Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

It's bad to post photos of people's secure medical records, even if it's not 100% illegal, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

"A basket should count what a basket counts. If we start assigning greater value to the length of things, Pinocchio never would stop lying.

A stunt has become standard, like bottled water and the ATM, and there is no going back. Yet we must be alert because that's the kind of thinking that leads to curved TVs, driverless cars and Pilates."

good argument, imo

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

You should get three points for dunks too, if they are cool enough.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

He also claims that Hulk Hogan, the fictional character, has a ten inch penis; while Terry Bollea's is much smaller and was not filmed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Hundred and fifteen million dollars.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I don't always like his stuff (though he is pretty good), but Drew Magary wrote this and I really liked it.

http://deadspin.com/5900973/pain-is-a-gift-and-other-notes-from-a-terrified-father-during-a-seven-week-premature-birth

I like his sports coverage less than his "lifestyle" stuff like the above or when GQ sends him on adventures. Which I guess is not good for someone who is nominally a sportswriter? My favorite Deadspin articles were by Mr. Baseball but that's different.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

What's he want them to do? Throw games, send half their players to their opposition? I don't see how it's UConn's problem here.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Kyrie Irving is a Dumb Player; LeBron Should Slap Him.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder how much the poor defenseless put-upon multimillionaire Nick Denton is paying KFBR392 to plead his case

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

quote:

Perhaps nothing captures the meta end of this short con as well as Sofia Coppola’s Lost in Translation. In Lost, an American movie star named Bob Harris (Bill Murray, who [vapes deeply] seemed old when I first watched this but seems young when I watch it now) absconds to Tokyo to shoot a commercial for the Japanese whiskey brand Suntory. Suntory pays him $2 million — though his sale feels more [vapes even more deeply] existential.

[vapes deepest of all] Great website you got here Simmons, big success.

E: I kept reading and he did in fact say "[VAPES THE ABSOLUTE MOST DEEPLY]" later. Dang.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 6, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Here's another wrinkle in the discussion, possibly: The Ringer just put up another article all about Westworld and suggesting other worlds they'd like. It ends with this line:

Disclosure: HBO is an initial investor in The Ringer.

I'm not 100% certain, but that doesn't prove they are getting paid to plug Westworld, just that they are in a situation where people might think they are?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I didn't really read much of Grantland, but I usually check the Ringer once a day or so and find a couple articles worth reading.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

"Hey Ted Cruz's office responded to ypur request of a photo of Ted Cruz playing basketball. Any thoughts, editor of a major sports and general interest website"

"Taste my blade, cur"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Couldn't even make it an even 82, one parenthetical thought for each game of the season. Thats poor workmanship.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This may be Peak The Ringer Fanfiction

I too, think it's bad that Jimmy Butler wasn't traded to the New England Patriots.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Maybe "Unicorn" just means "thing or person I like" now, like how "hipster" became "thing or person I don't like".

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I'm just wondering what angles Stephen A Smith, Ace reporter at large, has uncovered that the rest of the sporting media haven't

"Have you considered that murder is in fact really really good? I love to murder."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

In addition to the headline error, they also misspelled Gronkowski. Great job justifying your continued existence, print journalism.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Let's not go overboard

Peter Thiel didn't do this thing wrong?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MourningView posted:

Calcaterra had a funny article where he found people writing it going back to like the 1800s

SBNation did a similar article about college football. It's always interesting to see historical hot takes

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

After all, what is all sports journalism but talking about brands competing with each other

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

To be fair to Jon, the credits indicate he is "creative director" and did the video work while Felix did the writing and of course narration. So the research may not be anything Jon was directly involved in.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

DJExile posted:

Is this officially peak barstool? I kinda feel like it is.

Not until Portnoy guests on the show and starts it with "I'm so glad to be here on - [TRANSMISSION LOST]

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

That is the greatest metaphor I've ever seen in my life.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dan Devine was the dumbest guest back when I listened to the Ringer NBA show and I'm glad to see he is still the dumbest.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I used to read the Ringer daily, listened to their NBA pod (not Bill's), etc but over the last couple years I've just kinda trailed off. My big favorites were NBA Desktop and Shea Serrano's writing and now that those are respectively Takeline and his books, I guess I'm just not in the same market anymore idk.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Personally I'm waiting to hear from Jabaal Abdul-Simmons, Bill Simmons's blacksona he brings out occasionally, to tell me if the Ringer is good or bad.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Be kind to Darren he can't help being a content golem

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bad take from Kevin OFaster, imo

I haven't listened to the Mismatch in a few years but I used to be a KOC fan. Sad to see it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

Check out Hakev O'Lajuwon over here

lol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm9iZnqGMvY

Almost as funny as MLB players thinking they can hit a softball!

this is a joke but its also cool it happened. shouts out the king and his court.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

General Dog posted:

Crafting a provocative take is an artform unto itself, but it's something modern Deadspin seems to think can just be brute-forced. I mean, yes, this is by definition a provocative headline, but not in a way that really invites engagement by anyone. It can really only be gawked at.

A headline you should gawk at? Someone should make a media group about that.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Kevin O' Coiner?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I've always liked Jason Concepcion's plan for the midseason tourney: make it a Money Cup that's about winning increasingly large piles of money and have the money sitting on a big table courtside with like 4 guards around it and finish the game telecast by handing all the players their share of the money. Keep a Money Cam on the money at all times.

Players will try, fans will tune in to see the money and who gets it, bingo bango bongo.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'd love to hear a KOC and Chris Ryan Tjarks pod, they were all friends and great basketball minds. Unfortunately...

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I don't want to go on Mr. Bones Wild Ride Bill Simmons'' Teen Patrol

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

This argument reminded me of the fact that rovell has the worlds largest collection of MLK owned items and occasionally posts weird about it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Very curious regarding which Dallas BBQ establishment this was

I don't remember if Terry Black's was still Austin exclusive in 05 but they have a sampler that's a whole 1+ pound beef rib, a whole sausage, and a pile of burnt ends with beans and mac

E:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean for the longest time it was controlled by the newspapers and radio still is king I think when it comes to sports stuff which are super white. I know Bill Simmons is not a great name around here but he talks about how the Boston print media wouldn't let any new writers come in and were actively hostile to anyone who tried to break in.

I wonder if it would have helped if Bill had told them about his blacksona

Borrowing my dad's copy of The Book of Basketball and finding out that Bill Simmons has a black self insert character named Jabaal Abdul-Simmons that he occasionally pretends to be so he can understand the plight of black athletes was uhh cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

As I mentioned, he later asks Jabaal among other things why black players might not like stripping to their shorts and doing feats of strength for white owners to bid on (probably rap music) and also mentions he did not talk to a black person outside the fan/athlete relationship until after high school.

Like his idea of making the HOF building a literal tower of greatness is cool but boy its a weird book.