Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have this doll that belonged to my father's cousin's father, and the Antiques Roadshow Megathread linked in the OP is closed, so I'm not sure where to ask about it.

I'm not really looking to sell it or anything, just curious about what it is, where it might have come from, etc. and no one in the family seems to know anything about it, other than that it's been around for as long as anyone can remember.

It seems to be one solid thing (although maybe the head is just joined on, I don't know) and just sits like that by itself, it's not held up by anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

Also, what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks? Is it "On the inside?" or is it "On the outside"?

In America, always on the inside. Elsewhere it depends on whether the punctuation is part of the quotation.

America posted:

Lance Streetman asked "what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks?"

Lance asked a question that confused me. What are "quotation marks?"

Elsewhere posted:

Lance Streetman asked "what's the proper grammar on question marks and quotation marks?"

Lance asked a question that confused me. What are "quotation marks"?

But as long as you're consistent about how you use them it usually doesn't matter.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

fuckpot posted:

I see advertisements all the time for crappy health products like herbal flu remedies that claim they are proven in clinical tests to reduce the time you have the flu by 50%. That is just one specific example and I have seen many other similar claims made about equally dubious products. Are they exploiting some sort of technicality to claim that their product is clinically tested and works? I was thinking something along the lines of they got results from their product in a tightly controlled laboratory environment that has no bearing on what how the product would behave in real life.

I live in Australia and we have pretty tight advertising restrictions on health-related products here and they could never get away with outright lying.

The key is that they don't tell you any of the details about the clinical tests. If you saw how the research was done, you'd find that it started to look pretty dubious, and if you looked at other tests done independently you'd find that the results couldn't be verified or repeated, but unfortunately all they have to say is "We did a clinical trial and this was the result" and don't have to disclose any of the rest of the information.

So technically they're not lying outright, but they are giving a false impression by being very selective about what information they report.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've noticed that food in my refrigerator isn't staying fresh quite as long as it should. Two separate thermometers say the internal temperature is between 16 and 20 c. After clearing everything out and defrosting the temp is staying the same but some milk I bought lasted the night. I'm beginning to think the thermometers are just off. Would milk really keep for 12 hours at that temperature?

Milk should be kept at about 4°c. If your fridge won't go that low, it's broken. If you're deliberately keeping it at 16° or more, why?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Crankit posted:

Also as per above there are things like UHT milk which don't require refrigeration in order to avoid spoilage.

Doesn't UHT need to be refrigerated after opening?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CatchrNdRy posted:

I don't want to hurt feelings by simply untagging.

I don't think it's rude to untag yourself. If they want your name on there for people who look at the photo they can add a non-link version (you can just add any text you like as tags that don't link to profiles).

Accepting the tags basically just means you're happy to have that photo show up on your profile, so if you're not, untag it. It's not like you're asking them to delete the photo or anything.

when worlds collide posted:

I wouldn't even worry about hurting her feelings, personally. I don't feel it's polite to identify people that way on a very public website, in fact it's pretty obnoxious.

I assume that if people don't want to be tagged they'll set it to require approval for tags, so I just tag everyone in pictures.

CatchrNdRy posted:

Its worse, now people can check you into locations without your permission (Unless you lock down and manually approve your wall).

You should definitely set everything to manually approve. The minor hassle is worth it for the fact that it lets you stop people tagging you in things you don't want to be tagged in.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

How can I be more attentive, more "sharp" as to ask the right questions when I'm assigned a task? I ask this because I was at work experience, and we had so much information that me and my other buddy (there were only two of us). I know I learn from making mistakes, but I'd also like to develop skills which requires foresight.

How should I go about this?

The only way I know of is to just gain experience. You don't know what questions to ask until you're familiar with the type of thing you're being asked to do, because the obvious things are obvious and will (usually) have already been covered. It's only once you've done that sort of thing before that you can go "Hmm, last time we had an issue with <thing>, what are we doing about that this time?"

Also, just be willing to ask dumb questions, because although you usually just look dumb, no one really minds (unless you're obnoxious about it or asking so many questions it's annoying), and sometimes a dumb-sounding question turns out to be something no one thought of yet.

alnilam posted:

imgur gives me problems 80% of the time, where it either gets stuck on 0% or on 100% of the progress bar.
Sometimes doing it in internet explorer works though, even while trying it in firefox before and after doesn't :confused:
does anyone else have similar problems?

Imgur seems to have been pretty unreliable for a while now. I don't know why, but every now and then I have to leave it and come back later or try uploading stuff repeatedly because it just doesn't work.

redreader posted:

wall heater gas danger question:

I have a wall-mounted gas heater that is controlled by a thermostat. It is currently hot as all hell here in the summer so it's just got the pilot light on. the pilot light is bigger than it has any right to be though so it actually generates a fair amount of heat.

I blew it out because it was contributing some heat still that we don't need. The house is VERY, VERY well ventilated with about four fans running, two large fans moving air through the passageway in which this heater is. I wonder if the gas from the pilot light would be enough to cause health/fire/any problems, and I should just light it again?

Are you sure there's not an actual "completely off, no pilot" setting?

Lance Streetman posted:

On a different note, what's the preferred media player?

I've always found Winamp really good for music, and for video I've used BSPlayer for years and never found anything better.

Question: You know two-minute noodles? You have beef flavour, and that's supposed to taste like beef. It doesn't, but it's supposed to. Likewise with chicken. What's "Oriental" flavour supposed to taste like?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Is the English inflection of words with Greek roots related to the Greek language itself or is it arbitrary?

For example:

geode, geophysics, geology
vs
geography, geometry

How have you grouped those? I know pronunciation varies, but I can't figure out how you'd be saying those words to get them into those two categories.

tarepanda posted:

I've also noticed this inflection change in "Catholic" for some regional dialects -- some people say "Cath-a-lick" and some say "Ca-THOL-ic."

Cath-lik. :)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

What the hell is with the "Never Put Ketchup On A Steak" crowd? What is the reasoning behind the opinion?

It's just an example of the "my opinion is objectively correct" attitude. Personally I would never put tomato sauce on a steak, because that would pretty much ruin it for me, but you'll never find an objective reason not to do it, because the goal is just to eat something that you like the taste of, so if you like the taste of steak better with tomato sauce on it, why wouldn't you eat it that way?

nunchi posted:

So I'm trying to get a certain effect in a word processor: I want something a little more redacted looking than just strikeout. I'm trying to make it remain legible, but really look like someone scribbled over the writing or went over it with a pen. Does any goon know how to do this?

Write the text normally, take a screenshot, paste it into an image editor (Photoshop, Paint.NET, whatever), scribble over it however you like, crop any unnecessary bits, save the image and import it into the document.

There may be a better option that I'm not aware of, but that should work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Golbez posted:

Just installed a program where the installer, like all Windows installers ever, said "It is strongly recommended you close all programs before installing." Why? Has anything ever gone remotely wrong when installing a program?

I'm pretty sure most of them just put it in there because they've seen others do it and think it's mandatory.

It is relevant to things like Flash Player and stuff where it tells you to close your browser before installing, because it needs to update files the browser is using.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

uptown posted:

Where would I go in the forums to ask someone to photoshop someone out of a picture for me? I took a cute picture of my friend and her kids at the lake that I would like to give her, but someone's head is in the shot too. I don't think it would be too hard to remove the other lady, but I don't know how to use photoshop at all, so it would be impossible for me.

I'm willing to buy someone an avatar of their choice or a forums upgrade, so if anyone in here could do it, let me know! If not a thread where I could ask works too.

Depending on the background, you may be able to do it a lot easier than you think. Photoshop now has a feature called "content-aware fill" that I'm pretty sure works by some sort of dark sorcery. You just use the lasso to select the thing you want to remove and tell it to fill that area and it works out what to put there based on the surrounding areas.

This video shows how amazing it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

On the SA front page there are two sections, front page articles and current content. If I don't get around to checking the site for a while it's pretty easy to find any front page articles I've missed since they're all archived chronologically, but is there some way to see what's appeared in "current content" recently without checking the archives for every section in the site directory? There are some things that show up there sporadically (like WTF D&D or Fashion SWAT) that I like to read when I see them, but I don't always notice they've been posted until they scroll off.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I used to have a thing installed that made links to YouTube videos show up as the name of the video instead of the URL, and if you clicked them the video just appeared on top of the current page so you could play it, close it, and go back to what you were doing.

I'm using Opera, but I remember it being available for Firefox and Chrome as well. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where I could find it? My old HD died and I had to reinstall everything from scratch, and that's pretty much the only thing I haven't gotten back to working how it was before.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah, I've been using that and it works okay, but A: Doing it again on every single website gets tedious, and B: It doesn't work perfectly. For example, if I zoom in to about the size I'm used to reading, images get blurry (thread tags, emoticons etc, though this might be unavoidable), and there are niggling problems like different thickness on the lines separating threads. Which is, uh, pretty minor, yeah, so mostly A.

In your browser options you can usually set the minimum font size, which I find pretty helpful. In Firefox go Preferences -> Content -> Fonts and Colors -> Advanced... -> Minimum font size. You can also tell it what fonts and sizes you want to use by default when it's unspecified.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why are microwave ovens measured by volume? If I'm looking to get a new microwave, I want to know whether it will fit on my bench and how big of a thing I can fit inside it, and knowing that it's 3 litres doesn't tell me either of those things. So why not give the dimensions instead of the volume?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

What? Knowing that it's 3 liters inside tells you exactly how much you can fit inside it.

Well, it would tell me how much liquid I could fit inside it. Most things I put in a microwave though have a particular height and width.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Who all knows Batman's identity? I don't keep up with comics but I saw a cartoon episode with batman in it and Superman seemed to know so I was wondering.

Depends which version you're talking about. Like, obviously if it's one where Superman isn't even in it, he doesn't know who Batman is. I think Alfred and Robin are the only ones who always know in every version they appear in, but I'm not sure, and in some versions tons of people know. I saw a clip from a cartoon where Batman reveals his identity to a bunch of other super heroes after letting them know that he'd already figured out who each of them were.

Question: As I understand it, when you go into a dark place your pupil dilates to let in more light so you can see, then if you go back into the light it contracts to let in less light, and everything's too bright and you can't see until it does. So when a doctor dilates your pupil, how come you can just walk outside into the sunlight and it's not blindingly bright?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

Your eye adepts really quickly.

I'm talking about when they dilate your pupils and they stay that way for ages.

Lance Streetman posted:

I dunno what kinda eyes you have, I can't step outside without sunglasses after having my pupils dilated.

tarepanda posted:

Ditto. I had my pupils dilated/temporarily paralyzed for an exam for a glaucoma exam once and realized that it was a really, really lovely mistake to not have a driver since there was snow all over the place and it was mid-day. The moment I stepped out of the office, the light felt like it was pithing my eyeballs.

I get this thing where the pressure in my eye builds up sometimes and when that happens they dilate my pupils to have a look, and if I look in a mirror there's pretty much no blue visible, just a thin band between the white and black, but I can walk outside in the sun no problem. My vision's kind of blurry, but it doesn't seem like the light's too bright.

Like, if I wake up in the night and have to go pee, when I turn on the bathroom light I have to squint to see because it's too bright. I don't have that problem at all when doctors dilate my pupils, even in bright sunlight.

The doctor actually said it would probably seem really bright when I went outside, but I didn't notice any difference from normal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

How does a paedophile ring form? Like, if you're engaging in an activity that is not only illegal but also considered morally reprehensible by the vast majority of the population, how do you manage to find others who are also into that same thing without exposing yourself to someone who'll just report you to the police?

You see in the news occasionally that they'll find groups with hundreds of members. How did they manage to get that big without someone along the way reporting it to the authorities?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RaoulDuke12 posted:

What is it called when someone finds some inconsequential, minute aspect of a statement and argues in a riduclously pedantic manner?

Nitpicking?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sometimes I like to open up a whole bunch of bookmarks all at once in tabs so I can just look through them to see anything that's updated, but I've noticed that when I do that, my computer sometimes starts running really, really slowly. Why does that happen? It's not just to do with internet speed, everything goes slow including completely local stuff like opening menus, and the mouse pointer even starts moving jerkily. What part of my computer is being exerted to the limit there, and why does it seem to be such a bottleneck that everything else slows down too? Is it RAM? Can I make that happen less by installing more RAM?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I'm thinking I might need to start drinking it soon. What's the best way to get used to the taste of it?

Get instant coffee and use just enough water to dissolve it then fill the rest of the mug/glass with milk. Coffee flavoured milk. But why would you ever need to start drinking coffee? Drink it if you like it, don't if you don't.

Lance Streetman posted:

What's a good way to clean my laptop screen/a good cleaner or wipe to use?

I find telephone cleaning wipes work really well. I work in a call centre so I have ready access to them, so I'm not sure where you can get them or what they cost.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you want coffee milk, just buy coffee milk syrup.

I'm not familiar with this product, but Wikipedia tells me that it's water and sugar strained through coffee grounds, so I'm not sure what the advantage to that would be. For one thing, it has sugar in it, so that would actually make it worse from my perspective. And even if you do want extra sugar in your flavoured milk, you can just add sugar yourself. Plus, having instant coffee in the house is handy if you don't normally drink coffee yourself so that when people come around can offer them coffee.

Also, from the perspective of the person asking how to acclimatise themself to the taste of coffee, if you make coffee flavoured milk from instant coffee you can gradually alter the amount of milk you're putting in until it's just a normal coffee.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

greazeball posted:

How would you like it if I offered you a Coke or some tea and then came back with some powdered Coke or powdered tea? And then you had to drink it and thank me for my hospitality?

Um, fine? At home I buy a particular brand and variety (several actually) of tea and make it the way I like, but if someone offers me a cup of tea I'll drink it any way it comes. And if you really don't like instant coffee, you just say "no thanks" when offered.

I occasionally drink coffee myself but really only keep it in the house for other people, who are free to drink it or not as they choose.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hoops posted:

If you meet a German guy called Franz, you don't start calling him Frank in English-speaking countries.

You do if you're Australian! It seems really weird and archaic to me, but there are still tons of people who come to Australia and start going by an English name. Not even difficult to pronounce names, stuff like changing "Giuseppe" to "George". :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheGame posted:

Ah, thanks for the replies. Using different browsers works, hadn't thought of that. For some reason the 'add account' feature at the top doesn't do anything on either account-- it looks like it's working, but afterwards nothing sticks. Maybe the service isn't supported. Anyway, the multiple browser thing will work.

You can always just go into the school account and tell it to automatically forward all received mail to your personal account. You can also go into the options in GMail and under "Accounts and Import" there's a section "Send mail as" where you can add other address. Gmail will send a message to the address you specify with a link to verify that you have access to it, and from then on you'll be able to send mail from that address from your normal account.

Here's my question: When the label on a food product says "no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives", does that actually mean anything? If so, what counts as "artificial"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TheGame posted:

e: I just realized that you're not from the US and therefore 'natural' might mean something different on Australian products. I would guess it's still defined by your governing body, though.

As soon as I started reading your response I thought "poo poo, forgot to say 'in Australia' there." But yeah, I've had a look at the Food Standards Australia New Zealand website but couldn't find anything on the meaning of the term "artificial", so I was hoping someone might know at least a better place to get this sort of information. :-/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Also what's the benefit of a savings account versus a regular checking account? I never really learned this stuff growing up because my parents always lived paycheck to paycheck.

I'm not sure if this is an America/Australia thing or if it's just me not knowing much about banking, but I've always been confused about what a "checking account" is. I've always had a savings account that I put money in and is linked to my debit card so I can use ATMs and EFTPOS and buy stuff online. I have a second one that's exactly the same except that it doesn't have a card, so I can keep some money separated, and I transfer money between them either at the branch or online. I get charged for EFTPOS and "foreign ATM" withdrawals, but nothing else. Would that be what Americans call a "checking account" or is that something different? Is that "checking" as in the American spelling of "cheque" or something else? Do people have checking accounts because they use cheques?

Unrelated question: Is there any way to see what a deleted video on YouTube was? I was looking through my favourites today and noticed a deleted video listed, but all the information about it is gone, including the title and who uploaded it. Obviously it was something I liked, so I'm curious about what it might have been.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Is there anywhere I can go to get reading recommendations based on books/authors I've read and enjoyed? Something like Amazon's recommended for you functionality.

If you rate books you've read on Amazon, it will base its suggestions for you on those ratings. I find it's pretty good at picking out stuff I'll like. Or is there some reason why you can't use Amazon for this?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

qntm posted:

"The time taken for the Sun to move from [solar] 7:15am to [solar] 7:30am" is always the same, which is 1/96th of the time for the Sun to move from solar noon to solar noon, which is always 24 hours. The time taken for a clock on the wall to advance from 7:15am to 7:30am is also always the same.

But daylight hours vary from place to place and time of year. What does "solar 7:30am" mean? Like, in some places there are times of year when the sun's up for 24 hours straight.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avocados posted:

Anything I can do to help alleviate my pencil/pen deathgrip problem? It's gotten so bad now that writing anything over a paragraph in one shot results in pain because I catch myself squeezing the life out of my writing stick. I'm a lefty if any of this matters.

It sounds like you might have the same problem I do, and someone told me it's because I write by moving my wrist and fingers. You're supposed to basically relax your fingers and wrist (still hold onto the pen, but not too tightly) and write by moving your whole arm from the shoulder.

I hardly ever write anything with a pen, so I haven't had much opportunity to practice this, but it does seem to help.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I have been playing around with gimp and I want to combine a jpeg as a background with an unrelated gif image which has transparency. However when I combine them the gif frames (not including the first) have white instead of transparent backgrounds... How do I stop this?

It may sound like I'm being intentionally glib and unhelpful, but honestly I'd say the answer is to try using something other than GIMP. GIMP is pretty much the worst image editor for ease of use.

Zotwoz posted:

I need something that can save images as PNGs. What other solutions are out there?

GIMP, Paint.NET, Stylepix, Photoshop, mtPaint, Krita. Probably plenty of others as well, PNG is a pretty common format.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

Neat! Which dictionary had differin pronunciations for cot and caught? I only consulted merriam-Webster and dictionary.com, but couldn't find anything on that.

Dictionary.com does have different pronunciations for them though. :confused:

dictionary.com posted:

cot [kot] /kɒt/
caught [kawt] /kɔt/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

So the Honda Del Sol...

The Spanish name del Sol translates to of the sun, and refers to the car's opening roof.

...is pronounced Del Sall/Saul and not Del Sole?

Well, for that you'd want a Spanish dictionary rather than an English one, because it's a Spanish word. You can always just pronounce it however they do in the advertising though (which seems to be "sole" from what I could easily find on YouTube).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Back in the older days of Something Awful, there was this piece of software that I think was developed by a goon that was used for downloading images by the bulkload from websites.

I don't know if it's what you're thinking of, but there's DownThemAll, a Firefox extension, which does what you describe.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Taeke posted:

A conversation should end when both parties agree it's over, not when one of the parties decides it is.

I work in a call centre, and I've noticed that a lot of people seem to have absolutely no idea how to end a phone call. I'll say "Thanks for your time, <contact information, legal bullshit>, have a nice afternoon." and they say "Thanks." and then just hang on the line awkwardly. Also a lot of people seem to think that the correct response to "thank you" is "thank you". You thank them for anything and they just thank you back.

second-hand smegma posted:

Some people still say 'Hello?' when they pick up the phone, including myself since the screen is broken on my cell and I can't see who is calling. :cool:

Well, how else would you answer the phone?

Fire Safety Doug posted:

I can't speak for the US but (well-written) dialogue in TV and movies is supposed to be as lean and streamlined as possible. You drop all the normal pleasantries and babbling to advance the story.

This is because the way people speak in real life is really disjointed and awkward. Most of the time people don't know exactly what they want to say when they start speaking so they stop in the middle of sentences, repeat things, jump from one thought to another and generally make a mess of it. Our brains just filter that out so you don't notice, unless it's really extreme. But if you want to see it, try recording an ordinary conversation and then later listen back to it and try writing it down. Written down, it looks almost incomprehensible.

SIHappiness posted:

You still can. It just can't be "sexually oriented." So Kate Winslet being painted in the nude in Titanic is fine, but bare breasts in a sex scene aren't. You're also allowed one use of the word "gently caress" but not two.

I've often wondered about this. How is one "gently caress" OK but not two? What's the reasoning there?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This post in another thread reminded me of something I've been wondering about for a while now:

An observer posted:

If Romney gets elected and gets rid of the "preexisting condition" thing that Obamacare did, once I turn 26 and lose my parents' insurance, I am hosed because the medication I take for my (preexisting) autoimmune disorder costs like $3k a month. Murrrrrca gently caress yeeeeah!

How does this work in America? If you need $3000 worth of medication per month to live and you don't have insurance, what happens? Do you die? Do you declare bankruptcy every month because you keep racking up $3000 worth of debt that you can't pay? What happens?

And if you go to the emergency room, you have to pay for that, right? But they can't just kick you out or refuse to treat you? So what happens if you can't pay for that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What compels some delivery drivers to just lie and say they tried to deliver a package, rather than just delivering the loving package?

What do you mean "some"?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Meat Recital posted:

Youtube seems to be randomly testing a new look. The new look sucks and will not stop recommending me things. Is there any way I can opt out of this test or otherwise make the new look go away?

I had the same issue a while back and I couldn't find any way around it other than to create a new account (which was far too much hassle to bother with). I also had one where they gave me a +1 button on YouTube pages, which I actually found handy as a simple way of collecting videos I liked on my G+ page, but then suddenly took me out of the test group for that without warning or explanation.

So basically, they don't seem to care how annoying it is or whether you want to participate in these tests or not, they decide who's in and who's out and you just have to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mediochre posted:

How can I find a good daily world news program online?

SBS World News Australia is available on their website, although the program is broken into two parts for some reason, and I've no idea if it's accessible outside of Australia. It also is aimed at an Australian audience, so it reports more on Australian stuff than you might want.