Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

When I'm cooking, why do I have to saute the onions first? No matter what I'm adding after the onions and no matter how long they cook thereafter the onions simply must saute by themselves first.

Why?

Caramelization which only really occurs well when you brown them alone with a fat like butter or olive oil (or without but then they stick to the pan)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kedo posted:

Agreed, in 95% of recipes you're not trying to fully caramelize the onions by cooking them first.

You're either sautéing the onions if the recipe asks for browning, or sweating the onions if it asks you to get them translucent with no browning. The browning produced by sautéing is the maillard reaction, which adds distinct flavor and color to the final dish. Sweating releases much of the water stored in the onion's cells and cooks the onion in its own juices which mellows the onion flavor and makes them delicious, but doesn't produce a maillard reaction, so the flavor is still basically just "onion."

So sautéing changes the onion flavor while sweating simply brings out the existing flavor.

Normally you sauté or sweat your aromatics first when cooking (eg. onions, carrots, celery, garlic, peppers), so as to provide a flavorful base for your dish. You can't sauté or sweat once you add cooking liquid or a whole bunch of meat or much of anything else besides fat and aromatics to the pot, which is another reason why it's performed first.

I didn't know all of that!

I do want to say one thing though - you will fry out the flavor of your garlic and leave it bitter if you go over 30-60s of direct heat to garlic so it should be the last aromatic you add. Just before the meat/liquid.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

How hard is suet? Is it like a rock, or is it more like you can squeeze it with your fingers and it's slightly pliable?

its crumbly-squishy, unless you compress it a bit, then it can get harder - kinda like steak fat pulled out of the fridge but at room temperature. It does vary based on which animal the suet is from though, some will be firmer, some more pliant, some more crumbly, etc.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

My internet plan is roughly $70/mo for 30Mbps.

My mobile provider claims their 4G can reach up to 100Mbps based on location. I'm in The Big City so Location is probably on my side here.

Is there any reason not to just drop my internet plan, upgrade my mobile plan, and tether my laptop to my phone for the rest of my life?

So what everyone else said but also, being in The Big City means good infrastructure, but it also means that there's a lot more people using the cell network. When looking at internet speeds that Up To does a lot of heavy lifting. It could be fine at certain times during the day, but then a bunch of teens using the same cell tower all decide to watch videos at the same time on their phones and your 100Mbps is now 1Mbps.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whenever I give my dog a bath, the bathroom ends up with fur and lint (from the towels) on every surface. Is there some easy way to clean this stuff off? It likes to stick to hard surfaces. All the curves make it hard to vacuum. I can kind of wipe it up with rags, but an individual rag gets "saturated" pretty quickly and just starts pushing stuff around instead of picking it up.

I would sweep it once its dried, but if you have stubborn surfaces or weird areas, duct tape will pull it right off. You can also exploit the static in dryer sheets instead of using regular rags.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

On my phone I access Facebook through a browser. My feed seems to have posts from a small handful of people. I went into the browser options and toggled the "Desktop Site" mode and it's like a completely different feed -- I'm seeing people I haven't seen for years. What's the deal?

You consume content differently, so the feed results are altered. It tracks the types of thing you do and clusters people that maybe you've looked at on your phone or were near during an outing or potentially even called/texted. Since it knows which device you're using, it tailors your experience.

Yes it's weird. No it doesn't actually make sense.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

I have an unopened can of Green Giant chickpeas. The expiry date shows August 2022. Is it still good to open up and eat? What are the biggest risks, because if there's even a 1% chance of food poisoning, I'd rather just buy a new can.

The other people gave good advice but also if the can is 'bloated' or deformed largely from internal pressure then don't eat it. Bloating means gas which means alive things.

If it looks fine you're good to go.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Today I had a Root Beer I hadn’t had before that I liked, and noted it was a nice “creamy” one

What’s causing that creamy flavor?

I think its often just extra vanilla.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
teach the birds to turn the music on/off by sitting on the spacebar, let them choose when they want to jam

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

How do violin/viola players know if a particular note is played by the bow going up or down on the strings? Orchestras always seem to be in perfect sync in this regard. Is it somehow obvious which note goes which way, or do the players have to agree on a scheme and rehearse/memorize it in advance?

You just start with a down stroke and each note after is played by changing the direction - you all use the same method to play it, so it all ends up lining up if the rhythm is the same.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's like a generally standardized motion based on how much bow is left/how long the note is.

I will admit that this is HS/some post playing and professionals may have other methods. I guess it just always lined up without additional planning.

Edit: also everyone is following the conductor too.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 29, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What chain store is best for printing/scanning? I've got a form to print, fill out, scan, and email. I've gone to a UPS to do this, spend ten minutes waiting for their bedraggled Windows XP lobby computer to log in to my gmail account, and then I wait in line to pay for both the single page I've printed and the time I spent trying to print it on their lovely computer. And then I have to fill it out and scan. Is there any store that's kind of set up for this?

The library as others have pointed out, or find out which chain store lets you send in and have the docs pre-printed when you arrive for pick-up.

edit: Just realized you need to scan too, in that case just library yeah.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There were whole rear end sub forums dedicated to spreading pirating links and little circles of goon torrent sites and ftp servers that were freely talked about.

Then there was a bit of a crackdown and then even referencing :files: was bannable and now it's sort of a 'please don't make Jeffrey have to deal with lawyers' agreement.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

What is the easiest way for me to make a shaped foam insert? This is for a delicate old piece of equipment about the size of a candy bar. I want to safely store it in a small box not much bigger than the thing, with a shaped foam insert taking up the rest of the volume of the container.

I assumed there was such a thing as micro pick and pluck foam but that particular item does not exist apparently

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/index.php/how-to-make-diy-tool-inserts-from-foam-to-organize-your-collection

Something like this?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Qubee posted:

Can I mix shampoo with water to put in my car windscreen washer reservoir? I've honestly tried finding proper windscreen wash everywhere but nowhere has it, for some reason??? Even the car wash places don't have it. In the UK you can just pick up massive jugs of windscreen washer fluid and pour it straight in.

I went to one place and they tried putting fairy liquid solution in and I told them to get lost cause that will just strip my paint over time.

if you're in the US almost every gas station will sell windshield wiper fluid. It's a giant jug of blue stuff, or you can order it online as RCarr said in a strangely aggressive way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I'd use a multi-layered approach -- foam on top of a roll of plastic or something similar, which rests on the floor. That way, anything that does get past the foam will be blocked by the second layer.

This is a good idea but could lead to a sweat buildup beneath it and foam will eventually rot, depending on how much sweat and whatever. Instead, put the foam against the floor (or plastic, then foam) and then put something like a rug you can exercise on or a rubber mat on top of the foam so it's all one piece you can easily clean/roll up but you get the padding effect of the foam.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leave posted:

What's the best way to crack my back?

Yoga.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hooah posted:

Is there any inexpensive way to get rid of a cracked fish tank? Our trash company won't do a bulky pick-up because their claw thing would probably just shatter the class. A local dump is charging like $45, and another place requires a hard hat and reflective vest, neither of which I have.

just dump it in an apartment/store's dumpster at like 10pm?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ironhead posted:

I don't know what you mean by "the real deal" but you can pick up ANSI compliant hard hat and vest for under $20 delivered on Amazon. I've bought a bunch to bring as spares for guys taking their Fork/MEWPS/AEWPS classes and just let them keep them.

Why do I need to connect my hardhat to telnet?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Are there any apps (for Android, or i guess Mac OS) that allow you to run custom changing patterns for Philips Hue lights?

I've tried one or two of the ones that purportedly will change things up to the sound of music but didn't like them; they either didn't seem to work or weren't customizable enough.

I'd like an app that allows me to set the lights to fade between colours (but not necessarily full-spectrum, just the colours I select) at custom intervals, or to the beat of the music (but actually working).

I'm pretty sure you can do that with the basic hue app?

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-us/explore-hue/propositions/entertainment/sync-with-music

It mentions specific palettes and I can't imagine you can't make a custom one?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Beerchat in the Schad Thread had me curious:.

Is there truth to the rumour that Czechvar is 'the original recipe for Budweiser'? Dunno where I heard that one.

you're misremembering or heard it from someone who misremembered that there's a trademark dispute for the name Budweiser between two companies, one in the US and one in the Czech republic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budweiser_trademark_dispute

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

This is the idea behind double-paned windows as well. Expensive but would probably pay off in the long run if you live in Minnesota or the Canadian wasteland North of there.

they also help in hot places, like Texas and Florida.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Perhaps not, depending on how prescriptive you are about what "written language" is. I'm using a very broad definition here: it is recorded and it communicates. For example, someone from the same culture might look at a painting and get the message "we were out hunting and got surprised by a bear, and now this guy only has one arm."

Keep in mind that, by my understanding, early written language had extremely vague syntax and grammar. There was a lot of interpreting going on. So if you're basing your definition of "written language" on some bar of clarity or precision, you may be artificially excluding things that are the precursors of the stuff you accept as "written language". I can well believe (lacking evidence to the contrary) that there's a smooth causal lineage from early paintings through to pictographs, cuneiform, and other more widespread writings.

your username checks out at least.

One of the points in differentiating between iconographic communication and written language is that it's even more of an abstraction from the content to the message. These weird little lines you're looking at don't look anything like the point I'm making visually, but they communicate meaning nonetheless. Art communicates something, absolutely, and there is almost certainly a through-line from art to writing in the same way that there's a through-line from animal vocalizations to language. It's not prescriptive to point out that there's a difference in how the words are commonly used. It's also fine to make up your own definition, as you have here, and talk about it - it's an interesting point - but you're using words that have an agreed upon meaning to do so, so you should expect some push back.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

(and Captain Monkey said something similar)

By my understanding some of our earliest "writing" was just simplified icons of real-world things. Like, if you're a merchant and you traded 10 chickens for another merchant's goat, you might have a clay ball made with 10 chicken stamps and your personal mark on one side, and 1 goat stamp and the other guy's mark on the other side, to record the trade. This isn't a generative language which can produce a wide range of meanings, but it can communicate an awful lot of useful stuff in terms of trading.

My experience with software indicates that you can get an awful lot accomplished with a very limited symbol set; you may not be able to do everything*, but you can still find significant value. Hell, I made a small domain-specific language for my videogame, and I intentionally made it not be a "complete" language. Every time I needed to express a new concept, it was easier to add a new symbol to the language (which I then taught the core program to interpret) than it was to make the language complicated enough to express that concept internally. It wouldn't surprise me if the development of early written languages proceeded similarly...but of course I don't know.

If there's anyone reading this with an actual background in archaeo-linguistics, a) I'm sorry for all this baseless speculation, and b) I'd love to hear what you have to say!

* does Goedel's Incompleteness Theorem apply to the concepts a language can express?

(chicken ten times) = (goat) is still a lot more 'language' than a picture of a specific thing that happened. Even the language you're making is using new symbols to mean new things, and combining them in new ways in the way that a single piece of art simply isn't. You can't recreate that tableau in a new setting and have it mean something else in the same way that even icons can be recreated and moved into new meaning. Context, grammar, and meaning are all needed for language.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What's the difference between thread-lock and glue? Is it just a special kind of glue?

thread-lock means you can't post in the thread anymore, glue is a sticky substance made from horses

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah outlook/teams handles all of that if you set your timezone properly. I've been working for a west coast company while living in Texas for years and I've only gotten mixed up once when someone verbally gave me a meeting time because Teams was down (we both translated for the other's time zone without telling each other and laughed about it later).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

actionjackson posted:

what is now messing me up is that in the quick view calendar where it shows up on the right of my mail, the times display in CST like I want, and if I do add event from there it's also in CST. But if I create a new event from the full calendar view it allows me to select the time zone, which is defaulting to PST.

I haven't really used it, I always just use the meeting invite which auto-fixed timezones for me.

Maybe check File -> Options -> Calendar, and you can poke around and find the default timezone? If that's already set then I'm out of my depth.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
OKCupid was the only one that got me reasonable dates as well - I've heard good things about Hinge but missed it during my dating days. On OKC, paying was worth it but I ended up going out with a lot of people in a short amount of time and if your hit rate is lower it may not be worth it. Honestly, it was just a way to get numbers/(at the time) gchat handles so you could talk more easily. But people tried on OKC more than they did on, say, Tinder.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I assume it's just a recognizable tune, and the Christmas tune is indicative of being cold during a time when it's hot outside.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i dont know i think its sort of a spectrum. im like, mostly cis, but i do sometimes feel the desire to be a different gender, and ive always felt some connection to gender fluidity and have never felt fully connected to maleness or masculinity. but, at the same time, its not a particularly strong desire, its not to the extent that i would want to change my pronouns or name or anything, and more to the point i dont feel that i have dysphoria the way the trans people i know describe it

yeah I've felt the same (and not to aggressively disagree with the woman above me at all) and I've just decided I'm nb and just don't care very much about gender, personally.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
What sort of price range and how close a relation/friendship?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I really like coconut milk, but it definitely has a coconut taste. This is usually fine unless I'm baking, but we just have heavy cream - which lasts for loving ever comparatively - and dilute if we need regular milk.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ortho posted:

I’m looking for perhaps something unusual. I want tent that is light-tight—that is, the interior is completely dark no matter how sunny it is—that can comfortably seat ten to fifteen people.

I was to run a small silent film festival at the fair. (There is precedent for it. Before the first purpose-built cinema was erected in town in 1912, films were shown in tents on the fairgrounds.)

Maybe this coming 181st fair, maybe next year's 182nd fair, but it’s something I’ve always wished to do. Now that I have some festivals under my belt, I feel like I know how to carry it out, saving the tent issue..

You want a canvas tent, modern tents are made lightweight and tend to be thin nylon or similar materials, and they let light through pretty well, this also makes them breathe better so they aren't swelteringly hot. Get yourself an old canvas tent like an army tent - some of them can be quite large but they may be annoying to set up.

https://www.canvascamp.com/en_us/canvas-tents

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You are being criminally underpaid. I made mid 40's as a tier one tech support like a decade ago. I had no degree and sucked poo poo at it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Know any cities in the south that have a pretty good scene, IT wise?

In addition to the other options, Houston/Austin/Dallas all have big IT sectors.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Also, Pennywise is not the only Deadlights style creature out there and it could have been more a suggestion that he's seeing the deeper layers of the world more and more as he's transformed by the process he goes through in the course of the book.

There's a lot of spooky extra stuff in the Kingverse, mostly occurring on the same reality level as his psychic powers or close enough to be detected by them. It could be Pennywise, it could be a different entity as yet unnamed - he likes to leave some ambiguity to stuff like that to add to the sense of there being a larger strange world all around his protags.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Whybird posted:

Is there a term like spyware or nagware or malware for the practice in software design of using psychological trickery to make you feel "committed" to an app? Most toxically in pay-to-win mobile games, but also the way that Duolingo and even loving NordVPN give you points for getting "streaks" of using it daily.

There are several terms for the ways they do it - https://netcorecloud.com/blog/psychological-hacks-to-make-users-fall-in-love-with-your-app/ - is a shithead's write-up that offers an in brief how-to in order to sink your hooks in. It's basically just exploiting the way people set goals and react to rewards. I'm not aware of a specific term for the predatory method, but there are a variety of psychology terms that are neutral in that they can be used with positive or negative intent on people. I'm an instructional designer, and we use some of those methods and pathways to reinforce learning and encourage engagement when building out training, for example.

edit: Gamification is a lot broader, but it has parts of it included.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/02/technology/uber-drivers-psychological-tricks.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-app-developers-keep-us-addicted-to-our-smartphones-2018-1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6679162/

Some reading.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 19, 2023

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah it's more that they were using the 40% off, used from Gamestop MadKatz brand rather than springing for the Sony branded PS4 controller.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
bunk desks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I have some skincare products that I buy in bulk and decant into travel size spray bottles - the cosmetic kind, not the plant mister kind. I buy the cheap ones in bulk, and the pump mechanisms fail after a few weeks. Is there a particular brand of little pump-spray-mist bottle that actually holds up to frequent use?

I don't actually know off hand, but my wife did a phd in chemistry and they had dozens of those things for various reasons - maybe check a laboratory supply company instead of one for more regular commercial use.

They also may have just considered regular replacement a cost of doing science, but it's worth checking out.