Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ingredients chat: have we mentioned plum sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I used to wear contacts all the time but rarely bother now that I work from home. Now I find when I do put them in, my depth perception is strange for a bit until I get used to it again.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Watching avidly because my YouTube is like that now too (I use Chrome mainly) and I hate it. It's hard to scroll now without accidentally "activating" something I don't want to watch.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

If you block someone's phone number, what do they hear or experience when they try to call you? Do they know they're blocked?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

regulargonzalez posted:

What's that famous quote that goes "if this be A, then give me B. If this be B, then give me A"?

"If this is coffee, bring me tea; if this is tea, bring me coffee." The most common attribution is Abraham Lincoln.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Tad Naff posted:

Why is it that Purolator doesn't ring the doorbell? You'd think they wouldn't want to come all the way over with a package just to leave a door hanger in the sneakiest way possible so as not to alert the recipient.

Aren't they part of Canada Post? Canada Post HATES delivering packages.

Here is my "why I hate Canada Post" origin story: last winter I ordered some international and domestic stamps online to save a trip to the post office. Obviously these would just come in an envelope that would fit in the mailbox, right? Well, they did, but Canada Post still left a goddamn delivery notice marked "by request of sender" so I still had to go to the loving post office. In December. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I would check Etsy; you could probably even get one custom-made, and the prices of the ones I saw seemed quite reasonable.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I think where you live has a huge impact; I just looked up London > Rome flights, and they're much cheaper than, say, Ottawa to Edmonton within Canada, due to demand/competition/etc.

Another stupid question to balance the stupid statement I just made: when did flights start listing their emissions impact?

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 31, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I've unintentionally sat on my cat a couple of times (dark room and I didn't realize when we first got him that he liked to sleep under the covers on the bed). He was indignant but otherwise fine.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

YggiDee posted:

Are donkeys really fragile the way horses are? Will they die if they think of ants? Do I never hear about donkey accidents because they're sturdier than horses, or because they aren't 20,000$ and used in national racing competitions?

Donkeys are tougher in some ways. They don't have the lifesaving speed of a horse, so if faced with something spooky like a coyote, they will face it and try to stomp the crap out of it rather than fleeing. They evolved in a drier (and often more mountainous) climate compared to horses, which are creatures of grasslands, so they have tougher hooves and actually don't do well on a rich diet or lush pastures. They're also more stoic in showing signs of illness and injury. I don't know if a donkey is just as prone to injuries as a horse, but they probably aren't used as hard and fast as even a regular riding horse, is my guess.

Horses are strange; they can live in environments ranging from the desert to the subarctic, and have amazing endurance on a par with a human's, but they are also ridiculously delicate in some ways.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Baron Porkface posted:

Are there present Canadian servicemen with combat experience?

Yes, there were troops in Afghanistan. (I know someone is going to leap in with a million other instances but that's the biggest recent one)

Question: is there a way to prevent Microsoft Teams from tacking on a giant URL to the end of any message you copy/paste from a chat room?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Sometimes in Canada people will put decorations up in November if there's no snow yet, just so they don't have to deal with ladders and such once there's snow on the ground. I rarely see them lit up before December 1 though. Retail is its own thing though; I was in a dollar store in September and saw some Christmas bits and bobs in there already.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

abelwingnut posted:

who are some famous movie or tv characters that are just flat out, impossibly rude? like, foul-mouthed, ill-mannered, treats everyone with complete disrespect, especially anyone trying to serve them. yells and goes nuts anytime anyone tries to stop them.

they just feel totally above everything else.

Gene Hunt from Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes (do NOT watch the US version of Life on Mars)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R97Df2sB994

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 2, 2023

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

regulargonzalez posted:

A riddle / math problem, I can't decide which of two potential answers is correct.

You have a coworker and you know they have two children but don't know their gender. One day you see a photo of one of his children, a girl. What are the odds that the other child is a boy?

1. 50%. Each child's gender is an independent 50/50 event.

2. 67%. There are four possible scenarios: older child female / younger child female, older child female / younger child male, older child male / younger child female, older and younger both male. The last one is eliminated since we know there is at least one daughter. Of the remaining three options, two have a boy.

Was that supposed to be OLDER rather than other? This whole discussion has been baffling otherwise.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Leave posted:

A discussion my six year old and I just had; is there any real difference between pancakes, hot cakes, and flapjacks?

Fun fact: a "flapjack" in the UK is a sort of soft oat bar, e.g. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/british-flapjacks-357510

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My friend's kid is allergic to chicken eggs, but can consume chicken meat and duck eggs without an issue. What do the chicken eggs have that the meat and duck eggs don't?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

two fish posted:

I'm interested in making a New Jersey thread because I have a lot to say about the state, and it's a place shown in media a lot, for better and for worse, so I'd love to answer questions and show off cool and weird things here. Would that appeal to anyone, and should that go into here or PYF? I'm still relatively new here and figuring out the place!

There's a Hometown History: Long-Lost Locals & Locales thread in PYF that might interest you:

Brawnfire posted:

I am from Rochester, NY; a little city on the banks of the Genesee River and the south shore of Lake Ontario in upstate New York. I've always had an interest in the bizarre and colorful characters who inhabited some of the same streets and buildings I have, decades or more than a century before I was even born. My own family came to Rochester in 1868 from [modern] Germany and began working in the joinery and boxmaking trades, specializing in cigar boxes. Later on, they would enter other roles in city life, including a policeman in the 1910s. Eventually, I was born here, and I live here, and I'll more than likely die here like four generations of my family. In the meantime, let me share with you some of the interesting ancedotes, vignettes, facts and curiosities I've discovered about my hometown's history through newspaper archives, plat maps, and genealogical research.

Please also feel free to jump in with anything you've discovered about your own hometown or favorite city. Nothing is too small or too big: did your town have a notorious character stalking her streets? A tragic fire? A massive public works project, or an environmentalist bugbear?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My landlord still insists on cheques (rather than e-transfer etc.) and he's the only reason I still have any. Recently my home bank branch moved -- still the same transit number etc. but they physically moved to another building a couple of streets away. My cheques have the old address on them. Does it matter, or should I order new ones with the bank's new address on them?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

smackfu posted:

And saves the cost of a stamp! Those things are like sixty cents now.

Oh don't I wish; I'm in Canada. :(

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

This site has one new for $420 Canadian, and here's a used one on eBay for $150 US. I don't know if Poshmark or some other fashion-focused site would be better or worse for a seller, but McQueen is pretty expensive anywhere.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

This might work: Lost SA Stuff: The CYOA is called moments and is in SAclopedia Looks like it started as a lost images thread but became more general.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why do so many headlines still refer to "Kate Middleton" rather than her title? Maybe referring to her as a duchess would have confused people, but as the Princess of Wales surely they can use that title? (weirdly, I see BBC headlines just calling her "Kate")

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Where do all those "Hillary Clinton as a space commander" avatars come from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

two fish posted:

I'm looking to take advantage of both a student discount and a credit card intro bonus to sign up for annual subscriptions to a whole bunch of magazines. Used to love reading them back in the day and I want to get back into it.

Basically I just want anything that has long articles for a broad range of topics. Like the New Yorker. What else is out there currently that doesn't suck?

The Atlantic is always good.