Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I did re-read the first Jedi Academy book a few years ago. It's dumb but fun once you accept it's going to be dumb.

The tonal whiplash from people heading into it right after finishing the Thrawn Trilogy back in 1994 must have been intense, though. It is kind of bold, especially for the time, how they made their second big Star Wars book trilogy into a sequel for the comics rather than the blockbuster first book trilogy. I feel like the Star Wars EU has to be the original DNA for the current obsession with cross-platform shared continuity media series.

It felt very weird, because I hadn't read the Dark Empire comics, so when the book starts with reconstruction of Coruscant, and talking about the Emperor Reborn being defeated, I was, "Wait, what the hell happened?"

Strangely enough, the N64 Rogue Squadron game that came out around then helped a little with context, because the last round of the game had you piloting a V-Wing against some World Devastators on Mon Calamari, which is apparently from the comics.

Awww yeah. That's the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dawgstar posted:

In TFU I think they do at least mention Garm Bel Iblis who I feel like is a Thrawn creation.

Zahn creation, but yeah, you got the basic idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Angry Salami posted:

TIE Fighter had Thrawn in it.

Yup, it's where I lifted the Thrawn part of my avatar from.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/bensolobaby/status/1221857176542683136

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

The story group literally existed to keep all the various projects in line with each other. It is not the fault or failing of the story group that Abrams and Terrio went up the chain to ignore them.

I'm probably going to regret this, but what makes you think Abrams and Terrio went "up the chain" to ignore the story group other than the story group was ignored? This is what we've been telling you for years. The story group will probably keep books and comics in continuity with each other, but the moment a filmmaker wants to ignore them they'll have no teeth. This was the first example of the story group maybe having teeth, and they did nothing.

Also, out of curiosity, what started this? What part of TROS contradicted some previously established plot point?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey uh. My friend got into Star Wars via Mandy and I thought to check out the OP here for some recs and uh, the optics look extremely bad with only one women in the recced authors list, and she's got an attached screed about how she's the devil incarnate.

Could you uh, update it? Please?

*checks quickly to see if this is one of the Star Wars threads I’m OP for*

Oh good, I don’t have to do poo poo.

Also, read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray. It’s great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Also in keeping with the Dark Empire/Episode IX comparisons, we almost got a David Bowie rebel pilot:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-rise-of-skywalker-couldve-given-us-a-giant-tank-sha-1842585152

Uh, as amazing as that is, way to bury the lead on BB-8 Tank!

I honestly can't decide if I love this or hate it. Every time I think I decide, I change my mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Ben literally, canonically, explicitly, was abused all his life and doesn't even get a happy ending at the end of it. He just drops dead, unmissed, unmourned, unremembered. And he's just GONE. Anakin gets to come back as a force ghost (and a young and hale and hearty force ghost in the most recent canonical depiction). Ben just vanishes forever. Great message for kids, there.

The Sith have always been about pushing immortality above all else. Screw family, screw the condition of your actual body, just keep living. The Jedi learned to accept death and, through that, achieve life after death through the Force. Ben dies, as does the Skywalker bloodline, but the point of Rey taking on the Skywalker name is that the Skywalkers will live on through her. Life after death. It's clumsy, for sure, but it's there. The Skywalkers have achieved that same oneness with the Force that the Jedi eventually found. The bloodline doesn't matter. Not really. The Skywalkers, and the Jedi, live on in Rey.

As for Ben, there's no reason to believe he won't achieve that same life after death. Just because we didn't see his Force ghost doesn't mean anything. We didn't see Qui-Gon's Force ghost immediately in The Phantom Menace either, only heard it (very) briefly in AOTC and then saw it in The Clone Wars. Ben found his peace and has Leia and Luke, his mother and uncle, to help guide his path (as the original scripts for ROTJ say Obi-Wan and Yoda would do for Anakin, yes I know this isn't canon but I don't care, it's in the bones of Star Wars).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I’m in this one. I picked the best character.

Um, who are you? Have you said before? Are you allowed to say?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

You have any source showing Wendig called for the IA to be shut down? Cause literally every source posted has just been a call against the piracy of his works. That's it.

E: If i know someone is stealing me and and my friend's lunches out of the break room fridge, and I complain about it, i'm not asking for that person to be eradicated from existence, or even fired from the job. Literally the only thing I'm seeking is for them to Stop Doing That Thing. So pointing out "The IA is enabling piracy" is not a call for the IA to be sued, shut down, etc...its just a call for them to Stop Doing That Thing.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Please use the nice new thread! Thank you!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Delayed until early 2021.

This isn't surprising. All of existence has been paused. Somehow the movie Tenant being delayed 2 weeks pushed WW84, which wasn't even being released the same week as Tenant's new release week, to be pushed back 2 god drat months.

Yes, I'm salty that I still haven't been able to see WW84.

Anyway, I'm not shocked the new High Republic books have been pushed back. 2020 is going to be seen largely as a lost year where we all just held on and hoped we didn't die. Hopefully that means we have lots of fun poo poo to do see and read in 2021? Maybe? Please?

...we're all screwed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

OctoberCountry posted:

Oh, hey, turns out he's covered for sexual predators as well as bullying and gaslighting victims of abuse

Source? Not doubting you, just want to know what you're talking about.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/glaad/status/1288883182486659073?s=21

Awesome news. I’d say chances of a live action adaptation just increased. Which is great.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought there already was one in development?

I can't really keep track of all the movie or Disney Plus shows that are at some stage of supposed development any more. I think I saw that there are officially eight movies and five TV shows at some stage of official confirmation. Though I'm guessing the likelihood of even the majority of those coming out is low.

I've heard rumors of a Doctor Aphra show being in development, but I don't remember seeing anything more concrete than that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This is from a week ago, but I know people were posting about Squadrons in here a while back, and this gameplay video has shot my expectations through the god drat roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGSkCalsisU

Looks like my favorite parts of flight sim portions of the 2005 Battlefront II on steroids. Taking out portions of the capital ship during fleet battles, stuff like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xenomrph posted:

Did you play the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter flightsims from the 90s? Squadrons is a spiritual successor to those.

I did, but, and I can't say why, the gameplay in this feels more like the Galactic Conquest mode flight battles in the old 2005 Battlefront II to me. And I don't mean that in a bad way. I loved that game, and Galactic Conquest mode was my favorite way to play it. But picking from various classes of ships, taking down either other fighters, or taking out capital ships one piece at a time (shield generators, guns, etc.), that all reminds me of that. I guess the HUD is more X-Wing/TIE Fighter. So a marriage of the two.

Either way, I'm psyched.

jivjov posted:

Common consensus seems to be that leakers saw casting calls/information for the Aphra audio drama that just released recently and assumed it was for a D+ project.

That makes a lot of sense. I'm still hoping for an adaptation, though. Hopefully the GLAAD award gets it some more exposure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

The Shakespeare Star Wars adaptations are very solid. Some of the better Star Wars books of the last few years.

My wife won those at a raffle at a 501st event back at the 2017 Celebration in Orlando, and I still haven't cracked it open. I may have to, now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This is a great breakdown of the various Shadows of the Empire projects, including a long interview with one of the devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gsmE_hoNsI

I remember my brother kept hyping that show The Toys That Made Us on Netflix, and the first (?) episode is on Star Wars. And it's, like, alright for most of it, but when they get to the 90's, they completely skip over the whole Shadows of the Empire era. And yeah, that was more than just toys, but toys were a big part of it. And I was really looking forward to hearing them talk about the whole multimedia blitz Shadows was. So to skip from the late 80's to Episode I was super disappointing, and made me realize that show was probably going to be poo poo for the other topics I knew less about.

Going to give this a watch later when I get the chance. Thanks!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Wait, what is the Republic capitol supposed to be during this period? Wookieepedia says Nakadia but doesn't Mando take place after the Battle of Jakku (and thus beyond the Aftermath books)?

Also those droid-looking things with Gideon are literally called Dark Troopers in the descriptive audio version of the episode

I think the answer is who knows? The Aftermath books say the plan is the move the capital regularly, so I have no idea where it’s supposed to be 5 years after the Battle of Endor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

It's a shame that we didn't get Colin Treverrow's episode 9, since it was going to include both Bossk and Kuat in it.

Wait, what?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lost Stars is fantastic. Bloodline, by the same author, is also really good. Thrawn was pretty good, but the other Zahn books about Thrawn have been pretty poo poo.

The Aftermath books are...mostly god awful bullshit, with slight glimmers of wonderful. They introduce Sinjir, who is one of my favorite new characters ever. He’s great. And honestly, the depths of which they’re bad reach a level that I think has to be seen to be believed. And some of the Interludes they do are fun. If you listen to podcasts a lot, I’d recommend given the audiobooks a listen as a change of pace for a laugh. Then the present tense doesn’t bother you as much either, because it sounds like a radio play, with sound effects and score and all. But seriously, they’re loving nuts.

The standalone Ahsoka book doesn’t get much love around here, but I really liked it. It helps that I listened to the audiobook for it as well, which was read by Ashley Eckstein. Aces, and fits the mood of the recent episode of Mando rather well.

Beyond that...it’s a bunch of forgettable nothing. They’ve smoothed out the rough edges of the old EU. That means nothing truly terrible like Children of the Jedi or Crystal Star, but nothing really great either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't Cobb Vanth from Aftermath?

Yeah, but in a series of Interludes. Nowhere near a main character, or even a side character. Barely there, though what’s there was good. Just kind of peppered in here and there over three books. That’s one of the rare gems I mentioned.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lord Hydronium posted:

Do you include the first book of the new Chiss trilogy he's been doing in that? After reading Thrawn (which I enjoyed) I wasn't really in a rush to read either of the two sequels, but that one sounded cool.

To be fair, no, because I haven’t read it. The last couple (Alliances and Treason) burned me out, and just made me sad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Gripweed posted:

I used to like Star Wars books a lot when I was a child. I haven't read any in years, I largely stopped caring about the franchise after I saw The Phantom Menace, but I see that they're doing novels in the new continuity and I'm kinda interested. Are any of the new ones any good?

I should say, what I really liked about the Star Wars books as a kid was how they'd be about wild stuff not in the movies, like Leia's kids or X-Wing squads or weird aliens. Are the new books branching off into uncharted territory like that or are they sticking with "Here's what this major character did in between the movies!"

This isn't really directed at you, but drat, the OP really needs to be updated because this question is asked on occasion and we get basically the same answers every time. Again, not directed at you, the answers get buried, and the OP is 10 god drat years old. That's before the loving Disney buyout. And the questions that are answered in the OP aren't even canon anymore.

It may be time for a new book barn thread, because we can't really update the OP, since the author of the thread hasn't posted in here since 2011. Anyone object to me making it?

If everyone is good with a new book barn thread, please put your ultimate recommendations that should be included in the OP here again so I can try to make a consensus (ha). Put anything from Legends as well that you think is still worth revisiting.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 17, 2020

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I think I'm just gonna go ahead and make a new Book Barn thread. I'm actually almost done with it, scanning back through the thread to grab recommendations for a few consensus books I haven't read. Should be up soon.

I'll have a section on how bad the Aftermath books are, and whether that means you should read them or not.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

:siren: New Star Wars Book Barn Thread Here! :siren:

The time has finally come. 10 years and almost 700 pages here is long enough. Head on over there, please, and have your Star Wars Book discussions there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Don't forget, we have a new thread.

thrawn527 posted:

:siren: New Star Wars Book Barn Thread Here! :siren:

The time has finally come. 10 years and almost 700 pages here is long enough. Head on over there, please, and have your Star Wars Book discussions there.

edit: Well that's one hell of a snipe.