Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

OrangeKing posted:

This may be old news to some, but I didn't know about it until I read an article on jobs that can be done by robots. Apparently, sports writing is one of them! For instance, the Big Ten Network uses a company called Narrative Science Inc. for it's baseball and softball coverage, since it's cheaper than having beat reporters at every game. You just input the box score, and it spits out stuff like this: http://www.bigtennetwork.com/dpp/schools/purdue/tennessee-tech-defeats-purdue%2C-8-3

I'm not sure I'd feel I got my money's worth from my computer sportswriter, but then, I don't know how much it costs.

I can see how they might want to use that for low priority games because even paying someone say 3 hours to watch a game, and then say 30-60 minutes to write and edit a short column like that is going to cost at least $250. Multiply that by the hundreds of games like that and it makes sense. That computer summary is totally worthless though, it's just a straight up reading of the box score, for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait really, I got paid about a hundred bucks a go to write as a stringer for a Serious Business newspaper.

there aren't that many additional costs associated with the process.

Well, I was just guessing. I figured 4 hours of work for a reporter to get to and watch the game, then the small amount of time to publish it on the web would run about $250. Even still, if it costs $100 a game, I can't see how using a computer generated story wouldn't save tens of thousands of dollars over the long run.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

haljordan posted:

Well, based on this post from an internet field hockey site!!!, that guy is clearly in the wrong and is ruining the very fabric of the sport itself.

Taking random posts from mostly anonymous users on websites has been used in all levels of journalism lately. Why anyone thinks this is good journalism is beyond me.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Here is a link: click

In the link is a piece written by a basketball player. I will not tell you what is in the link. All I will tell you to do is read it all the way to the end.

Oh Paul, what have you become?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm glad the Suntimes thought the Cubs even had a chance at a successful season because I was sure they had no chance at all, even before the injuries.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'm glad someone out there is making sure we know that Randy Wells is slightly better than AJ Burnett.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I hadn't watched Real Sports in a long time, but they recently put up a full episode regarding the Olympics and I thought it was pretty good. It covered essentially three topics, how Rio is going to be a disaster, how Sochi was a huge waste of public money, and how China suppresses dissent and has terrible human rights violations. The overall arching theme was the corruption in the IOC, and how the Olympics are indirectly helping oppressive governments.

I also learned that only China and Kazakhstan sent in bids for the 2022 Winter Olypmics. I guess the only thing crazier than Sochi holding winter Olympics is for Beijing to hold them. I'm sure there's a better place in China to hold the Winter Olympics, but what do I know.

Either way, if you have access to HBO, I'd recommend it. You can see the literal poo poo that people get to swim in next week.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DJExile posted:

A big reason for this was that literally nobody else wanted it. Poland and Sweden withdrew early bids because voters basically went nuts and passed strongly supported referendums rejecting the games.

Yea, the Sweden part was covered early on in the Real Sports segment. There was a big push to withdraw because so many people see the IOC for the corrupt organization that it is. There was a brief talk at the end where someone suggested that the Olympics go to just one location, but then all the bribes would go away, so it likely won't happen. The FBI needs to take on the IOC like they did with FIFA.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe a sting operation is needed where LA tries to get the Olympics and offers some bribes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Pretty good chance Russia boycotts/is banned from them again too

For some reason, the hilarity of Russia nearly being completely banned from the Olympics this year, but is still hosting the Summer games in four years just got to me. It like sums up the whole problem with the Olympics.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

He might be thinking of the 2018 World Cup

I am, oops.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pretty sure HBO gave up on that show already because I don't see them advertise it at all. I suppose aside from his contract, they have pretty low production costs, so they may just keep letting it go since they've already committed most of the costs.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

True, but the network has basically axed all hockey coverage and significantly scaled back their baseball coverage to the point where Baseball Tonight is being replaced with MLB Network simulcasts.

I'm pretty surprised at how much they're abandoning MLB coverage. Mostly because for a couple months it's the only thing going on. Unless ESPN is going to really start getting in to MLS, or the WNBA.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

The constant articles about The Wire do not surprise me at all. The people who are really into that show never, ever get out of it, and they want everybody else to know at all times.

:omarcomin:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hockey is like the only sport that doesn't slow to a grind in a late close game. Baseball has tons of pitching changes, basketball has the fouls and timeouts, football has lots of timeouts and clock stoppages. Basketball I think is the worst of them though. And yea, anyone that says they prefer college over NBA has something wrong with them, and I love college basketball. The conference and NCAA tournaments are fantastic, but the level of play in the NBA is miles ahead. You can only watch bad shooting for so long before getting frustrated.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

really excited to go to independent league baseball in Rosemont Illinois, the "Chicago Dogs"

Yea I saw that and my eyes lit up. That stadium will probably be as close to me as Wrigley is. Also, they have a good logo.

I saw the Windy City Thunderbolts play the Lake Erie Crushers in Avon, OH a couple years back. They played on a completely field turf field, well except for dirt on the mound, and I think right by home. Can't imagine sliding all the time on that. Beer was regular priced, and I think I paid $15 to sit three rows behind home. I love the minors.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Deathlove posted:

Is this at that park right by O'Hare on the TriState? That place looks adorable.

That's for the softball team. The Chicago Dogs are supposed to be building a new park.

Edit: well the new park is also by O'hare and the tristate, Balmoral and Pearl.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 23, 2017

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Let's set money on fire until our competition dies or gives up" is totally healthy, sustainable, and not at all ultimately terrifying

I'm not sure they're actually burning through that much cash. They said in the article that Toronto is already break even for them, and a lot of other cities are close to break even. Plus, I think they get their cash for the annual subscription up front, so that significantly helps with cash flow. I think The Athletic can survive because you only really need a couple of writers per team. Factor in an extra person here or there and you could run an entire sports department for a city with four teams and have like 10 people. It's not that much overhead.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Dexo posted:

gently caress Note Dame

That’s a law right?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Noctone posted:

Ah yes, I’m sure it would make her feel a lot better to know it was just incompetent indifference rather than malice.

Incompetence with medical billing is like standard practice.

Anyway, I actually worry that if sports went only to clubs and get away from universities, that all this would actually be worse somehow. Book needs to be thrown at MSU and everyone at USAG who knew.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought AOL finally shut down, but I guess not. What happens to people's email when a company goes bust? I guess all the big original email services are still kicking. Is hotmail still around, or did that all get rolled into MSN email addresses?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

There could be a thing too where the early internet days did allow you to be pretty anonymous, and people have just kept carrying on even though that level of anonymity isn't really there anymore. That and no one is probably talking back to them in person. They can shrug off people on the internet, but not everyone can.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I actually like the name Soul better. Also, didn't a bunch of people raise a fuss over the fire since it was a direct reference to the Great Chicago Fire?

I don’t remember anyone caring about the Fire name, especially since there wasn’t anyone around who would remember it.

Yea there was a Chicago Soul sound, but It wasn’t that big compared to Detroit and Memphis, and the Blues is a way bigger thing anyway. Chicago Fire is one of the few MLS names I like.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/2xBirds/status/984479692307677184

The Narrative is real and strong, my friends.

Was the original article about how the Pittsburgh Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was talking poo poo about Baez showing off, and this guy just completely missed the point and that the Cubs were telling Baez to calm down or what?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sounds like he's still going to be working though, right? I will be happy when he retires.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Do Republicans buy sneakers? At least the big name ones I mean, I’m sure they buy lots of New Balances.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I really dislike video because it seems like a lot of them don't do closed captions. I'm not deaf, but it makes a video worthless if you want to watch it in public without headphones. I did find that ESPN has CC, but I don't see them on most sites. Youtube's auto captioning is hilariously bad.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

My issue with video is that I can read an article about ten times faster than it takes to watch a bunch of talking heads jabber on for four minutes or whatever. loving CNN is the worst, because they've decided that every single article on their site needs to be tied to a video that auto-plays and oh my God gently caress you.

Oh yeah, I hate video for those reasons too, but occasionally I want to watch a highlight video, or whatever and I don't have much of a choice. Anyway, autoplay video is dumb, and I expect every website to have come around and nearly abandoned video in 3 years time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

gently caress the NCAA, sure, but gently caress those parents 10000000x more

I don’t understand parents who would disown their child like this. I just can’t even imagine the thought, religion is a hell of a drug.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i remember when fake internet tough guys used to threaten to fight people

I long for a summer day in Temecula.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

I wonder how many construction workers who could snap portnoy in half without breaking a sweat have barstool stickers on their hard hat or tool box

Most of them probably have no clue WTF Barstool even is.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Are you kidding, this is their target demo: young white male meatheads in and around Boston

All the construction guys I work with just listen to sports talk radio if anything. Then again, I don't really get into that many discussions about Twitter or Podcasts with any of them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Yes because as we know, college athletes are in it for the love of the game and want to win championships and wouldn’t jump at the chance to make money during the required one or two year stopover in college athletics before moving on to the pros.

Especially since so many college kids don't even sniff the NFL. A chance to get a 4-year degree and also make a little bit of cash would be huge. Something like this would be even bigger where there aren't nearly as many large cities and pro teams to compete with. The college kids are the major sports celebs in a lot of college towns, less so in LA and San Francisco.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Metapod posted:

Some people get mad paranoid

Yea, like the one and only time I smoked it sent my anxiety through the roof. I never smoked again because it was a pretty miserable experience.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

euphronius posted:

Oh it was an insurance company fight over medical bills

If we had universal healthcare this stuff wouldn’t happen

Well more than medical bills, pain and suffering too, along with a shortened life expectancy.

A stupid lawsuit though, the article is right that it would have essentially ended all sports below the college level. Every time a kid gets injured, the question would be, "did the coach act recklessly?" Amazed it even got to a court room, and even more amazed that one juror still agreed with the parents.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

tomorrow, deadspin will have posted zero new content in a month

the headline is still lamar jackson handing the pats their first loss

it appears they still have not hired anyone and most of deadspin have new gigs

The question is, are they trying to hire anyone, or is it that no one will work for them?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Something huge being that they're shutting down all of their websites.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the Federal government is not a model of efficiency.

Neither are lots of major corporations. Very large entities are rarely efficient.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

I wish I could agree that Brother Fred was the most prominent US “civil rights leader” but even if you think that term fits him he definitely wasn’t that prominent. He wasn’t even the most famous Panther

I figured Fred Hampton was in reference to the government sponsored murder thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I just scroll on past the penis section.