Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

dark_panda posted:

I say "correct" in quotes just 'cause I tend to think that the "correct" way to play a guitar is whatever way serves you best and gets what you want out of the instrument.
This is so right.
I started playing at a very early age, took a few years of lessons, went my own way and graduated high school from a fine arts private school where I learned classical guitar.

My friends laugh because of how my body position, stance, the way I hold my guitar changes based on what I'm playing. There are times that I'm all 'Mr. Pro-classical dude' and later in the set I'm all Jimi with my thumb hanging over the neck.

Some of this too will depend on your guitars, my thin necks really lend themselves to using my entire hand while some of the thicker necks (I'm really looking at my Les Pauls here) force more of a classical position to be comfortable, ESPECIALLY up on the high frets.

My suggestion would be to learn 'correctly' at first, then over time you'll develop your own style, based more on what feels good to you.

Now, on to the subject at hand.

I recently bought a cheap little Les Paul Studio and had it set up to be a slide guitar, new raised nut, flat radius and all. What's a good resource for learning a Duane Allman/Derek Trucks style of slide? Books are great, video's a secondary option, whatever works out the best. I'm primarily interested in open-E tunings.

Btw:

Zo posted:

I don't think it's a waste of money even though it's not for me. If I ever plateau looking for a good teacher and learning a new style or something will probably be the first thing I do.
I love lessons. I always seem to get something from them, right now I'm taking Jazz lessons from a local (amazing) guy and it's done some really good stuff for my phrasing and overall fretboard dexterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sylink posted:

Is this just something I have to train hard at or should I become some sort of legato god?
Picking is just another technique like any other. Use a metronome for the various exercises (at first you can just do single speed drills) and you'll get faster and faster before you know it.

Picking's probably the most neglected part of anyone's practice routine, I neglected it for years.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

And go slowly, and stretch beforehand.
Take it easy and make sure you're playing CLEANLY.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Either my Vox AC30 or my Orange AD30 have no issues overpowering my drummer (who's pretty heavy-handed) through a sealed 2X12 cab.

Both are on the edge of natural breakup at that point, but since I don't care for a perfectly clean tone, that's fine with me.

I greatly prefer gigging with 30 watts since I can drive the holy hell out of them, get the tubes cooked good and hot and not have the sound guy attempting to murder me by the end of the night.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

How kosher would it be to mention my fledgling guitar/music store and offer deals on starter guitars in here?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

What's the best option for someone needing to cram cover songs accurately?
I was browsing the iPad store and came across the Songsterr app and it looks like something to get the results I want, is there anything better? A big bonus would be letting me load up an MP3 and play along with it in-app. Something for OS X wouldn't be bad either but I would definitely prefer the iPad option mostly.

Incidentally, yes, I agree that figuring things out on my own is the best way to learn but I'm not interested in learning to play the guitar so much as settling into a possible band spot as quickly as possible (hopefully that didn't sound snarky).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sorry, that would have been good information to include!

Cover band, mostly 80's-ish hair metal, a smattering of the classics and as much of the newer wave of RnR that I can get them to stand.

Fake books are a good option, I'll be taking over the lead guitar slot so being able to nail the solos is important to me. I've been doing my own thing for so long that even though the songs themselves are still familiar (the 'holy poo poo I remember Crazy Train!' moment during practice was hilarious) I'm basically starting from near-scratch and buying enough books would cause me to go broke.

Honestly, that Songsterr thing looks cool as hell, I'm just worried it sucks or something.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Warcabbit posted:

Ultimate Guitar Tabs app? I don't know Songsterr, but seriously, just print some tabs and go f'n wild, as I see it. Don't overthink stuff. Get a decent bunch of songs and practice. It'll come back to you, most of the solos are just scale runs anyhow.

DEATH TO ALL BUT METAL!

Thanks, you're right and I DO tend to overthink things.
The last time I did this was erm...back when the songs were CURRENT. Yes, I'm old.

Let me go ahead and rant about how loving awesome things are for this sort of thing these days, my God I remember scrounging for copies of Guitar For the Practicing Musician and others and that ONE GUY who had a tab book and walking 10 miles uphill both ways in the snow for one of those 1/2 speed tape players and get off my lawn you kids!

Meh, life is good, excuse me, I need to go shred some acid washed jeans.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

If you want a Tele why are you getting one with humbuckers :v:
I put a Seymour Duncan mini-humbucker in my old American Tele and it's quite possibly the heaviest sounding guitar I've ever owned.
I'd never have believed it until I got mine, but Teles can be some wickedly evil sounding bastards.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It's actually a Les Paul Traditional Pro P90.
Les Pauls with P90s are the absolute best.
Nice guitar man, I love mine and I've been knocking around the idea of a 54 RI to go with my Standard.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Well gently caress, I dunno if I ever posted it, but here's my favorite, my Custom Shop Standard with P90s:

I absolutely love the guitar, 59 neck, tone for days, fat and bitey and chimey all at the same time. Plays like a beast and looks absolutely beautiful to me.

Well, I've seen this for a few months and don't know why it happened today, but a thing happened:

Negotiating the deal through a friend while I'm stuck at home recovering was fun, believe me.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Verizian posted:

First time I've seen a Les Paul that actually looks good.
Which one? :D

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Verizian posted:

Swap the p90 covers for black ones and the gold knobs for black or chromed collets and you'll get as close to visual perfection as possible.
I'm with you on swapping out the gold knobs (and removing the chrome pickup covers) but swap out the p90 covers!?

Tortex plectrums at 20 paces, sir.

I've actually got a set of the Slash Alnico II zebras knocking around that'll probably make their way into that thing at some point.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Needs a good cleaning, and I'm probably gonna put a Bigsby on it.
Beautiful!
Don't forget to oil that fretboard. It looks as dry as mine.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

I've never heard of tapping a P90 but I am intrigued
I had one custom wound for an SG bridge position a while back, tapped it for leads and whatnot for a much rawer sound and a bit of built in volume boost.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

It sounds like you had it wired the "wrong" way around, then, because tapping it would've made it sound tamer and have a drop in volume :confused:
Hell I dunno, I told him what I wanted and he made it happen. :)
I pulled the volume pot for that pickup and it made it a little louder and a bit more 'raw' sounding. Apologies if I used the wrong term, I don't get much into the mechanics of these things, I just like making noise.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

muike posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on you, it just sounded a little backwards to me, don't sweat it
Nah man, we're all good. I didn't take it negatively at all and wasn't intending to sound defensive.
My tech laughs at me due to the breadth of knowledge I have on so many random subjects but when it comes to the simplest things about guitar tech I go all 'duh make sound loud, gnarly, you go make good'. :)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Jeff Goldblum posted:

EDIT: otherwise if anyone else like me has had an itch for a smaller, inexpensive fretted novelty and found something cool, let me know. I've stared at dulcimers and bouzoukis for months, trying to settle on something.
Get a ukelele. Seriously.
I don't have one personally but most of my other guitar playing friends do and anytime they pull them out at a party of something people go nuts. They love those drat things.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Well, that and a Tele. And maybe something pointy for metal.
Redundant statement here.
Teles ARE metal.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Echoing the 'wait to buy another guitar', at this point you don't know what you really WANT out of a guitar short of the aesthetics. Eventually you'll form your own opinions about the various options and WHY.

Hell, it was 20 years before I really learned to appreciate P90s, so it's a neverending sort of thing.

And yeah, you can buy a Gibson for that price.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

First thing I found out is that all the volume knobs should be maxed out most of the time.
False. Through a nice (tube) amp there's a WORLD of different sounds that you can get just by twiddling the volume knob alone.

I actually think that's one of the single biggest mistakes new players make is in neglecting to learn the dynamics of their guitars electronics.
The second might be 'bridge pickup for leads'.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

Nothing wrong with using a bridge pickup for leads. How else can you hit bitchin' pinch harmonics?
Fair enough, I phrased that poorly, I meant it as 'rules taken to be adhered to 100%' or something like that.

That said, I got zero issues hitting bitchin' pinch harmonics on my neck pickups at all, from pretty much anywhere on the neck. :c00l:

I remember when Zakk hit the scene and we decided to cover several from his first album (mainly Miracle Man, still one of my favs). The pinch harmonic thing was such a gimmick back then it got to be a huge habit, a HUGE habit that, if I'm not careful, still rears it's ugly head from time to time.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Where's the best place to get acoustic pickguards made? I'd like something custom, the one on my Songwriter peeled up at the edges and came off.

Kind of lovely for such a pricey loving guitar.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Oh hot drat, I picked up another one for my MIDI switching rig. Thanks!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

I'm looking into an SG Jr., but I'm a bit concerned by only having only one pickup, a P90 at the bridge. I'd like to have some versatility with it, both rhythm and lead parts, across a variety of styles. Think it's doable? I also considered adding a neck mount jazz humbucker, but I feel like that would be a lot of work for very little return. Any options I'm not seeing here?
There's not much I can't accomplish with the bridge P90 on my LP, having the neck one adds that much more, but I wouldn't feel held back by a single one at all. Get used to working your volume and tone control, but you'll be fine. It'll make you work on your dynamics a lot, that's for sure.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

RetardedRobots posted:

I can't even imagine soloing the neck pickup.
Really? I'm on mine a lot, not ALL the time but I solo quite a bit on the neck, it's just got this smooth bitey tone that's perfect.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

TopherCStone posted:

Any other suggestions for specific models?
Seymour Duncan Antiquity.
I've got a friend who's a nut for pickup swaps and he says ALL of the Seymour Duncan P90s are exceptional.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

beergod posted:

I think it would be fun to play my electric guitar through my computer in GarageBand or something. The Apogee Jam looks perfect for that; can anyone advise whether that's a good product?
I have horrible HORRIBLE feedback issues in GarageBand, even when wearing headphones, it's bizarre. I use the iRig and I've used 2 different ones thinking one might be bad but no dice. Maybe the Apogee Jam would be better for that?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

beergod posted:

I don't think I'll ever be able to play a barre chord. Is this a normal feeling to have?
Yup, it'll happen, just keep working at it.
They're like that dratted F chord.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

the posted:

The OP says a lovely guitar will sound like poo poo. Why, though? What's the sound difference between a $100 guitar and a $1000 guitar? I'm speaking of electric, specifically.
Ehh, this is a huge HUGE can of worms with some folks, but I'll take a stab.

Mainly, in my opinion 3 things:
1. Fit & Finish.
2. Fretboard Quality (The difference between sliding around on a rough, crappy board versus a nicely finished one is night and day)
3. Electronics, electronics, electronics.

Granted, #2 could probably fit with #1 but it directly affects playability so it has its own notation.

Fit and finish just flat out doesn't loving matter.
Grab a $100 guitar that PLAYS well, throw some nice pickups in it and you've got a screamer. I actually did this a while back with an Epi Les Paul I picked up in a batch for resale, played like butter but at ANY kind of volume the pickups screamed like mad and they had absolutely no sense of dynamics. Did a pickup swap on another Les Paul and had a spare set of Burstbuckers so I threw them in the Epi and there was zero difference in sound versus the real thing.

Granted, in a studio under perfect conditions, yeah, there's probably some differences in the wood quality, MAYBE (I don't really think so for the most part), but in the real world? Nah.
Mexi-Strats are the same way, hell, I've got a Squier Telecaster on the wall that plays as well as any US Tele I've ever put hands on, it just needs decent pickups.

Now this is assuming it's a DECENT cheap guitar, no bullshit with misaligned frets, warped boards, that sort of poo poo, so, there y'go.

Hell, I'll give you another one, even expensive guitars can sound like poo poo. I absolutely despise PRS pickups. I've owned several PRS with different configurations and while they're extremely well made guitars, their pickups are just lackluster and boring.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

shawn lane shawn lane shawn lane

I need to go through his work again and see what I can get out of his style this time. I wasn't very successful before.

I had a lesson from one of his students today and another on Wednesday, we chatted about him a bit, funny to see him pop up here today.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Not to answer for him, but a setup shouldn't cost a ton, a complete setup from the best luthier in Birmingham runs about $75.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Remulak posted:

Hmm, I only have one acoustic and the fretboard is looking thirsty. What's the right thing to do here?
Pure lemon oil, no detergents or crap in it.
It can be a bit of a bitch to find, Lowes/Home Depot usually has it in the cleaning supplies or Dunlop sells a little bottle with a cloth applicator on the top for a few bucks.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Yeah, I've always just snipped off the old strings and thrown on new ones, been doing it for over 20 years now with no ill effects. Just DO it and don't let the guitar set around without strings.

Don't overthink it, there are guitars out there that are used regularly for 60 years or so and you can bet for sure that they've not all been babied during their lives, they're pretty drat durable.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

treat posted:

Now, if somebody is willing to buy me some atrociously expensive top-end guitars to treat like poo poo and test this theory on, I'm all for it. When it comes to accosting the guitar gods, it's better me than you, right?
I do it the same way on my CS Gibsons and PRS as anything else.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Verizian posted:

I still say regular Les Paul's are ugly, except for purple or green ones with flame maple tops. Helps that this thing is incredibly light for a LP style too.
Just for you, because everyone else thinks I'm weird and that they're the wrong color:

Bottom one's slated for black knobs and zebra humbuckers as soon as I get off my rear end and get around to it.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

What's happening, purple Les Paul club??

\/ Hater :) \/
Hey man, your LP has a thing dangling below the pickups.
You should have that seen to before it metastasizes. ;)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Revvik posted:

The pick guard? I've thought about it but it's never bothered me enough to get rid of it (and risk losing it, which could be annoying). Not like I'm a stranger to taking it apart.
Yeah, I can't stand 'em on LPs, no idea why they just aren't right.

Neither of the two purples ones were ever drilled, I think the only ones I have that even still have them on are a mid-80s black standard that's my 'gigging/beatthefuckoutifit' and a plain mahogany slab studio that's set up for slide.

RE: Scale length, it's nothing I ever really think about, the song/set tends to dictate what guitar I'm using (and we manage sets around switching guitars, I rarely ever do it mid-set), a good friend a while back observed that my playing style changes DRASTICALLY based on what guitar I'm playing, regardless of the song in question. He says (and I've never really noticed it myself) that I get goofy aggressive on a Les Paul, restrained, reserved and very conservative on a Strat and 'clinical' on PRS (CU24, not a big fan of 22s). He says I should ditch everything but the LPs as a result. I dunno, I buy them based on how they feel and sound, not because of the scale, I just don't care.

On a sidenote: loving out of my regular strings for my PRS, put a lighter set on it and loving bottoming out and buzzing like a bitch. Piss.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

This is one with a pick guard I'd never take off.

No, I'd leave it on that one too.
It kind of draws the eye away from that Bigsby...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

nrr posted:

haha now you've done it
Oh no, see...people HERE aren't insane generally.

You want some REAL fun, make a negative remark about Bigsbys over on TGP.
Holy hell it's awesome.