Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Are these aphids or ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

eminkey2003 posted:

I want to watch TV on my monitor. I have a cable box with no HDMI. It's connected to a VCR, which is connected to my TV with RCA wires. Can I use an RCA to DVI cable to watch TV on my monitor? I've read that an HDMI to DVI cable does the job.

This is the wire I want to buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/180840774819?lpid=82

Your image quality will be absolute poo poo (rca cables are the lowest res available (outside of ancient technologies like RF boxes)) but it should work.
How does your cable box connect to the vcr? Probably coax or rca I guess, but I'd be surprised if your cable box doesn't have at least component inputs which will be much better. Even S-Vid would be an improvement.

From highest qual to worst qual:

Display Port
Component = HDMI
(fairly big gap)
S-Video
(fairly big gap)
Coax
RCA

Go for the highest ranking tech on that list your cable box supports.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

eminkey2003 posted:

Thanks for the tip. Is a Display Port the same as USB? My cable box has a USB port. I could also do S-Video.

Would RCA> DVI look at least watchable, or would it look blurry and pixelated like a low-res Youtube video? I don't care about high-res video as long as it's as watchable as my TV. I should mention that my TV is an old portable DVD player. :downs:

There's no recognized standard for video over usb afaik, so if it carries a video signal at all it is likely proprietary to the cable company / box manufacturer and used for interfacing with dvr equipment or something. In short, display port is different from usb.

RCA -> DVI will likely have the image quality of ~ a 360p youtube video, so watch one of those fullscreen and see if the IQ is acceptable to you. It's a rough comparison as YT vids can vary wildly as well, depending on source and encode, but at a guess the sharpness of a cable signal will be slightly better than the 360p vid, and the colors and saturation will be worse.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Vin BioEthanol posted:

If it's connected to a vcr with rca this is almost surely composite video and that adapter linked won't work. It's for component video. You probably have a yellow tipped cable for video and red and white ones for audio?

DVI and composite are way different and no simple adapter will exist, it will need some kind of active converter with circuitry inside and a power source.
If there is such a thing you'll still then have to make sure it outputs a resolution your monitor can display.

It's been years since I've had one or seen one used but you can buy video capture pci cards or usb things that will accept composite or svideo input that you can watch your video in a windows app or record to a file too.

edit: Something like this http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SVID2USB2-S-Video-Composite-Capture/dp/B000O5RIWO
You'll want to do some research before you buy something and make sure it will actually let you watch and not just dump to a file.

Ah this is correct, I hadn't noticed that adapter was for component and not composite.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Chernabog posted:

A long time ago I learned about this theory of acting that divided the body into different sections with meanings like thinking or emotion, and depending on the body pose they would display something accordingly. So for example, the fingers were a thinking part and extending them meant outwards thinking. Or something like that.

Does anybody know what the hell I am talking about? I can't remember what it is called.

Brecht's "gestus" is the only thing that comes to mind, not sure if that's what you're looking for

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

In Denver there's a radio station with nothing but stand up comedy. Occasionally they'll play old tracks from the 50s-80s. One thing I've noticed is that anything from, say, 1965 or earlier is pretty different than modern stand up which tends to be "funny observations and 'true', real-life stuff that happened to me" to broadly generalize. The older recordings are of a more jokey nature -- again, broadly generalizing, something like "A rabbi, a priest, and Buddha walk into a bar." These sound horribly dated and are almost always unfunny, but that might just be my modern sensibility.

Anyway, when did this culture change in stand up come about, and who led the way? At a guess I'd speculate Lenny Bruce and Bill Cosby, but I'd love to hear from someone who is more knowledgeable than myself.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

FCKGW posted:

I'm not an expert, but this site has a cool, brief history of standup.
http://www.youwillnotbelieve.us/history-of-stand-up/

Mort Sahl and Lenny Bruce really ushered in the sea change of stand-up and Richard Pryor and George Carlin brought it to the mainstream.

Thanks all for the feedback. This link in particular was really interesting. Also cross posted my question in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451683&pagenumber=39

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

MILTONS COD posted:

Two things, one maybe more simple than the other:

1. What's the best way to get rid of pilling on a t-shirt?

The best approach is prevention -- better quality t-shirts pill less, wash in cold water, wash less frequently if possible (if the shirt doesn't stink and isn't dirty don't wash it, etc). Follow care instructions on the label.
Otherwise, you can buy a specific pill / fuzz shaver thing but results are only so-so in my experience.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a piece of free or cheap software that will allow me to easily cut a portion of a VOB file without leaving a watermark?

I'm not 100% sure Handbrake supports vob but it's free and will only take a few seconds to try. In the top frame of the first tab, you can choose timestamps or exact frame range to grab.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

When someone refers to "buying a house in cash" or a business having "$1B cash assets" are they really referring to "buying a house with five thousand in currency and a wire transfer" and business having "about a billion in fairly liquid assets?"

Let's say I wanted to literally buy a house with cash. I mean empty out a checking account with $250,000- and leave carrying currency. Exactly how hard would this be?

That would be a terribly dumb thing to do. What if you get mugged? How is the realtor going to verify -- count out your $250k by hand? Hope you've got several hours to kill, and you better hope he doesn't miscount or lose track.

Yes, it's a wire transfer or a cashier's check.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What is actually happening at a biological level when you get shivers down your spine, like from great music or w/e. This is surprisingly hard to google.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

hooah posted:

Look up frisson. I'm not sure of the mechanics, but I went to a lecture once where the guy studied musically-induced frisson, so at least I can tell you the name of the phenomenon.

Thanks. That led me to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_sensory_meridian_response where the answer seems to be: we don't know, even to the point of not knowing whether it's a sensation all in the mind or if there is actually a bodily response / behavior.

e: This talks about it as well (specifically mentioning opera, which is interesting because that's what I get frisson from most often) but still doesn't really address what is going on at a biological level very much. It talks about what induces it and why, but not what that inducement creates. Is there a change in the brain's biochemistry? Is serotonin flooding the brain? Just curious as to the actual mechanics.

e2: The actual study the above article was based on goes into much more detail

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 3, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

^ I wonder if you might want to find a different picture of trees -- that image is so heavily blue-shifted that it might not be an accurate representation of what you're trying to ask.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

TINA TURNER posted:

Are wire transfers really such an unpopular way of paying in the US? The only time I've heard them mentioned was in PiTR.

They have a few drawbacks.
- They're expensive
- They're associated with scams, fairly or no. Things like the Nigerian Prince scam and such.
- Most people have never had to use them, and so they have an air of strangeness and unfamiliarity about them. If you've never needed to do something and now you do, the perceived burden of having to learn where to go and what to do makes it seem disagreeable.
- They also have an association of being something that Hispanic immigrants do, in order to send money to family in their native country. Something that a historically underprivileged class of people does makes it unappealing to white middle class John Doe.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

concerned mom posted:

If a particle has an anti particle thing that when you move one the anti one moves no matter the distance, could in say a thousand years in the future, we have instant communication over infinite distances?

You're referring to quantum entanglement and the short answer is no, information can not be sent that way, I believe due to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. In short, let's say you have a particle that's entangled with one I have. We're posted on opposite sides of the solar system keeping an eye out for the alien mothership. Particles have a property called spin, so we agree that you'll spin yours "clockwise" to indicate the galactic war has started. Mine, being entangled, will spin counterclockwise whenever you set yours clockwise.

However! Until the particles are measured, their spin is in an indeterminate state. As soon as they're measured (or set in spin), the spin is set and it will affect their entangled partner. So we don't know the initial state of the spin (because it doesn't have one until it's measured, which sounds insane but it's true). So I'm waiting and I decide to check my particle. Aha! Mine is spinning counterclockwise! But, was it because I collapsed it from its indeterminate state in my observation, or because you actually sent the message? The only way to know is to communicate classically -- call me up on the telephone -- and tell me the particle has a message waiting, so that I know when to measure it. But then we're back to old-fashioned light speed so there's no gain at all -- you could have just told me on the phone that the war had started.

It's actually more complicated than that, I think, but I only have a layman's understanding of the issues involved.

efb

e2: and I'm a bit wrong on the details anyway

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 5, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Robin Sparkles posted:

Where I'm from, punting is kicking a girl in between her legs.

Clearly a very progressive, cultured region

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Squish posted:

Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with GBS at the moment?

The short, sure to annoy all parties version:
GBS over the years had become a hyper politically correct zone where jokes could often be considered bad form. It was the domain of serious-as-gently caress social justice warriors. It was pretty much intolerable unless one was a member of said social justice warrior coalition.
Admins remembered that this was a comedy website and so said stop reporting every single thing that gives you your bad feels or w/e. (Rule #4 in the new gbs rules, and really the most important one w/r/t the changes)

In a week or two the s/n ratio will improve and it'll be a legit interesting place to post again and only the de jure joke of the forums, instead of the de facto one.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Mariposa posted:

Why did FYAD invade GBS, and does anyone know when it will stop?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3343753&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=783#post421491087

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

razz posted:

See, I guess I just never saw it like that. I liked the Critterquest thread and the Youtube videos thread (which somehow seem to have survived), and the photoshop threads, and breaking news stories with intelligent discussions and stuff like that. I never got the feeling that it was a bunch of high-and-mighty sperglords bitching about stuff. But like I said I haven't checked out GBS regularly in 2-3 years.
Just to clarify -- you didn't hang out in GBS but all the same you hate the change and want it changed back immediately, so you can continue not to hang out in it. Is that an accurate summary of your views?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Tiggum posted:

The emails thing sounds annoying, but the G+ linking seems completely harmless since no one uses G+ anyway. As for the other two, I must be missing something because I thought that's how it was before as well.

I know for me, when I click on the link "in response to JoeBlow123" to see JoeBlow123's comment, it now refreshes the entire page. Makes following a conversation intolerable and I've quit even looking at comments now.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Speaking of mould, how do I stop my windows from basically getting all wet from condensation overnight? It's cold outside now and soon to be freezing, and obviously my room is around room temperature. I have a layer of average curtains over the window and then a layer of blackout curtains over that. When I wake up in the morning there's just a layer of condensation all over the window. I don't want this regular water build-up to lead to mould. Does it?

It's not as likely to form on glass, but if you're worried about it you'll want to get a dehumidifier. An alternate option, depending on how many windows you have, is to get some of the Saran Wrap-looking insulation. Something like http://www.amazon.com/3M-Indoor-Window-Insulator-5-Window/dp/B00002NCJI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384273545&sr=8-1. You'll need a hair dryer to install it correctly.

e: Looks like :science: has made it so you don't need a hair dryer anymore

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Dudebro posted:

Hmm, I'm in a situation where I'm using a humidifier. It's not forming on windows that I'm worried about, but the ledges of the windows. I don't think the water gathers too much on the ledges, but I've had this situation before in a previous bedroom, but I think the humidifier was much stronger and closer to the windows.

I use a humidifier as well and don't get condensation. I think you may be over-humidifying. Or maybe your windows are single hung and not glazed and so don't insulate well, leading to higher temp differential at that point.
The plastic insulation stuff is probably the way to go if you don't want to back off of your humidity levels ... but honestly, I think if condensation is forming that it's probably too humid in there and you may run into problems with electronics at some point. Maybe only run the humidifier for 12 hours / day?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

whydirt posted:

I started grad school this fall and am required to submit my immunization records (and get a few current shots). However, it's been 15 years since I graduated HS and started my undergrad degree and I currently have no personal copies of any of my records. I checked with my parents and they don't have any paper records from when I was a kid.

What's the easiest way for me to get my records? Which of my undergrad college, my HS, my old family physician should be the easiest to deal with?

High school. They deal with that stuff all the time. Physician should be easy too, assuming you got all your immunizations from him or her (or had your previous immunization record transferred over at some point).

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Some adware was installed onto my firefox. I removed batbrowser from firefox and ran anti-malware software to stomp it.

Now, whenever I click on a link from a google search; it auto opens the link in a new tab.

What's the deal?
How do I fix this? (make it so clicking on the google link takes me directly to the site).

Tab Mix Plus can do that, but it's strange that the default behavior is acting like that so TMP would be kind of a kludge to fix something that shouldn't be broken. But in any event, it's a great addon and one of the very first extensions I install for Firefox.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a generally accepted font to use for emails? My email client at work defaults to Sans Serif, and I want to change it because it looks awkward when I'm making lists of stuff and the font isn't monospace, but then I don't know how professional it would be to use Courier New.

Don't use monospaced fonts; there's no reason to for computer-based communications and it sends a very clear message -- that message being, "I'm using a monospaced font!" For lack of a better term, I'd slot it somewhere between hipsterish and pretentious. Plus they are ugly and more difficult to read.

For work emails, there's no reason to use anything other than the eminently professional and attractive Helvetica (or Arial, for Microsoft). You want to look like a responsible adult, I presume, and using Papyrus or Comic Sans or Giddy-Up conveys the opposite.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

(bolding mine)

Hasn't Calibri replaced Arial (and Times New Roman) as the MS default font nowadays?

Ah, could be. I'm used to ye olde work computers that are still running XP.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Taeke posted:

I think it'd be retrained in a matter of minutes if the difference isn't too much. I'm sure you've thrown a ball that was lighter (or heavier) than it appeared to be at first sight. Give it a few tries to get the feel of it and you're golden.

It would be more complicated in a lower gravity though. If the ball is lighter, that just affects how much force you need to apply to get the same height and arc. But the overall rate of ascent and descent -- the parabola it traces when initial force is adjusted for the changed weight -- doesn't change, since weight does not affect how gravity affects the ball (think of Galileo's experiement of dropping two differently weighted balls and they both hit the ground at the same time).
With a change in gravity, it would be impossible to describe the same parabola, no matter the adjustment for weight and gravity you made initially. The ball's acceleration would be altered in a way you can't replicate with a lighter ball in standard gravity.

That said, 5% isn't a huge difference and I think the necessary adjustments would still be made fairly quickly.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

photomikey posted:

I have a "shed" attached to the back of my house. There is no access to it from the house, only from an outside door. It was previously used as a woodshop - the walls are plywood. It's about 10x10.

I wish to use this room as an office.

The plan when I bought the house was to remove the plywood and put up drywall plus do a little remodeling (add some outlets, CAT5, etc). Since then, I think we've decided to do a little more remodeling, which includes demolishing this shed/woodshop/office thing altogether. That will probably happen in a couple of years, and until then I want to use this space as my office. I occasionally have clients/vendors to the office, and I'd like it not to look completely ghetto.

Right now the walls are bare plywood.

Any suggestions on what to do to make it look nice with a couple hundred bucks and maybe two half-days of labor?

I figure my options are:

Stain/varnish
paint
skimcoat, sand, paint (this will exceed my two half-days)
remove plywood, install drywall (this will exceed cost and time)

and then there's always the possibility that once I put down flooring (it's concrete right now) and put a desk in there, regular old plywood won't be so bad after all.

Drywall will be the most work but will look the best of course. In fact, your list is basically an inverse order of what would look best / take the least work. Taping and mudding is a pain, so if it were me I'd probably sand and paint which won't be too terribly bad if you have an electric handheld sander. Just be sure to use flat paint -- even eggshell will make every imperfection show up so much more, let alone satin or semigloss.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

What he said. As long as you're not trying to overclock it, it'll work automatically with any modern motherboard / ram. Though if you have multiple sticks of ram rated for different speeds, all of them will run at the speed of the slowest stick.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

hooah posted:

Moving away from sunglasses, is there something that will let me plug in a start and destination, then find a point some amount of time from the beginning? For example, if I wanted to drive from Chicago to LA and stop overnight after 8 hours of driving, I'd want to know about where I could expect to stop.

Omaha -- the western edge of Omaha is 7:50 away from Chicago.

If you need any food suggestions for when your stopover, let me know. Godfather's is a local / regional chain that has amazing pizza -- thin crust / black olive / onion is my recommendation. Runza if you want fast food -- you don't have them in Chicago and they're pretty good! Get an original Runza combo, not the cheese runza. And get it with Frings.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 15, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

KasioDiscoRock posted:

My landlord put one of those 2000 Flushes things in my toilet the other day and at first it was super blue, but after only about a day or so it's pretty much just clear again. I don't really care except that I want to make sure people who come over remember to close the lid so that our cats don't end up drinking out of the toilet, especially now that there's bleach in it. Anyone know why it isn't turning blue anymore?

It doesn't turn the water blue instantly if it's the big ol' pellet type. So if you flushed and 10 minutes later flushed again, it won't be blue. Wait a couple hours and flush, it'll be blue again.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Miranda posted:

I keep getting weird pop up type things when I'm browsing SA using chrome on my mobile. It's mostly lovely annoying games and there's an ad for "game of war" that keeps loving sending me to the App Store. What the gently caress is going on?!

Some lovely game you installed is full of adware

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

One occasional reccurring Loony Tunes segment was about a fox and a guard dog who would punch their time clock at the beginning of the day and then try to steal / defend a chicken coop, then at the end of the day they would punch out and go back to being friends. Does this segment have a name? I can't find any on youtube with any combination of loony tunes / warner bros / fox / guard dog / chicken. Just Foghorn Leghorn stuff which this emphatically wasn't.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Sieg posted:

I don't know what is on YouTube, but that is Ralph E. Wolf and Sam Sheepdog.

Cage posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Wolf_and_Sam_Sheepdog

Looks like all of their cartoons had them clocking in and out.

Thanks both!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

After a lot of loving around in my computer's CMOS today, a question occurred to me. Should the clock in there be set to UTC or GMT or whatever, or local time?

Local time (though in the end it doesn't really matter, it can be set to Mars time for all the difference it makes). I think some / all / most? bios'es will update from the time you set in Windows anyway.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

Why are there bad neighborhoods full of criminals and good neighborhoods with law-abiding people? What makes criminals concentrate themselves in certain parts of town?

A very simple explanation: Since even if everyone was law abiding some people make more and some people make less money, there will always be some housing that is more expensive and some that is less expensive. Criminals (at least, those who aren't bankers / white collar criminals) tend to be poor and so will live in cheaper housing (along with law abiding lower income folk as well, naturally). Even if there are several poor areas that are evenly distributed, simply due to statistical chance there will be surges of crime and criminals in one (or more) of those areas. That scares away law abiding folk who live there -- no one wants to live next to a crackhouse or flophouse or w/e, unless you're actively participating in that industry. With less demand from law abiding folks for other homes or apartments in that specific area, supply / demand dictates that the price will fall, making it more attractive to lower class criminals, and it becomes a vicious circle.

It's more complex than that, of course. I read a fascinating NPR story a few years back .. or maybe heard it on This American Life or something. Anyway, New York has / had a huge problem with crime in the 80s / early 90s, far moreso than now. Muggings, assaults, rapes, vandalism, what have you. The prior approach had been traditional -- investigate crimes, try to arrest people, etc. It didn't have much effect on the crime rates. Rudolph Giuliani took an approach that seems very bizarre at first glance, advised by social scientists iirc. Basically, it was to repair all vandalism asap. Graffiti's subway cars would be repainted that day, no matter how often they were tagged. Broken telephone booths or whatnot would be fixed quickly. Basically, make the city look nicer. The result was that crime rates went down in areas where these policies were practiced. The theory went that just having busted park benches, overflowing trash cans, subway cars covered with graffiti, these were things that resulted in a lot of people just not caring and, odd as it may seem, would result in people being more likely to engage in those types of behaviors. I guess it's one thing to tag a building that's already covered with graffiti, but if it's clean and freshly painted maybe people on the margins of that activity might have second thoughts.

Wish I could find the article because it was really interesting. But I think that's part of the issue -- there are parts of any city that the city basically says "eh, not worth the trouble" and that leads to the increase in crime.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

The canon of the Bible differs from denomination to denomination within Christianity, actually. Catholic and Orthodox Bibles have more books in the Old Testament, based on early Greek Bibles; Protestant Bibles don't include those books, because they're not found in the Hebrew Torah. This is primarily a Martin Luther thing.

But at the end of Revelation it says that anyone who adds to the Bible w/o God's blessing will have all of the plagues of the Bible visited upon them. Since I don't recall hearing about anyone attacked by locusts and plague and famine all at once, wouldn't logic indicate that the longest version is thereby approved by God and is the most correct version?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

moana posted:

Thank you everybody for the advice!

Yeah, just got a GoPro and the videos are loving huge. Never thought I'd run out of space that quick, but we've already filled up another 4TB. I'm also looking into cloud storage for some of my stuff as a secondary backup.

You'll never watch 90% of that stuff ever again. And there's no reason not to encode it to a more reasonable size so you're not filling up 4 TBs worth of space on the regular. Get Handbrake, use constant quality = 13 (which is way more quality than you'll need, you could easily get away with quality 14 or 15 and probably never notice the difference) and you'll cut the size by 50%+ and never notice any quality difference. I'm guessing you're using the highest quality on the gopro (35 or 45 Mb/s depending on model) -- it's a tremendous waste of space.

If you're recording at 45 Mb / s that's already almost 400 hours of video you've shot. If you spend a full 40 hour work week every week watching just what you've shot so far it'll take 2.5 months to get through it. I think you'd be better served by prioritizing what you're recording and saving. I'm sure your newborn is cute and all but priorities, man.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cingulate posted:

I'm German, Google likes to show me German webpages, which means that my usual workflow when visiting, for example, Wikipedia, is
- google something
- click on Wikipedia link
- click on link to English version

This is annoying. I almost always prefer the original version if it is in English, and Google defaults me to the German one - unless I'm in Portugal right now, in which case it localises me to Portuguese results, which is bad because I don't speak Portuguese. Is it somehow possible to avoid just this part of Google's result optimisation process, directing me to location-neutral results? All I can find is tips on how to set it to a specific location, there must be some better way than claiming I'm living in the Uk.

Set up a custom search. In Firefox, here is what you'd do:

1) Go to http://en.wikipedia.org
2) Right click in search box, click "Create custom search"
3) In the box that appears, the important field is the third one. Type wiki or ew (english wiki) or any other abbreviation you can easily type + remember
4) Save, and from now on you can type, for example, wiki angela merkel in the address bar and it'll pull up their wiki page (assuming you got the name right) or return the english wikipedia search page with relevant results.

I'm sure you can set up custom searches in other browsers too, but FF is the only one I can specifically speak to.

Obviously, this won't help for vague searches where Google would be better ("wiki largest ball of yarn" gives you much better results from google than from the wiki search engine) so it's not perfect but for any topics you know how they'll be listed (like the Angela Merkel example, or Apocalypse Now, or Intestinal Flora) it'll be great.

e: Rereading, it looks like you're not asking for wikipedia specifically. If you don't want to set your location to the UK, one thing you might try is, in Chrome, setting your default language to English.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5846482_change-chrome-default-language-english.html
Since Chrome was offer to translate all non-native-language pages automatically, hopefully this will get you pidgin english. Firefox can do this with an add-on, I use Quick Translator -- can do selected text or entire pages.
Obviously it's not as good as getting native English results, but between this and my first fix (which you can use on other pages too obviously, though I don't know if it will work for Google -- they might redirect you anyway) it might be a workable solution.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

b0nes posted:

Would a house shaped like a cone, made out of a really durable material like cement resist a tornado better?

To your specific point idk, but my innate pedanticism forces me to point out that one wouldn't use cement as a primary construction material; rather, one would use concrete. Cement is more like mortar, a binder to hold materials together. Easiest way to remember this imo is that it's a glue like the rubber cement you used in grade school.

At a guess -- it might be better but it would lose a lot of space (the cone area is pretty much all wasted space, and every floor will be smaller than if the walls were vertical rather than slanted in at a 30 degree angle or whatnot). While tornadoes are scary, they likely affect less than .1% of homes and only even threaten any individual home even in high-tornado-risk areas probably once every several years, whereas losing out on useable living space (and being ugly as sin to boot; check out Bucharest for an example of "concrete -- and how!" as a building philosophy) would affect the homeowner every day.