Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is there any way we can reset the post RoTJ EU to the end of the New Jedi Order and start again from there? Keep the Legacy comics though, but remove all mentions of Jacen as a Sith.

Please Lucasfilm/Book/Arts? :ohdear:

While I'm definitely not entirely happy with everything the EU has given us. I accept all of it, even the bad. And enjoy it to a point. I don't want a Galaxy where everything is perfect. Did it piss me off when Jacen did a total 180 and became a massive dick? Of course. But I enjoyed being drawn into the story moreso because of my love for a character whom I never thought could have done that. I like knowing that characters have flaws, and react to changes in their universe. Even negative ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Azzmo posted:

I'm totally with you in theory.

It's the manner in which many of the random or unconventional things happen that cause me (and I assume many people) to just throw up their hands. LotF spoilers I don't mind that Jacen became a Sith but I hated that he didn't do it because of trauma or resignation or an insight during his journeys but, rather, almost accidentally because he was basically tricked about the ramifications and realities and was taught that he would be able to deal with the dark side in a clinical and objective way. He was never that stupid as a teenager or adult until the plot demanded he be.

So I agree that the overall notions of some of the things that happen that fans cry out about are actually pretty cool but it's often the way that they happen that cause problems.

I'll give you that one. I also got the idea that his descent was a bit too convenient for the sake of the plot, rather than a believable and justifiable reason. Still quite enjoyed the Legacy novels though.

I'm also absolutely LOVING the new Fate novels. I may be alone in that, but goddamn it's captured my attention.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I've noticed almost no one is talking about the Fate of the Jedi series. What do you guys think of it so far?

I'm quite enjoying it myself. The surprise team-up as well as the budding relationship between Ben and Vestara has me hooked and waiting eagerly for the next release. I'm also enjoying their portrayal of Sith who are more like Jedi with balls, rather than just power-hungry psychotics.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Anyone else here feel that Galen Marek doesn't get enough love? He's so drat overpowered that I actually find it fun to watch his canon-bending use of The Force.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 22, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I said this earlier, but I'll repeat it since someone's asking: The Clone Wars is basically just a slightly more violent than average kids' show. Not terribly deep or meaningful, but filled with lots of bright colours and action. I can watch the occasional episode when it's on television (except for the ones that are inexplicably focused on boring intergalactic politics i.e. just about any Padme-centric episode), but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to watch it or buy it on DVD or Blu-Ray.

That said, it's better than the prequel trilogy.

I watched the initial "movie" and left disappointed enough to swear off the series as a whole. I figured the show might have one, maybe two redeeming points during its lifetime and I'd just watch those when I heard about them.

That hasn't happened yet. The only thing even remotely interesting was the introduction of Savage Oppress. His backstory I could buy, I mean why not? Weirder things have happened in the EU. So I decided to wait for his story arc to complete before watching only to find out recently that it's leading into some kind of Darth Maul resurrection.
I also read that apparently Anakin falls to the Darkside at some point then gets convenient amnesia and forgets about it. Which has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I will remain happily ignorant of any plot points laid out by the Clone Wars. However, the new Plagueis novel is amazing and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. I'm hoping Old Republic: Revan proves to be a good read as well.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 22, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Since Lucas has decided to distance himself from Star Wars, do you guys think the franchise will get better, or worse as times goes on? As much as I hated a lot of the crap he's pulled, some of his "rules" for the universe did keep things in check. For instance, he's been adamant about Yoda staying a mysterious character with little backstory. Which I feel is what makes Yoda so great. Without him to say no to the myriad of Yoda novels that have been put forth, I'm afraid now we're gonna get one that's going to flesh out his life story and completely ruin the mystery of the character.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's been plenty of stuff written about Yoda, the only real mysterious part is what planet he came from.

The only writings I'm aware of that actually go into his past are the Dark Rendezvous novel and a few snippets about his discovery by his Jedi Master. Neither of which really go into any depth. Plus I recall him discussing his own brush with the dark side in some bit of media. I think it's fun to consider that he may have fallen to the dark side at some point and been redeemed but the mystery behind that point in his life is probably more exciting than anything anyone could actually write about it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Can someone explain to me the, timeline I guess, of the creation of the Clone Army? I've always been a bit confused on that matter. I know Palpatine orchestrated the creation of the army so that he would have one to command once he rose to power but I've been unable to sort out the exact sequence of events. I know he somehow used Dooku and Sifo Dyas to do it, but how did he convince Sifo Dyas to go along with it without the Jedi Order finding out? Why did the Jedi not even know about it until the Clones strolled up on Coruscants doorstep? And why the hell did they just shrug and go "Welp, okay!" and use the Army with no real questioning of why it was created in the first place?

My brain hurts trying to sort out that part of the lore.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And remember, Luceno may not be the best EU author *COUGH*Zahn*COUGH*, but he's hardly the worst *COUGH*Anderson*COUGH* either.

Gotta get that cold checked out...

In my opinion, after reading every novel except Plageuis (which I just started) and Revan, if the entire EU was written by Zahn, Stover, and Luceno then the world would be a better place. And maybe Kemp. Crosscurrent and Rip Tide were fun reads.

EDIT: And Jedi Trial by David Sherman and Dan Cragg is by and far the worst EU Book ever. If not the worst book period. I'd read Anderson's entire bibliography before being subjected to Trial again.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 23, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

You meant Allston and Stover.

I never found Allston to be that great. Whenever I read his X-Wing novels and then eventually his entries in the Legacy era I didn't even realize they were the same author. His writing style is largely forgettable.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

What I've always thought was ridiculous was the quantity of clones. 10 million? Are you making GBS threads me? That wouldn't be enough soldiers to take one planet, never mind fight on thousands of them. Come on George, would it have killed you to add a few zeros and make it plausible?

Well, if you don't mind me spergin' out for a bit, you have to remember that each individual clone was the pinnacle of human ability. Programmed and designed specifically to be perfect at their job. So one clone could easily be worth five or more regular soldiers. Couple that with each platoon having a Jedi General, whom is easily worth 20 soldiers by him or herself. With that number increasing if the General is a Master.

Plus, I don't think it was "thousands" of worlds. More like hundreds. The major battles of the Clone Wars took place on very few worlds (in comparison to the size of The Galaxy, at any rate). A cursory glance at Wookiepedia supports this.

You can also assume that the Republic rarely, if ever, had to occupy a planet cleared of the Separatists. With the adversary being droids, there was no need to capture any enemy to keep tabs on. They'd just wipe the planet clean of them and move on.

EDIT: Going through the trouble to research this and type it up has helped me realize why I'm divorced though, so there's that.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 23, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Its been joked about a lot, but is there actual a terribly convoluted flow chart of the Death Star plans? I'm sure it would need a few alternate realities and continuities. Star Wars version of the Zelda timeline. I seem to remember capturing the shuttle used in ROTJ in a few different games for instance. Star Wars version of the Zelda timeline.

I always operated under the assumption that all the different "plans" from the Death Star throughout the continuity (Dark Forces and some PSP game both had Death Star plans) were all pieces or otherwise incomplete. Up until the Bothan's plans in New Hope, which finally gave them the complete schematic and a flaw to exploit.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

It's been a while, but I just ran across something on Wookieepedia that actually made me say "oh for gently caress'S SAKE" out loud.

It's just for a card game. I wouldn't put too much stake in it actually holding up as canon. The card games have often taken liberties with canon.

EDIT: Besides, he looks kinda badass.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I've got a question for anybody who read Plagieus. I'm going to spoiler-text it just in case.

In the course of the book it is implied that Anakin was not created by either Sidious or his Master, but he literally just sprung fourth via the will of the Force. But why did they decide to go this route? Plagieus obviously had the ability to create a being such as Anakin, why suddenly cop-out and ignore that very important plot point just to shoehorn it into the drat prophecy?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

I really want to know what Zhan went with this. Was it something the studio demanded or what?

I think it was more likely just a badly thought out way of differentiating between the original person and the clone. Their names were the same, both the clone and the original called themselves Luke Skywalker. But to make the novel readable, Zhan added the extra vowel. So you don't run into "Luke Skywalker slashes his saber at Luke Skywalker!"

Poorly thought out, but I understand what he must have been thinking when he did it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The entire Fate of the Jedi series has read like some High-Schooler's crappy fan-fiction. And it pisses me off even more because the idea of booting out Luke Skywalker and holding the Jedi accountable for those who fall to the darkside could have been a great idea if handled correctly.

Plus, Daala as Head of State? What were they snorting when they came up with that idea?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Christ you guys are bitter. Let the guy enjoy the prequels if he wants to. To each his own and all that

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I'll admit that Plagieus might be a hard read for someone not well-versed in the EU. But you have to admit that by this point, people not caught up with the EU probably shouldn't be picking up a brand new novel and expecting it to make complete sense. It's not written for new readers, it's for those of us who still cough up cash for every new novel/comic book that is released.

From that point of view I quite enjoyed its references to other EU works. When it mentioned certain battles and events, I'd get to go "ooo! ooo! I remember that!" and feel all special.

No, I do not have sex very often. Why do you ask? :suicide:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Cheesus posted:

Oh I will. Despite my problems with it, I am enjoying the story and it's succeeded in keeping my nose in my new Kindle instead of television.

Edit:
Ok, that ended on a sour note to me. Is there a Palpatine book planned so we can see the events and planning from his side? Because his speech to Plagueis seemed too Scooby-Dooish to me ("Ha ha! These were all my plans and work, not yours!") with no in-book support that I can recall.

For the most part, all the evidence for Palpatine's claim is contained in other various EU novels and comics where he is a central character. Plus, considering Plagieus more or less drops off the map midway through the book, it isn't a stretch to assume he was delusional in his idea of how much of the Grand Plan was actually his doing. Which would explain Palpatine's resentment toward him. How would you feel if some old senile codger was living as a hermit but still claimed to be doing all the work? It can also be safely assumed that there will be more novels about Palpatine's political maneuverings considering that Plagieus has seemed to be a very well received entry into the series.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The trailer showcasing the resurrected Darth Maul came out today and his character design is identical to the Infinities story where he hunted down Obi-Wan on Tatooine when Luke was about five or six years old. So they might be making that specific story from the comic canon, with it being the final fate of Darth Maul.

Or they could've just gotten lazy and decided to use a character design they already owned the rights too.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, they were based off of the Sith witch concept art that was one of the early designs for Darth Maul. Also the show clearly intends (even if a few bits of dialogue massaged it for the EU's sake) that rather than Nightsisters being humans, the Nightsisters are a species with extreme sexual dimorphism where the females are Asajj Ventress lookalikes and the males are Darth Mauls.

From what I've been able to gather, Zabraks are now Iridonian settlers that grew up on Dathomir. In other words, all Zabraks are Iridonians but not all Iridonians are Zabraks. Humans were still the first Witches of Dathomir, but through the generations their hybrid children with Zabraks created a sub-race where the females are pale-skinned bald humans, and the males retain their Iridonian heritage. These individuals founded the Nightsisters. I think it's safe to assume that there are still human's, both male and female, amongst the population of Dathomir. As well as female Zabraks. It's just that this new race of Iridonian-Human hybrids is simply the dominant culture on Dathomir, overshadowing the other groups of Witches.

I put way too much thought into this.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 24, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

So the first spoilers from Apocalypse are coming out...some choice developments, spoilered just in case anyone here actually cares:

Remember the Father, Son, and Daughter who controlled the Force from those Clone Wars episodes? Apparently Abeloth is their "Mother" and is trying to turn Luke, Ben, and Ben's Sith girlfriend into new versions of Father/Son/Daughter. Also apparently Yoda told Luke all about those guys during his ESB training, and Luke sends some Jedi to their planet to get the Son's dagger to kill Abeloth with.

Also at one point Luke meets up with Darth Krayt, who gives Luke advice on how to fight Abeloth, and apparently it's retconned that somehow Jacen became a Sith in order to fight Krayt because somehow he was tricked that Luke was Krayt or something stupid and convoluted like that. Also I think Luke meeting Krayt completely goes against Legacy's backstory but then again Denning.

My favorite bit, the book ends with Jag and Daala running against each other in an election for Emperor/Empress.

Maybe I'm just broken after putting up with the EU for all these years, but this honestly makes a lot more sense to me than "ridiculously powerful force user who has just been chillin' in the Maw for millenia and only just now decided to make a break for it."

As for the Darth Krayt angle. I saw that one coming. At least Jacen's involvement with him at least. And as soon as the "journey across the galaxy to retrace Jacen's steps" thing started I figured Luke would probably run into The One Sith at some point. So called that too.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Locutus of Bald posted:

gently caress you Wookiepedia, that's canon. I don't care what Keeper of the Holocron Leland Chee says, that's more canon than 90% of the EU. :colbert:

fake edit: I am ashamed of myself for knowing offhand the name of the dude in charge of Star Wars Canon.

Say what you will, but I would love to have his job.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Did Apocalypse just totally rip off Mass Effect with the Powerful beings periodically wipe the galaxy clean every few thousand years so new life can develop, or is that just a common sci-fi theme and Denning just got super lazy and used it instead of coming up with something original?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I may be completely alone in this, but I would like to see a novel go into the science behind the Force. I was one of the very few who was excited about midichlorians in the prequels because it removed the mystical, religious aspect of the force and connected it to a more scientific view of that Universe. I enjoy Star Wars partly because I feel it is possible that the canon behind the Force can be explained in-universe as something more profound than "magic." Though I do understand that the fantasy element of Star Wars is partly what people enjoy about it, I personally would find enjoyment in having that fantasy explained.

Does anyone else agree that it might be exciting to read about how force users are really just manipulating the laws of physics?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

When it comes to EU canon in general, I tend to view every piece of media as an in-universe "based on a true story" scenario. Every book, comic, and tv show is loosely based on "real" events that took place in their Universe, but the story is told after the fact. I find viewing the EU this way makes things a lot easier to swallow and it's much easier to disregard certain things and/or assume certain plot elements are out of context (like the palaptine/vong connection).

Esroc
May 31, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Both the Clone Wars and the Galactic Civil War are portrayed as galaxy-spanning conflicts. There are millions of stars in a galaxy, and the Stars Wars galaxy is typically portrayed as having a high ratio of planets that are inhabited. The big wars of the 20th century (even the small ones) have involved hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of troops committed to a single front or conflict area. Multiply that over hundreds (or thousands) of planets that are being contested and even if you factor in future militaries being more efficient than the ones of today, it's clear that 3 million is woefully insufficient for the purpose of fighting a galactic war.

You're forgetting that what is shown Star Wars is a very technologically advanced society. The more advanced the tech, the less you need warm bodies to do your dirty work. The clones were crucial in situations requiring more finesse, but for the most part the wars are fought via orbital bombardments and ships, then the planet would be blockaded from trade or outside influence until the population is under control.

Plus, really, it was the ARC's and the Commando's who did all the work. The normal clones were little more than security after a planet had been bombed to hell and back.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 10, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

EDIT: Fark. Quoted myself by accident.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jun 10, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

OriginalPseudonym posted:

I always figured the point was so that he could be voted into life ruler or whatever, because "A vote for democracy is a vote for GREVIOUS" or something like that.

I like to pretend that Palpatine came to power because the Galaxy at large wasn't entirely stupid and assumed a force user was behind most everything and just decided "gently caress it."

I mean, seriously. If I lived in a Galaxy that had super-powered monks warring over it every other generation or so I'd finally just have to go: "I'm out. Call me when the Jedi kill your rear end again."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Why does Lucasfilm see the need to drag out the movie characters? Just let them die. The Old Republic Era and the Legacy comics open up a whole new generation of stories that they could exploit, yet they keep focusing on the geriatric Luke, Han, and Leia fighting crime and the forces of evil. I'm pretty sure they're well past retirement age at this point.

I say end it at Crucible, then expand on the story began in the Legacy comics. I found Cade a somewhat entertaining character, if at times annoying. But even then he just fits in with his lineage. The Skywalkers almost always have a tradition of being annoying little fucks, until they do something to redeem themselves.

They could easily leave everything related to the Original Trilogy alone and without even touching it, continue building a world around it. Dawn of the Jedi, the Old Republic, and Legacy are infinitely more fun to read than whatever the hell Luke Skywalker is up to inbetween fighting his impending incontinence and dementia. I think the future of Star Wars as a franchise should be more about this world that's been built than any specific characters.

/end rant. I'm bitter and way too concerned with Star Wars for a man my age.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

arioch posted:

I'd emptyquote this if I could. But gently caress Troy Denning. Fire him, burn his books, salt the loving earth.

I've heard rumors that apparently Matthew Stover has expressed interest in writing the deaths of the OT characters in some sort of "final adventure." By god, I'd personally fly out and kiss whoever greenlighted that. It'll probably never happen though..

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, Stover and Zahn have both said they'd be interested in doing something like that. It could be pretty good but I don't imagine it'll be happening any time soon; Luke was apparently slated to die way back in Vector Prime but Lucas himself vetoed it.

It seems that Troy Denning is what sells at this point; he wouldn't be writing if people weren't buying them. I've seen more than one fan on the internet praising him (and Karen Traviss as well, when she was writing) for making Star Wars more mature. This bothers me.

I'll always defend Traviss. While she may be a nutjob as a person, I count her Commando books as some of my favorite. And I somewhat agree with her (to a point) that the Jedi are a bunch of holier-than-thou dipshits that just want everyone to shut up because using the force somehow makes them know how to run a Galaxy better than anyone else.

At least the various Sith tried to do something about the state of the Galaxy. The Jedi mostly just sit around eating tofu and not getting laid while telling everyone else what to do with their lives.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I once vowed to own at least one copy of every paperback novel released in the Star Wars EU. I am currently achieving that goal, with the only novels I'm missing are the ones that are still only available in hardback.

However, after finishing Apocalypse and hearing about Crucible, I can't help but imagine all the wondrous things I could have bought with the money I've spent on this collection. Now I don't know if I should keep it up out of sheer principle, or tuck my shame away in the closet.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Looks like pretty standard fare to me. And I doubt they were serious about the canon thing. That line reeks of a bad joke.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

One aspect of the LOTF series that could have been very interesting if they'd paid more attention to it was that Jacen Solo had been off the radar for five years learning about the Force from non-Jedi groups.

That was the one thing I was optimistic about during early FOTJ. They kept saying Luke was going to retrace Jacen's footsteps during that five years, and we ended up with a couple rather forgettable stops that amounted to nothing more than "Yeah, he was here. We taught him stuff."

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I finally picked up Death Troopers and Red Harvest, but which should I read first? I know Red Harvest is a prequel, but since it was written after Death Troopers I"m assuming the author intended DT to be read first?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I will say one good thing about LOTF and FOTJ:

I've always been a huge fan of NJO and the Yuuzhan Vong in particular. I ate it up back when that series was in full swing. But I distinctly remember everyone back then bitching and moaning about how absolutely terrible the NJO was.

But now that we have LOTF and FOTJ to look back on, everyone's chilled out and realized NJO could've been much much worse.

jivjov posted:

Mercy Kill is fantastic, with the caveat that having familiarity with the previous Wraith Squadron books is kind of a must if you want to have any emotional connection with the POV character and some of the things he goes through. Also, don't go into the book expecting a lot of tense dogfights and the like...for a book bearing the "X-Wing" name, there's a distinct lack of snubfighter combat.

I'm about midway through Mercy Kill right now, having never read the previous ones, and it's still very easy to build a connection with the characters. I had tears in my eyes when Bhindi died despite having little to no knowledge of her previously. The book is just so well written you can't help but feel love for the entire crew.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 4, 2012

Esroc
May 31, 2010

How much was Disney involved in the Marvel movies? Considering what we got with the Marvel Movieverse, and assuming Disney was heavily involved in them, I think we can afford to be optimistic about a new trilogy.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's just because we've got like 800x the amount of good content to wipe out the prequel memories with. Imagine if the last content you got, Star Wars-wise, was Episode 3. :smith:

Sometimes I want to jump in and defend Episode III, but then I remember that every time I see it I fast-forward and only watch the last 30 minutes or so..:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I feel bad for whoever ends up being the director of the new movies. Every week a news story breaks linking a famous director to the movies, only to be debunked the very next day. Whoever does eventually get chosen won't be able to live up to the drat hype.