Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Eh Big Sean is only on 1/4 of the tracks if that is real. Still way too much. Why does Kanye work with this guy again? CyHi is great though, glad to see he made it on a couple tracks. His Atlanta-remix of I'm On One is awesome and I wish I could find a solid recording of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I'm kinda digging Clique. I like the beat and Big Sean drops another pretty tolerable verse.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
So there are at least two somewhat serious miscalculations thus far:

1) the release got pushed so far back that "Cruel Summer" is coming out in the final days of summer

2) if "Don't Like" really is the "proper" end track (and not a bonus)

I'd count releasing Mercy so early in the summer as a miscalculation as well. Seems like the strongest track from the album that I've heard so far.

edit: \/\/\/\/ this is true, I still keep it in heavy rotation

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 8, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

the Bunt posted:

Am I in the minority that I almost dislike every single person in the group besides Ye?

Kanye and Pusha T are far and away the best. How could you not like the Pusha verse in Mercy? He killed that poo poo. CyHi the Prynce isn't part of the group I guess but I like him a lot too. Big Sean's verse on Mercy is tolerable but yeah in general he is pretty lovely.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I like the album version of New God Flow better too; really hated the original ending. However, of the previously unreleased songs... they're all pretty bad except for The Morning (which could have stood to be longer - some of the verses sounded rushed... like when 2 Chainz is getting going then his verse just suddenly ends it is literally about 10 seconds long). They released all the good tracks early!

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 14, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Here is a link to the explicit version on Spotify.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mexcillent posted:

To be honest I was really lukewarm on WTT when it first hit. Obviously it grew on me and I think CS is going to be the same.

I liked WTT from first listen, and was hoping CS would grow on me but it hasn't. It is front-loaded with the good tracks that had already been out for weeks and months before the album dropped. Second half is mediocre and forgettable.

Also wtf is up with Kanye sampling himself from another track ON THE SAME album on The Morning... that really bothers me. Lazy poo poo imho.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Yeah I like White Dress. Kanye with RZA production is always a treat.

And I do enjoy pretty much the entire first half of CS a lot, it was just a big disappointment after all the delays.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
What happened to the notion of there being a "Cruel Winter" release?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Has any vague release date been tossed around for Kanye's next solo effort?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It comes from the same camp who thinks all sampling is theft and doesnt warrant artistic recognition.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Is Daft Punk still considered relevant these days within dance music circles? As an outsider, it seems like house has been displaced.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Or a mess. Like All of the Lights. Kind of a gimmick imho. (But the LP could also be great like MBDTF).

Also Cruel Summer was pretty terrible but I obviously understand the difference between a Kanye solo and a Kanye produced.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I just wish Kanye would go back to basics and make an album that doesn't need 9 million features by every single person and their cousin off the Top 50 billboard chart. But I also trust in Kanye to do something great. Sorry but to me All of the Lights is a gimmick song that would have been better IMHO stripped down. It isn't the weakest song of MBDTF though, that honor goes to So Appalled. Just cause Pitchfork gave it a 10.0 doesn't mean the album is flawless, but it is great.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Oh I don't see it happening either. I'll reserve further comment for when the album comes out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

-Atom- posted:

All of y'all can suck my balls through my drawers.

Sorry that that is from one of the worst verses Jay-Z ever wrote.

MBDTF is great, but let's face facts: So Appalled is the weakest track on the album. IMHO All of the Lights is the 2nd weakest mostly because the 9-million-features-gimmick factor alone is not enough to carry it.

Also Fergie. Kid Cudi. Swizzy. CyHi. All of these people need to stfu and stop ruining what would otherwise be decent tracks.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

At least Monster still has the greatest verse Nicki Minaj will ever spit

Oh hands down. But the Justin Vernon part is pretty contrived. That is why it worries me to see this epic, sundry list of possible collaboraters...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It works best as an album, that is for sure. Ive always liked Devil though... Probably one of the few songs off that album that I still listen to. It is almost as if music is subjective.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Not An Irish Monk posted:

This is coming from the poster that just treated his opinion as fact a page ago.

Pretty much everything I say about music is my opinion. Does this need a disclaimer?

(though I stand by my claim that So Appalled is objectively the worst song on the album. Everything else is up for grabs.)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Agreed on all points but I like the song portion of Blame Game (partially cause I am a sucker for a well executed sample and Ye always delivers on this front). I thought in contemporary rap the skits were always separated onto their own tracks because producers/whoever decides such things finally realized that even the funniest loving skit in the world is probably not something you want to listen to every time you want to hear the song.

edit: But re: Jay-Z that's been the case for pretty much every verse in general from him over the past ~5 years although every once in a blue moon he'll go hard on a track.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 19, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I could see not loving Devil in a New Dress but I cannot see why it is skippable. The production/beat/guitar break are all quite sweet imho and even Rick Ross delivers a passable verse.

edit: \/\/\/ concur. I also usually skip both tracks dedicated to All of the Lights because it is just too showy/gimmicky/je ne sais quoi for me on repeat listenings. Really got to be in the mood for that one. Dark Fantasy (first track) and Gorgeous are probably my favorites to listen to standalone, ie. without the greater context of the album.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 20, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Cruel Summer was really good. Clique, New God Flow, Mercy, To the World, The One, Cold, and Don't Like were all great tracks.

I think the problem was more that more than half those songs came out months before the album was released so essentially all the tracks worth listening to were already available well before it dropped.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

That is right around the corner! The best news.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh, okay. Well that's great news! Are there any guest stars on this track?

You mean features?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That's essentially the same thing as what I said, right?

I was just giving you a hard time; "guest star" is typically TV vocabulary for an actor not normally on the show and it sounded a bit weird. "Features" or simply "guests" would be most appropriate for rap :)

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

slogsdon posted:

Oh, give me a loving break.

Why?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Been anxiously checking my watch and refreshing kanyewest.com all day. Come on man!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Spectral Debt posted:

What is that song on the https://www.kanyewest.com homepage, it's kind of terrible, is that the new song?

Pusha T produced by Kanye and it came out in April. Also it is kind of great.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Haha I just noticed Kanye's Twitter account has been completed wiped except for the one tweet (presumably) announcing the album release date:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest

Also he is following just one account... guess who.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Dammit just post the real single Kanye what happened to GOOD fridays? This gimmick poo poo is annoying.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:ughh:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Other links are dead:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/kanye-west-new-slaves/n36983
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/kanye-west-black-skinhead/n36982

Why is Kanye so mad?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Kanye listens to a huge variety of music so I wouldn't be surprised. I am really looking forward to hearing these songs on record... and now it makes a little more sense why there hasn't been a "single" yet. Those are NOT radio material.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Supposedly this is the album art (crumpled gold foil???):

It does seem to actually be titled 'Yeezus' :stare:

Apparently those are the Nike Air Yeezy 2s...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I wouldn't count on it. Kanye has been in love with those overly hot/distorted vocals ever since MBDTF. I'm not really a fan because it makes the songs sound more lo-fi than they are but I think that effect is going to be very prominent on this new album too. I guess it works with the "I'm so angry and I must yell everything" vibe that he is goin for...

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Something the world needs.

It really is not

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Im worried kanye is taking himself a bit too seriously now. If the entire album is the same as these 2 songs then that sounds kinda tedious

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

doctor thodt posted:

Oh 'ye of little faith.

Im just a professional pessimist. I just dont like buying into all the hype around my favorite artists.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 20, 2013

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The_Rob posted:

Kanye has always taken himself a bit to serious. That's kind of his thing.

Oh yeah i meant rather i hope the album finds some time to be fun/funny instead of 100% dark and about "serious issues" that kanye is having or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

epitasis posted:

Allusions to popular culture?? In MY rap music???

Those movies are both 4-5 yrs old and 300 has been referenced in at least half a dozen other rap songs before so yeah those lines are some pretty lame mixtape fare. Also the 300 are greek (spartan) not roman but I guess we can let that slide. Let's not pretend Kanye is a super lyrical genius because he ain't.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 20, 2013

• Locked thread