Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
From the Yo! NMD Raps thread continued here:

Professor Funk posted:

Don't just listen to the lyrics, listen to the music. It is not a triumphant song. It's not an arrogant song. If anything, it's a song about Kanye's insecurity and self-doubt. He's saying "I am a God" as though he is trying to convince himself and others of his greatness. He's not saying "I am a God," there's a difference. The folks at Grantland compared the song to Kanye waking up in the morning, looking at himself in a mirror, and saying those words over and over again, which I think is perfect. Musically, the song isn't really the picture of self-confidence or bravado either, with Kanye's insane screams perforating the instrumental and the dark, droning synth tracks.

Yes, the sample is about lynchings in the Jim Crow South, and the song is about a bad breakup. It's a startling gap between source content and subject matter, which is probably the point. Kanye uses heightened -- mostly racial -- imagery throughout the album to describe relatively inconsequential things. In "New Slaves," he talks about fashion honchos not respecting him unless he "picks the cotton himself." In "I'm In It" he fists a girl "like a Civil Rights Sign" and compares a girl taking her bra off to a famous portion of "I Have a Dream." In "Black Skinhead," he gets his "by any means on" and compares white people coming to see him in concert to visitors going to ogle King Kong locked in his cage. Later on in "Blood on the Leaves" he compares keeping his wife and mistress separated at a basketball game to Apartheid. It goes on and on.

The point is that there's really nothing to this album except Kanye. Even when he seems to be spreading these subversive messages about "new racism" and what not, it's really all about him. Had Kanye used the Strange Fruit sample and made Blood on the Leaves a track about racism, sexism, or other social ills, it would have been completely out of place on the album. Is it a startling, potentially offense, move? Yeah, absolutely. Does Kanye give a gently caress? Nope, it's his album, and this one more than any of his other ones is about Kanye.

(I suggest we move this to the Kanye thread since I don't want to dominate this one with posts like this)

Edit: That Gibbs tracklist looks awesome.

That's an interesting way at looking at this, ill read the Grantland article and listen closer to I Am a God.

It's sad that Ye could use his celebrity and reach to do and touch more people positively. Rap is poetry in motion to me, and its disappointing when the "voice of a generation" misses the mark ever so slightly.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

thathonkey posted:

Still on spotify. Given that it's apple music im guessing a technical issue

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/699376240709402624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Everytime I see anything about this album and apple music I look back on that tweet and just snicker

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I find it extremely hard to compare pre-808s and 808s through now. I have definitive rankings for both subcategories though, and while Yeezus is the lowest of the last 4 I still think its a masterpiece. I just think Pablo is slightly, slightly stronger though I also think it has more filler.

This is true, his thematic and style have evolved really quickly since 808's and his previous music was slightly little more homogeneous in nature.

With that said, TLOP is somewhere in the bottom half of his catalog of amazing works (which they all are, culminated by MBDTF as the pinnacle) and it's still a lot better than most artists ever put out. The living album thing was interesting for a little bit, but the album has too many peaks and valleys for me and the music decisions are sometimes confusing and very very rushed or at least reactionary since the first release.

I don't know people don't like Yeezus though, there are some absolutely brilliant songs on that album. Add to that the - Kanye head rapping New Slaves in random places all over the world completely uncensored - thing is peak Ye in all of it's glory. It ages well too, it's still a great listen to this day.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 13, 2016

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

setafd posted:

I can't believe he has lawyers because lawyers wouldn't have let him put his imagination of what Taylor Swift's titties look like in a music video

Of course they would, if you were Kanye's lawyer for 20 seconds you would know that he is capable of that AND much more.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Molestationary Store posted:

Take off the petty Chris Rock skit and the talkbox solo from Runaway and throw two more songs that are on the same level as everything else on that LP and it'd be an inarguable five star/mic/whatever classic.

Although I don't think either of those things totally take away from the album (yes the chris rock skit isn't an every time listen but it's a loving classic skit - up there with any other rap skit) It eclipsed Ruff Ryders Volume 1, Thriller and Lord Willin for me as the greatest album i've ever heard. It's ambitious, creative, and feels like an epic story through and through. The accompanying video visuals make the entire thing feel like a movie score.

10/10

TLOP on the other hand, was a little more messy but a solid , yet flawed project that I am 100% sure that Kanye rushed to release. If he had taken a little more time with it, it could have become one of his best works. It does have some REALLY high points, slammed together with some really low points.

7/10

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

True indeed, but you missed out on the opportunity to play the best Kanye/Twista track (and a top 5 Kanye track)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSYDbpOuYUE

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yeah, but it seems that he has jumped from "kind of off and handling himself" to "danger to himself and those around him" kind of fast.

Kanye has always been like this, this might be the most public of attention he's ever gotten for being this way....

Oh Long Johnson posted:

See, before I let you go
One last thing I need to let you know
You ain't never seen nothing crazier than
This nigga when he off his Lexapro

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Dexo posted:

Through the Wire 2.

And whoo boy if him and Kim actually split like TMZ and other trash sites have been rumoring.

Kanye is about to be on Future's level of Hurt.

Two options arise from this, he either makes another 808's and heartbreaks which wouldn't be terrible

OR

He makes another, even greater MDBTF level piece of work - Beyonce style with an hour and a half long music video accompaniment and he broadcasts it off the side of Trump Tower.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/2295321/kanye-wests-brother-reveals-rapper-is-terrified-people-are-trying-to-kill-him/

Yeezy thinks people are trying to kill him.

Not to go off the deep end, but this is the same thing that happened to DMX. If he comes out of the hospital with a British accent like Brittany you know something is hosed up.

I don't claim to know Ye's exact habits but I would probably feel completely sure in saying that DMX was on a TON more drugs than Kanye is/was on, if that is a contributing factor. DMX suffers from the age old trap of getting too famous too fast when coming from literally nothing - dude probably has pretty much blown the majority of his riches on parties women and drugs and doesn't have a ton left.

Kanye on the other hand seemed to have some long term issues that can be clued at as far back as through the wire.

I wish the dude and his family well. The public spotlight does this to a lot of people, some of which had under the surface issues that are exacerbated by the fame and attention and loss of freedom.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

I hope the impetus for his isn't as depressing as 'Ye's but man someday Chance is gonna make his own MBDTF and it's gonna be loving awesome

Please don't let Chance ever get that sad........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

• Locked thread