Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What is a flask for, besides sneaking alcohol into places where you're not meant to be drinking it? Is there actually any socially acceptable use, or is it all alcoholics trying to be debonair and people who don't want to buy drinks at the bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why not just bring the bottle the booze came in, though?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That makes sense.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

So I'm playing Batman Arkham City. Why is Batman putting up a stink about killing Ra's al-Ghul when I've literally been snapping Riddler mooks' necks all over the place?

They're just sleeping!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Organza Quiz posted:

What's the easiest way to turn a youtube video into a decent-quality mp3 of the audio from that video on my computer?

I just use http://www.youtube-mp3.org/.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Danger Mahoney posted:

A completely non-sweet version of ketchup, but with the same consistency. What sauce am I looking for?

Tomato paste maybe?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Werner-Boogle posted:

I just watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWE79K2Ii-s

This was my first exposure to UFC and I'm pretty shocked to be honest. In most of these clips, one of the guys very obviously falls to the floor and doesn't make moves to get up, but the other guy just loving jumps on him and SMASHES him in the face 3-4 times before the referee pulls him off. Isn't this sport incredibly dangerous? Has anyone died competing at a high level of UFC? Suffered major injuries/handicaps? Are there rules and/or punishments for excessive beatings after someone hits the floor? What the gently caress ARE the rules of UFC even? Can you just pound on the other guy until he loses consciousness?

It just seems so brutal is all. I mean christ, in some of the clips you can see blood stains on the arena and even old dried blood on the chest and face of some of the fighters.

You don't stop hitting them until the referee says you win for the same reason you don't stop playing a point in tennis until the ball is called out.

Getting the other guy down, getting on top of him and punching him in the face until he gives up or the ref ends the fight is a fairly common strategy, known as "ground and pound". There's no "excessive beatings", it's the ref's job to end the fight in a timely manner.

Note that you've literally watched a video full of knockouts. Quite often a blow might stagger or knock down someone but not knock them out, and they can and do recover from it. So you need to seize the advantage immediately and pound the snot out of them. It's not always clear that you've knocked them out, and again that's the ref's job afaik.

As for blood: yes, that happens when two beefy people beat the tar out of each other. I'm not sure what you expected. It happens in boxing as well.

As far as I know, the rules are no gouging, biting, small joint manipulation, blows to groin area. Some MMA leagues have no stomping on heads, not that that's particularly useful as a tactic. The fight stops when a fighter taps on the mat or his opponent, signalling he's given up (eg if someone wins by a painful joint lock), or if the ref calls it of course.

As for deaths in UFC: I don't know, but you're just as capable of googling the answer as I am. I can't imagine there's many, if any.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Apr 15, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Team_q posted:

Boxing/MMA is point based as well, just it can get interrupted, so is Judo, but you can't not say that it's violent. I guess most Martial arts are on a sliding scale.

If Chess wasn't so abstracted that the moves you performed in order to succeed directly mimicked what you could do to defeat someone, sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKcZwPb7C3k&t=85s

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AlphaKretin posted:

When and why did websites start having popups that explain that they use cookies as if that's not standard or okay?

There was some law passed by people who don't understand the internet, want to protect people's privacy, and heard that cookies have something to do with tracking people and privacy and stuff. So now websites that want to operate in that jurisdiction (the EU, I think) have to let you know that they use cookies.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah, it would be sexist. That example specifically wouldn't really be a thing because generally showing emotions is considered to be a "feminine" thing. Even if the phrase itself isn't suggesting that there's something wrong with behaving like a certain gender, even if it's a compliment, it's still sexist to suggest that a certain normal human behavior is only acceptable in one gender.

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/cultural-misunderstanding

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

pupdive posted:

First off, that is just major truckism.

Second, where do you live that people pronounce the first 'R' in Febyooairy?

Wait, do you meen Feb'ree?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

People put flowers in water to make them last longer. How come we don't put vegetables in water, in the fridge, to make them last longer?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

How come beer doesn't come in more sweet / fruity flavors? I've been drinking not your fathers because it's smooth and super sweet, and I'm wondering why more aren't like this.

Try pale ales. They tend to taste fruitier, though that's only really if you have a beer palate already I guess.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

JesustheDarkLord posted:

That is the worst possible answer

Ok. "If you're already drinking beer and want something fruitier, try pale ales. Otherwise, try cider or wine. Some beers do indeed taste fruitier, for beer. It doesn't usually come in different flavours because good beer is just water and grain flavoured with hops. If you want a sweeter drink and aren't into beer then that's fine too."

fishmech posted:

The reason water works for flowers is that it's the simplest way to keep them from wilting, supplying them with water, since they're still a bit alive.

Vegetables meanwhile usually aren't going to rot less just because there's water, and some of them will rot faster.
Sure, but how come it doesn't work, though?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

photomikey posted:

You can put some vegetables in water to make them last longer. Celery, carrots, scallions, herbs, etc. Why some and not others, I have no idea.

Cool! It was actually scallions I was thinking of, since the outer layers tend to dry up and need chucking out before I manage to get through the whole bunch.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Bravo posted:

Dude, he said it is the worst possible answer because Pale Ales are more bitter and less fruity than other types of beer. For christ's sake, an alternate name for Pale Ale is Bitter!. It's so distinctly more bitter than normal beer that they loving named it bitter. I'm probably falling for the troll hard here, but I seriously want to know on what planet a pale ale is a sweeter, more fruity beer option.

v:shobon:v I'm being serious. I find Little Creatures, 4 Pines, James Squire and Sierra Nevada pale ales taste fruitier than other types of beer. To me, Sierra Nevada tasted of passionfruit. But there's every possibility that I'm accidentally beer snobbing hard here.

quote:

no different beer flavours
OK, poorly worded. I meant you (I?) don't usually see, say, strawberry flavoured, mango flavoured, grape flavoured.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Earwicker posted:

I agree, I'm not a big pale ale fan but some of them definitely have a fruity taste. I'm not really sure what that poster is getting at by emphasizing bitter because there are all kinds of drinks and foods that are both very bitter and very sweet at the same time, it's so common we should really have a word for it..

Strawberry is one of the most common flavors of lambic. Grape is not all that rare either.

Oh, I see! I guess I am in fact not beer snobbing hard enough... Come to think of it, I have tried kriek cherry beer. I assumed that was due to a special type of hops, rather than actually putting cherries in it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

kapalama posted:

This. This is what Stupid/Small Questions thread exists.

Have you tried anything else, and more importantly, how come everyone does not already know this. (My first blush guess is that scallions can kill cats if the eat them, but)

Oh holy poo poo, I missed this. I gave the dried, wrinkled scallion skins to my cats, who ate them. gently caress. That was a few evenings ago, and they seem fine, so I guess they dodged a bullet?

e: phoned the vet. They're probably OK; I'm to keep an eye on them and only panic if they get worse.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 1, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Bravo posted:

You just used the synonym he was given to explain it. :psyduck:

You're being needlessly, and incorrectly, pedantic here. If you say "Your character has a sword with a 20% chance to trigger fire damage on hit" that is exactly the same thing as saying "Your character has a sword with a 20% chance to proc fire damage on a hit." The only difference is that it uses a synonym which 99% of the population will understand, instead of a word that only, what, 15% will? Maybe 30%, at best?

You seem very upset. Did you need a proc warning?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How come bars and restaurants list their wines on the menu but almost never list their beers?

Annoying if you want to know how much a pint of whatever is going to cost before you order it, or if you want to know what beers a pub has before you go there, the menu is on their website but their beers aren't..

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

Someone argued with me that they could kill their target with a syringe of isopropyl alcohol, the fight went on for 30 minutes, and he wouldn't accept the guy wouldn't just drop over dead, which made me curious to look it up. I google'd it saw nothing and came over here. I hoped saying "This is for a tabletop RPG" would make it less weird.

TBF: The player in question worries me at times with his specificity.

You're going about it the wrong way. Make the judgement based on whether or not it suits the gameplay you want, not based on whether it is or isn't factually correct.

e: think of it in terms of game balance. If you allow your players to use a syringe full of stuff to instakill someone in a fight, you should take care that the stuff is harder to get ahold of/more expensive than their usual weapons, otherwise it is overpowered and they'll use nothing else.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

The answer to the alcohol question, you need almost an entire bottle of the stuff, so I was definitely in the right. I already know pigs don't eat bodies in a day, and with that much chrome, it wouldn't matter. The player is throwing a fit though :(

Sounds like a case for https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460258&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=220 . It's more telling stories about tabletop sessions, usually about lovely players, but you might be able to get some advice there on how to deal with your entitled whiner player.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Given that spirits are made from boiling off ethanol from a liquid and then condensing it, how come different spirits have different characteristics as drinks? Why is it that rum, brandy, vodka, tequila etc taste different? Surely it can't be what is fermented to make them, because the distillation produces pure ethanol, right? Is it just a matter of difference in how the distilled liquid is aged?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

uwaeve posted:

In addition to the aging aspect, I don't think the distillation processes produce 100% pure ethanol, and you are getting some of the lower boiling point material as well.

e: http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/15413/why-do-distilled-alcoholic-beverages-taste-different-from-each-other

Great! Thanks.

Mr. Squishy posted:

You're not drinking pure ethanol, you idiot.

Obviously, you idiot, because the barrels the stuff is aged in imparts ingredients as well, which I said in my post. And they dilute it with water. It was pretty clear from my question that I wanted to know why it isn't ethanol with barrel flavours, not that I thought it was pure ethanol.

In conclusion: go gently caress yourself.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 18, 2016

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

YggiDee posted:

Okay, I know Iron Man has as much in common with real science as, uh, two wildly dissimilar things, but from a medical standpoint how many horrible problems would be caused by having a big ol' hunk of metal in the middle of the sternum? Like I'm no doctor but wouldn't a giant hole in your chest bones screw up the lungs and ribs?

While we're at it: has he lost his mind? Can he see, or is he blind?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Through The Decade posted:

I'm sure this question will have a really obvious answer but I haven't had to buy a cellphone for myself in over 10 years and even then it was just a pay-as-you-go. There wasn't even such a thing as an iPhone back when I was last shopping around, I've always had one provided by my work. I'm getting a different job now and so I will have to go out into the wild and get one for myself.

When I'm shopping around every plan says something like "2 year term $198.95 or no term for $839.95". I naturally assume the no term is the correct way to go right? The websites don't break down the info at all so I'm not even sure if that $198 is monthly or yearly or what. At the end of those 2 years do they take the phone back if you don't renegotiate for a new contract with them? I can't think of a company that lets you space out payments on a product with no benefit to themselves, or maybe I'm just that much out of the loop.

Would I be even better off if I just bought a last years model, like the iPhone 6, off some guy and then just got a contract?

Read the full fine print of any contact you are considering signing - phone plan or otherwise - and if there's any part you don't understand or aren't sure of then don't sign it.

That said, in general, when you get a phone as part of an X month plan where you pay $Y each month for a phone and phone service, once the X months are up you own the phone. It's like hire purchase.

Also like hire purchase it generally works out better to buy the thing outright. It's usually more money in one hit, but works or less than the X x $Y.

But you need to run the specific numbers for the specific plans you're considering to see what works out cheapest, and while I've never heard of a phone company expecting their handset back at the end of the contract I would read the hell out of the contract in question to find out, rather than take the word of an internet stranger.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Follow up on re: mom/Alzheimer's situation:

Dad just informed me that the Alzheimer's is already affecting my mom physically, so much so that when they were in the airport eating steak, my mom started choking on her steak and ended up vomiting her food due to choking all over the table. As he says this matter-of-factly to me at my house before leaving.

E: I... seriously think I need to see a therapist for my own sake. Dealing with this poo poo is going to kill me and I know it. :smith:

Any idea how soon I can enroll for Obamacare? I am currently uninsured and in the process of applying for Medicaid, so I'm on the ball with trying to get health insurance at least.

Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Mate, you should really start an E/N thread. Yeah the place has gone a bit downhill since the mods have got more laissez faire about shitposting, but I guarantee you you will get some good, well meaning replies. You are not a gently caress-up, like so many E/N OPs are; nobody of any worth is going to give you poo poo for your mum having Alzheimer's.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'd like to look at mine but the camera guy was a friend of my wife's family (stop me if you've heard this one) and we didn't get a single picture from the wedding. Film got messed up or light wasn't right or god knows what, I don't remember. All I know is I have no pictures of my wedding and 18 years later I'm still pissed about it.

Get good pictures taken.

Uh...
https://youtu.be/x0GqVpW2A1w

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What do DJs do?

I thought it was analogous to playing an instrument - mashing together multiple songs and scratching and stuff to play a new song using the other songs as pieces. But I've seen DJs just fiddle with their equipment for a bit and then just walk off, get a beer, and let the music play by itself.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

syscall girl posted:

Now the NSA has your buttprint doofus.

Good.

https://youtu.be/lzAuXuxD0Oo

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Manslaughter posted:

Where is GBS?

Where it belongs... in the garbage! :smug:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

When I was a small child at school, we sang a song where:

One group sings the first part of the song. Let's call them group A.
Group A sings the second part while a different group of kids sing the first part. Let's call the new group of kids group B.
Group B sings the second part, group A sings the the third part, and a new group C starts singing the first part of the song.
Group A sings the fourth part of the song, while group B sings the third part of the song, group C sings the second part of the song, and a new group of kids starts singing the first part of the song.

And so on. Each group sings the whole song all the way through, they just start when the previous group has finished singing their allotted part.

So! The question: I was told, as a small child, that this type of song is called a "round". But try as I might I cannot find any other references to this type of singing/arrangement as being "a round". Does this type of arrangement have a term?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Right, gotcha - the term actually is actually a round. So whatever it was I was searching with I wasn't getting the right results.

Tried again just now, and found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdkGEVqLXs

Incredible dexterity that she's able to point to the caterpillar with her right leg while it's crawling up the same leg.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I'm sick of hearing about it and want it to be over with. And really, really hope you guys don't gently caress this up and elect Trump.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

socketwrencher posted:

How much is math ability correlated with coding ability? If someone is struggling mightily with vector calculus, is it any indication that comp sci may not be for them?

I'm a programmer who took comp sci and is terrible at maths. They made us do hardcore calculus in first year and I struggled tremendously. I've never used it since, and I'm a pretty good programmer.

I think the idea is that some people find it easy to understand computer science concepts via their mathematical definitions, and that if someone has a talent for maths they can use it to understand programming. Personally I take to computer science concepts by themselves.

I can describe a tree structure or a binary search or whatever just fine, but if you asked me to define either in mathematical terms I'd be screwed.

I'd say go for it. Struggle through the maths bullshit and see if the pure programming and comp sci stuff is for them.

Although, on the back of that university fees argument, maybe this is bad advice unless you live somewhere tertiary education is either free or is a government loan that's paid back via your tax (and so if you're not earning enough money to pay tax you aren't having to make repayments).

OK. I'd try out learning some programming first and see if I liked it. There's more to pure comp sci than programming though, so maybe take a look at data structures and algorithms and such and see if they're at all interesting

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

socketwrencher posted:

This is really interesting and helpful, thanks for sharing your experience. This is regarding my cousin who's more like a younger brother. My sense is that he also "takes to computer science concepts by themselves" rather than via math. He likes programming, has created a couple apps and is currently working with a couple friends on a more complicated app. He's also interested in AI so he thought comp sci was the way to go to get a broader background. Maybe he's just run into a temporary crisis of confidence and can find a way to power through vector and be done with it.

If he already likes programming, I'd say absolutely go for it and just struggle through the maths. I'd say he's spot on about comp sci giving a broader background. It gives you a deeper one, too, covering foundational knowledge. I don't use what I learned about logic gates, assembly programming and language theory in my day to day work, but I do think the grounding in those subjects made me a better programmer. Calculus not so much, but I didn't have a choice there...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

bongwizzard posted:

Just smell it. Smells good, eat. Smells bad, give to dad.

Can't tell how serious you're being, but this is really, really bad advice. Food can be contaminated with bacteria long before it's started to rot and smell bad. Also, nuking the hell out of food that's been left out too long doesn't make it safe to eat either - you do kill the bacteria, but it leaves behind all their pathogens.

Baron Porkface posted:

Does South Africa have 4 distinct seasons and extensive snowfall?

Yes to the first part, no to the second. What makes you think having four seasons also means it snows in winter?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why did the guillotine go out of fashion, anyway? You can botch shooting, hanging, gassing, electrocuting and injecting, but it seems really, really hard to screw up "drop sharp heavy blade onto neck"

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Guys why do people use one word when they could use this synonym instead? Why do we even have synonyms? Or so many words anyway? I think word are dumb. I'm just going to use the word "blah" from now on whenever I blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

WarpedNaba posted:

Okay, I'm kinda fed up.

One of my flatmates is paranoid schizophrenic, or so he claims. He also claims that the doctor diagnosed him with restless leg syndrome that has nothing to do with the ten cups of tea with four sugars that he has daily.

Since I moved into this flat in March, he's been screaming at his legs at odd hours of the night and it's pissing everyone the hell off because we all lose about 4 hours of sleep to him each and every night he does this poo poo. He refuses to take a walk outside and just stamps around the room screaming at the (thin) walls. He is currently screaming the house down for the third day in a row.

Now, I could use earplugs, but then I don't hear the alarm in the mornings. I could shout at him to shut the gently caress up and otherwise intimidate him into screaming down the streets, but if he's an actual nutcase there could be legal action involved if I do so. I could point this out to the landlady, but I suspect she already knows given that the rent hasn't increased all year (And is probably the lowest I've seen in the area).

How do I silence this guy.

Legally.

Without my rent going up.

edit: Okay and humanely I guess - but whatever.

Silly question, but have you tried taking to him about it (without yelling at him)?

Other than that, I'd look at moving out. If you're both on the lease, it's as much his place as it is yours and so it would probably be very difficult to kick him out.

But get him to stop? If he won't listen to reason I don't think there's anything you can do but leave. And consider subletting next time, if you can, so that you can kick out an annoying flatmate