Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Pretty sure Ginny does not exist in the first book, but I agree otherwise. Pretty obvious from the beginning of Chamber of Secrets onwards.

She is in it, but just barely, when they're at Platform 9 3/4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

computer parts posted:

Peyton Manning is ~38 and he's not exactly in the lowest impact sport either.

And that's without magical healing available.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Laverna posted:

A question for american readers - do they change the name in the text as well or just in the title?

It is Sorcerer's Stone in the text, as well. Same for throughout the movie.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Laverna posted:

Bummer.
Did you notice that when you first read it? Did it make a difference? I know that when I read the first book I knew about the philosopher's stone so I would have been a bit confused by it having a different name.

I was 10 or 11 when I first read it, I don't think I was aware of the Philosopher's Stone before Harry Potter. And I bought the US version at a Book Fair on a whim, and then eventually got a hardcover copy of the UK version a bit later to go with the rest of the set. So it didn't effect me when I first read it, but once I found out that they had changed it for US markets, it did annoy me.

JohnSherman posted:

I'm really just interested in how much someone got paid to read through the book and Americanize 20 or 30 words.

And they didn't just change Philosopher's Stone/Sorcerer's Stone... apparently they also Americanized some words, like changing jumper to sweater, or trousers to pants. Thankfully, I think they only did that for the first book.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zachol posted:

Everyone's already read the books.

Good thing there haven't been any new people born since they came out!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobjr posted:

And Snape was always a huge rear end in a top hat, to the point where he wasn't even a good teacher. He knew all the stuff, but he never really taught the kids or helped them, only ridiculed them when they got something wrong. When Harry takes his OWL he even thinks about how not bad potions is when he doesn't have Snape around.

I've definitely had teachers like this.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

If anything the HP movies would probably be enough to sour her from ceding creative control again.

:what:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

They do kind of explain why he has to live at the Dursley's in one of the later books... but the reasoning is kind of flimsy when considering it in that larger context.

Basically, Harry's mother dying to save him gave him this special enchantment that gave him protection... and being near the Dursleys strengthened that, since 2 of them shared blood with him/his mother. So even though they were terrible and abusive to him, Dumbledore kept him there to keep the protection enchantment alive.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

I don't know Harry was fed and clothed and given a roof over his head. They even took him to the zoo when he talked to the snake. They weren't beating the hell out of him or Mr duesley molesting him. Maybe they just didn't like him because he wasn't their kid and was a burden to a family that didn't have a lot to begin with.

He slept in a cupboard full of spiders while his cousin had two bedrooms for himself.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

This is probably because I was in my mid-20s when the book came out and couldn't make the more organic journey through the books that people who started the series as kids did.

My parents (who were very skeptical about the series, until I got my older sisters to read them) read them and loved them in their mid-fifties. So age is not necessarily an obstacle at all.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bad Wolf posted:

I do wish we had some well-developped, kind muggles in the series. As is, there were only Hermoine's parents, who are barely in the books, and the prime minister, who was just there to be annoyed by the minister for magic. (and in my head was James Hacker.)

The Other Minister is actually probably my favourite chapter in the entire series.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

because that's loving twice now you've made break down crying you pile of poo poo you should be ashamed of yourself.

I wish non-plat users could report, because I seriously don't know why that douchebag hasn't been probated or banned for blatantly baiting an abuse victim yet.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Cotato posted:

Thats not defending child abuse. There are plenty of people that have been incredibly abused and go on to live perfectly normal lives. They got the help they needed and moved on. They dont sit around all of their lives internalizing all media they consume and applying it to the terrible things that happened to them. You dont get over problems like that. lovely things happen to everyone. You either deal with it or you sit on the internet and cry over posts about harry potter.

How about

quote:

I don't know Harry was fed and clothed and given a roof over his head. They even took him to the zoo when he talked to the snake. They weren't beating the hell out of him or Mr duesley molesting him.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Best explanation I can give is the Elder Wand is so badass it achieved a level of sentience.

Yeah, I think it's only the Elder Wand that is supposed to follow that ownership rule.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. Ron's wand was a bit of a gently caress up until he got one that was his own, and not just a hand me down. Neville's badass leveal went up when he got his own one and was not just using his parents.

I thought Ron's wand only became a gently caress-up after he broke it while crashing the car into the Whomping Willow.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Mercury Hat posted:

Why didn't Dumbledore do anything reasonable instead of hoping a 17 year old could make enough logic leaps to arrive at the conclusion he wanted?

My headcanon is that he was actually just a felix felicis addict.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Variant_Eris posted:

So, anyone looked at the Time Turner-Plot Hole critique that was discussed by Jim Butcher and Patrick Rothfuss? I liked how they pointed out the problem with the Time-Turners, and how anyone could go back in time and change events to their liking.

But only if it already happened that way, presumably.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Inveigle posted:

it might have been better if JFK had focussed more on that since the Hallows were found all through the books.

Chapter one: The er, uh, boy who lived

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jazerus posted:

it's pretty clear, I think, that Harry acts like a massive poo poo in book 5 for way more plot-relevant reasons than generic teenage angst.

I listened to an interview between Stephen Fry and JK Rowling from 2005 the other day, and she talks directly about her reasoning behind this.

quote:

Well Phoenix - I will say, in self defense, Harry had to, because of what I'm trying to say about Harry as a hero, because he's a very human hero, and obviously, there's a contrast between him as a human hero and Voldemort, who has deliberately dehumanized himself... and Harry, therefore, did have to reach a point where he did always break down and say he didn't want to play anymore, he didn't want to be the hero anymore, and he'd lost too much, and he didn't want to lose anything else. So Phoenix was the point at which I decided he would have his breakdown... and now he will rise from the ashes, strengthened.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 26, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The Minister is probably elected by a magical pair of clogs or something.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chamale posted:

The whole scene leads to all these complicated questions, when the rule is just unnecessary.

I'd bet that scene doesn't lead to any questions for 99.9% of readers.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Well, while that's true, she does a fairly good job of making them distinct and giving them real-world parallels. The Floo Powder Network is specifically written to mimic the lines. (Right down to people getting off at the wrong stop and getting confused.) Portkeys are Airports: Great for travel to a specific place but you have to get there on time. Disapparation is cars: You need a license, it can cause accidents if used incorrectly and not everyone can do it or do so comfortably. There are certainly things I think Rowling didn't think through but the various methods of transporation seem pretty 1-1 with real world transportation.

What are brooms in this analogy? Bicycles? Horses?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harry Potter and a Bunch of Nerds Analyzing Plot Holes

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Isn't Mad-Eye missing a leg and an eye? Also, Dumbledore's hand in HBP. And George's ear. And Wormtail's hand. I think at some point it's said that dark magic curses/disfigurements are sometimes incurable.

I mean, they do have magic prosthetics for a few of those examples, though.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 29, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zachol posted:

Sectumsempra was a super weird spell that Snape designed himself. Every adult wizard that witnessed it being used was utterly shocked by it, which suggests there normally aren't many spells like that.
Permanent injuries for wizards seem limited to diseases and curses. Physical damage is easily fixed, but things like George's ear have a curse backing them up; it's not so much that the wizards can't fix the ear as that the curse blocks the magic from fixing it, and nobody can get rid of the curse.

(even sectumsempra wasn't an unhealable "real" curse)

Sectumsempra can be an unhealable real curse... it's what took George's ear off. So it wasn't unhealable in the hands of Harry, who didn't even know what it did at the time, but in the hands of its inventor, it's a different story.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The North Tower posted:

I always imagined it as the words themselves don't really matter. It's more of the intent of the wizard, which is why the really competent adult wizards can silent cast. The words can help to focus one's mind on the spell, and due to the rote learning process in wizard school, a lot of adults still use the words out of habit (and most wizards are basically high school graduates who work in a bureaucracy, not professors or professional aurors/werewolf hunters/dragon tamers, or other people with an expert level understanding).

This also allows for non-latin languages to have magic spells, too. :spergin:

But does it allow for the best spell, "Eat Slugs!"?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I wonder how they're able to ensure that wizards aren't constantly apparating in front of muggles. Designated apparation zones?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The North Tower posted:

However, wouldn't Hermione's spell to keep Harry's glass lenses clear be cheating? :spergin:

This is Hermione we're talking about, she probably consulted the rulebook in depth beforehand.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Hey I just finished the series.

Sorry to steer the conversation back into potentially depressing/controversial territory, but I'm curious about your ultimate thoughts on the Dursleys and that whole situation, now that you've finished the series.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Variant_Eris posted:

The Dursleys were a bunch of pandering jerks who couldn't unplug their half-maggot excuse of s brain from the rest of society.

To be fair though, I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't appeal to magic in this day and age. Simply not knowing its capabilities would scare off a lot of people in itself. Hell, I'm surprised that Dudley managed to get over his fantastic racism toward wizard kind.

I meant in the context of what TheModernAmerican had brought up previously in the thread:

...the Dursley's. Everything about them is so problematic and vividly triggering to my childhood of abuse that I end up in tears just trying to get through it. I don't understand how a children's book can have vivid and graphic destriptions of child abuse to open up each book.

From what I read of everyone's responses there will be more revealed about the older wizard's motivations so it may actually get worse. But if his treatment gets better, even slightly, I suppose I can handle it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

And the best part, you won't get even get on a slap on the wrist like that other guy who called me a baby for not enjoying being reminded of abuse. gently caress this whole thread to be honest, sorry I even mentioned it, and sorry for replying to that guy's question.

I'm sorry for bringing it up. :( I was genuinely interested to hear your perspective on that sub-plot as a whole, since I hadn't really looked it at it that way before until you brought it up the first time, but I knew it might go like this again. :\

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

zachol posted:

I think there's a point during Hallows where they mention how they can't get owls anymore because of the protection spells Hermione's been using. It might just be implied, though? Seems like a pretty big hole otherwise, for lots of reasons.

Also, aren't owls in severe danger of getting intercepted at that time, anyways? Since the Death Eaters control the Ministry and there are snatchers everywhere.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I just saw something posted elsewhere that had never occurred to me before.... it's been shown that exposure to horcruxes can influence your thoughts and darken your mind.... and the Dursleys were exposed to a horcrux for 10 years.

(They still seemed awful before, and I'm sure this wasn't planned by Rowling, but... still, it kind of fits!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I think the Rifftrax for the Order of the Phoenix movie has skewed my view on it, because it's probably my favourite out of the HP Rifftrax.

(I highly recommend the HP Rifftrax for anyone who hasn't seen them, they're great.)

• Locked thread