Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe this isn't a small question but: Is the chatter over TikTok valid or sensationalized? Some people that I trust to be intellectually honest are in favor of the ban, but considering what American social media companies get away with I just help but wonder if we're swept up in some jingoistic hysteria.

Pretty sure it's part McCarthyist anti-China hysteria, part AIPAC panicking about how badly Israel propaganda does on the platform, and part US politicians having their pockets filled with lobbying by Meta and X/Twitter. Also I'm pretty sure a lot of politicians own stock in Meta.

I don't think there's any reason to believe TikTok is using your data for anything more nefarious than any of the other corporations. US is abusing political power to make sure the domestic tech companies dominate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Several things are at play.

The stated reason for the bill is that TikTok collects a significant amount of data. It is also partially owned by the Chinese government, and a law in China requires them to hand data over to the government if asked. This creates a pretty plausible espionage concern.

Contrast with Facebook who, supposedly, have been willingly forking over data to the authorities about people getting abortions for a while now.

It's mostly the Gaza thing.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 15, 2024

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Extra row of tits posted:

Kinda off topic but the actual ending to the tortoise and the hair is hysterical.

The hair has a nap and loses the race, the tortoise is the winner so now he is “the fastest animal”. In his new role it’s his job to run thru the Forrest and warn the animals when there is a fire.

There’s a fire, he’s slow as gently caress, everyone dies.

It's funny, but not the original ending. This was added like a hundred years ago as a satirical take on it. The original "slow and steady wins the race" version everyone knows goes all the way back to Aesop of ancient Greece.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

alnilam posted:

I vaguely remember something from a story, probably a fantasy or medieval-ish one, where a messenger delivers a sealed letter to a nobleman or whatever and it says "please kill the bearer of this letter" because to the guy who wrote the message, the messenger guy has become a problem somehow.

I can't remember much else, can't even remember if I read it or watched it, and I'm sure it's happened in more than one story, but is there a big obvious one?

This seems like it would be a common trope in a lot of stories. Have someone deliver a confidential message, then have the messenger killed because no one should know about the message. I'm sure I've seen and read it a dozen times but I can't think of any examples.

Content warning: TV Tropes link
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PleaseShootTheMessenger

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

GlyphGryph posted:

The real question is what you would have to make money out of to be able to swim in it, with allowances perhaps for immersion in a medium.

Water

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

credburn posted:

Someone else pointed this out on the forums, but a lot of people are using the word "bespoke" lately. Why is that?

credburn posted:

Yeah but sometimes you can pinpoint what caused the bubble. Like if it was used in a popular song or was from an Avenger's movie catchphrase or something.

The recent trend started as a variant of the Broke/Woke meme I think.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wash bucket posted:

Do folks have opinions on that? I hear it so much I assumed people did it on purpose to provide... texture.

Also, thanks for the answer.

It's a very ordinary and often necessary effect of playing a stringed instrument, especially one with coiled strings. Experienced players understand it as such, but (particularly adult) beginners are often bothered by it because they think it's a sign of something wrong.

As for listening, ymmv, but in my opinion guitar music without it can sound very unnatural and fake, like it's a MIDI or something. Stuff like that are just part of the instrumentation to me, like hearing a singer take a breath between long sections.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Leave posted:

When the Sun explodes, will it take out the solar system?

It won't explode. It's not massive enough to do that. It'll just balloon up as the others said and slowly eject its outer mass over time.

If it were to explode I guess it might obliterate earth if it was spared during the red giant phase and strip some atmosphere from the outer gas giants, but I'm not an astrophysicist and am just going from what little I remember from the astrophysics electives I took like 15 years ago.

Edit: refresh the page before replying dummy :doh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Atahualpa posted:

On a related note, I remember an article making the rounds a few years back making the case that we could basically eliminate wasps with no major downsides to the overall ecosystem. I've always been skeptical of the claim, but is there anything to it? IIRC they said fig trees would suffer, but nothing else depends on the wasps or figs to a significant enough degree for their absence to cause much disruption.

Whoever wrote that article has no idea what they're talking about. In addition to what Dilden said about their role in herbivore control* they are way more important as pollinators than people like to think. It would absolutely be disastrous.

* To add: it isn't just the parasitoid species that do this. Wasp larvae are carnivores. Even the yellowjackets that feed on only sugar their whole adult lives are still bringing grubs back to the young to eat.

Hyperlynx posted:

I heard the other day that it might be okay to eliminate the specific mosquitoes that bite us (and cause malaria) because they pretty much evolved alongside us and aren't supporting ecosystems with their presence. And that there are plenty of other species of mosquito that don't bite humans, which mosquito-eating animals can eat.

Having trouble finding the source, though. I thought it might be the recent Sawbones ep on insects, only looking at the transcript it doesn't seem to be...

It isn't so much "eliminate human-biting mosquitoes" as it is "eliminate disease-carrying mosquitoes." I'd imagine that's a much smaller number of species.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

E: disregard