Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I was hoping for at least one in Rogue One at some point, but I didn't see any. It would've been nice to have one on the team, maybe. Or any alien for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I don't think that's how it works. I'm pretty sure 1.0 isn't exactly c so much as it is just a standard non-c reference velocity, and it's linear from there, with 0.5 being twice that, 2 being half that, etc. If 1 were c, then ISDs, which have a class 2, would take years to get to even the nearest system.

e: And Episode 2 would've featured Obi-wan and the Fetts dying of old age long before they reached Geonosis.

Tumblr of scotch fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 26, 2017

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I just want a proper Star Wars noir detective film, shot in black and white, with narration by the protagonist.

Please do this thing, Disney.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I definitely think that if a sequel trilogy had happened in the 1990s, it would have been a whole lot closer tonally to Dark Empire than the Thrawn trilogy.

Now, on the one hand, it was pretty naff, but at the same time, I appreciate that it at least tried to move the technology of the universe forward. You got Luke trading in his X-Wing for a brand new state of the art E-wing and the front line of the New Republic's fleet were the new K-Wing heavy bombers. Plenty of people have complained and not without justification about how technology is stuck in movie-era stasis (and not just in subsequent novels, such as the NJO and its constant string of new iterations of the X-Wing, but quite prominently with The Force Awakens as well) but moving forward had been tried.

If it taken place in a better novel series, it might even have stuck. Who can say?
I dunno, I think the slow advance of technology is something I can forgive them for. I mean, for one, when you've already invented almost everything, where is there for technology to go but incremental improvements until some breakthrough is made? And for two, considering we're still using and upgrading bombers that haven't even been produced in the last 50 years... :v:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

They've already said they're not going to use CGI Carrie Fisher in 9.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Cushing

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Saw the butt of an A-wing in the trailer. Gives me hope.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I still hope Rey's parents prove to be no one of note or importance. She came from nothing because she has talent and drive, not because of who her parents were.
Yeah, same. gently caress Star Wars's "everyone important is always related to just a few families" nonsense. Rey should be her own thing, and Finn's not a Calrissian.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

A while ago I read an article from someone who knew someone who knew someone who knew someone who had read the script, and they claimed the conversation goes like this

Rey asks Luke: "Are you my father?" To which Luke replies: "No. YOU are my father."
Then they go into a whole bit how the Chosen One gets reincarnated every few generations, and apparently Rey is not specifically Anakin, but the latest in a line of Chosen Ones of which Anakin was the previous one.

Which, depending on the talent of your writers, is most likely either the dumbest thing ever, or, if you have extremely good writers, might just work, with an Avatar Aang/Korra kind of vibe. But the dialogue quoted above is a REALLY clunky way of getting into the matter and feels like a silly callback for callback's sake.
I didn't know Supershadow had an account here.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Ah, the Welsh Leia.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

"To become a Jedi, you must master the following professions three; Chef, Creature Handler and Bounty Hunter...."
That was a stupid system and Jedi should never have been playable in the game at all. :colbert:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

That MMO was really really unlucky. At the mercy of SOE, LucasArts marketeering AND being rushed?
After reading a bunch of stuff on Raph Koster's blog I'm convinced it was mostly LA's fault, with most SOE-induced problems peanuts in comparison.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It was way more ambitious than it had any right to be. It's still the best crafting system I've seen. It's too bad the combat system was horribly imbalances and also completely broken. Oh and the severe lack of content.
Perhaps appropriately, it reached for the stars. Then when it missed and careened back down it burned up, screaming and swearing the whole way.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

This has been the worst Trade Federation in the history of federations, maybe ever.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

So I was at the mall today and decided to poke my head into the Lego store, and apparently there's a fairly large set of a TIE Phantom. Like, really? Wasn't it in all of one not-very-good rail shooter from 20 years ago?

(which I nonetheless played a lot because it was one of the few video games my computer could run decently)

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Pops Mgee posted:

Are you sure it wasn't the defender or striker? Those would make a lot more sense especially because they just made the defender canon in rebels. Also Rebel Assault 2 was at least kinda cool the same way Dark Forces II was cool because of the cheesy fmvs.
It could've been a Striker I guess but it definitely wasn't a Defender, it had the straight-out panels.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

I think that was it and I just assumed I couldn't see the third panel because of the angle/laser. I'm kind of weirdly disappointed now. Lego needs to do an actual TIE Phantom. And TIE Hunter and K-Wing and all those other obscure one-off things.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Preechr posted:

The TIE Interceptor is forever the most beautiful TIE and all subsequent wannabe TIE multi-panel abortions can just gently caress right off back to the hole they buried the EU in. :colbert:
I miss the Squint that I had back when SWG was a thing. It wasn't even that stupid red RGI variant with the high mass either, it was a proper no-shields-no-armor zoombox.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Gnome de plume posted:

Does he have any thoughts on what a gentleman who's lost both hands would do?
A lightsaber is the perfect size to hold in one's mouth.

Just make sure it's pointing the right way before turning it on.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Skoll posted:

Like someone else said, their early games. Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, my personal favorite Jade Empire. I heard the first Dragon Age was stellar but I honestly never played more than an hour of it.
:respek: Jade Empire 2 when?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't get news alerts or anything, I just assumed there must have been something where this new spaceship appeared. I've seen the model now, though.

There was a bit in Darksaber where Pellaeon mentions that building the Executor almost bankrupted the Empire, which makes one wonder what sort of loans Palpatine had to take out to build the second Death Star. :v:
Related

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Lord Hydronium posted:

The TPM score is excellent, and not just for Duel of the Fates. There's some great new themes, but there's also a lot of very memorable non-thematic cues (the escape from Naboo, the arrival on Tatooine, both establishing scenes of Coruscant, and the Jedi Council music to name a few). It feels familiar to Star Wars, but fresh and distinct from the OT scores, even if there's nothing quite as out of the box as in ROTS. I'd put it second in the saga, just after ESB's score (which is goddamn perfection).

TFA has some great thematic material, but all the incidental music and action cues feel kind of indistinguishable. I enjoy it, but it's in the middle of the pack.
Personally I think the best theme to come out of Ep1 was The Flag Parade at the setting-up of the podracing sequence. Williams did a good job at making it feel like the kind of music they might actually play at a event like that.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Jazerus posted:

unambiguously good eu books is really a fairly short list

everything by zahn, all of the x-wing books, the episode 3 novelization, darth plagueis

i'm honestly having trouble thinking of anything beyond those. the let's read thread will allow you to enjoy the bad books too though, without even needing to read them yourself
Also the Coruscant Nights books and anything by Matt Stover.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Squints are definitely up there for me, as are A-wings. I guess I like em fast.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Skoll posted:

Yeah the Star Destroyer wedge is just insanely iconic. I think it partially has to do with the opening scene of Star Wars where it just seems to go on for miles.
It does go on for one mile, at least! :v:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Being a semi-remake-ish of Ep4 (or really of the whole OT, since it had aspects of all three) may have been an intentional move to make Star Wars feel safe and familiar again after the prequel trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Saw TLJ with my girlfriend shortly after Christmas. Thoughts:

Cranky old First Order Admiral is my homeboy.

Crystal foxes are way cuter than porgs.

Snoke sitting around in a gold bathrobe he probably got from Space Macy's was hilarious.

Kylo Ren is much more frightening as a villain now that we've seen categorically what a manipulative, gaslighting, abusive piece of MRA/PUA poo poo he is.

Mark Hamill did a great job of selling "ugh, this bullshit?".

Seeing Poe's plan end in the most pyrrhic of victories was aces.

Eat the rich.

Holdo did nothing wrong.