Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I imagine that most women who care at all about sports are already watching ESPN channels, so what exactly is the point of this? To see if they can get lower ratings than FoxSports2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

soggybagel posted:

I have to ask what the point of Rembert Browne writing a first person account of his time in Ferguson has anything to do with the type of content Grantland produces. I"m not questioning the content or tone of the article. But simply why should it be published as the top story on Grantland right now?

http://grantland.com/features/ferguson-missouri-protest-michael-brown-murder-police/

Some things transcend sports. I think a paramilitary police action against unarmed protesters (after an unarmed black kid was gunned down by a white cop), local homeowners, and journalists severe enough that the President, US Attorney General, a sitting US Senator qualifies.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Simmons gets a nice vacation before the NBA starts, which is the only thing he cares about since the other Boston teams aren't anything special right now. Good for him.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

RIP Myron Cope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLapVsVZ7V4

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I enjoy Spencer Hall as a goon-ish commentator on the bullshit of college football. He's fun on Twitter and I think he's funny because the entire enterprise of the NCAA is just ridiculous.

I am not sure how he got to be an Executive Editor or whatever his grand-poobah title is at SBNation based on anything he's written. I think I read a thing where he went to Burma and watched a few days of an artistic hackey-sack festival (?) that wasn't terrible.

The reason "longform" is kind of a hip new thing is that it takes a really unique talent to write those kind of stories well, and I don't mean the "oral history of <x>" where you just string together quote blocks from a dozen people about A Thing That Happened Back Then. A friend of mine gave me an anthology of W. C. Heinz works several years ago and it's still one of my favorite reads despite the fact that everyone profiled in it was retired long before I was born. Not everything needs 12,000 words, and "maybe this convicted serial rapist cop wasn't such a bad guy after all" is one of those things that doesn't need 12,000 words or even any loving article at all, especially on a sports site.

This seems like a case of "Hey, we have a space for longform, we need something to put there" gone amok. In that frame, I totally agree with them shutting down that section of the site until they get their poo poo together.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

DJExile posted:

ESPN is taking Mike Ditka off NFL Countdown and replacing him with Matt Hasselbeck.

Ditka is apparently going to an "unspecified emeritus-type role", which I think translates to "we don't want to lose him as a name but we don't want him on TV every week"

Who will fart loudly on the set now?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

The best thing Deadspin ever did was exposing the Manti Te'o catfishing. Second best was Oddibe McDowell's water bill.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Sentence him to live in Florida without being under the influence at all times. Fate truly worse than death.

I've been here since 2003, and alcohol is how I survive.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I'm kinda surprised there are no Dragons in major American sports. I think NY had an Arena League team that was the Dragons, and UAB's teams are the Blazers (with dragon mascot), but that's all I can think of. I think if leagues were expanding now at the rate they were in the 90s, someone would jump on it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I won't read the new Grantland unless it has hilarious reviews of celebrity cook-off shows.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

HQ is basically "Deadspin: The Show" with an adorable old man that isn't Drew Magary.

Personally, I'm finding that it is the one show out of their HQ / Around The Horn / Pardon The Interruption block that I am most pissed about when it's pre-empted. The others I can take or leave. Kornheiser going to podcasting is probably something I would check out because I think his bile isn't maximized in 3-minute blocks sparring with Wilbon.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Imagine an afterlife where all of the deceased greats play pick-up games all day. All of them in their athletic prime, never tiring. Stadiums are somehow constructed so that every spectator has their own version of an ideal view. There are no tickets, fans just walk in and enjoy the game. Free food is brought to their seats. The uniforms have no logos. There is no advertising to be found. Every single day is a different set of games with infinite combinations of teams and opponents. At the end of the day, fans mingle with athletes they spent their lives idolizing. None of this costs a dime as there is no need for money to exist.

This is Darren Rovell's hell.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Headline News interviewed @fart about Edward Snowden recently.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a38421/edward-scissorhands-hln/

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Too bad about Rovell staying put, FS1 would've probably given him a half-hour daily show + regular appearances on Fox Business.

Then I could've just ignored him forever.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Is Williams a drunk or just clinically insane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I used to really like Deadspin but man it's been circling the drain lately.

Even Magary (who I adored in HS/College) has gone down in quality.

Magary has a book deal to protect and the GQ gig to protect.

He's not an idiot, after all.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 25, 2017

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Yahoo killed their games site which made me sad, because it was a great place to play gin and chat.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

ESPN had the late stages of a Street Fighter V tournament on once, and that was riveting.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

General Dog posted:

The NBA has probably eight of the ten worst team names in professional sports.

Heat/Thunder/Magic - team nicknames end in 's', get the gently caress out of here
Utah Jazz - :wtc:
Nets - equivalent to the NFL's New York Goalposts or MLB's Hoboken Dirt
Raptors - Only cool in the 90s, no clever girls to be found with these bozos
Wizards - Never cool
Bobcats - If you want to share a nickname with 500 high schools, but "Panthers" is a little too edgy for your tastes

The Charlotte team is the Hornets again. They took the name back after NO switched to the Pelicans.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/claytravis/status/887003884287381506

Clay Travis's kid was infested with lice so United wouldn't let them fly home.
He is feeling very victimized.

Mahoning posted:

I think you've typed "United" out of habit since they're always the ones with the bad publicity, but it was Delta.

Yeah, this. My bad.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 19, 2017

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Mahoning posted:

I think you've typed "United" out of habit since they're always the ones with the bad publicity, but it was Delta.

You are correct on both counts. Brain not awake yet.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

MourningView posted:

Someone else with more patience for reading Cody Travis will have to go check but I'm just guessing his take was different when united had that dude beaten and dragged off the plane

He admits as such and links to his article where he defended United.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I think the final straw on Schilling was something about transgender people and bathrooms, but yeah, it came after hundreds of other lovely things.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Clay Travis getting himself stuck in a hell of his own making is going to be the most positive media development in the months and years to come

It won't matter. He's gonna be the bizarro version of Dave Zirin, the sports journalist for The Nation. They'll be booked to scream at each other for decades on television or FB Live or whatever brain implant is trendy in 2030.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/922548379175063552

"drat, looks like people know Barstool is a terrible site for terrible people and we can't ignore it anymore."

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Don't they have a contract with MSU?

$150 million.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

What actual sports does FS1 even have the rights to? All I can think of off the top of my head is Big East basketball, non-Cup NASCAR, and a few filler UFC cards a year.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Duke's endless stream of white fuccbois naturally blends together over the years into an indistinguishable mass.

You're probably thinking Grayson was pulling cheap poo poo against UNLV and hell I don't blame you

Is the vat that keeps producing Plumlees still in operation?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't play Overwatch. When I tried to watch the first Overwatch League to get an idea what it was about, I lasted about ten minutes. Rapid cuts from player to player doing absurdly quick and jerky FPS things gave me motion sickness and I didn't understand any of it.

On the other hand, I'll watch a Hearthstone tournament all weekend if there's nothing else that grabs my attention. I guess I'm old now.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

in a sign of the times, he recently got dropped by a sports station in San Diego (where his show started) to be replaced by The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz

RACK 'EM

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Highly Questionable is the only ESPN thing I watch that isn't an actual live sporting event for just that reason. 8-10 minutes of sports talk, then just a bunch of fun nonsense.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

What a cheap, crooked idiot.

Hole in one insurance for a $65,000 car and 144 golfers is like $1600, a million bucks is probably around the $30k range.

So instead of just getting that Trump got sued and paid 5x that plus lawyer fees from his scam charity and now they're gonna nail him for it nothing at all will happen to him.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

you can't post this without the reply

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1039707123557392388

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

The best thing about the MLB drug trial was finding out that the Pirates mascot was one of the coke dealers.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

i think cool engaging video content is A Good Thing, like most of the poo poo sbnation does, and works a lot better than clumsily embedding clips into a longform article

i also probably watch more streaming video from youtube and the like than traditional television at this point in my life so i’m probably a weird demographic; i watch a shitload of bon appetit and wired videos but would never have a subscription to any conde nast publication because i can’t really afford the lifestyle they sell you know?

I will watch anything Jon Bois makes. I will even seek it out on YouTube and encourage others to watch it.

That is about the end of my engagement with social media sports video because Deadspin can't get mlb.com clips to embed properly in their feed because MLB is terrible.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There are three stadiums I can think of where both an NFL and college team play (Pittsburgh, TB/USF, Miami) and at least once a season the turf will be all torn to hell for the NFL game. It's just unavoidable if the weather screws you.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

A lot of people think that if W hadn't run for President and won, he was lined up to be MLB commissioner.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

that's what pisses me off most about US soccer fandom, that it's basically cosplaying as ultras while keeping it "family-friendly"

Don't even know how to make a newspaper into a weapon

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

My favorite English team is FC United Of Manchester.

When some American assholes bought a big stake in ManU in 2005, a bunch of fans decided to form their own club from scratch. It's member-owned and operated with a board of directors and meetings to make decisions on stuff. They've currently climbed their way up to the sixth level of the FA system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wimbledon moving was amazing because if a US team relocated 60 miles they'd probably just keep the same name and nobody would care, but Wimbledon's relocation was considered such a travesty that it's like spoken of in hushed tones as something that must never happen again

The San Francisco 49ers play in Santa Clara, nicely proving your point.