City so the room was probably 80% old white people. Brett Gelman thought this would be a great place to read iBrain. I Can't even describe the look on the face of the 90 year old accordion player who was the only other person on stage until Jeff Garlin came out to cut him off. I think the people of Traverse City are too weirdly polite to walk out because I don't think anyone did but that was the most tense I've ever felt a room. The second show was a younger crowd though and he read the whole thing, which I'm not sure he's even done on any podcasts.

I love Gelman, so much, so very much.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I can't speak to fustercluck, but the funniest thing I've seen on itunes in a bit is mistyping it as 'flustercluck', finding just one match, a podcast called Flustercluck! with the dorkiest thumbnail ever, with one episode from last year, with one one star review reading simply "Garbage! Phooey!".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

quadrophrenic posted:

I wanna throw out a recommendation for Throwing Shade, the new MaxFun podcast, with Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi. Erin is a lady, Bryan is a gay, and the podcast deals with issues that relate to ladies and gays. Not only is it extremely funny (Bryan is a very quick wit, and Erin is a great straight-man) but it's also surprisingly deep and smart, which I attribute to the general hostile atmosphere towards ladies and gays that has been hanging in the air this election season.

I think I knew I loved it with the last episode, in which Bryan Safi became the only person in any media outlet, serious or otherwise, to actually point out some of the hypocrisy of the Invisible Children anti-Kony group. Funny and smart poo poo.

Gonna agree with this, never heard of it before the Maxfun thing, but I'm in love with this stuff.

Bryan's raw disgust and outrage when the tampon toxic shock story happened, and in the show after it, was just so hilarious, as was their exposure on 'butt chugging' and skunk harassment. But yea, even without their hilarious jokes, they're two very well informed, witty, people and a delight to listen to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If you're holding back on We Hate Movies, the last two episodes have been amazing.

Someone should make that movie podcast megathread, there's enough to cover for a general topic thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've gotten sick of Walking the Room, between them using it as a place to bitch about their personal stuff, their 'open and honest' stuff is mainly just being bitter/hateful about anything around them. At least when podcasts like A Mediocre Time do it they usually splice in some jokes and general 'well life isn't so bad really' stuff to break up the stuff.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FitFortDanga posted:

We have a WTR thread. But don't post there, because your opinions on things are terrible.

Well fine then I'll talk about movie podcasts, jerkass :colbert:

Just got into Bad Movie Friends ( http://bmfcast.com/ ), and now with this I think I have more movie mockery/discussion podcasts than any other topic? Anyway it's hilarious, it's similar to We Hate Movies in most of the humor is in them describing stupid things and then just picking it apart as stupid rather than improv bits and all. Their site even has previews of some of the episodes so you can just see from there if you think they're funny or not.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

I heard that one, and it seems like the show could be really good. Jesse Thorn still constantly steps on people's jokes and isn't nearly as funny as he thinks he is, but the show still managed to be pretty funny in spite of him. He seems to have pretty good taste in comedians, because most of the Maximum Fun shows are really great.

Yea the worst part of the show is Jessie jumping into things mid-joke with his own half-assed bits, but that kinda goes with a Jessie Thorn podcast. I actually like him a lot on his own or with a partner that knows his 'timing' better, but it bugs me in International Waters.

That said, it's still a hilarious podcast, and I'm super happy to see Maximum Fun expanding well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Poopy Palpy posted:

Timing gets hard when you have to work with a half a second of round trip transatlantic latency.

You know, that's a valid point.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FitFortDanga posted:

I don't mind a few minutes of advertising on the hours of absolutely free entertainment Earwolf provides for me every week.

No one is complaining about the ads as a concept, it's that they're so hamfisted and just kill any momentum in a comedy podcast.

Moneyzone is the best example of ads done well, give them money and let them hock your stuff however works. At least with Smodcast stuff and all it's right upfront and you can skip over the ads, but if they're in the middle of your show they better actually be fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Teenage Fansub posted:

How Did This Get Made just did an episode with Danny Trejo.
I haven't listened, but look how tiny he is!

Hmmm what is stronger, my total love of Danny Trejo or my utter apathy about How Did This Get Made.

Speaking of movie podcasts that I actually ENJOY, We Hate Movies is doing Cocoon this week, and it fuckin rules so hard. So many great Brimley impressions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Auritech posted:

Yeah, because Whitney Cummings and Maria Bamford have the exact same act. Aren't we at a point where enough women have proven that there isn't a "women's comedy" thing at all?

Also, as much as I love Sarah Silverman, Amy Schumer's stand up is, in my opinion, better at doing what Sarah used to do, but I guess Amy isn't precious-cute like Sarah sometimes defaults to. I hated Jesus Is Magic because those jokes of hers only work the first time, and the crowd is almost absolutely dead throughout most of it unless it was supposed to be some Sandra Bernhard-esque performance piece I didn't get.

Amy Schumer is absolutely Sarah Silverman but better in nearly every way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nemo posted:

The plaintiff in this week's Judge John Hodgman must have come from TVIV.

Is it a spoiler to be told that Aaron Paul won an Emmy for the third season of Breaking Bad because it tells you his character survives that long?

These are my favorite JJH's, the totally unreasonable insane poo poo being treated deadpan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nerdist stuff is the one of tamest, safest, geek podcast networks out there, them 'going corporate' won't have much effect, I imagine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Does anyone else listen to the Vinny Brusco Show? I only found it after We Hate Movies plugged them last week but I love it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asterios posted:

I'm a guest comedian this week on the Maximum Fun podcast International Waters. It's a game show where Jesse Thorn quizzes US & UK comedians about each other's pop culture.

http://www.maximumfun.org/international-waters/international-waters-episode-6-half-fictional-fluffy-cat-rabbits

You ruled on that, dude. I love International Waters to begin with but you were really good!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ariong posted:

Has there been a post about The F Plus yet? Because if not, I might write something up.

I think it's been tossed around here and in a few PYF threads with overlap but no one's really done a big writeup. You totally should, it's an awesome podcast more people need to get in on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bunnybread posted:

Well I was recently given this account as a gift (as you can tell by the post count).
There might be some other readers that dabble in these forums but I'm pretty sure that Isfahan is the veteran goon.

It's good to hear the love about the show. I can also answer questions for a big write up if anyone needs it.

Is there anything 'off limits' that you think is just too depressing/terrible, or is it basically a Thunderdome of poo poo?

• Locked thread