Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
One thing I can say re: Magical Melody: DO NOT buy the Wii port. It is the most loving terrible thing and the only difference is that they pulled out the ability to play as a girl and added in gimmicky motion controls. Those really are the only differences: they didn't even bother changing the text ingame that referred to the buttons on the Gamecube controller.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure you can't play with the gamecube controller plugged in, either (though other than the motion controls which aren't necessary, playing with the wiimote isn't too bad). I'd recommend to anyone interested in the game to get the Gamecube version instead.

doggiebiscuit posted:

After playing the original I jumped back into the series with Friends of Mineral Town. I'd be very willing to play a game like that again but from what I've read all the others involve weird gimmicks that have turned me off (like Rune Factory's monster collecting).

Twin Villages looks like it might capture the kind of thing I like most about HM but I'm still skeptical since these games are huge time sinks. Any recommendations for what's out/about to be released?

Harvest Moon DS or Sunshine Islands might be what you're looking for. The only gimmicks they add are the requirement to free harvest sprites or collect special stones before you can do certain important tasks.

I'd probably recommend 'Harvest Moon DS Cute'. I felt it was pretty close to FOMT in terms of gameplay and the general feel of the game, although you can't get married until you 'free' 60 Harvest sprites (which can take a few years ingame). Cute also fixes a few horrible bugs with the first HMDS game, although a fixed copy of the game was released if you're intent on playing as a dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
^^^

I'm in Australia and have been looking everywhere for a copy of Animal Parade! The only stores shipping internationally have it listed at ridiculous prices (well over $100USD including shipping) or have been out of stock for months. If you're willing to part with it, PM me :)

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I have another question, I want to play some Harvest Moon on my PSP. Should I just rip and play the PS1 version of Back to Nature on it, or should I get the Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl port? Or should I get this new leaf valley game?

See if you can find any info about the load times for the port. I've been thinking of picking it up since the load times were absolutely infuriating on PSX; if there was a substantial difference I think it would be worth it. Hero of Leaf valley has been getting some pretty good reviews too.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

I married Griffin in Harvest Moon Cute and he's the best choice. :colbert:

So I fell asleep playing the original Harvest Moon last night thanks to my last post, and I couple of questions.

I've heard that the fence is meaningless and if you have no wood posts at all the game never does the "whoops your chickens escaped/got eaten!" check after it rains since there's no rotting wood on the farm.

Also, what gives you more energy: Sitting in the hot springs, or rapidly jumping in and out?

My boyfriend wanted to know why I was marrying "an old Mexican dude" when he spotted me attempting to seduce Griffin. He told me Gustafa was a better choice. Excuse me, but I am not marrying a hippy dwarf who lives in a tent.

I think staying in the hot springs is the better option, energy-wise. It's also the only way to unlock a particular harvest sprite, since it requires you to sit in the spring 200 times for at least 1 hour each time.

I'm still trying to track down a copy of Animal Parade, too. :( I found a cheap copy on eBay with a seller who promised "international shipping" yet for some reason refused to ship to Australia. Every other copy I've found goes well over $100 including shipping, and even I am not obsessed enough with Harvest Moon to pay that much. I've heard the game was discontinued (but can't find anywhere confirming it), which would explain why no online retailers seem to have the game.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Revol posted:

Only guys who are lying to themselves about their sexuality would marry Popourri. It's time to come out of the closet, Fishylungs.

What does it mean if you are a girl and marry Popuri? :ohdear:

She was the first girl I ever actually married (in FOMT), but in Back to Nature I went for Mary. I don't even know why I married Popuri, except that it was easy to give her eggs every day - I thought she was vapid and childish (but so cute!) Mary and Karen were the best bachelorettes.

MFOMT was the doctor of course. In Animal Parade, I don't know who I'll marry but according to the fogu.com forums (which are atrocious, don't go there unless you absolutely have to) the Wizard and Chase are by far the most popular bachelors.

Speaking of Fogu, even if the forums are populated by 12 year old girls who write yaoi fanfic about the characters, the main site is pretty good if you need help with something.
http://fogu.com/hm

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

It's weird, I remember having a hell of a lot of fun playing HM64, but then I got Rune Factory because (at the time) everybody said it was the best HM game to get on the DS. I finished the game to justify my purchase, but at every turn I would get pissed off by some really stupid game mechanic. Farming was basically pointless, since the very first cave was perma-spring with no disasters and strawberries were by far the most efficient crop. So there was no reason to use your main farm unless you needed a specific seasonal crop, but even then the caves were a better choice. Combat was boring and the crafting system was complete pile of poo poo. So many of those items were useless, mislabeled, and/or disorganized that I just looked up a FAQ to tell me what each item actually did before wasting crafting components. There were a ton of items that were the first recipes you learned but couldn't be made because a component didn't drop until the last dungeon, by which time you had way better items. Dialogue in the game was completely retarded and most of the music was grating as hell. It was like they had 20 groups design independent parts of the game with no contact to each other, then slapped it all together and called it a day.

Uh, I'll just stop my rant there. All I wanna know is if I should bother playing another DS HM game. I played a little bit of RF2, but it seemed like more of the same. Should I just give up on the series and hope that Minecraft ends up with a robust farming system?

Rune Factory is pretty different from regular HM titles. Only the RF games have combat and dungeons so if those were your main complaints you should try one of the regular games.

Friends of Mineral Town for GBA is a favourite title of many people if you're willing to go back a generation and I've heard it compared to HM64 a lot (most of the characters are the same, but play different roles). Otherwise I'd recommend Harvest Moon DS Cute (because most copies of Harvest Moon DS are very buggy, but you CAN get a fixed copy if you'd rather play as a dude) or Sunshine Islands, but both have game mechanics that piss off a lot of people so look into them first if you're worried about wasting money.

Also, your avatar is my favourite from the Minecraft thread. :3: Didn't someone buy it for Hard Clumping originally?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Well, I guess I'm looking for HM64, only better. From what I've seen of Mineral Town, it seems like kind of a port without much added content. Is that sequel(remake?) More Friends of Mineral Town better? Do HM DS and SI manage to gently caress up different things, making each one better in some ways and worse in others, or is one essentially 'the best'? I'd go by reviews, but Harvest Moon games seem to exist in this weird netherworld where professional reviews have little bearing on whether I'll like the games or not.

Well, Mineral Town is more like a port of Back to Nature which was a port of HM64 with the characters switched around. They each build on the original in a few small ways, but if you're looking for something radically different you're probably out of luck. What can you really do to improve the "farm stuff, date girls" genre other than "farm more stuff, date cuter girls"?

You're right about reviews being useless. I'll have to link to Fogu again, since it offers pretty good rundowns on game mechanics and you can look around for the one you like best. Personally I like having cute distractions that add nothing to the core gameplay, so I'm really looking forward to dressing up and taking my pets for walks in Animal Parade... some people prefer deep character interactions or the opportunity to micromanage huge farms.

HMDS and Sunshine Islands both require you to collect things to unlock core gameplay features (for HMDS, you rescue sprites, for Sunshine Islands, you collect sun stones to raise islands). You collect them by performing tasks like watering X squares or befriending Y villager. I found Sunshine Islands was less tedious and didn't take as long to collect stuff but there's no way to check which tasks you've completed so I had to keep a spreadsheet to remind myself. In both games there is plenty to do without raising islands/rescuing sprites but I felt the first was a fun task to work towards where the second was just a lovely way to stop you marrying too early (you need 60 sprites to get the Blue Feather and propose).

Also, Sunshine IslandsIsland of Happiness adds a really finicky weather system that is not in any other HM game except Sunshine Islands. In the last thread a lot of people kept spreadsheets to keep track of how much water/sun their crops had received because if you're not careful you can kill off your entire field by being careless.

And that is more words than I ever want to write about pretend-farming. :colbert:

naptalan fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 24, 2010

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Whoops, you're right. My bad. For some reason I thought it wasn't in Island of Happiness (which I've never played).

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

quote:

Did a little bit of testing. I planted a group of turnips, watered each once a day, and gave differing amounts of fertilizer(1 fertilizer a day). The seeds and fertilizer where both 1/2 star rank. Since turnips take 5 days to grow with 1 water a day, I could only test up to 4 days worth of fertilizer, but the results were interesting. I will do some further testing.

What happens if you don't water your crops? Do they die, give you lower-quality crops or take longer to grow? If it's the last one, can you use the extra days of growth for more fertiliser and thus higher quality crops?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Dimix posted:

When they said don't litter they meant it.

I was wondering why the hell I was losing hearts and apparently you lose 100 FP for throwing stuff in the river according to the fogu forums. I lost 600 FP with everyone in 8 casts. loving boots.

Was this in the older HMs? Last I played was on N64.

Yeah, it used to be that throwing fish in the sea would make you lose hearts with all the bachelors in More Friends of Mineral Town, and since the rival marriages wouldn't happen if you had too many hearts some people used this as a quick way to get them all down to zero. Littering on the ground has always made you lose hearts with every villager, I think, but that might be different in Grand Bazaar now that items don't disappear when you drop them.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I've heard good things about it. It doesn't suffer from the slowdown in crowded areas that RF2 does and offers several small improvements like a difficulty setting for combat. But if you're on the fence about it and not a huge fan of the RF games to begin with, I'd say go with RF2 which is fairly solid.

If you do get RF3 though, make sure you give us a proper review when you've tried it out. :)

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

LordSloth posted:

Thanks, Revol and Higgs Boson.

You guys probably know all about this, but I didn't see it in the OP, or hear about it recently...
http://harvestmoonforever.blogspot.com/
This guy has several guides up.
http://grandbazaarfreyashawk.blogspot.com/

I did hear about the fogu thing from here and looked it up. Site doesn't work for me though. Edit: at least for grand bazaar

Freyashawk is great, she's been writing guides for years. I used to use her Friends of Mineral Town guides, with all the recipes and heart event locations printed out and sitting next to me for reference. When I saw there was a Freya in GB, I was wondering if it was a nod to her by the translators or something. She replied to someone else wondering the same thing:
"Natsume promised to name a Character after me some time ago. Whether Freya is that character or not, I cannot say for certain but they never told me she wasn't!"

It's kinda sad, actually. She's hinted a few times at a "physical condition" that leaves her in horrible pain all the time. Playing Harvest Moon is how she distracts herself from it, which is why she's put so much time into writing up guides.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Being one of the few people in the world who have actually played it, I wanted to do a writeup on Shepherd's Crossing 2, but I guess I'm too lazy. But one of the crazy things about that bizarre game is that you butcher your own animals and eat them. One of the first things this weird girl does when you meet her is kill one of your geese it in front of you and cooks it.

What a weird HM-like.

I was thinking of writing up a recommendation post/thread too, actually. It's got some problems, but it's still quite fun. The food system REALLY annoys me though. I'm nearly always running on empty for main dishes, while my side dish bin is rarely below 90. Why can't I just eat twice as many side dishes and be done with it? And why is meat nearly always a side dish? I'm pretty sure I could make a dinner out of an entire chicken!

The pacing is a little weird in the game too, because sometimes you'll just skip through weeks in a matter of minutes. I'm 10 years into the game and I've just knitted my first bedcover. I need two to marry Giles, I think, which is going to take another 10 years probably. :(

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

Thankfully your RP increases quickly because there's levels for everything including walking and sleeping, all of which boost your RP and HP.

There's a sleeping skill?

I am gonna be the best goddamn sleeper ever.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
So I just did the Shara/Monica requests for the "Rose Prince". It's incredibly :3: but I did them after reading that awful GameFAQs quote where some guy wishes Monica was a bachelorette.

Basically the request is Shara asks you to help Monica trust people and not bite them. You dress us as the 'Rose Prince' from her favorite fairytale and take her out on a mock-date. At the end, Monica gives you a kiss and stops being a brat for the rest of the game, blushing and offering to cook your favourite foods when you talk to her.

It's really cute in-game but all I could think of was that loving gameFAQs post and it added a really disturbing undertone to the whole scene.

In an unrelated note, has anyone got married yet? Do the bachelorettes do the creepy Stepford Wife thing like in RF2 where they all have the same sappy dialogue after marriage, or do they actually keep their personalities?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I think you need to beat the raccoon and also visit the desert village (by transforming into a Wooly). After that, when you head back to your house you'll have the upper level and you can visit Gaius to get the forge.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I don't know why I got away so lightly in summer, but it's probably a combination of being too lazy to farm and sheer luck. I had probably less than half the lower left field sowed with multiple-harvest plants and lost maybe two or three plants over the course of the season, with only two or three storms I can remember. I had the entire right field unplowed though, and I believe someone mentioned it was possible that storm damage to your crops was based off how much space your fields had for weeds and grass to grow unimpeded.

Also, Shino is the best character and would make a way more interesting marriage candidate than any of the existing girls. I hope there's a story arc explaining her "hidden past". Middle-aged mother and inn-owner with a disturbingly thorough knowledge of combat who runs around with a katana? Sign me up!

One more thing: I've managed to get everyone to accompany me except Wells, Marjorie and Ondorus. Is it possible to get any of them to tag along for battles? Marjorie and Wells are at 5 hearts and Ondorus is at 4.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Corridor posted:

Fun fact: If you tap their name while in conversation with someone, the text box will vanish and let you see character's whole bodies unobstructed. I did not know this. It makes Micah slightly less creepy looking while running around in the swimsuit.

You can also hit X if you're not using stylus controls.

Another neat fact that I picked up from a walkthrough: you know how sometimes the little boxes above people's heads are white and sometimes red? If they're red, it means you haven't talked to them that day. :aaa: Most people probably figured this out by themselves but I didn't even notice.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Vakal posted:

Each game of Harvest Moon should start out with a 47-hour tutorial that consists of filling out loan applications, insurance forms, land permits, and equipment leasing agreements.

Then you spend the next 20 years only growing corn since it has the highest subsidy amount.

If you were really smart, you wouldn't farm at all. You'd just snap a few pictures of the legendary "harvest goddess" and go to the media.

And as for Rune Factory... you're powerful enough to kill giant goddamn trolls with your fireball spells. Why are you farming in the first place?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

I.T Zander posted:

Regular Harvest Moon DS. I felt like a big enough aspie asking for harvest moon DS and Pokemon Silver. I didn't need to be all "Whell. Despite having to play as a female, I'd rather have the less buggy game"

I can deal with a few glitches I suppose.

Unless you somehow got one of the very early copies of the game (not likely if you're buying new), you should have the fixed version of HMDS. After the initial release there were a couple of reissues of the game that fixed the more glaring errors. I think there's a way to tell by checking the serial number on the box, but I can't really remember.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I would definitely take Grand Bazaar over Sunshine Islands for a 12 year old. You can play either without getting into spreadsheets at all, but Sunshine Islands has a crop watering/sun system that could get very frustrating for a kid... or, hell, even an adult.

Grand Bazaar is way more beginner friendly and very easy to pick up and play, with super cute graphics to boot. The farming mechanic is limited to remembering to water your crops every day. While power gamers use spreadsheets to maximise profitability, that is by no means the only way to play the game. It's basically like using a walkthrough: not right or wrong, just 'different'. :)

Fogu has good sites for both games that explain the mechanics and content of the game in a lot of depth if you want to shop around and make sure the game you buy is appropriate. You might also check out Harvest Moon DS (has a 'cute' version where you play as a girl) and Rune Factory 3 (more RPG oriented - battle monsters and go through dungeons), the two other main DS titles. But I think Grand Bazaar is the best choice for a newbie.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Well, all the past games have been localised and have been fairly successful. They'd be crazy not to, but that doesn't mean you won't have a ridiculous delay to look forward to, especially if you're a PAL gamer (Animal Parade came here last month! :toot:). Probably faster to learn Japanese.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
No, you were partially right, there is an iOS game planned and currently in (open?) beta: you can read about it on Ushi No Tane. Looks like it's in English, too, unlike the browser game.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with running AP in an emulator or from an ISO on something like this, and does it make the game any faster? The loading times are annoying me too. :( I don't know if they're annoying me enough to spend $100+ to speed it up though.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Chinaman7000 posted:

If I have a GBA, DS, and Gamecube, what Harvest Moon should I get? I prefer keeping to the basic formula, I'm trying to recapture the happy zombie-like daze I had as a kid planting grass in Harvest Moon 64.

If you want a game as much like HM64 as possible, your best option is Friends of Mineral Town (More Friends of Mineral Town for the girl version) for GBA. It's basically a port of Back to Nature for the Playstation, which was a semi-port from HM64 so you'll even recognise most of the characters. :) It's very polished and doesn't feel too dated for a GBA game, but you can also check out Harvest Moon DS, which has the same nostalgic feel (for me, at least).

Questions about which game to pick up are by far the most common in the thread (not that that's a bad thing!); maybe the OP should have some summaries of the rest of the available titles for new/returning players?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
It's a bit more like a puzzle/time management game than HM. Time only progresses when you perform an action, and you have a limited amount of time each day, so you will end up spacing out your planting a bit to minimise wasted time.

There are marriage candidates for each gender, but you don't have to romance them. Instead, when you cook a meal you will have the option to take it to a villager and share a meal. They each will only accept certain dishes, and will only accept them once, and there isn't really any other way to interact with them so you can go for several years without visiting someone.

There's no relationship system, you can probably marry someone without visiting them at all: you just go to the mayor and ask to get married, and he'll ask for a dowry based on how rich your prospective partner is. Playing as a male looks MUCH easier than playing as a female: I think as a male, you just have to have a herd of <x> sheep, but females have to shear sheep and make bedcovers, which takes a TON of wool. I've been playing my game for about 15 years and don't have enough wool to marry one of the somewhat rich bachelors, so I have no idea what happens after marriage.

I found it pretty enjoyable, I'll still pick it up every now and then and play a few seasons. The animal system is really neat, I think, but is somewhat flawed: if you milk your goats/cows at all, they tend to stop giving out milk entirely and their babies starve to death. Farming! :black101:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
They seem to randomly increase when you harvest a plant. I've upgraded most of my seeds at least a few levels each season without doing anything special.

Also I was trying to hoard all the seeds (and filled up half my fridge doing so) until I realised that the general store only sells seeds at the highest level you've reached - and you don't seem to need to sell them first, they just automatically appear there. Also, the random drops from clearing your field each season will also be the highest level seeds, as far as I can tell. So you only need to store the rare/expensive seeds and the rest you can buy each season.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
You can make your wife/husband AND kids do chores in Animal Parade! I don't know how it works though, I've never got that far in my game.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Zenzirouj posted:

Oh yeah, what's the deal with monsters on farm duty losing health? I know they have to eat more, but the elephant I have loses health every day. I usually just run around and stuff him full of whatever herbs have grown, but is this something I'll always have to do?

I don't think my monsters lose health when I have them doing work - but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. Do you have any purple poison patches on your fields?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

normal contact posted:

So I'm playing RF3 and have firmly decided on Sakuya as my wife, and then one day Wells calls me to his room and tells me "I think Shara likes you, please don't break her heart" and then I get Monica's "I'd be sad if you liked Shara, but I'd be even sadder if you liked anyone else" and then finally Shara tells me she thinks she's in love with me, and I'm thinking maybe I should change my mind, Sakuya won't take it badly-no wait what the gently caress am I doing how is this game making me feel guilt?

It's OK, I know how you feel. :smith: I'm playing through all the storylines because I don't want to miss anything - now every girl in town has a massive crush on me and Carlos has given me permission to date his sister. I never even WANTED to date her in the first place!

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I've started playing Shepherd's Crossing 2 again with the intention of "beating" it so I can move on to more farming games guilt-free. I'd forgotten how bleak the game was. Unlike Harvest Moon, which is all about having fun farming and going out on dates and falling in love, Shepherd's Crossing is about barely eking out a living in the mountains, slaughtering your own food and worrying about whether you've planted enough crops to survive the winter. Conversations with villagers generally focus on food. No one has time to chat with you about their dreams for the future or plans to open up a beach cafe or whatever. There's no time for romance in their world.

If you're a girl and you want to get married, you need to knit bedcovers to woo prospective husbands. There are cheap men who will accept just one bedcover, but if you want to marry someone decent, you need to knit 2 or 3 bedcovers, or possibly even 4. Bedcovers take loving forever to make: you need 11 wool, and you get 1 wool per sheep every spring. I sold off a bunch of my other livestock to make room for more sheep and now, in year 13, I've just finished my second bedcover. 2 bedcovers is enough to marry the handsome butcher, Giles! I had decided in my first year that he was my favourite bachelor, so I was really looking forward to marrying him.

I went to the mayor with my intentions, and he agreed to negotiate our marriage contract. He went to Giles's house and I got a cutscene that went something like this:

:corsair: Hey, you should marry naptalan, she's a nice lady and a hard worker to boot!
:geno: No, I don't think so. I'm in love with <other woman from the village>, I think I'm going to propose to her.
:corsair: Don't be stupid! She'd never marry YOU. You should settle for naptalan instead.
:geno: I'm still not sure...
:corsair: Look, marriage isn't about love! naptalan is a strong woman and financially stable, she's knitted TWO bedcovers for you! Marry her!
:geno: Well... OK, I guess.

Another cutscene triggers after a few short images of unsmiling people in wedding attire. Giles and I are in my home talking. He tells me that he's going to be working away from the farm every spring and winter and he'll give me his salary to spend as I wish. The cutscene ends; I'm alone in my house.

:suicide:

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
^^^^ There is breeding. Hens go into 'heat' in Spring and will lay fertilised eggs if impregnated by a rooster.

Wandering Knitter posted:

The more I play SC2 the more I love it. I've been hammering out an LP, but it requires a lot of research. Maybe one day.

I would read the poo poo out of an SC2 LP, especially if it had recipes mixed in with it.

Were you the person who mentioned starting a wiki or game guide earlier in the thread? If you ever do start working on that, I'd love to contribute! I tried googling for any info on the game and found a couple of half-assed guides and one page with some tips for new players, but absolutely nothing else. Despite not getting married yet, I've cooked every dish in the game and I'm working on the rest of the almanac.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

If you only really wanna play Harvest Moon games I wouldn't bother buying a 3DS until ANB gets localised, since you can only play it on a Japanese console right now (unless there are other Japanese games you want).

I'm gonna wait to see if a new 3DS console comes out before RF4 in English because I don't want to get stuck with a 3D version of DS Fat. In the meantime it's back to playing Sunshine Islands. :argh:freshness:argh:

ANB is localised, that's why everyone in the thread is playing it at the moment :v: Still no word on an EU release date though. I'm tempted to buy an American 3DS for it, but then I'd be locked into importing all my 3DS games forever.

Sunshine Islands is still one of my favourite HM games even though it is objectively the most annoying game in the series. It's the kind of game you have to play with spreadsheets or a notebook to scribble in so you can remember which sunstones you've gathered/whether it was rainy or sunny 3 days ago/how many times you need to water strawberries. Despite all that I had more fun with it than the rest of the DS releases.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
It looks like New Beginning will be the definitive handheld HM game; so far reviews have been very positive and it sold extremely well in Japan and America. Get that if you have a US/Canadian 3DS, otherwise go for Rune Factory 3 or Tale of Two Towns.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
They're more or less based off personality. Karen, the town alcholic, loves wine and rich foods, and Mary goes hiking with her dad and likes all the wild grasses. The easiest girl to woo is Popuri, she goes nuts for anything with egg in it. Pretty much all the girls like diamonds, perfume, and flowers too.

From memory (it's been years since I played FOMT!) there's a very clear difference between gifts they like and gifts they don't care about/hate. Try the above gifts and you'll see.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Oh my god they made the request box a character :psyduck:

There's something so ridiculously Rune Factory-esque about letting you chat with a mailbox. I love this game already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles launched recently, I don't think anyone's discussed it here yet but a lot of reviewers are describing it as "Zelda meets Stardew Valley".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PCT2Z0-JY

I've played a few hours so far and that description is... inaccurate. From my short time with the game I'd say it's more like Animal Crossing if you took out all the town management and customisation aspects so you were just left with cute animals and clothes. It's like they tried to copy the most superficial aspects from life sims like Harvest Moon, Stardew Valley, Fantasy Life, etc. without putting any thought into the underlying systems. Like:

- There are a ton of quaint villages and townsfolk with things for you to do, but you can't go inside any of the buildings, NPCs have the same dialog outside of quests, and you can't form relationships or do anything meaningful besides exchanging items with them.
- You can build farms but they are just repositories for your crops and animals, not an important home base for exploring. There's no need to sleep or eat, and no events to watch for on the calendar (I think it's only there to apply visual effects with each season?)
- There's no measure of 'quality' or 'skill' in crafting and gathering. Each floofywobble or hamble (or whatever the cutesy pets are called) will produce the exact same item, they don't seem to have names or genders or varieties inside their species.

The controls are also floaty and uncomfortable, at least to me. Changing direction is an exercise in frustration as you slowly swivel your feet before moving again. I've been playing Grow Home recently, which has similarly awkward movement but manages to make it an adorable part of the game because you're moving around a tiny baby robot who can't keep up with his feet. In Yonder, I just want to get moving so I can spend as little time as possible in the vast, nearly-empty terrain that separates me from the next fetch quest.

If none of the above sound like a big deal and you just want a chill game where you run around and collect stuff, then by all means try it out. But yeah, the game is probably not going to scratch your Harvest Moon itch, despite being marketed heavily towards that audience. :V

A couple of other wordy complainers if you're still on the fence about it:
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bjxanv/the-open-world-of-yonder-is-supremely-pretty-but-so-shallow
https://steamcommunity.com/id/rebellucy/recommended/580200/

naptalan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 26, 2017

• Locked thread