Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
So, dunno if this has been dug up since I just realized this post was here, but:

LITERAL ACTUAL CURRENT DEADSPIN MASTHEAD @ 1:52pm EST on 10/31/19

Editorial Staff
Deputy Editor: Barry Petchesky - I'M SPARTACUS
Managing Editor: Samer Kalaf - probably going?
Features Editor: Tom Ley - gone
Senior News Editor: Diana Moskovitz - gone
News Editor: Billy Haisley - gone
Art Director: Jim Cooke - At the other GMG websites
Editor-at-Large: David Roth - gone
Staff Editor: Dan McQuade - gone

Staff Writers:
Drew Magary - gone
Albert Burneko - gone
Dom Consentino - gone
Kelsey McKinney - gone
Giri Nathan - gone
Luis Paez-Pumar - gone
Patrick Redford - gone
Lauren Theisen - gone
Chris Thompson - gone
Laura Wagner - gone

Weekend Contributors:
Maitreyi Anantharaman - ?
Gabe Fernandez - gone?

Technical Staff
Senior Video Producer: Kiran Chitanvis - ?
Creative Producer: Anders Kapur - ?
Staff Technologist: Dhruv Mehrotra - ?

loving amazing and awesome and get hosed Jim Spanfeller you loving twerpish vampire squid wannabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Jezebel: known for it's hard hitting sports blogging:

https://theslot.jezebel.com/washing...Rkbl5GBzdkvr-A4

Godfucking damnit, I just realized we're not going to have JezSpin next April Fools Day.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s going to be even worse with the gamergaters celebrating when Kotaku goes

God loving damnit. I hate this reality and would like to trade with one of my other selves somewhere further down the multiverse.

e: As noted recently, Deadspin actually had perhaps the most insightful take on what Gamergate meant for our poor, benighted world back in 2014.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Can't wait to see what bright new direction G/O takes deadspin in! I wonder who they could even get to take the job who isn't desperate or wildly underqualified?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I wonder if this will make the PE vampires have any second thoughts before they come for the other Gawker Media sites. Probably not.

skaboomizzy posted:

They are gonna staff the site with people who are desperate, too inexperienced to realize that this job will essentially brand them as a scab, or who just don't give a gently caress. I'm sure some D-list commenter/blogger at Barstool would jump at the opportunity to claim a spot on the masthead for the glory of those shitheads.

Tempted to fabricate applications, get hired, and then poo poo all over the overlords if I can figure out a way to avoid the ensuing civil litigation.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think it was on twitter, but someone pointed out that Petchesky owned himself for his entire run in the editorial staff by being the guy to post the morning blog by 9:00 a.m., which he started doing as a new writer way back in the aughts and then never realized he could offload onto someone else. Petchesky wasn't my favorite writer by a long shot at Deadspin, but he was above replacement level sportswriting. And he did a lot of editing work. The worst writer on the website in recent years has been Haisley, who combines horrible soccer takes with zero editing. It blows my mind that he was an editor. I still hope he lands on his feet.

Meanwhile, there've been a lot of excellent writers in latter day Deadspin. Diane Moskovitz was essential in the coverage of USA Gymnastics and Nasser. David Roth is just fantastic all around. Drew Magary has wildly matured from someone I really disliked and hate read to someone who I looked forward to reading and hearing from- I was shocked how worried I felt when his brain exploded last December. Laura Wagner is going to be a fantastic features writer for a long time for whichever media outlet jumps to hire her. Dom Consentino did yeoman's work on the NFL concussion settlement. And I could keep going.

I started reading Deadspin back in the Leitch days, and the journalism being put out right up until this past week has been as good or better than anything they'd done before. That's part of why I'm so angry about this- Deadspin wasn't a shell of its former self. Hell, it was better than the loving Dauliero era, and that's seen as some type of halcyon past. And it was murdered by chucklefucks who will never face any repercussions for their fuckups, or be held to account in any meaningful way.

Also, now there's one less place to find Ray Ratto's writing! Goddamnit.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

General Dog posted:

My point is more are Jezebel and the Root going to have the same number of visitors with no Deadspin to boost their signal?

I think Jezabel does pretty well and is profitable, but it's not as big as Deadspin was. I don't think the Root had nearly the readership of either.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

an actual dog posted:

he tried to change their motto from "A Supposedly Feminist Website" to "We Empower Women"

Hahahaha, what a loving dickless prick.

Apparently they forgot to take Moscovitz's keys away since she'd given her two weeks notice and didn't say she was writing early. Hence her fantastic shitposting.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:perfect:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Glad he recognized the problem.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This dude reverse milkshake ducked. Went from hated to lauded in no time flat.

And yeah, if I'm a freelancer this would scare me off.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Declan MacManus posted:

my morals are also based on a public barometer

Dude, c'mon. This guy stepped in it, and then got right. And it does suck to get piled on even if each individual person isn't saying anything terrible. He should have a beer and add "g/o media clusterfuck 2019 alumnus" to his Twitter profile.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

an actual dog posted:

idk where you're coming from. gawker won in court multiple times and it took a sympathetic judge and jury in florida to ruin them, and hogan wouldn't have gotten the counsel that could score that without thiel.

Yep. It literally took getting rid of any claims that Gawker could use to remove the case to federal court so that the massive appeal bond would be required before the lawsuit could kill Gawker... because Gawker was RIGHT ON THE GODDAMNED MERITS. They did some dumb poo poo in their lawsuit, and Dauliero is a loving rear end in a top hat and a loving idiot, but Jesus.

DeimosRising posted:

tbf what i think he's getting at is that he didn't understand solidarity until he got dragged by a picket line, and he realized that there is power in a union.

Also, he took a phone call from a freelancer union guy, sounds like, so he might become a union guy! And apparently he came down in support of the CTU in the end. I'm saying oblivous instead of malicious. And since so often people dig in instead of saying "oh, yeah, my bad" I'm glad this guy made the right choice.

Also, apparently this has likely had an effect on the ability of Deadspin to get freelancers because:

https://twitter.com/MadBastardsAll/status/1190381458470395904

Holy poo poo loving Maidmont is an evil rear end in a top hat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Univision mortally wounded the Onion, and it makes me so mad.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

AV Club also took a huge, stupid hit in moving away from disqus, which destroyed the commentariat... which was one of the major draws of the AV Club.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL @ scrapping Kinja because you got called an herb.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Worcester's gonna be broke af once they build that stupid stadium for the WooSox nee PawSox. As a resident of Springfield, I can only be happy about watching them screw up.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

If Deadspinners end up restarting Vice Sports it'll actually get me to visit Vice.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

BWV posted:

at the risk of beating it into the ground....

third time they've lost their entire staff in less than a week.

Not beaten into the ground yet. Loooool.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jiro posted:

Jesus wept, what a piece of poo poo. "Now that I've completely hollowed out this carcass I take my leave to poo poo on other things, adieu."

It's entirely possible that Maidment was just loving terrible at his job, couldn't get Spanfeller to budge on the stick to sports thing because Spanfeller is a constantly falling upwards failson, and quit because gently caress dealing with this poo poo and blowback that he was too inept to understand and prevent. One thing in the Hang Up and Listen episode is that Greenwell protected her staff from a LOT of poo poo on the "Stick to Spurtz" front, so that they weren't fully aware of how hard it was coming down from above.

NicelyNice posted:

Deadspin isn't an internet blog, it's an advertising business that was losing millions of dollars per year until recently. Sure, they could probably kickstart a blog, but turning it profitable, especially for an editorial staff of that size, is a huge task

The website itself was profitable. It was losing money because of the debt the Gawker websites got saddled with from Univision. Which is why levering your company to the hilt is usually a really bad idea even with continued crazy low interest rates... but everyone does it because of how cheap it is to borrow and the tax advantages of doing so and the idea that they know how to massively grow their companies to make all that debt not an issue. loving capitalists never learn.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I would really appreciate if a BP subscriber could post that Roth article here. The tags alone are amazing. "Mountainous Dumps on the Infield," "Pink Men in Blue Dress Shirts," "Our Big Wet Owners," "Marge Schott."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

You can read it with a free "basic" subscription.

Oh. I have one of those!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It’s not their money. They use other people’s money to buy an entity; if it booms for a couple years, they clean out the revenue for themselves; when it goes bankrupt, they don’t personally lose a nickel; the entity dies and they jaunt away, whistling, with their loot. On to the next!

I mean, yeah, but it's no way to run a railroad...

Wait, no, that's also how they ran railroads.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Simmons also turned out to have a really good eye for writing talent, Grantland was packed with fantastic writers who did excellent work. For all the, mostly deserved, stick he gets he's still got a solidly positive Writer Above Replacement stat for his career.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

MourningView posted:

A decent bit of Drew's shtick feels like it's making fun of the way Simmons used to write but I'm not sure most people would even realize that now because he's been pumping out multiple columns a week forever and Simmons stopped writing.

Magary's always had a schtick, it was much more irritating when he wasn't as good a writer/as insightful as he is today. But it's always frustrated me a little bit that he and others don't see how much Bill Simmons they have in them- they just make different references over and over. Magary is still a much better writer, but part of the reason schtick works is because it's comforting and easy for the reader to slip into.

Also, Deadcast could go on Ringer without a problem, but Deadspin as a whole would be hard pressed to fit in. Undeadspin could get set up as a vertical though, if Disney had any balls and realized how they hosed up by killing an excellent loss leader in Grantland.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

euphronius posted:

I don’t think espn can have a media outlet they will criticize the nfl

That's true- it'd be real hard to work Undeadspin into their sports coverage.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

lolol.

Also, Bill Simmons is 100% correct. Mookie is a loving treasure and they should be backing up dump trucks to keep him in Boston for his whole career.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

this is actually a riposte to Jezebel's recent piece slamming Vice for their misogynistic culture.

Both are almost certainly true. I have zero doubt that Jezebel would post about G/O's sexism problems.

fake edit: I'm referring to this, Gawker was not great on that even back in the Denton days, it should not have taken months for management to find a solution to trolls posting images of rape and sexual violence in the comment threads of the feminist vertical. Especially considering how fast things got fixed when that spread to OTHER verticals.

e: Fixed my url links.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 9, 2019

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

chunkles posted:

i'm not familiar with this and i have to say i cannot endorse a feature that hates on peppermint bark

Drew likes the peppermint bark. The price for six, though... Here's 2017 for an example.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Gotta be the latter, right? You'd need all new shoes and walking on them would suck, but prehensile feet would be fuckin' cool whereas non-prehensile hands would suck rear end.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh good point. Not being able to walk would really suck. I'd rather not be able to walk than not be able to use my hands, though, if the obverse is also true. Hand like a foot is meant to be an idiom, not an accurate description.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

harperdc posted:

Reader mode on Firefox/Safari should help.

I think incognito mode on Chrome still works too? Not sure, I use my parent's subscription to the NYTimes like a good millenial (and they use my WaPo subscription, so it's not one sided).

Good, succinct article by Petchesky. There's a great longform to be had about the Ad Apocalypse back in like 2014-2015 that killed websites like the Awl and the Toast and seriously hurt other independent outlets. Until then a small outlet could be profitable by finding its niche, and it didn't have to be that big. Too bad there's no place to publish such a piece anymore.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is like the Streets suing Coach Taylor but a million times stupider

I thought this exact same thing, immediately.

euphronius posted:

Oh it was an insurance company fight over medical bills

If we had universal healthcare this stuff wouldn’t happen

Which is what happened in Friday Night Lights!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I got thrown out of a beer league slowpitch softball game once for not sliding on a forceout at second and destroying the second baseman, AMA

One of my 3 or 4-ish concussions happened during intermural softball when I got trucked by a bigass frat dude while blocking home plate. The ball got to me first, so the dude got called out after sending me rear end over teakettle. Good on you for not being Chase loving Utley.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Oh man, yeah. You were damned if you did and damned if you didn't in that situation. Hope the dude was OK and that you got a chance to apologize later when tempers had cooled.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LOL, would love to see their ad metrics.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The fact that people are still accidentally going to Deadspin when their fingers forget that it's dead is going to convince G/O that they don't actually need to have any new content and really should just fire all of their writers and set up a bot to update the dates on the stories so they look new. Sure, you lose most of your traffic, but you have basically no overhead AND you've crushed a union which will help you get more employment from other rich people later!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Whenever I think of the Pistons I think of this line from the Hilarious Michael Jordan Steroid Discussion Thread

:hmmyes: I'm convinced. Look at how different and bulkier 35 year old Jordan looks from college age Jordan!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It has now been 16 days, 12 hours, and 13 minutes since there was a new post on Deadspin.com.

I expected this to throw things for a loop, but holy loving balls that site is dead as a doornail.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

EmotionlessThug posted:

There's a section of medium where they pay people to write on it I think. Not sure how it works

Medium is a weird site. On one hand, it's got all this self published stuff, on the other it has some professional writers, on the third hand it has like 100+ page Elizabeth Warren policy proposals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

morestuff posted:

I’m sure they’ll get another shot

At a much lower price.