Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jedi Knight 1 superior in all ways, including multiplayer :colbert:

JK2 was fun mostly because my only strategy involved Force Choking people into pits. Someone posted stats from a server that a bunch of goons from Games played on and at least 60% of my kills were from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Zoran posted:

In defense of JK2 and Academy, those games ruled.

JK2 was 30% of a good game

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

The other thing he posted, just from the context of what you posted, is him going "Hey, this book provides valuable insight into how someone like Hitler thinks and acts" with a side of trolling, not "Boy, this is a jolly good book full of right ideas."

Just from his post about his Uni class, it sounds like he's in that rebellious stage where he automatically takes contrarian positions to common perceptions just to sound extra :smug:

What's next? Is he going to argue that the Civil War wasn't about slavery it was about State's rights?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 6, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

On the other hand, Rebel Stand is where Allston comes up with Lightsaber Limbs.

Really I think Allston is hit or miss. A lot of his Wraith stuff is good and I liked his NJO novels, but after Betrayal all his LOTF/FOTJ entries are "good" only by comparison to just how terrible all the other books in those series are.

I also think NJO has at least some really solid entries. Traitor, Destiny's Way, and Unifying Force are all top-tier Star Wars books, IMO. Stackpole, Allston, and Luceno's duologies (even if that one doesn't seem to be highly regarded) I also enjoyed.

Allston seems good when he's allowed to do his own thing. Ask him to cooperate with other people or work under some externally defined framework and he seems to turn into jello

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I'm sure he'd work fine if he were allowed to write with, say, Luceno, or some other good writer. But ask him to work with Karen Traviss... Yeah, even Stover would choke.

I think part of the problem is that Allston had to work with Traviss and Denning, who openly hated each other and were blatantly trying to undo each other's work. Allston tried to be too diplomatic instead of being the third side of the blade

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I don't understand why they wanted to bring Kathy Tyers back to write Balance Point. Did someone really love Truce At Bakura that much?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Any book containing a non-Mara love interest for Luke is poo poo no exceptions

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's amazing how bland and boring Star By Star is considering what it was supposed to be about. Really says a lot about Denning as a writer

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Siivola posted:

It made Dark Journey look really good in comparison. A lot of it felt a bit rushed and kinda unpolished, but Cunningham's banter and wit made up for a lot. It also helps that the plot was essentially Jaina constantly one-upping herself at trolling the Vong. Still, I felt there was a lot of telling-not-showing going on, especially with the dark side bits. Her near fall and recovery didn't really feel all too satisfying as a result.

Someone awhile ago in one of these threads compared Jacen and Jaina's brush with the dark side. Jacen's experience involved poignant reflection, questioning the nature of the Force, gaining a deep understanding of the enemy, and becoming a badass while Jaina's involved flirting with boys and flying spaceships.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's amazing how awesomely Stover redeemed the completely worthless Ganner in only one book. Makes me wish he wrote the last NJO book and redeemed the whole series.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't Zahn have them briefly meet in Allegiance but it "doesn't count" because they didn't learn each other's names or something like that? I'm not sure if that was it exactly but whatever it was, it stuck out in my head. Part of the reason why I think Allegiance is Zahn's weakest Star Wars book by far, and the only one I am actively bored by.

Allegiance had Vader Googling Luke. Choices of One had her assisting Luke or something without him knowing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Auto-resolving battles was terrible but at least there was some vague guidelines and outcomes you could expect. Assassination and kidnapping missions were just completely pure luck, no matter who you send or how many decoys or what. I couldn't assassinate an injured Wedge even though I had the planet blockaded and all enemy defenses destroyed. It was like I was the bad guy in a damned Wraith Squadron novel

And if you were the Empire, you drat well better win the game early because if you get into some kind of stalemate it is only a matter of time before Luke goes :ssj: and captures everyone

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 4, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The strength of the Vong invasion was also highly bipolar (probably because of too many cooks in the kitchen).

Oh no they are so strong there is nothing we can do to stop them they keep coming...
Oh wait that's getting kind of boring. Let's make them a bit beatable but since they have so many warriors and ships and are ruthless they still overwhelm everyone...
Oh wait that makes no sense an initial beachhead and surge makes sense but once the galaxy switches over to war machine manufacturing mode then they can start pushing back on the equivalent of intergalactic nomads with no home and ridiculous supply chains...
No that's stupid everything goes to stalemate NOW only the stupid Deus Ex planet can end things...also this invading force which was apparently large enough to overwhelm an entire galaxy can go chill out in some system somewhere.

ImpAtom posted:

The Vong thing was trying too hard to be "changes the face of Star Wars FOREVER." We killed Chewbacca, motherfucker, this isn't your daddy's Star Wars!

Yeah, and then they go right back to the same old wacky adventures of Han, Luke, and Leia cheating death with special guest apperance by Lando with no one else dying except for other minor EU characters (with on obvious exception later on).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't they just hide in a basement or something?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Personperson14 posted:

Don't really get how you can get mad over the books not being canon, if you like them can't you still enjoy them?

Well, basically the post-ROTJ EU works we all know are now basically fan fiction. Realistically most of the works are no better than terrible fan fiction but the illusion is now gone drat it :mad:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

My vision of Star Wars is good vs evil, with the heroes struggling to win, and the major characters making it through. (Otherwise, either Lando or Wedge would have died inside the second Death Star.)
For the record, this isn't just because Mara was my creation. I'd have argued against killing Chewbacca for the same reason.

No Timothy, this whole dark hero/blurred lines thing is all the rage. Teenagers love it because it makes them feel deep

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

astr0man posted:

You have been banned from this server for failing to bow before and after a duel

I think I got kicked/banned from some Jedi Outcast servers for being a pit whore

quote:

It was revealed to be a scam after he offered to sell copies for $100 and was taken down from most JA mod sites. Man ,that games multiplayer community had a lot of drama and I loved every minute of it.

Still got nothing on Team Gizka

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The only thing fun about TFU were the DLC alternate universe battles

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I'm just going to cross-post from the GOG.com thread.

All that said, it's fun in the same way Risk can be fun. Also, you do get weird stories like the one I described above.

The capture/kill poo poo never worked the way it said it could. I had Wedge Antilles trapped on a planet I blockaded. I destroyed all troops and defenses and Wedge was even injured. I tried capturing him with my best infiltration dude with Noghri acting as decoys and they failed. Added more decoys, failed. Added my second best infiltrator as a decoy, still failed. Got pissed off and just invaded the planet and he escaped. The only drat way to capture anyone in that game reliably is to just capture every enemy planet and then invade the one they are on.

Auto-resolve battles suck but the 3-D battle mode was crash happy.

Multiplayer could be fun, but good luck getting anyone who show up again to finish the game.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tobaccrow posted:

If they add the GOG version of TIE Fighter, I might bite on the highest tier. I'm just too lazy to get my CD copies working on my current machine.

The GOG forces you to choose between the updated engine version without the cool audio or the out-of-date floppy disk version :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A wiki style plot summary of Star by Star would have sold just as well. Denning added nothing to it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Grand Admiral Thrawn is going to be a short-order cook that works in a 1950s diner in Coreilla, Mara Jade will be some swift talking junk-yard salesmen

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Late late late to the Thrawn talk, but he wasn't as overpowered as some people make him out to be. There are a couple of leaps that he takes which are kind of a stretch, but he also makes plenty of miscalculations and mistakes. And some of his good fortune is derived from dumb luck and/or his reputation for being a genius

And as for the art thing, you could probably argue that he wasn't just studying one piece of art and calling it a day but drawing on a vast collection of art as well as a history of behavior

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know what you mean; given the choice between a complete set of KJA EU novels on one hand and the Troy Denning oeuvre on the other, I'd be going with Anderson. I mean, a lot of his stuff was monumentally stupid, but at least it was fun to read when I was a kid.

Yeah, KJA's stuff is cringe worthy now but I'll take really stupid, dumb fun over pretentious, plodding, and dark any day of the week.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

KurdtLives posted:

I am not anti-Thrawn but he shouldn't figure out my exact tactics based listening to a Nickelback song or watching a Michael Bay movie just because they are from Earth [or possibly Hell].

Hmmm they love Nickelback they are therefore highly repetitive and will continually fall into a predictable pattern

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Triplet is fantastic. So is Spinneret. Man I miss Zahn's old stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Triplet, Warhorse, and Spinneret are some of Zahn's older works that I wish he'd get back to. I enjoyed Angelmass too. Really all his books are good but I'd start off with his older works (Icarus, Conquerors, or older)