Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Sounds like some cool ideas and a few poorly conceived ones. Meet the new EU same as the old EU...

One year of war for all that to happen before the battle of Jakku is a really short timeline, seems unrealistic especially one side disarming unilaterally, and no leader is going to give up power that forcefully in those conditions no matter how pure-hearted. Even the prequels acknowledge that. The compressed timeline really limits future storytelling about the war with the Empire. It would be hard for anything, be it books or future films to go there without retcon, and it's not like they couldn't give up another 5 years of this 30 years' Cold War... Which is Star Trek as all gently caress by the way.

Also Han and Leia get their happily ever after in RotJ and then he leaves out for more smuggler bullshit? Ha. "I know."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Roughly 30 years of peace between ROTJ and TFA doesn't sound like it gives future EU writers a lot to work with for future stories but eh, such is life I guess. Luke, Han and Leia can't be off on adventures ALL the time, even though the old EU had them saving the day well into their ripe old age and never gave them a day's rest.

Although if they do kind of a Cold War scenario where the New Republic and Empire aren't officially at war but hate each others' guts and are sticking their noses in smaller conflicts in an attempt to further their ideologies could be cool.

The impression I get is that by the time of TFA, the New Republic is largely impotent and useless and this Resistance group has to do all the fighting. Or maybe the New Republic isn't going after the First Order directly because they don't want to provoke another war with Imperial Remnant states.

But I bet TFA will have practically nothing in the movie itself to explain this situation and this is a continuation of the prequels' "you need to buy the books to understand what the hell the set-up is." We'll be shown the good guys, bad guys, and also-bad guys who want to be Darth Vader.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Nessus posted:

well with that kind of an attitude!

I imagine the sets will be comparable in quality to the ones in the Star Trek films, probably better. It is quite certain that they will have CGI enhancements of various kinds, but I imagine the mixture of advancement in state of the art and the fact that the Red Letter Media people haven't cut a promo on it yet will make them more... digestible?

Somewhat

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

It's made even worse because since the dissolution of the Senate in Ep 4, there's no central way for any of the Moffs to actually organise a war effort and no way for them to in any way deal with the will of the people.

he opposing side just won't be coming.

Excuse me that is what Mofferences are for :colbert:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lucas certain tried quipping throughout the prequels, but both the writing and delivery failed. The Kotor games and comic are a good example of doing it right. I think that is fine, and when someone throws the "josh whedon" I assume they mean overly precious or fan-pandering quips.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

In the far future white people will quip at each other bilingually and appropriate what Whedon imagines other cultures' sex workers' practices to be. Also they'll probs paint Space Confederate flags on their spaceships.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

jivjov posted:

Get the audio book. Wendig's writing style is hellish to read but sounds great aloud.

"You can say this poo poo but you can't write it, Chuck."

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm thinking once I finish the Laundry Files up to the current paperback, then this Neil Gaiman collection I have, I might go on a bit of a Star Wars binge. You know, try out all these books I read like 10 years ago, maybe even report back here if I end up doing it. Might be fun to try. :allears:

For an adult of legal age, a Star Wars binge must always follow or proceed an alcohol binge. Those are the rules.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It looks like the new TPBs cost more on Kindle than softcover. Is this a Marvel thing? Kindle used to be a good deal with DH.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok I'm gonna need a consensus pick, y'all are getting one entry in the poll, make it a good one and sell it to me in a sentence ("this book had cool lightsaber action AND actually made me think about ____."

I vote for Traitor. Traitor is Star Wars deconstructed, definitely the most literary choice.

The RotS novel is a master class on how to take all the plot points of a George Lucas script and reshape the action and dialogue so it works.

The first Zahn books are deece SF that are a good "what might have been" look back and are accessible reads since they came first.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

There were definitely enough "it's like poetry" moments in this one.

Kylo Ren makes me miss Darth Caedus. Even though the character arc turning Jacen dark was ridiculously inconsistent, he felt like more mature villain, and even more relateable.

Seemed like the film did not commit to Finn being force sensitive but left some possibity open. I hope they don't make Rey Luke's daughter, but they'd have to allow for some people outside the Skywalker line being even more powerful, which is definitely a pre-prequel approach. Either way she is a big step up from Jaina Solo.

I'll probably nerd out on EU comparisons at some point. But I liked it and most of my complaints are small. Music is underwhelming and the villains did not approach OT levels. Also no Twi'leks and (the biggest sin of all) no Wedge.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

We need a superstar alien. Who will be the next Kit Fisto?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Are they going to play up the Resistance as a cause of, rather than a solution to, these Star Wars? Will future installments give more depth to General Hux's fanatical speech against disorder and Kylo's basically labeling the good guys as terrorists? In other words, will they try to answer what makes the bad guys tick and will joining the dark side be more of a political than personal choice in this trilogy?

Or will the movies not care and just let the new EU tepidly raise the question?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

double post

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 21, 2015

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dumb goony goon post about Star Wars books as a tangent that I didn't realize was several pages back, also double post.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 21, 2015

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Yeah for some reason I ended up on slave Leia posts when I tried to see new stuff. I'm no good at smartphones, we need datapads dammit. Datapads we type from while on the refresher.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

going off the political stuff, does anyone think JJ might be recycling the plot of Into Darkness?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not really. Into Darkness was about a rogue Starfleet Admiral wanting to commit genocide against the Klingons using the pretense of a coming war as justification.
Force Awakens is about a bush war in the mid rim because the New Republic cannot afford to go to war with the First Order for political reasons despite the First Order openly declaring war on them. The Klingons would have needed to be in a state of war with the Federation for the comparison to make sense, which it doesn't.

As someone who hasn't read the tie-ins yet, is it established that the first order attacked first? When and where and how long ago did this happen? Are we sure any acts of war (like wiping out the new Jedi order) weren't retaliation for something the resistance did? (Possibly giving rise to Kylo's view they're "murderers and traitors". Also sounds like the Klingons were basically attacking individual federation ships without really doing major aggression if I remember that movie.

Basically I don't know from watching the film what the real situation is but I think they left the door open to go there.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I know people have repressed TPM but prequel Anakin obvi.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Hahahaha never heard a SJW (star justice warrior) pull that one before. Nope.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

They'd have to accept it because Tales from the Bounty Hunters Boba Fett said it, and he's a confirmed virgin in that book.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

On a second viewing, I'm liking the music more. It's not as hummable as some of the older tracks, due to a lot of the composition being more complex, but a lot more of the themes stuck out to me this time around. Rey's theme and March of the Resistance are the standouts, but I'm growing fond of Kylo Ren's leitmotif and how it hits that unpleasant and slightly tragic note that goes well with his character.

I thought Kylo Rem's theme would be more at home in a Bond movie and now I can't unthink that.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

KurdtLives posted:

I am sure only the broad strokes are outlined but I feel something like that has got to be worked out by now.

If everyone predicts their big twist it's possible they will reconsider the plot point. That's the upside of TFA not committing to much.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

i guess Artoo could have been hacking imperial archives to find the rest of the map if you want an explanation that makes sense with what we are told in the film, but I'm guessing it will be a while before the new EU really digs into how this map came about because so far they are determined not to give much post-RotJ details and why it is like a Life Day egg hunt finding pieces of it. Then in 30 years we will have a movie come along to show us who stole the map and upend all the other stories and Kyle Katarn games about stealing the map first.

As for Tarkin, I did like lil Wilhuff having Disnet villain 1 percenter parents.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

According to JJ Abrams in an interview, R2 has the map because he downloaded it off the Death Star in A New Hope because the Empire for some reason had a map of all the Jedi Temples (which were what the various points on the map all were). Though this obviously doesn't explain why Kylo Ren doesn't also have all that info leftover from the Empire.

In that case it's not really a map to Luke but to "the first Jedi temple" they were talking about.Meh, seems silly since it's not like the early Jedi had w foolproof way to beat the dark side. But they can play it as Luke just being a baby and hiding.

The more I think about it the logical way for Rey to be tempted by the dark side is through her abandonment issues so I guess that makes the Luke's daughter plot point more likely. drat shame.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

How long do we need to spoiler tag this poo poo? Did any of you nerds not see the movie yet?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Also Corellia was conceived of as a big, influential world that's a commercial and cultural hub.

Mandalorians live on a backwater and are relative few. So why does everyone keep talking about them? It's a faded warrior culture in a universe full of these Star Wars... There's no in-universe reason to care about them that much, at least until we start throwing magic metals into the story.

Of course the real reason it features so heavily is catering to fan demands because Boba Fett is and always has been extremely marketable, but let's just call it what it is.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's accusing people of being white slavers for doing a better job with something he sold with full knowledge and consent and then pretty much thinks he knows what we want after the prequals.

I'm entitled to think he is acting like a knob.

He's pretty much acknowledged he doesn't know what fans want and Disney does. That's why he calls TFA a film "for the fans."

It's pretty clear he has his vision that he prefers though and the prequels are what we got. I can't begrudge him that much for wanting to still tell the story his way given his role as a creator even though his time has past. Kind of strange he was surprised they wanted to focus on making a movie more people would like, though.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah, but I mean MAIN characters, like people who get their own books or movies or whatever starring them from their POV.

Troy Denning books qualify with Barabels. And did he do something from his pet Squib and Ewok character POVs? I blocked it out if so.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I will hand it to him that it was an interesting idea seeing Jedi fight to the death over a narrower political difference than light vs. dark side, but they totally botched the moment with a nonsensical lead-up.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Is anyone else irrationally angry they are changing Wedge's backstory to starting out as a TIE pilot?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Siivola posted:

Today I went out of my way to read the Dawn of the Jedi comic books and oh my god why do I do this to myself I hate how Ostrander writes. :negative:

And I'm not really into Duursema's art, either.

heresy.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Thread has been pretty dead lately so I'm happy to talk about anything. Apparently she is or was writing GI Joe comics. I don't read them so no clue there. Her Twitter account is mostly retweets and snotty comments about the Labour Party. She probably has plenty of money and can afford to not work all the time.

Makes me wonder how well off some of the more prolific EU authors are. Some of them have to be millionaires.

I got the impression the pay was okay but not spectacular for most of them. Remember it's the Star Wars name that does most of the selling. Maybe Zahn is an exception but only if his post Thrawn trilogy stuff got more reader loyalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

I liked Winter as well. It's probably because she's like Wedge in the movies. She's just there, a normal person, doing her best and being a good person while doing so. :)

Don’t forget the holographic memory